Capital One Senior Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in May 2010.

Interview

Applied on their website and got an email from a recruiter within 2-3 days to do online assessments. the first assessment was a personality test to see if you will fit with the culture. The second consisted of a verbal and a math test. After passing these, they arranged for me to do a phone interview with a manager in the group I was applying to. That went well and I was invited to a round of in-person interviews. The in-person interviews consisted of 1 Behavioral and 2 Case interviews along with another assessment test. It has been 2 months to my interviews and no response yet. I can understand if they are not interested in hiring me but after so many interviews they at least owe me a courtesy email/call to let me know that I have been rejected. I have interviewed with many prestigious and large firms but nobody else has been this dis-courteous.

Interview Questions

• The case interview consisted of choosing between a direct-mail or telephone marketing. You are supposed to ask questions to let them give you some numbers and then compare them to see which one would be more effective.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in April 2011.

Interview

Applied online, took an online IQ/EQ test and passed, then had a phone "mini" case interview. Did well on that, so got invited to an interview day at the Plano campus. This consisted of a behavioral interview and 2 case interviews. Did very well on one of the cases, but not so well on the second case. Everyone was very nice and not pressuring. Found out 1 business day later that I did not make the cut. Seems like a really great company to work for.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One in November 2011.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and was asked if interested in this position. I said yes and then received a link to take a personality test, a math test and a reading test. After passed all the test, I was contacted by hr and scheduled a phone interview with a hiring manager. In the phone interview, all the questions were technical.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. I interviewed at Capital One in March 2013.

Interview

Had an on campus case study interview. Got a call back a few days later and was flown out to Virginia for more interviews. The day consisted of 3 interviews, 2 case study interviews and 1 behavioral/job fit interview.

Interview Questions

• Nothing was particularly unexpected. The case studies on site were about as difficult as the one campus.   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The interview can be broken in two categories... Case Interview and Behavioral Interview. Case interview primarily checks your ability to interpret the data for example if you will be able to see if the company making profit for loss, percentage , graphical representation of data. Simple maths but I would suggest you should revise the formula's for Profit/ Loss and Break Even Analysis, Behavioral Interview - that's easy, you have to talk about instances that may have come up in your career or you should be smart enough to make one and speak just like Extempore.

Interview Questions

• It really depends, for me it went straight forward so I was fine.   1 Answer

Negotiation

Didn't Negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Standard interview process, a recruiter call asking quantitative questions solve, if decided to move forward, an onsite interview consisting of 4 interviews of which 2 behavioral interviews and 2 case interviews.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral normally consists of 3-4 questions in each round, varies from interview to interview I recommend going through some practice questions. As per as Case interviews are concerned, I could only speak for myself here, pretty vague interview I had ever experienced. I would like to know the purpose of such vague questions. Question: Would you or would you not offer rewards to the customer? Fair enough its s good question, but how can answer that without any additional information (note: they refrained me from asking any questions related to this). They just wanted a yes or no. How can I provide an answer without considering other factors, like annual fee or other promotional offers, more so the objective are you trying to profit or increase market size, without this information its hard to answer such questions.   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2011.

Interview

Fairly standard process where recruiter contacts you to set up an initial phone screen, followed by an online assessment for quantitative and personality review. Onsite interviews are a mix of case, behavioral and fit interviews. Once an offer is extended, there is not much room for negotiation.

Interview Questions

• Typical case interview - a series of quantitative and business sense questions revolved around a hypothetical theme.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Efficient and thorough. They are definitely looking for nearly flawless candidates. Two case-style questions that involved working through profit/loss maximizing and minimizing. Two "behavioral" sessions which are more conversational about your background and motivations. I was not given an offer, nor told why I wasn't a good fit. I felt good about my background, case answers, and overall discussion with the team members. I suspect the position was ultimately given to someone less expensive or that was local as I would have needed a relocation package.

Interview Questions

• Determine average daily cost or profit, then tweak the initial set of variables for new scenarios and finally determine a break even point.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in July 2015.

Interview

Got an interview call through a recruiter. The 1st round of selection is a straight forward screening over the phone. After that you are called for an onsite round of interviews which typically include 2 behavioral interviews and 2 case studies. You might be called for a 5th round of interview after lunch.

Interview Questions

• Typical "Tell us about a time when..." STAR format questions. The case studies are mostly business scenarios with a bit of quantitative maneuvering. Be careful and focus on what they ask you to calculate as you might waste time if figuring out stuff which they are not interested in. Also, won't hurt to go through a few examples of case studies that the recruiter will send you (I am sure you can find a lot online as well)   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The first interview is a phone screening interview from the recruiter. The recruiter will just ask some general questions about your experience and give 5 simple math questions. After a couple of days I heard back from the recruiter and scheduled an on-site interview. The on-site interview have two case interview and two behavioral interview in the morning. I was given one more case interview in the afternoon.

Interview Questions

• Discuss the profit driver for an ATM located at Capital One branch and public place.   Answer Question