Capital One Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions

3.3

35 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online - interviewed at Capital One.

I got a call from Capital One, basically intend to schedule the upcoming on site interview.
I was send to McLean office for whole day interview. Two cases and one behavior. Cases are all about Capital One current business and product pricing strategy. I didn't get the chance to get to the final round which was supposed to be held after lunch.
Actually for all seven candidates that day, Capital One basically didn't pick anyone.

Interview Questions
  • I've never practice case interview before, feel a little bit overwhelming by the cases. They are not easy to handle.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in September 2011.

The Interview process is fairly quick and they place a lot of emphasis on ability and not on skills.

First there is a call from a recruiter to reconfirm interest.

After this you take an online assessment, which for most anyone who is not afraid of math is not very difficult.

Then they fly you o DC or Richmond and set you up with 3 or 4 interviews.

1 interview will be a personality test which is more or less the same as all other interviews at other companies.

The other 2-3 interviews can only be compared to a simpler form of consulting interviews where they give you a case and you have to solve it and figure out the best way to sell something or save cost etc.

Interview Questions
    • They gave me a question about airline telephones. They wanted me to evaluate the economics of buying out a company that provides telephone service that can be used on airplanes. The parameters were taken from the airline telephone industry back in the 90's when that industry was beginning to fail because of the growth spurt of cell phones.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at Capital One in September 2010.

The interview process was very fast and standardized. I had a conversation with the recruiter on the phone for twice and then took the online test for both personality and quant skills (verbal & numeric, similar to GMAT). After I clear the test, i got a call from the recruiter and set a onsite interview a week later. The day on campus was very intensive. I got two case interviews (very quant but only focus on the credit card industry) and two behavioral interviews in the morning, then was taken to lunch by two employees with other interviewees. After lunch, I was informed I will be given another additional round of case interview. Three days later I got a call from the recruiter was offered the position. Generally speaking, how well you do in the case interview is much more import than how well you do in the behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you convince someone with different opinions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  McLean, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in September 2011.

Was contacted via email from resume submission through university career website. Given phone interview and emailed a skills/quantitative test similar to the GMAT but a very shortened version. Passed the test and scheduled to interview at corporate headquarters. Interview consisted of three interviews, one behavioral and two case studies. Behavioral was pretty straight forward. Mostly, basic Q's that ask to tell about a time when you had to learn something new or led a team. The two case studies were about a ferry boat and call center.

Overall, it was the most thorough interview process that I have been involved with. Did not get an offer but I thought it was fair and forthcoming. Good luck to all interviewees!

Interview Questions
    • Ferry boat service from one end of a bay to another in Australia. How to make business more profitable?   Answer Question
    • Call center problems. How to make center more proficient and asked to articulate patterns from call volumes throughout week.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

The process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in June 2010.

The hiring process with Capital One began very quickly. After expressing interest, I received a phone call from a recruiter on a Monday morning. That same day I completed personality and skills tests and by Tuesday morning had an invitation to interview in Plano that Friday, which I accepted. On Friday, I met with three interviewers, one for company fit and two giving case interviews. The case interviews seemed mostly straightforward but the interviewers would not give feedback after the discussion ended. Within a week, I received an email informing me that they were pursuing other candidates.

Interview Questions
    • Calculate the breakeven number of credit card holders we need to have to cover these marketing and card expenses.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

The entire recruiting process was well-structured and smooth. Overall the super day was a good experience.

So...case interviews - IMO you can't really prep for it as they aren't typical consulting cases. No need for fancy strategy frameworks.

A few things to keep in mind:
    - Cases are number-driven. The difficult part is to come up with an equation. Try to calculate #s in your head as hinted by the interviewers. They would change different variables and assess how you approach the problem.
    - Understand the concept of break-even & profitability well. By "well" I mean you need to know how to plot different scenarios on a chart.

2 cases I had were:
    1) Comparing cashback reward cards vs. standard credit cards. Determine profitability. Remember to convert APR to a monthly rate if you are looking at monthly profits.

2) Credit card application. 2 channels: one through email agents, another through live chat. Compare which channel is more profitable. Be sure to differentiate # of customers vs. # of application processed.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One in May 2011.

I was sent an email on Career builder that they were recruiting for people with high levels of quantitative skills. I sent my resume in, and was later contacted by a recruiter. He called me for a phone interview that literally took 5 minutes, then directed me to take the online assessments. The personality portion is easy. The quantitative is a bit more difficult, and involves analyzing charts and graphs. Only difficult because of the time constraints. The verbal portion is semi difficult because it intentionality tries to trick you.

After that, was scheduled for a final round interview in Richmond. The interview day consisted of 2 behavioral and 2 case interviews. The behaviorals are easy, but the cases can be tricky, and are nothing like the case on the Capital one site. A lot of how well you do hinges on who your interviewer is. One of mine was very very standoffish.

Anyways, if you don't ace the cases, you won't get hired. I was there with approximately 15 people, all from good school, and many with years and years of experience, and advanced degrees. Very few of us got offers.

I personally think that their interview process is absurd to say the least. They spend almost no time interviewing you before you get flown in. Once you are there, your past experience does not matter, just your performance on cases, which would be easy if It weren't for the time and pressure constraints. Truly a worthless tool for identifying talent. I know that they are letting tons of talented people fall through the cracks, but I guess it works for them. I'm just mad I wasted a vacation day for such a silly process

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Toronto, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2011.

Took assessment test after applying online. After passing the phone interview I was invited to interview on site, where I was told I would receive a behavioural and case interview. Behavioural interview consisted of only three main questions, so be prepared to go in details about your experiences. Case interviews are straightforward, and you just need to know a few econ/math concepts.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in June 2012.

should be very thorough about the graphical interpretation questions; behavioral questions and team building and conflict resolution scenarios.

You will be interviewed atleast by 4 people on various subjects including technical and non technical rounds. People who interview are the one who are trained to perform the interviews and are usualoly very irrational when proving the feedback. the best of the people are only selected and offered a jon

was low balled by the hiring manager.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Capital One.

Long process, phone and then 2 hours of assessment testing, then 9 face to face interviews, in the end it wasn't the right place for me.

Interview Questions

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!