Capital One

Average Difficulty
11 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Operations Analyst

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Capital One in June 2014.

Interview Details – Called by a recruiter around one week after I applied the position online. Set up a phone interview with a sr. operations manager with more than 10 years experience. The phone interview is mainly a case study, without background check or behavioral questions. Took 45 mins.

Interview Question – Case study about the cost benefit analysis of their call center, located in US and Philippine. Do basic calculation on the total cost given information about number of agencies, salary rate, and duration of phone calls. Also some basic personal opinions are asked such as why and how the strategy is chosen.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

Interview Details – 1 phone interview - case interview.

Interview Question – Phone case interview: The company has an online document centre which keeps track of all of the info about its customers. We offered our customers a free option to enroll in e statements and stop receiving paper statements. The enrollment numbers are below our expectations. We want to launch a marketing campaign. What are some of the factors that you would consider to design such a campaign? List them and briefly explain.

Now, I have some data for you. The marketing dept has determined that it would send across 150,000 emails to customers based on two different strategies. Each email costs 25 cents and the lifetime savings for each customer enrolled will be $20. For the first strategy, the customer receives a one time statement credit of $15 and under the second strategy, the customer receives a credit of $5. Which strategy would you prefer and why?

When asked about response rates, the interviewer gave response rates of 15% and 10% for the two strategies.
  Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I interviewed at Capital One in June 2012.

Interview Details – I hired through the website and was quickly scheduled for 2 telephonic rounds post which I was asked to come for a face to face interview. There were multiple rounds in the face to face interview.

Interview Question – A lot of emphasis was on credit card related questions and risk of customers. There were rounds of case interviews and behavioral interviews at the end of which they will ask you to stay back if you have been selected.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in February 2010.

Interview Details – 2 case interviews & 2 behavioral interviews. Before these there was a screening math test

Interview Question – Case Interview was challenging   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Not much room to negotiate.

Plano, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2013.

Interview Details – Applied through campus recruiting, invited to super day few weeks later. Night prior to interview, they have a meet and greet with new hires in the position you're interviewing for. If you can, I'd recommend you skip it or make a brief appearance. You're better off prepping or sleeping. The interviews themselves are as follows: 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral in some order. If you do well, you will be invited to stay for a third case interview after lunch. If you do well on the third case, you will get the job. If you are told that you are done for the day after lunch and do not get a third case, you did not get the job. The behavioral interview is very easy, standard behavioral fanfare. The cases are quantitative and do have correct answers. I was asked two case questions: one on deciding how to market to clients (either through mail or telemarketing) and one on how to assess risk on credit cards. Know the response rate & breakeven formulas and you should be okay. Study hard and get yourself acclimated with the practice cases that they provide beforehand. Finally, they respond within 4-5 days of the interview of the decision, and like I said, if you didn't get a third case interview, don't hold your breath. Company seemed like a good place to work, so it was disappointing to not get the offer.

Interview Question – Case questions mentioned above   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

Interview Details – I got in touch with a HR rep from Capital One and he sent me an online assessment which I cleared. I was then called for an in person interview. 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral. do all the questions already posted on glassdoor.

Interview Question – Credit card Insurance case question   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in August 2011.

Interview Details – Applied through university posting. Worked with helpful recruiter who coached through the online tests (work style, quant, verbal) and on-site interviews. CO has the process down cold: travel agency books flights/drivers/hotel, you just show up at your home airport the day before, fly, get shuttled to your hotel, to the campus the next morning, through the whole process, and get dropped off at the airport again. A quick 18-24 hours total.

The interviews were two behavioral, two case, group lunch, and possible interview after lunch based on remaining questions. The company stresses risk averse, ethical banking, and a collaborative, meritocracy, non-hierarchical, workforce. They want people who WANT to be there (many I spoke to have been there 10+ years), and even have on-site career counselors to help you find other positions or even outside jobs if you are not happy. Friendly place and people, beautiful sprawling campus in upscale suburb. They are rapidly expanding on the retail banking side with a goal of becoming a top five bank in the US, and I heard they are hiring THOUSANDS in the next few months. Good luck...

Interview Questions

• CASE: Cross-selling Credit Insurance to Cardholders
    direct mail: .50, 1% response rate, avg balance $1000, 5% claim insurance, etc. Profitable? How make more profitable? What if response rate doubled but claims doubled? Make chart of profit curve, what does it mean if..., etc.
      View Answers (12)
  • CASE: Alumni Affinity Program
    partner w universities for branded cards for grads, good idea? avg apr, cost of capital, avg balance, avg credit limit, percentage of charge offs, etc. Read a chart, draw a loss rate curve and interpret various meanings.
      View Answer
  • CASE: Recovering Written-off Past Due Balances
    6 months past due, avg $2000 balance, 15% pay in full, profitable? If introduce settlement option for 60% of balance, 10% pay settlement but 5% of them dont pay in full, better choice? With new model, now 9% pay in full, but with settlement option now 10% take settlement but a third of original payers dont pay in full, better? etc. (poorly worded and confusing case. unhelpful vague interviewer, arggg, cost me the job).
      View Answers (3)
  • Behavioral (3 q's per 45 minute interview):
    A time you called on an "expert" to complete a task or problem.
    A time you faced an obstacle to a project being on-time.
    A time you needed to learn something new for a project.
    A time when you persuaded others to see and accept your view.
    A time when you needed to organize and manage a new assignment while continuing a current assignment.
    A time when you significantly and quickly adapted plans to the changing goals of a project or team.
      View Answer

Plano, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Capital One in July 2011.

Interview Details – I Applied Online and received a phone call from a recruiting cordinator inviting me for an online assessment which I passed the same day. The following day I received a call from a recruiter inviting me for an onsite interview in Plano, TX. I was flown in really lookd after as I was put up in a nice and contemporary hotel across from the campus.

The day of the interview, I discovered that there were about 10 other individuals interviewing as well. The onsite interview consisted of a behavioral interview and 2 case studies. Behavioral interview consusted of 3 questions and then there was enought time foor me to have informal discussion.

The Case interviews were a little more intense than I expected. Both were related to Credit Card industry. The first was about finding profit based on variable APRs ( PROFIT = REVENUE-COST) . Make sure to think out loud and let the interviewer see your approach. Second Case Interview was about calculating the break even based on probability of good and bad credit applications.

My advice is to have few examples ready for beahviorial interview and brush up on basic algerbaic and probability formulas. Best of Luck!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a Time when you have to persuade others to see things your way   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time when you have to juggle between two projects.   Answer Question

McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in May 2011.

Interview Details – First round was the telephone screen by HR. It was just about the resume.
Second round was five interviews at their Richmond office. They fly you and put you in a nice hotel. The process was really comfortable. Second round consists of three case and two behavioral interviews. Cases were not traditional cases. They were analytical and based on cards business entirely. The final round case was really hard.

Interview Question – Case based on Credit Cards. Mostly driven by probabilities and expected value.   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Opportunity for career growth seemed low

Plano, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in August 2010.

Interview Details – 1. Took online math test (Easy, like ACT Math)
2. Went in for office interview
   -2 Case Interviews (Not to hard, but others seem to think they are)
   -1 Behavioural Interview (Like interviews at every other company)
3. Got offer within the next few days.

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate. They increased my salary by 5K, to the max salary for my position.

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!