Capital One Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jul 22, 2015

3.3

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Reached by a Recruiter for a power day. Three cases and two behavioral interview. Met two senior managers and one vp before lunch, after lunch were called back to met a director. Case study exams business logic with basic calculation. Overall company atmosphere is great. All managers were nice and helpful. Still waiting for decision.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

1 behavioral + 2 case interviews. One of the cases is heavy on quant and calculations are recalled for future questions within the case. The cases are not necessarily based on banking industry problems. They are used to assess the candidate's problem solving approach. Not much time given for questions to be posed by the candidate after the case is completed. So do ask your best questions.

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Great Experience, very helpful and knowledgeable interviewers “Tell me about a time when you had to anticipate a problem and resolve it before it became an issue. Tell me about a time when you had a difficult team to deal with.” “Tell me about a time when you had to anticipate a problem and resolve it before it became an issue. Tell me about a time when you had a difficult team to deal with.”

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in May 2015.

Interview

A friend of mine referred my resume and within 2 days I got a call from recruiter, it's a phone screening asking about my willingness to relocate, some info about the position, and scheduled a on-site interview for me. On the interview day, there were 8 of us interviewing and none of us made it to the next round.

Interview Questions

• How's the contact lens market in the US. (Then the interviewers provided some details to calculate revenue, profit, and asked some percentage changes of the answers I got)   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

For an Internal hire, there are two case interviews and require that the candidate pass in both. For external hire, the process is called Power Day. There will be three cases and two behavioral interviews. Required to pass 2 cases and not sure about the behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you calculate Break Even Point? What are some of the costs involved in running a business? How to calculate Net Value of the customer and Profit based on specific products?   1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

- Got contacted by recruiter via LinkedIn. - Set up a phone 30 min phone interview and asked about my background, current work etc - Got set up for a 'Superday' at the Richmond office - Superday was 2 case rounds and 1 behaviorial interview, then lunch with a current associate - After lunch, I had to go through one additional case, but other candidates did not

Interview Questions

• - Behaviorial was pretty standard stuff, just read their list of 10 questions and look up some more online. They really prefer the STAR method of answering questions. - Case 1: related to Term Life Insurance. What would you charge a potential customer with a $8,000 payout and a 4% chance of death? - Case 2: related to Credit Card product. What ways would you drive additional revenue amongst the different client segments   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

After a half hour phone interview I was invited to Richmond for a "Super Day" type interview. Prepare to be wooed. Stayed at the Hilton and got a full tour of their Google/Space City "Campus" which includes perks like an onsite chiropractor and various full sized athletic fields. Note: I'm a liberal arts grad, and was the only one from our group of 14 that powerday. The first case was about de/re-regulating a utilities market and the effect it would have on price. This one was easy since you can propose and evaluate methods of regulating markets through other real-world examples (ex: power, water, cable, airlines) and the math was simple. I was only asked 3 behavioral questions, so I would pick robust examples. The last case was far more difficult and was essentially a series of math problems in a general business context. The case included solving for profits, break-even and possibly a maximization/curve, which is where I got stuck. All three interviewers I met with had masters in statistics or engineering. I think this interview/position is certainly possible for a "creative" with some studying but is far better suited for a "quant".

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to learn to get to an objective.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview scheduled after the recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn; Get back from the recruiter four days after the phone interview; Event though the recruiter said I seemed to be a strong fit for the position, I didn't make it to the next round because the decision makers thought I might not be the best fit for the team

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about yourself; Tell me more about your experience in strategic planning   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied online, got the email for phone interview in a week. During the phone interview, the recruiter asked about my experience and a few quantitative questions.Then asked some behavioral questions like what's your strength etc.

Interview Questions

• Solving problems and calculate stuff was not easy over phone.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in McLean, VA

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIN and I had a screening call with him. He asked me to go over my resume and zeroed in on one experience I had with analyzing a large data set. I was scheduled for a Super Day the following week. The recruiter was extremely helpful and friendly- wish all recruiters could be this nice. I thought it was a bit strange that I bypassed the first round phone interview. The Super Day itself was standard and other reviewers prepared me for what to expect. Each interviewee were assigned his/her own room and the interviewers come in. The first was a behavioral interview. While a 10-question list was sent in advance for preparation, I was not asked any of the questions on the list. The three questions I was asked were similar enough to those of the list that I wasn't caught off guard. The interviewer then probed further on certain points, taking notes on the company's standardized forms. After that, I had two case interviews with an hour break between the two. The interviewers were both very nice- I didn't feel intimidated or stressed. While I had limited experience with case interviews, I didn't think the questions were difficult. They were both focused on credit cards, but didn't require industry knowledge (though some of it could make ideas flow faster). I tend to be a little slow and uncertain on the math which could have hurter me. I'm also not super organized on paper, which caused me to make some errors and definitely hurt me. The interviewers helped guide through the whole case and made sure the case came to a close, which was nice- a great way to learn and understand the case too. I once had a case interview I couldn't solve and the interviewer wouldn't reveal the answer, despite my genuine curiosity to learn. Then came lunch- three employees came to take the group of interviewees for lunch. Everyone got a chance to speak to one of them at least once, but there was always one person attached to each analyst. Some interviewees just ended up talking among themselves. The cafeteria there is pretty awesome, and it's subsidized too. After lunch, we went on the tour of the building which was nice. Its a large campus with a super corporate feel. After that, everyone went back to their rooms and the recruiter came to each one to reveal whether a third case interview was needed. While she insisted that being left out of the third case interview does not mean you will not get an offer, I think it kind of is a strong indicator. About half of the interviewee group was sent home. I heard back the next day that I was rejected. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the recruiter did mention several times that less than 30% of the interviewees go on to receive offers. The whole process from screening to rejection was about a week, so quite a fast process.

Interview Questions

• Case was pretty standard. Both about profit maximization, so be sure to know how to calculate profit.   Answer Question