Capital One

Average Difficulty
6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2010.

Interview Details – The big key was the Behavioral Interview... Search web for examples before you go. We usually answer questions like, "How would you handle a difficult person?" in vauge terms but with a Behavioral Interview they are going to say, "Tell me a time (or give me an example) of a time when you had to deal with a difficult person?"

Interview Question – Again... specific examples are much more dificult than using generalities. You know what they want you to say but if you can't back it with a good example, it will show.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in December 2011.

Interview Details – I had an over the phone interview followed by on site interviews with 3 different people. Each of my on site interviewers had a specific set of questions for me (Skills, behavioral etc) and they noted down the answers on the interview sheet.

Interview Question – Tell me a time when you had to influence clients to follow a different course of action.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I negotiated the salary with the Director of the team. Once I explained my reasons for requesting a higher salary he offered me a sign on bonus which I accepted.

Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Prior to switching to Taleo, one would submit a resume into the black hole that was their HR system and never hear back. Following the implementation of Taleo, I heard back from a recruiter within two weeks of submitting my resume. HR can be slow, but their is an initial HR screen. If you meet their requirements, they will schedule you to take an online exam. This exam will be very similar to a GMAT or GRE with elements from most of the sections.

Should you pass this exam, they will schedule a "power day" with you, which will consist of several job fit interviews, a behavioral interview, and a case interview. The case will be specific to your job title.

If you succeed expect an offer within a week, salary can be negotiable.

Negotiation Details – a bit lower than what I asked for, met in the middle.

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in August 2012.

Interview Details – The screening process took a long while (2+months) once I applied online. After the first recruiter call, there were 3 online assessments - verbal, numerical (both timed) and personality. The onsite interview was scheduled in a week. There are 4 interviews 45 min each - 2 behavioral (by IT managers/BSAs), 1 job fit (supposedly by the hiring manager and 1 case by a business person. Each interviewer has a question book and sticks to the same, jotting our answers as we speak. Typical behavioral questions ( 3 for each interview) are available in a Google search. It helps to be prepared with a few sample scenarios for these. Job fit questions are standard also - business vs technical requirement vs design with an example and functional vs non-functional, traceability matrix, testing support etc. My case was a problem to reduce the # of credit card welcome packets, with a critical path activity math exercise.

Capital one has a fabulous campus with demarcated interview rooms. My D-day had about 10 candidates. I was the only one in business casuals and everybody else were in suits.

Interview Question – Job fit - business requirement vs system requirement vs design
Case - How to go about reducing the # of credit care welcome packets
  View Answer

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Interview Details – Phone interview, 3 tests and 4 one on one interviews. Very competent process of interviewing . They are looking for smart people, and believe smart people can be trained for anything.

Interview Question – 2 Behavioral interview - 3 questions each interview   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They are generous and not penny pinchers

Senior Business Systems Analyst

The process took 1 week - interviewed at Capital One in May 2012.

Interview Details – Other than the process takes a bit of time to get through it is a very thorough interview process. I had heard alot of comments about the Case testing. I found that to be the easiest part. The interviewer made is interactive and non-threatening.

Interview Question – Describe in detail a time when....   View Answer

Interviews for Top Jobs at Capital One

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital One Senior Business Systems Analyst interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by Capital One employees and interview candidates.