Capital One

Average Difficulty
34 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 6 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in May 2014.

Interview Details – I applied thru their career portal and within a day or two got a call from a recruiter. We discussed about my previous experience and at the end of the discussion he scheduled my on-site interview for about a month later. I had to call up the travel agent to make necessary travel arrangements. They covered the flight charges, stay and provided a cab facility for all the time.

On-Site:
There were a total of 3 interviews - 2 case and 1 behavioral. The recruiter had earlier asked me to go thru the book "Case in point" and if you do so you will be able to handle the cases easily. The behavioral consisted of 3 scenarios (the recruiter shared a set of 10 standard questions and all the 3 were from that list) and a few other company-fit traits squeezed in here and there.

All the 3 interviews were 45 min long. You will have enough time to think and solve the cases and to ask any questions to the interviewer. They say you wont be competing with other candidates who will also be present the same day but I think they judge you and rate you with the other candidates.

The results were shared in about 5 business days.

Interview Question – You get to know your performance of the 2 case interviews immediately. The only difference is the behavioral part. They do no test you on any specific skill set so in some sense the result might sound random.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Long process, phone and then 2 hours of assessment testing, then 9 face to face interviews, in the end it wasn't the right place for me.

Interview Question – What is your favorite color?   Answer Question

Interviewed at Capital One

Interview Details – Everyone was very friendly, helpful, willing to answer any questions honestly.

Interview Question – Be prepared for the behavioral questions. Prepare scenarios ahead of time.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Interview Details – The gentleman who came for my behavioral interview wore a shirt with a big stain on it and one button broken. He asked me 2 situations that I've genuinely never faced in my life, and when I told him so he seemed disappointed and said 'well can you think of something, I've to write details on this form'. So I gave him the best possible answers and he went on to furiously write down every word I was saying. In the 40 min interview he filled out 3 A4 size pages! He was less involved in what I had to say and seemed to want to get rid of 'interview duty'. I then had a case interview with a lady who I feel mislead me in my case causing me to make a mistake. Case interviewers are supposed to guide you because it helps ascertain if you're trainable. When I tried to retrace my steps she said we've run out of time (though we started late) and left. My other case interviewer was very good and was the only positive experience I had at the company.

Interview Question – Nothing out of the ordinary   Answer Question

McLean, VA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2012.

Interview Details – Power day:They made me drive to McLean even though I was applying for a role in Richmond and they do Power Days there as well.
A few cases studies involving solving a business problem. The idea is to show how you can do the math as well as see why each iteration in the problem yields a contradictory answer.
Behavioral interview. "Tell me about a time where..." etc. If you know the SOAR method, you should be fine.

Interview Question – Some very specific job skill related questions such as: Do you know the difference between a left join, inner join, and outer join?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Instead of the higher salary, I was given a large signing bonus. That actually worked out for the best since I wasn't there long enough to accumulate the gains from a higher salary.

Senior Business Analyst

I applied online and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One in December 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online. Two months later I received an email from the HR regarding my interest in having an interview with the hiring manager. There were not any behavioral questions from HR. For instance, I started talking directly with the hiring manager. All I can say I was about to hang up. The interview was very unprofessional. I am not sure this person knew what he had to ask. For instance, he asked a very unrelated questions about IT architecture data.

Interview Question – There were not difficult questions. I was just completely frustrated for the lack of formality in the interview. If it were not enough, at the very end I asked this person what would be next step "I do not know, you should contact the HR, he may know about it".   View Answer

Senior Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in January 2013.

Interview Details – Started with a Phone interview and an online assessment test. Pretty difficult if you haven't touched up on High School Algebra in awhile. Make sure to work the practice questions they have. Passed the online assessment and was called in to an in person interview. Be prepared to meet IVY league college graduate candidates. 3 Round Case interview. First was behavioral, and other 2 were actual case studies identified around what you're interviewing for, whether it's home loans, mortgage, credit etc. Overall tough interview, just take it easy and breathe!

Interview Question – Case study questions are very in depth and have a lot of calculation based results. You will have to work your way through the problem.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2013.

Interview Details – HR was very professional throughout the process, and the interviewers seemed like extremely intelligent professionals. I had a phone interview with HR, followed by an on-site visit, which consisted of a behavioral interview and two case interviews (conducted at the Richmond location). The "super day" involved a really good lunch and a nice tour of the Richmond offices.

Interview Question – One of the cases involved regression analysis, so make sure you're familiar with interpreting data/graphs!   Answer Question

Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2010.

Interview Details – Pre-interview consisted of a quick phone interview with the recruiter, followed by 2 online evaluations, one personality, one mathematical. The on-site interview consisted of 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview. Capital One provides examples on their website of cases, which I found helpful. I also recommend supplementing with other case interviewing resources available online for free. Ditto for BI question examples. I found by cataloging examples and going through them several times on my own, I was well-prepared.

Interview Question – This is kind of my point. By writing out longhand answers to 40-50 example BI questions I found online, I had enough solid material to adapt to any question anyone could ask, so I was not thrown off by any questions in the actual interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was a little weird. The recruiter said he was able to negotiate, but he would not counter directly, and wanted to take the approach of 'give me a number and I'll check'. That's not exactly what I call 'negotiating', but in the end I stood firm well above his lowball offer and got a good figure.

Interviewed at Capital One

Interview Details – 1 hr interview
1 math and verbal test
3 case interviews
1 behavioral interview

Interview Question – case interview with a partner from Bain   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Easy, got what i asked for

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!