Capital One Senior Operations Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.4

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2015.

Capital one basically runs an interview mill in Richmond. I'm sure recruiters have to bring through X number of people a month. 2 behavioral and 2 case studies all back to back. Quite boring and repetitive. Don't waste your time.

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Senior Operations Analyst Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

The whole process went on very well and all the staff and interviewers were super nice. They were very helpful.
    2 case interviews and 2 behavior interviews for the final round at Richmond.
    Behavior questions were very similar to the prepare examples they provided before the interview. Get familiar with your previous experiences and remembered details would help. Behavior questions were not hard, just try to use the STAR format and you should be fine.
    Case interviews had lots of math and calculations. Once you figured out the equation, it is not that hard. My first case was about ATM and how to choose location to place an ATM, and list the revenue resources and cost resources. Then interviewer provided some data to calculate the calculate the annual profit. Then draw a graph about total volume using the ATM and the % of non capital one customers. Show how to increase profit on the graph. Then discussed some limitations such as could not have unlimited volume etc.
    My second case was about life insurance. You are a product manager and want to decide whether it is profitable. Customers will pay a premium to buy the insurance, and once they dead we need to pay a one-time fee to the beneficiaries. Also provided some other costs. Then calculated the max %of death if the company want to profit in a year. You have to assume when you customers will die during this year. Then provided 4 customers segments(A,B,C,D) with different probability of death but same % of population. Then we have 4 different strategies, 1 only contains A, risk is 1%, 2 contains A and B, risk is 2%, 3 contains A,B,C, risk is 3%, 4 contains A,B,C,D, risk is 4%. If you want to max profit, which strategy would you choose. Then draw a graph to show the relationship between the strategies and the total profit.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me a time when you had to pursue others to agree with you.
      Tell me a time when you had to quickly adapt to a changing object in a project.

Answer Question

Senior Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One.

There are 3 rounds of interviews. 1. recruiter telephone, basically introduce the company and the position and arrange the time for the next interview; 2. sr. manager telephone case interview 45 min. Telephone case interview is about call centers in US and Philippines. Calculation is simple, but strategic thinking is important, not easy to pass. Feedback is pretty quick. In the next day, you'll know the result from your recruiter.; 3. onsite case interviews and behavior interview
    The interval between interviews is 1 to 1.5 weeks
    Recruiter and interviewers are very nice

Interview Questions
    • Behavior interview will ask very detail about your previous experience. You should prepare more examples in every aspects to show your personality and ability match the position and company   Answer Question

Senior Operations Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One in June 2014.

Called by a recruiter around one week after I applied the position online. Set up a phone interview with a sr. operations manager with more than 10 years experience. The phone interview is mainly a case study, without background check or behavioral questions. Took 45 mins.

Interview Questions
    • Case study about the cost benefit analysis of their call center, located in US and Philippine. Do basic calculation on the total cost given information about number of agencies, salary rate, and duration of phone calls. Also some basic personal opinions are asked such as why and how the strategy is chosen.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

1 phone interview - case interview.

Interview Questions
    • Phone case interview: The company has an online document centre which keeps track of all of the info about its customers. We offered our customers a free option to enroll in e statements and stop receiving paper statements. The enrollment numbers are below our expectations. We want to launch a marketing campaign. What are some of the factors that you would consider to design such a campaign? List them and briefly explain.

Now, I have some data for you. The marketing dept has determined that it would send across 150,000 emails to customers based on two different strategies. Each email costs 25 cents and the lifetime savings for each customer enrolled will be $20. For the first strategy, the customer receives a one time statement credit of $15 and under the second strategy, the customer receives a credit of $5. Which strategy would you prefer and why?

When asked about response rates, the interviewer gave response rates of 15% and 10% for the two strategies.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

interviewed at Capital One in June 2012.

I hired through the website and was quickly scheduled for 2 telephonic rounds post which I was asked to come for a face to face interview. There were multiple rounds in the face to face interview.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of emphasis was on credit card related questions and risk of customers. There were rounds of case interviews and behavioral interviews at the end of which they will ask you to stay back if you have been selected.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in February 2010.

2 case interviews & 2 behavioral interviews. Before these there was a screening math test

Interview Questions
    Not much room to negotiate.

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2013.

Applied through campus recruiting, invited to super day few weeks later. Night prior to interview, they have a meet and greet with new hires in the position you're interviewing for. If you can, I'd recommend you skip it or make a brief appearance. You're better off prepping or sleeping. The interviews themselves are as follows: 2 case interviews and 1 behavioral in some order. If you do well, you will be invited to stay for a third case interview after lunch. If you do well on the third case, you will get the job. If you are told that you are done for the day after lunch and do not get a third case, you did not get the job. The behavioral interview is very easy, standard behavioral fanfare. The cases are quantitative and do have correct answers. I was asked two case questions: one on deciding how to market to clients (either through mail or telemarketing) and one on how to assess risk on credit cards. Know the response rate & breakeven formulas and you should be okay. Study hard and get yourself acclimated with the practice cases that they provide beforehand. Finally, they respond within 4-5 days of the interview of the decision, and like I said, if you didn't get a third case interview, don't hold your breath. Company seemed like a good place to work, so it was disappointing to not get the offer.

Senior Operations Analyst Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in November 2011.

the process is standard with two case interviews and a behavior.
    about the call center stats and default analysis

Interview Questions
    • call center handliing time. take the weighted average, and new initiative on second level support, % of transfer rate to jusftify the addtional cost   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in October 2011.

I got in touch with a HR rep from Capital One and he sent me an online assessment which I cleared. I was then called for an in person interview. 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral. do all the questions already posted on glassdoor.