Capital One

Updated Jan 13, 2015

2.8

32 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Senior Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One.

Applied Online. Initial Phone interview had basic math questions related to profit-loss, breakeven and weighted averages. Second round in person interview..2 case studies and 2 behavior rounds.
First Case was on credit cards, the common on found on glassdoor.
I blew up the second case, so will try to re-create as much as possible. Cap One wants to run a campaign for 4 months, what will be profit before and after. How can you determine if the profit is because of the campaign. Internal team came up with some numbers : 8$ profit per person before 4 months and 9 $ after, and my original calculations were 10$ profit before and 12$ after..so basically calculate relative profit.. basic concept was incremental profit..so read up on that

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Senior Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One.

The interview process was pretty straightforward. There was first an interview with a recruiter which involved five pretty simple math problems which evidently has replaced the online version. I believe they're just looking for the ability to think through the questions in a timely manner. There was also just an overview of my technical skills and professional experience in this interview. From here the recruiter forwarded my resume and details to the "DA Council" who decided I was worth flying out to Richmond.

The interview in Richmond was pretty fun. I flew in the night before and stayed in the Marriott near their campus. Met some of the other interviewees in the morning. Overall it was kind of stressful but worthwhile. There was nothing adversarial between my fellow interviewees and Capital One did a good job at making us feel comfortable. It's worth noting that every one of the other interviewees had a Masters in either Stats or Information Systems, though evidently that's not exactly the norm for the Senior Data Analyst role. I was a Bachelors with work experience while 4 of the others had only Masters with little work experience.There were 2 case interview and 2 behavioral interviews for 6 (or was it 4?) STAR questions. I struggled a little with the first BI but did well on the 2 cases and the other BI. After the interviews we had a nice lunch and toured campus with two DAs. After lunch they asked me to stay for one final "BI" interview with a VP, but it was really quite informal. Packed up after that and caught a ride to the airport. Sent out my thank yous and a quick note to the recruiter that night. Got a call the next morning from the recruiter that I was a "recommend for hire," but needed to be "allocated" to a team.

I expected that meant a formal offer would be forthcoming very soon, but in the 4 weeks after the interview I have yet to receive an offer and am kind of caught up in limbo, though I still have my current job. It's not like I get picked up in a lottery or anything, it's just that I talk to a hiring manager, they greenlight me and I greenlight them and then I get "allocated." I'm still a "recommend for hire" but I've talked to one hiring manager in this time and that was not a match. Perhaps the reason for this sluggishness is due to the Holiday season, but it's frustrating that I stopped my job search and have waited a month with no allocation. The hiring manager that I talked to said that one of his new analysts waited 3 months to be allocated. WHAT? This is something that was not talked about in any of the other reviews so I hope this brings greater clarity to you job seekers. It was also made out to be much quicker when I talked to the recruiter. I hope this process is eliminated because it's unnecessary and remarkably inefficient. I had a good experience during the interview process and feel very positive about the position overall, but the allocation step has been absurd. Be warned, a "recommend for hire" is not the end of the road, don't halt your job search if you reach that step.

Interview Questions
    • Everything was pretty straightforward, just read some BI interviews and make sure you can talk about your professional/student experience.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2014.

Contacted by a recruiter on LinkedIn in early September. A 30-minute phone call that include 5 simple maths. The recruiter forwarded me to the on-site interview ("Power Day") which took place on October 8th. There were 8 interviewees included me, 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral interviews. After the interviews 2 analysts took all the interviewees to lunch. Nice buffet, lots of choices. Came back to interview rooms, talked to a director and got more information about the company.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bangalore (India)

I applied through a staffing agency. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in September 2014.

There will be 5 round of the interview, 1.Written SQL aptitude which includes null,aggregate functions, joins and inbuilt functions like string etc.
    2.second round will be face to face technical , where you will provide with the data sets and interviewer asks you retrieve data according to his needs. Mostly about joins ranks max min etc
    3. Third interview will be puzzle round where you asked about problem solving skills of sorting , grouping, fibi series , searching , eliminating duplicates etc, you have to write the algorithm or pseudo code
    4. Behavioral, where you will be asked with the how manage the pressure, how do you work in multiple projects, etc..
    5. HR it is to close the deal, about compensation, notice period etc

Interview Questions
    • well prepared for the scenario based questions and good knowledge about SQL   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, ON (Canada)
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North York, ON (Canada)

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Capital One.

Referred by a friend there in a similar position to the one I applied to. Passed the online test and the phone interview, but was screened after the first in-person interviews (personality and case). Stumbled on some interest calculations. People seemed friendly, ambitious, perhaps overworked. I don't feel that the culture was a good fit for me, personally.

Interview Questions
    • case interview was about the decision process for accepting or declining a given credit card transaction   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One in May 2014.

I read about all the case interviews I can find before the interview. You shouldn't have any problems with them if you gather all the information you can get from Glassdoor and other websites. I think I did OK in the case interviews, but what impressed the interviewers were the behavior questions I prepared. They were trying to match your experience with their real situation work. So if you read all the case interviews online, you can get a general idea of what this position does in the company. And when you do prepare for the behavior questions, you should try to make them similar to the case interviews you read. So give them what they are looking for and make them believe that you can fill the role with former experience and knowledge. Try to be confident and don't panic. Casers are very friendly and there to help you when you need it. Good luck.

Interview Questions
    Haven't really decided to go or not. Doesn't have the option.

Senior Data Analyst Interview

the process was okay. they make u fly to VA. they do not care for skills. Ask to work on case studies. the interview takes place for 4 - 5 hrs. before onsite they look for ur quantitative aptitude

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

I applied through a referral and the process took 4 weeks. The first phase was a phone interview by recruiter with 5 easy math questions. Then, was invited for an onsite interview with 2 case and 2 behavioral questions questions. Expect questions on break-even and weighted average questions in case interviews. Behavioral questions were pretty simple.

Interview Questions
    • Call center Handling time.
      1. Calculate average handling time
      2. How much should transfer rate decrease to save $1 Million.
      3. Strategy to reach the target

Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One.

Contacted by a recruiter. First round phone interview was easy, 5 simple math questions, algebra and such. Invited to Richmond for the second round interview. two behavioral interviews and two case interviews.

One case interview was about a call center. they showed you a table about how many minutes per call they got for customer service from Monday to Sunday and how many calls they got each day. asked about the average minutes per call. then they told you there are two types of calls: one type is the representative can solve immediately, the other type is the call has to be transferred to another person. they told you the percentage of each type and the cost of each call per minute. they told you type ii is more expensive because it takes longer time. now they want to cut costs by $1 million. how much is the percentage of type ii calls should be.

second case interview was about atm. they want you to know how atms make profit. by charging customers from other banks. two types of atms again. one they put at their branches. other they put elsewhere. they told you the costs of two types. type ii is more expensive to operate but can make profit. they want you to calculate break even points. then ask you to draw a plot. don't remember details.

Interview Questions
    • be careful about the details when you do math (units and such).   Answer Question

Senior Data Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One in March 2013.

I saw very interesting position description which matched with my skill set and career ambition. I applied on their website. Their job application site is very well designed and the initial follow up was impressive. In 2-3 days I heard back from the recruiter that they would like to conduct the first interview. I was happy and started preparing for the interviews. On the day of the interview, after a few very easy questions about mathematics, eligibility for employment question came up. I work on H1B visa in the related industry. I also have EAD card through GC application, so I can work for any employer in USA using any of these two work authorizations. The recruiter was very ill prepared to hear this and kept on insisting that I should only have H1B visa to work. At the end of 30 minutes, he said he will check with his manager and come back.

I followed up after a few days, but never saw a reply from him. I feel sad that I lost an amazing opportunity because of an uneducated recruiter.

I do not believe that Capital One discriminate in recruitment process but I know this recruiter definitely discriminated against me.

Interview Questions
    • What is your work authorization? I do not think that you can work using EAD card. :( :(   Answer Question