Capital One Senior Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Oct 12, 2014

2.7

30 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Data Analyst Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in November 2011.

I was contacted by a recruiter and was asked if interested in this position. I said yes and then received a link to take a personality test, a math test and a reading test. After passed all the test, I was contacted by hr and scheduled a phone interview with a hiring manager. In the phone interview, all the questions were technical.

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Senior Data Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One in March 2013.

Had an on campus case study interview. Got a call back a few days later and was flown out to Virginia for more interviews. The day consisted of 3 interviews, 2 case study interviews and 1 behavioral/job fit interview.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was particularly unexpected. The case studies on site were about as difficult as the one campus.   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One.

The interview can be broken in two categories... Case Interview and Behavioral Interview.

Case interview primarily checks your ability to interpret the data for example if you will be able to see if the company making profit for loss, percentage , graphical representation of data. Simple maths but I would suggest you should revise the formula's for Profit/ Loss and Break Even Analysis,

Behavioral Interview - that's easy, you have to talk about instances that may have come up in your career or you should be smart enough to make one and speak just like Extempore.

Interview Questions
    • It really depends, for me it went straight forward so I was fine.   View Answer
    Didn't Negotiate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in March 2013.

A very straight forward and well organized process.

1. Screening Round..
    2. Online Test - Prepare well.
    3. Behavioral Interview - 2 rounds - Prepare responses in STAR format.
    4. Two case studies.

Interview Questions
    • Go through the interviews here on Glassdoor. Every single case study and behavioral interview question is already available here.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wilmington, DE

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One in May 2013.

Met a recruiter for the analyst program who referred me to this position and another recruiter. Took a verbal and quantitative test and was invited to the Wilmington, DE Powerday. Did 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral interviews. There was an extreme language barrier with one of the interviewers who didn't even mention portions of the case study which she expected me to factor in. It is a very weird interview process in which you do not even necessarily meet people you will be working with or be tested on relevant skills.

Interview Questions
    • Evaluate the value of a shipping business based on variable costs.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in March 2011.

It took a day for the interview and got the offer the next morning. The company's HR is very efficient and organized.

Interview Questions
    • How do you deal with the situation when you and your manager is in conflict?   View Answer
    The negotiation space is very narrow.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2013.

After a brief HR talk and passing the written assessment exams (Analytical, Verbal and a behavioral), was called for a face to face interview (had a total of 5 rounds - 2 Behavioral and 3 Case interviews).
    Behavioral was fine (just "Did you ever face this issue and if so what you did" type of questions - total 6 questions (3 with each interviewer).
    Case Interviews - all 3 were very similar with minor changes and all were very math oriented.
    Prepare well for the case interviews by going over the book "Case in Point" - freely available to read online. Although it will not be the same, it will bring you to the mind set of how to approach these case interviews.
    And the entire F2F interview was not hard- but definitely grueling.

Interview Questions
    • All 3 case interviews were about CC - was given credit limit, annual APR, avg monthly balance, processing fee, operational cost etc and was asked to find break even point and a bunch of other info.   View Answer

The offer was lower than my expectations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Capital One in April 2011.

Got an email from the recrutier asking me to take their online assessment. Passed the online assessment then was scheduled for a phone interview with a director in data analysis department. He asked about my background, how comfortable I was to work with large database, and asked me to describe a project I had been working on. Got an onsite notice 3 days after the phone interview. The onsite started with a behavioral question and job fitting session, during which 3 questions were asked and different functional areas in the data analysis department were described and I was asked to pick one that I was most interested in. Then a case study, another behavioral question session and another case study. Had lunch at 12pm and was sent to the airport after a brief tour of the campus. The behavioral questions were standard questions like "describe how you learned sth new" and "describe how you set up a goal and achieve it". The case studies were about credit card profit and loss insurance. They were straightforward as long as you are clear on how to match numbers with cost and revenue. Overall it was an interesting experience.

Interview Questions
    • case study: credit card insurance profit per customer

cost of mailing $0.5, response rate 1%, average balance per month $1000,
      insurance charges 1% of average balance monthly, customer claim rate 5%
      (once insured customer files a claim, the balance will be wiped and C1
      lose $1000).

Question: profit per customer, graph claim rate vs response rate, graph profit vs response rate and find the response rate for maximum profit (r=1%)
        View Answers (3)

Senior Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in June 2011.

After the online application, I was called by the recruiter. He asked a few questions about my current job and my resume. Soon I got a notice for an on-site interview, which consists of one behavioral interview and two case interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Tell one of the most complex issues you have solved in your previous work   Answer Question
    • Tell one time that you have to deal with a difficult client, colleague, or supervisor   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Both another director in another company's interview and I thought Capital One had some kind of weird interview process.

IMO, we can not hire an candidate only by asking several cases or behavioral questions without some "real" challenging questions for this level position (Senior Data Analyst), such as "please compare the algorithms which you have involved in previous data mining models ". (base on my previous working experience and other on-site interviews' questions)

And to my HUGE surprise, a manager in statistician said that "I didn't know anything about SQL when I joined capital one after I got my BS degree 7 years ago" , "Capital one has a on-site training program that teaches you this kind of technics", "we only hire the one has analytical thinking".

Anyway, I don't want to offense these managers and directors, maybe we have different views about how to be a good candidate. I am not saying a good candidate must be a SQL master. It is your choice whether to be managed by them or not.