Capital One Senior Data Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Jun 15, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in March 2015.

Interview

Efficient and thorough. They are definitely looking for nearly flawless candidates. Two case-style questions that involved working through profit/loss maximizing and minimizing. Two "behavioral" sessions which are more conversational about your background and motivations. I was not given an offer, nor told why I wasn't a good fit. I felt good about my background, case answers, and overall discussion with the team members. I suspect the position was ultimately given to someone less expensive or that was local as I would have needed a relocation package.

Interview Questions

• Determine average daily cost or profit, then tweak the initial set of variables for new scenarios and finally determine a break even point.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in February 2011.

Interview

Fairly standard process where recruiter contacts you to set up an initial phone screen, followed by an online assessment for quantitative and personality review.

Onsite interviews are a mix of case, behavioral and fit interviews. Once an offer is extended, there is not much room for negotiation.

Interview Questions

• Typical case interview - a series of quantitative and business sense questions revolved around a hypothetical theme.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in San Francisco, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One (San Francisco, CA) in April 2015.

Interview

IT was a programming test that include 4 programming question in mathematic, and text analysis, after that it was a phone interview and after that it was a data analysis assignment to do over weekend. The phone interview was four question in statistic and math, business initiative, data analysis and map reduce.

Interview Questions

• Let’s assume we’d like to understand the gender balance of customers who buy things at a certain merchant, there were 70 percent guy who bought from there in particular day, what are the bias hear?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 daysinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA).

Interview

The interview is well organized but lengthy. Meet four interviewers, two case studies and two behaviors. The interview is not hard, as long as you have good sense of the business and data analysis, you should be fine.

Interview Questions

• what is the project you are most proud of?   1 Answer

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

HR call, online test, job fit phone call, onsite- power day interviews(2 behavioural rounds and 2 case interviews). overall they do not ask any difficult questions, and that is what sets Capital One apart from the rest of the industry. The focus is on problem solving skills, leadership skills and communication. They are majorly focussed on finding individuals who can step in and solve any business challenge where a lot might be unknown.

Interview Questions

• behavioral interviews often have questions which are complicated or about really complicated real life work situations: eg: tell me about a time you did not agree with the managements decision/stratgey?   2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in February 2015.

Interview

Standard interview process, a recruiter call asking quantitative questions solve, if decided to move forward, an onsite interview consisting of 4 interviews of which 2 behavioral interviews and 2 case interviews.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral normally consists of 3-4 questions in each round, varies from interview to interview I recommend going through some practice questions. As per as Case interviews are concerned, I could only speak for myself here, pretty vague interview I had ever experienced. I would like to know the purpose of such vague questions. Question: Would you or would you not offer rewards to the customer? Fair enough its s good question, but how can answer that without any additional information (note: they refrained me from asking any questions related to this). They just wanted a yes or no. How can I provide an answer without considering other factors, like annual fee or other promotional offers, more so the objective are you trying to profit or increase market size, without this information its hard to answer such questions.   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

Applied Online. Initial Phone interview had basic math questions related to profit-loss, breakeven and weighted averages. Second round in person interview..2 case studies and 2 behavior rounds.
    First Case was on credit cards, the common on found on glassdoor.
    I blew up the second case, so will try to re-create as much as possible. Cap One wants to run a campaign for 4 months, what will be profit before and after. How can you determine if the profit is because of the campaign. Internal team came up with some numbers : 8$ profit per person before 4 months and 9 $ after, and my original calculations were 10$ profit before and 12$ after..so basically calculate relative profit.. basic concept was incremental profit..so read up on that

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One.

Interview

The interview process was pretty straightforward. There was first an interview with a recruiter which involved five pretty simple math problems which evidently has replaced the online version. I believe they're just looking for the ability to think through the questions in a timely manner. There was also just an overview of my technical skills and professional experience in this interview. From here the recruiter forwarded my resume and details to the "DA Council" who decided I was worth flying out to Richmond.

The interview in Richmond was pretty fun. I flew in the night before and stayed in the Marriott near their campus. Met some of the other interviewees in the morning. Overall it was kind of stressful but worthwhile. There was nothing adversarial between my fellow interviewees and Capital One did a good job at making us feel comfortable. It's worth noting that every one of the other interviewees had a Masters in either Stats or Information Systems, though evidently that's not exactly the norm for the Senior Data Analyst role. I was a Bachelors with work experience while 4 of the others had only Masters with little work experience.There were 2 case interview and 2 behavioral interviews for 6 (or was it 4?) STAR questions. I struggled a little with the first BI but did well on the 2 cases and the other BI. After the interviews we had a nice lunch and toured campus with two DAs. After lunch they asked me to stay for one final "BI" interview with a VP, but it was really quite informal. Packed up after that and caught a ride to the airport. Sent out my thank yous and a quick note to the recruiter that night. Got a call the next morning from the recruiter that I was a "recommend for hire," but needed to be "allocated" to a team.

I expected that meant a formal offer would be forthcoming very soon, but in the 4 weeks after the interview I have yet to receive an offer and am kind of caught up in limbo, though I still have my current job. It's not like I get picked up in a lottery or anything, it's just that I talk to a hiring manager, they greenlight me and I greenlight them and then I get "allocated." I'm still a "recommend for hire" but I've talked to one hiring manager in this time and that was not a match. Perhaps the reason for this sluggishness is due to the Holiday season, but it's frustrating that I stopped my job search and have waited a month with no allocation. The hiring manager that I talked to said that one of his new analysts waited 3 months to be allocated. WHAT? This is something that was not talked about in any of the other reviews so I hope this brings greater clarity to you job seekers. It was also made out to be much quicker when I talked to the recruiter. I hope this process is eliminated because it's unnecessary and remarkably inefficient. I had a good experience during the interview process and feel very positive about the position overall, but the allocation step has been absurd. Be warned, a "recommend for hire" is not the end of the road, don't halt your job search if you reach that step.

Interview Questions

• Everything was pretty straightforward, just read some BI interviews and make sure you can talk about your professional/student experience.   2 Answers

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in October 2014.

Interview

Contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn in early September. A 30-minute phone call that include 5 simple maths. The recruiter forwarded me to the on-site interview ("Power Day") which took place on October 8th. There were 8 interviewees included me, 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral interviews. After the interviews 2 analysts took all the interviewees to lunch. Nice buffet, lots of choices. Came back to interview rooms, talked to a director and got more information about the company.

Interview Questions

• "Summarize what you just did for this case"   2 Answers

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Bangalore (India)

Application

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Bangalore (India)) in September 2014.

Interview

There will be 5 round of the interview, 1.Written SQL aptitude which includes null,aggregate functions, joins and inbuilt functions like string etc.
    2.second round will be face to face technical , where you will provide with the data sets and interviewer asks you retrieve data according to his needs. Mostly about joins ranks max min etc
    3. Third interview will be puzzle round where you asked about problem solving skills of sorting , grouping, fibi series , searching , eliminating duplicates etc, you have to write the algorithm or pseudo code
    4. Behavioral, where you will be asked with the how manage the pressure, how do you work in multiple projects, etc..
    5. HR it is to close the deal, about compensation, notice period etc

Interview Questions

• well prepared for the scenario based questions and good knowledge about SQL   Answer Question