Capital One Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Apr 7, 2015
Updated Apr 7, 2015

3.2

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

For an Internal hire, there are two case interviews and require that the candidate pass in both. For external hire, the process is called Power Day. There will be three cases and two behavioral interviews. Required to pass 2 cases and not sure about the behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you calculate Break Even Point? What are some of the costs involved in running a business? How to calculate Net Value of the customer and Profit based on specific products?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

you fill out information online and submit it. after a few days, they will send you a link to do online exam. exam is very tricky. also be prepare with technical skills. they will test you questions with your knowledge, problem solving skills. if you pass the exam, you will be bring in for onsite interview. onsite interview is 1:1 and panel.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview scheduled after the recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn; Get back from the recruiter four days after the phone interview; Event though the recruiter said I seemed to be a strong fit for the position, I didn't make it to the next round because the decision makers thought I might not be the best fit for the team

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about yourself; Tell me more about your experience in strategic planning   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

After a half hour phone interview I was invited to Richmond for a "Super Day" type interview.

Prepare to be wooed. Stayed at the Hilton and got a full tour of their Google/Space City "Campus" which includes perks like an onsite chiropractor and various full sized athletic fields.

Note: I'm a liberal arts grad, and was the only one from our group of 14 that powerday. The first case was about de/re-regulating a utilities market and the effect it would have on price. This one was easy since you can propose and evaluate methods of regulating markets through other real-world examples (ex: power, water, cable, airlines) and the math was simple. I was only asked 3 behavioral questions, so I would pick robust examples. The last case was far more difficult and was essentially a series of math problems in a general business context. The case included solving for profits, break-even and possibly a maximization/curve, which is where I got stuck.

All three interviewers I met with had masters in statistics or engineering. I think this interview/position is certainly possible for a "creative" with some studying but is far better suited for a "quant".

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to learn to get to an objective.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

- Got contacted by recruiter via LinkedIn.
    - Set up a phone 30 min phone interview and asked about my background, current work etc
    - Got set up for a 'Superday' at the Richmond office
    - Superday was 2 case rounds and 1 behaviorial interview, then lunch with a current associate
    - After lunch, I had to go through one additional case, but other candidates did not

Interview Questions

• - Behaviorial was pretty standard stuff, just read their list of 10 questions and look up some more online. They really prefer the STAR method of answering questions.

- Case 1: related to Term Life Insurance. What would you charge a potential customer with a $8,000 payout and a 4% chance of death?

- Case 2: related to Credit Card product. What ways would you drive additional revenue amongst the different client segments

1 Answer

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Interview

Applied online, got the email for phone interview in a week. During the phone interview, the recruiter asked about my experience and a few quantitative questions.Then asked some behavioral questions like what's your strength etc.

Interview Questions

• Solving problems and calculate stuff was not easy over phone.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in October 2014.

Interview

Initial communication was a little slow and it wasn't until I contacted them about having to make a decision soon before the process started. The recruiter and interview buddy were both very responsive and professional. There were no surprises and we were well informed about the online pre-screening, 1st, and 2nd round in-person interviews. They informed me about the decision soon after the final round interview, which I really appreciated.

Interview Questions

• Being asked to plot a graph during the interview. It's been a long time since I've had to plot anything and I was unsure of the level of detail required, but the interviewer guided me along and helped me identify what he was looking for.   Answer Question

Fit with short term career goals.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in September 2014.

Interview

I was contacted through a recruitment agency. 1st round was a written exam (rapid maths paper) after which few were shortlisted. Next there was a business case interview. Two cases were asked. The interviewer had set questions in mind which he expected me to ask ... which were very much maths oriented. Like draw a graph of this eqn etc. I am not sure if the quality/standard of questions asked and also the role was in line with what an MBA candidate deserves. They were very much meant for graduates from IITs/NITs etc.

After the interview another MBA candidate who was also called and done with his interview .. heard the interviewer discussing with other interviewer that we can get candidates for the same role cheaper from IIT & NIT. Why to recruit MBAs? I think if you guys would have given a thought about this aspect even before calling us to venue, it would have helped a lot !! (Obviously you had all the details about us from our CV!!) Me and that another MBA candidate were called by HR and told that they cannot pursue further with our candidature even though we both had cracked business case rounds (obviously as they were damn easy graduate level cases and bloody simple maths equations). We registered our protest with HR and told you should have been clear with role and candidate qualification expectations.

Also the recruitment agencies just for sake of their money commission don't even cross-check if the firm really needs someone with MBA skills or simple graduates would do. Overall pathetic experience.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (McLean, VA) in August 2014.

Interview

A recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIN and I had a screening call with him. He asked me to go over my resume and zeroed in on one experience I had with analyzing a large data set. I was scheduled for a Super Day the following week. The recruiter was extremely helpful and friendly- wish all recruiters could be this nice. I thought it was a bit strange that I bypassed the first round phone interview.

The Super Day itself was standard and other reviewers prepared me for what to expect. Each interviewee were assigned his/her own room and the interviewers come in. The first was a behavioral interview. While a 10-question list was sent in advance for preparation, I was not asked any of the questions on the list. The three questions I was asked were similar enough to those of the list that I wasn't caught off guard. The interviewer then probed further on certain points, taking notes on the company's standardized forms.

After that, I had two case interviews with an hour break between the two. The interviewers were both very nice- I didn't feel intimidated or stressed. While I had limited experience with case interviews, I didn't think the questions were difficult. They were both focused on credit cards, but didn't require industry knowledge (though some of it could make ideas flow faster). I tend to be a little slow and uncertain on the math which could have hurter me. I'm also not super organized on paper, which caused me to make some errors and definitely hurt me. The interviewers helped guide through the whole case and made sure the case came to a close, which was nice- a great way to learn and understand the case too. I once had a case interview I couldn't solve and the interviewer wouldn't reveal the answer, despite my genuine curiosity to learn.

Then came lunch- three employees came to take the group of interviewees for lunch. Everyone got a chance to speak to one of them at least once, but there was always one person attached to each analyst. Some interviewees just ended up talking among themselves. The cafeteria there is pretty awesome, and it's subsidized too. After lunch, we went on the tour of the building which was nice. Its a large campus with a super corporate feel.

After that, everyone went back to their rooms and the recruiter came to each one to reveal whether a third case interview was needed. While she insisted that being left out of the third case interview does not mean you will not get an offer, I think it kind of is a strong indicator. About half of the interviewee group was sent home.

I heard back the next day that I was rejected. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the recruiter did mention several times that less than 30% of the interviewees go on to receive offers. The whole process from screening to rejection was about a week, so quite a fast process.

Interview Questions

• Case was pretty standard. Both about profit maximization, so be sure to know how to calculate profit.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in May 2014.

Interview

I applied thru their career portal and within a day or two got a call from a recruiter. We discussed about my previous experience and at the end of the discussion he scheduled my on-site interview for about a month later. I had to call up the travel agent to make necessary travel arrangements. They covered the flight charges, stay and provided a cab facility for all the time.

On-Site:
    There were a total of 3 interviews - 2 case and 1 behavioral. The recruiter had earlier asked me to go thru the book "Case in point" and if you do so you will be able to handle the cases easily. The behavioral consisted of 3 scenarios (the recruiter shared a set of 10 standard questions and all the 3 were from that list) and a few other company-fit traits squeezed in here and there.

All the 3 interviews were 45 min long. You will have enough time to think and solve the cases and to ask any questions to the interviewer. They say you wont be competing with other candidates who will also be present the same day but I think they judge you and rate you with the other candidates.

The results were shared in about 5 business days.

Interview Questions

• You get to know your performance of the 2 case interviews immediately. The only difference is the behavioral part. They do no test you on any specific skill set so in some sense the result might sound random.   Answer Question