Capital One Senior Business Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 27, 2015

3.3

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One (Bangalore (India)) in March 2015.

Interview

The interview was a 20 minute quantitative case discussion. It was an interesting experience as this was the first time I was involved in anything of this nature. The interviewer was extremely thought provoking with his questioning and prodded you in the correct direction as much as it was possible.

Interview Questions

• Credit Card Customer Portfolio Segmentation and Marketing Approach   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in June 2015.

Interview

Reached by a Recruiter for a power day. Three cases and two behavioral interview. Met two senior managers and one vp before lunch, after lunch were called back to met a director. Case study exams business logic with basic calculation. Overall company atmosphere is great. All managers were nice and helpful. Still waiting for decision.

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One (Chicago, IL) in June 2015.

Interview

1 behavioral + 2 case interviews. One of the cases is heavy on quant and calculations are recalled for future questions within the case. The cases are not necessarily based on banking industry problems. They are used to assess the candidate's problem solving approach. Not much time given for questions to be posed by the candidate after the case is completed. So do ask your best questions.

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in May 2015.

Interview

Great Experience, very helpful and knowledgeable interviewers “Tell me about a time when you had to anticipate a problem and resolve it before it became an issue.
    Tell me about a time when you had a difficult team to deal with.” “Tell me about a time when you had to anticipate a problem and resolve it before it became an issue.
    Tell me about a time when you had a difficult team to deal with.”

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in August 2011.

Interview

Long. Multiple steps. In addition to the usual phone screens, required to take several IQ type tests. Along the way, COF would not be in contact with you unless you passed the previous step. Once clear of the initial screens and tests, transitioned into typical interview process with one-on-one sessions and panel discussions.

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

For an Internal hire, there are two case interviews and require that the candidate pass in both. For external hire, the process is called Power Day. There will be three cases and two behavioral interviews. Required to pass 2 cases and not sure about the behavioral interview.

Interview Questions

• How do you calculate Break Even Point? What are some of the costs involved in running a business? How to calculate Net Value of the customer and Profit based on specific products?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Capital One (New York, NY) in February 2014.

Interview

you fill out information online and submit it. after a few days, they will send you a link to do online exam. exam is very tricky. also be prepare with technical skills. they will test you questions with your knowledge, problem solving skills. if you pass the exam, you will be bring in for onsite interview. onsite interview is 1:1 and panel.

Anonymous Employee in Washington, DC

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Capital One (Washington, DC) in February 2015.

Interview

Phone interview scheduled after the recruiter reached out to me on LinkedIn; Get back from the recruiter four days after the phone interview; Event though the recruiter said I seemed to be a strong fit for the position, I didn't make it to the next round because the decision makers thought I might not be the best fit for the team

Interview Questions

• Tell me more about yourself; Tell me more about your experience in strategic planning   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

After a half hour phone interview I was invited to Richmond for a "Super Day" type interview.

Prepare to be wooed. Stayed at the Hilton and got a full tour of their Google/Space City "Campus" which includes perks like an onsite chiropractor and various full sized athletic fields.

Note: I'm a liberal arts grad, and was the only one from our group of 14 that powerday. The first case was about de/re-regulating a utilities market and the effect it would have on price. This one was easy since you can propose and evaluate methods of regulating markets through other real-world examples (ex: power, water, cable, airlines) and the math was simple. I was only asked 3 behavioral questions, so I would pick robust examples. The last case was far more difficult and was essentially a series of math problems in a general business context. The case included solving for profits, break-even and possibly a maximization/curve, which is where I got stuck.

All three interviewers I met with had masters in statistics or engineering. I think this interview/position is certainly possible for a "creative" with some studying but is far better suited for a "quant".

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to learn to get to an objective.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

- Got contacted by recruiter via LinkedIn.
    - Set up a phone 30 min phone interview and asked about my background, current work etc
    - Got set up for a 'Superday' at the Richmond office
    - Superday was 2 case rounds and 1 behaviorial interview, then lunch with a current associate
    - After lunch, I had to go through one additional case, but other candidates did not

Interview Questions

• - Behaviorial was pretty standard stuff, just read their list of 10 questions and look up some more online. They really prefer the STAR method of answering questions.

- Case 1: related to Term Life Insurance. What would you charge a potential customer with a $8,000 payout and a 4% chance of death?

- Case 2: related to Credit Card product. What ways would you drive additional revenue amongst the different client segments

1 Answer