Capital One

Updated Nov 26, 2014

3.3

37 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in August 2014.

A recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIN and I had a screening call with him. He asked me to go over my resume and zeroed in on one experience I had with analyzing a large data set. I was scheduled for a Super Day the following week. The recruiter was extremely helpful and friendly- wish all recruiters could be this nice. I thought it was a bit strange that I bypassed the first round phone interview.

The Super Day itself was standard and other reviewers prepared me for what to expect. Each interviewee were assigned his/her own room and the interviewers come in. The first was a behavioral interview. While a 10-question list was sent in advance for preparation, I was not asked any of the questions on the list. The three questions I was asked were similar enough to those of the list that I wasn't caught off guard. The interviewer then probed further on certain points, taking notes on the company's standardized forms.

After that, I had two case interviews with an hour break between the two. The interviewers were both very nice- I didn't feel intimidated or stressed. While I had limited experience with case interviews, I didn't think the questions were difficult. They were both focused on credit cards, but didn't require industry knowledge (though some of it could make ideas flow faster). I tend to be a little slow and uncertain on the math which could have hurter me. I'm also not super organized on paper, which caused me to make some errors and definitely hurt me. The interviewers helped guide through the whole case and made sure the case came to a close, which was nice- a great way to learn and understand the case too. I once had a case interview I couldn't solve and the interviewer wouldn't reveal the answer, despite my genuine curiosity to learn.

Then came lunch- three employees came to take the group of interviewees for lunch. Everyone got a chance to speak to one of them at least once, but there was always one person attached to each analyst. Some interviewees just ended up talking among themselves. The cafeteria there is pretty awesome, and it's subsidized too. After lunch, we went on the tour of the building which was nice. Its a large campus with a super corporate feel.

After that, everyone went back to their rooms and the recruiter came to each one to reveal whether a third case interview was needed. While she insisted that being left out of the third case interview does not mean you will not get an offer, I think it kind of is a strong indicator. About half of the interviewee group was sent home.

I heard back the next day that I was rejected. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the recruiter did mention several times that less than 30% of the interviewees go on to receive offers. The whole process from screening to rejection was about a week, so quite a fast process.

Interview Questions
  • Case was pretty standard. Both about profit maximization, so be sure to know how to calculate profit.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in May 2014.

I applied thru their career portal and within a day or two got a call from a recruiter. We discussed about my previous experience and at the end of the discussion he scheduled my on-site interview for about a month later. I had to call up the travel agent to make necessary travel arrangements. They covered the flight charges, stay and provided a cab facility for all the time.

On-Site:
    There were a total of 3 interviews - 2 case and 1 behavioral. The recruiter had earlier asked me to go thru the book "Case in point" and if you do so you will be able to handle the cases easily. The behavioral consisted of 3 scenarios (the recruiter shared a set of 10 standard questions and all the 3 were from that list) and a few other company-fit traits squeezed in here and there.

All the 3 interviews were 45 min long. You will have enough time to think and solve the cases and to ask any questions to the interviewer. They say you wont be competing with other candidates who will also be present the same day but I think they judge you and rate you with the other candidates.

The results were shared in about 5 business days.

Interview Questions
    • You get to know your performance of the 2 case interviews immediately. The only difference is the behavioral part. They do no test you on any specific skill set so in some sense the result might sound random.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One.

Long process, phone and then 2 hours of assessment testing, then 9 face to face interviews, in the end it wasn't the right place for me.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Everyone was very friendly, helpful, willing to answer any questions honestly.

Interview Questions
    • Be prepared for the behavioral questions. Prepare scenarios ahead of time.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

The gentleman who came for my behavioral interview wore a shirt with a big stain on it and one button broken. He asked me 2 situations that I've genuinely never faced in my life, and when I told him so he seemed disappointed and said 'well can you think of something, I've to write details on this form'. So I gave him the best possible answers and he went on to furiously write down every word I was saying. In the 40 min interview he filled out 3 A4 size pages! He was less involved in what I had to say and seemed to want to get rid of 'interview duty'. I then had a case interview with a lady who I feel mislead me in my case causing me to make a mistake. Case interviewers are supposed to guide you because it helps ascertain if you're trainable. When I tried to retrace my steps she said we've run out of time (though we started late) and left. My other case interviewer was very good and was the only positive experience I had at the company.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One in December 2013.

I applied online. Two months later I received an email from the HR regarding my interest in having an interview with the hiring manager. There were not any behavioral questions from HR. For instance, I started talking directly with the hiring manager. All I can say I was about to hang up. The interview was very unprofessional. I am not sure this person knew what he had to ask. For instance, he asked a very unrelated questions about IT architecture data.

Interview Questions
    • There were not difficult questions. I was just completely frustrated for the lack of formality in the interview. If it were not enough, at the very end I asked this person what would be next step "I do not know, you should contact the HR, he may know about it".   View Answer

1 hr interview
    1 math and verbal test
    3 case interviews
    1 behavioral interview

Interview Questions
    • case interview with a partner from Bain   View Answer
    Easy, got what i asked for

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One.

I got a call from Capital One, basically intend to schedule the upcoming on site interview.
    I was send to McLean office for whole day interview. Two cases and one behavior. Cases are all about Capital One current business and product pricing strategy. I didn't get the chance to get to the final round which was supposed to be held after lunch.
    Actually for all seven candidates that day, Capital One basically didn't pick anyone.

Interview Questions
    • I've never practice case interview before, feel a little bit overwhelming by the cases. They are not easy to handle.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in March 2013.

HR was very professional throughout the process, and the interviewers seemed like extremely intelligent professionals. I had a phone interview with HR, followed by an on-site visit, which consisted of a behavioral interview and two case interviews (conducted at the Richmond location). The "super day" involved a really good lunch and a nice tour of the Richmond offices.

Interview Questions
    • One of the cases involved regression analysis, so make sure you're familiar with interpreting data/graphs!   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in January 2013.

Started with a Phone interview and an online assessment test. Pretty difficult if you haven't touched up on High School Algebra in awhile. Make sure to work the practice questions they have. Passed the online assessment and was called in to an in person interview. Be prepared to meet IVY league college graduate candidates. 3 Round Case interview. First was behavioral, and other 2 were actual case studies identified around what you're interviewing for, whether it's home loans, mortgage, credit etc. Overall tough interview, just take it easy and breathe!

Interview Questions
    • Case study questions are very in depth and have a lot of calculation based results. You will have to work your way through the problem.   Answer Question