Capital One

Average Difficulty
7 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Interviewed at Capital One

Interview Details – Phone interviews followed by two case interviews on the site. THey are pretty detailed and focus on very small things so be prepared to go in depth.

One of the important thngs is to walk the interviewer into your thought process. that way if they don't like the way the process is going they can correct you.

Interview Question – how did you negotiate with the executive leadership team.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

New York, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in September 2012.

Interview Details – There is NO WAY I didn't get my test right. I did GRE/GMAT recently and I got a really good score. So, I guess they will tell you about test results based on how much they want you and how many people they have to select from. If you not sure about the position - don't waste 2 hours of you weekend time on testing.

Interview Question – How you can get perfect score for GRE/GMAT and didn't do well on CapitalOne testing?   Answer Question

McLean, VA

The process took 3 days - interviewed at Capital One in November 2011.

Interview Details – Skills Test= very easy : simple Maths, no preparation required.
Phone Interview= vey easy: general questions/ aspirations.
Full Day interview= difficult: 4 on a road interviews, two cases ( consulting type) and two behavioral. They can use two interviewers at a time. The seem very focus on Quant skills. Some interviewers were not clear enough. Overall I had a good time and believe it is not a difficult interview.

Interview Question – Cases: very quant focus cases.   View Answer

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Richmond, VA

The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in June 2011.

Interview Details – Contacted through LinkedIn about the position. Passed the first round of skills/personality tests so I was asked to come to Richmond for more interviews which consisted of 2 business "case studies" and 2 behavioral interviews - each with 1 person. So I met with a total of 4 people. They ask you to stay for lunch, and during that time the 4 people you interviewed with, get together and make a decision; they have to come to a consensus. I nailed 3 out of 4 interviews and made 2 stupid mistakes on the last case study and I was told the next day because of that I didn't get the job. I was shocked. I made a careless mistake, and then 1 math mistake, but eventually came to the right answer in the end - I totally thought I was going to get the job.... even though they are very very vague as to exactly what job you are applying for. The entire process was pretty cryptic. The case studies were overall pretty simple, which of course makes you feel like even more of an idiot when you "fail". Recruiter was OK, but if he/she has no interest in talking to you after you are done with your interview day in Richmond - then you didn't get the job. They know pretty much immediately after you are done.

Interview Question – Credit card insurance case: calculate break-even claim rate where response rate = 2%, fee charged = 1% of monthly balance, and average balance = $1,000 per month.   View Answers (6)

Senior Business Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – After the initial IQ test and HR phone interview, I had a behavioral interview and a case interview.

The Behavioral Interview:
They asked only 4 major questions...asked me to describe a certain situation and then pecked at it from all sides. Have your stories clear, and the situations should be "rich", in the sense that it should have shown your leadership, initiative, how you worked with people, issues that you faced and how you overcame these issues.

The Case Interview:
You run an oil refinery that can process 1 million barrels of crude oil per year, have certain fixed costs (debt repayment, salaries, maintenance, etc), and certain variable costs (cost of crude oil, transport). You have 3 products that you sell after refining the crude oil: a certain % goes into Gasoline (highest price), another part is Heating Oil (mid-price) and finally Asphalt (lowest price).

The first question is to calculate the total profit. Simple enough - list down all revenue and cost drivers in a table and do the math.

Next they asked how would I increase the profit...hit all the cost drivers and how you would bring down those costs, then talk about how you could change your production mix towards more of the higher-priced products.

The last question presented two more options - other varieties of crude coming to the market, and with different crude prices as well as different final product mix that you could make from the crude oil varieties. Essentially the lower priced crude could make less Gasoline, and the higher priced crude could make more Gasoline. Do the profit calculations in the form of a table (with all 3 crude varieties in the table), and finally decide which variety of crude gives the highest profit. In my case, the cheapest variety of crude oil gave the highest profit, but this may be different in your case.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you faced push-back and how did you deal with it. What if they still would not come across to your point of view...what would you do?   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Another position came up, and Capital One's culture seemed to be very secretive and frankly, a bit creepy.

Very Easy Interview

Senior Business Manager

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Capital One in February 2011.

Interview Details – Very easy questions. If you have been in some business and finished high school, learning your math maybe some college calculus, then it's a piece of cake. All you have to do is not to make silly calculation mistakes. They look at your basic calculations, and you have to tell what you are doing. Do not rush. Rushing is your enemy, take your time, take a deep breath and do it.

Interview Question – That only one or two people really asked what I have been doing currently.   Answer Question

Senior Business Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 months - interviewed at Capital One in October 2010.

Interview Details – Applied online for multiple positions, received decline letter due to not filling position. Contacted recruiter to inquire about status of other requisitions applied. Set up initial phone screen interview with recruiter. Next step was to take personality test. Pass the personality test which allows you to take the math and verbal test. Math and verbal test are standard GMAT type questions. Need to prepare for these if you are rusty. Passed the math and verbal test, then set up phone interviews with two different hiring managers. Once you pass those I was invited for an on site interview in Plano. Capital One paid for my expenses to Plano. On site interview consisted of half day 45 min-1 hour interviews with hiring manager and peers and head of department. Two of the interviews consisted of standard behavioral interviews. Short 15 minute test to verify you completed the math and verbal on your own.
Overall process took about 2.5 months. Capital One appears to be proud to hire bright, smart and intelligent people which they will pay a premium for. The department I interviewed for is going through big changes with the acquisition of 3 regional banks and working through integration and new process and programs. People all appear to be nice and professional. Office environment is casual which is kind of nice that you don't need to dress up. But everyone appeared to dress in relax business casual. Meaning khakis and collared shirts.

Interview Question – Be prepared for behavioral interview questions and you will do just fine   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Depending on the need for the position and what skills you can bring to the organization. I did not negotiate a salary as I was offered a salary that was above my expectations, I was offered a signing bonus which is nice especially given the current environment.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Capital One

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital One Senior Business Manager interview questions and advice. All 7 interview reviews posted anonymously by Capital One employees and interview candidates.