Capital One

Updated Aug 19, 2014

3.5

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in July 2014.

Applied via LinkedIn, got a call from the recruiter within 2 weeks and was phone screened that same day. The next step was an online assessment. You need to revise some basic math formulas and you are all set. Once the assessment is cleared the recruiter will give u next steps. I had a phone screen for job fit by my peer/senior team member. They let you know the results the next day and if u r cleared they schedule a face to face interview which is last step before the offer stage.
My face to face consisted of 1 job fit 2 behavioral and 1 case. The case interview in my case was to find the critical path for a give set of activities by drawing the chart diagram. Some follow up questions included finding the total slack and scenario on eat happened is any one of the task was outsourced. Just a quick revision on project management should help with this one.
HR has a quick turnaround time and they made it a smooth process.

Interview Questions
Did not negotiate since they came back with higher numbers than initial discussion

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Prior to switching to Taleo, one would submit a resume into the black hole that was their HR system and never hear back. Following the implementation of Taleo, I heard back from a recruiter within two weeks of submitting my resume. HR can be slow, but their is an initial HR screen. If you meet their requirements, they will schedule you to take an online exam. This exam will be very similar to a GMAT or GRE with elements from most of the sections.

Should you pass this exam, they will schedule a "power day" with you, which will consist of several job fit interviews, a behavioral interview, and a case interview. The case will be specific to your job title.

If you succeed expect an offer within a week, salary can be negotiable.

a bit lower than what I asked for, met in the middle.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in August 2012.

The screening process took a long while (2+months) once I applied online. After the first recruiter call, there were 3 online assessments - verbal, numerical (both timed) and personality. The onsite interview was scheduled in a week. There are 4 interviews 45 min each - 2 behavioral (by IT managers/BSAs), 1 job fit (supposedly by the hiring manager and 1 case by a business person. Each interviewer has a question book and sticks to the same, jotting our answers as we speak. Typical behavioral questions ( 3 for each interview) are available in a Google search. It helps to be prepared with a few sample scenarios for these. Job fit questions are standard also - business vs technical requirement vs design with an example and functional vs non-functional, traceability matrix, testing support etc. My case was a problem to reduce the # of credit card welcome packets, with a critical path activity math exercise.

Capital one has a fabulous campus with demarcated interview rooms. My D-day had about 10 candidates. I was the only one in business casuals and everybody else were in suits.

Interview Questions
    • Job fit - business requirement vs system requirement vs design
      Case - How to go about reducing the # of credit care welcome packets

View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in December 2011.

I had an over the phone interview followed by on site interviews with 3 different people. Each of my on site interviewers had a specific set of questions for me (Skills, behavioral etc) and they noted down the answers on the interview sheet.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to influence clients to follow a different course of action.   View Answer
    I negotiated the salary with the Director of the team. Once I explained my reasons for requesting a higher salary he offered me a sign on bonus which I accepted.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Phone interview, 3 tests and 4 one on one interviews. Very competent process of interviewing . They are looking for smart people, and believe smart people can be trained for anything.

Interview Questions
    They are generous and not penny pinchers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2010.

The big key was the Behavioral Interview... Search web for examples before you go. We usually answer questions like, "How would you handle a difficult person?" in vauge terms but with a Behavioral Interview they are going to say, "Tell me a time (or give me an example) of a time when you had to deal with a difficult person?"

Interview Questions
    • Again... specific examples are much more dificult than using generalities. You know what they want you to say but if you can't back it with a good example, it will show.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in September 2010.

The key as with any interview is be yourself. Those that interview you are primarily hiring manages, however, their primary job is not necessarily interviewing. You will most likely come in and take some tests to show your math/financial ability. Then you will have individual (and possibly 2 on 1 interviews). There may have been an initial phone interview but I can't recall.

Interview Questions
    • If you have never prepared for a Behavioral Interview you better Google it! Rather than "How would you handle a situation?" as a question. The question would be "Tell me about a dime when you had to deal with a difficult co-worker?" and you need to be specific and not use generalizations.   Answer Question
    Negotiation was reasonable. There is a range for each position so you will have to fit in that range. However, as with most companies, you will want to negotiate the best salary up front, because it is typically hard to really jump up in salary once you are established. You might also check Salary.com to look up what someone with your experience is worth, and use that as a negotiation tool. I did!

Senior Business Systems Analyst Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One in May 2012.

Other than the process takes a bit of time to get through it is a very thorough interview process. I had heard alot of comments about the Case testing. I found that to be the easiest part. The interviewer made is interactive and non-threatening.