Capital One

Updated May 27, 2014

Average Difficulty
34 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in September 2011.

Interview Details – The Interview process is fairly quick and they place a lot of emphasis on ability and not on skills.

First there is a call from a recruiter to reconfirm interest.

After this you take an online assessment, which for most anyone who is not afraid of math is not very difficult.

Then they fly you o DC or Richmond and set you up with 3 or 4 interviews.

1 interview will be a personality test which is more or less the same as all other interviews at other companies.

The other 2-3 interviews can only be compared to a simpler form of consulting interviews where they give you a case and you have to solve it and figure out the best way to sell something or save cost etc.

Interview Question – They gave me a question about airline telephones. They wanted me to evaluate the economics of buying out a company that provides telephone service that can be used on airplanes. The parameters were taken from the airline telephone industry back in the 90's when that industry was beginning to fail because of the growth spurt of cell phones.   View Answer

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at Capital One in September 2010.

Interview Details – The interview process was very fast and standardized. I had a conversation with the recruiter on the phone for twice and then took the online test for both personality and quant skills (verbal & numeric, similar to GMAT). After I clear the test, i got a call from the recruiter and set a onsite interview a week later. The day on campus was very intensive. I got two case interviews (very quant but only focus on the credit card industry) and two behavioral interviews in the morning, then was taken to lunch by two employees with other interviewees. After lunch, I was informed I will be given another additional round of case interview. Three days later I got a call from the recruiter was offered the position. Generally speaking, how well you do in the case interview is much more import than how well you do in the behavioral interview.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you convince someone with different opinions.   Answer Question

McLean, VA

I applied online and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – I got a call from Capital One, basically intend to schedule the upcoming on site interview.
I was send to McLean office for whole day interview. Two cases and one behavior. Cases are all about Capital One current business and product pricing strategy. I didn't get the chance to get to the final round which was supposed to be held after lunch.
Actually for all seven candidates that day, Capital One basically didn't pick anyone.

Interview Question – I've never practice case interview before, feel a little bit overwhelming by the cases. They are not easy to handle.   Answer Question

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Senior Business Analyst

I applied online and interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Long process, phone and then 2 hours of assessment testing, then 9 face to face interviews, in the end it wasn't the right place for me.

Interview Question – What is your favorite color?   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in June 2012.

Interview Details – should be very thorough about the graphical interpretation questions; behavioral questions and team building and conflict resolution scenarios.

You will be interviewed atleast by 4 people on various subjects including technical and non technical rounds. People who interview are the one who are trained to perform the interviews and are usualoly very irrational when proving the feedback. the best of the people are only selected and offered a jon

Negotiation Details – was low balled by the hiring manager.

McLean, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in September 2011.

Interview Details – Was contacted via email from resume submission through university career website. Given phone interview and emailed a skills/quantitative test similar to the GMAT but a very shortened version. Passed the test and scheduled to interview at corporate headquarters. Interview consisted of three interviews, one behavioral and two case studies. Behavioral was pretty straight forward. Mostly, basic Q's that ask to tell about a time when you had to learn something new or led a team. The two case studies were about a ferry boat and call center.

Overall, it was the most thorough interview process that I have been involved with. Did not get an offer but I thought it was fair and forthcoming. Good luck to all interviewees!

Interview Questions

• Ferry boat service from one end of a bay to another in Australia. How to make business more profitable?   Answer Question
  • Call center problems. How to make center more proficient and asked to articulate patterns from call volumes throughout week.   Answer Question

Interviewed at Capital One

Interview Details – The entire recruiting process was well-structured and smooth. Overall the super day was a good experience.

So...case interviews - IMO you can't really prep for it as they aren't typical consulting cases. No need for fancy strategy frameworks.

A few things to keep in mind:
- Cases are number-driven. The difficult part is to come up with an equation. Try to calculate #s in your head as hinted by the interviewers. They would change different variables and assess how you approach the problem.
- Understand the concept of break-even & profitability well. By "well" I mean you need to know how to plot different scenarios on a chart.

2 cases I had were:
1) Comparing cashback reward cards vs. standard credit cards. Determine profitability. Remember to convert APR to a monthly rate if you are looking at monthly profits.

2) Credit card application. 2 channels: one through email agents, another through live chat. Compare which channel is more profitable. Be sure to differentiate # of customers vs. # of application processed.

Interview Question – Case #2.   Answer Question

Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 7+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2010.

Interview Details – Pre-interview consisted of a quick phone interview with the recruiter, followed by 2 online evaluations, one personality, one mathematical. The on-site interview consisted of 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral interview. Capital One provides examples on their website of cases, which I found helpful. I also recommend supplementing with other case interviewing resources available online for free. Ditto for BI question examples. I found by cataloging examples and going through them several times on my own, I was well-prepared.

Interview Question – This is kind of my point. By writing out longhand answers to 40-50 example BI questions I found online, I had enough solid material to adapt to any question anyone could ask, so I was not thrown off by any questions in the actual interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Negotiation was a little weird. The recruiter said he was able to negotiate, but he would not counter directly, and wanted to take the approach of 'give me a number and I'll check'. That's not exactly what I call 'negotiating', but in the end I stood firm well above his lowball offer and got a good figure.

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in March 2013.

Interview Details – HR was very professional throughout the process, and the interviewers seemed like extremely intelligent professionals. I had a phone interview with HR, followed by an on-site visit, which consisted of a behavioral interview and two case interviews (conducted at the Richmond location). The "super day" involved a really good lunch and a nice tour of the Richmond offices.

Interview Question – One of the cases involved regression analysis, so make sure you're familiar with interpreting data/graphs!   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in January 2013.

Interview Details – Started with a Phone interview and an online assessment test. Pretty difficult if you haven't touched up on High School Algebra in awhile. Make sure to work the practice questions they have. Passed the online assessment and was called in to an in person interview. Be prepared to meet IVY league college graduate candidates. 3 Round Case interview. First was behavioral, and other 2 were actual case studies identified around what you're interviewing for, whether it's home loans, mortgage, credit etc. Overall tough interview, just take it easy and breathe!

Interview Question – Case study questions are very in depth and have a lot of calculation based results. You will have to work your way through the problem.   Answer Question

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!