Capital One

Average Difficulty
41 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Very Difficult Interview

Statistician

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in March 2012.

Interview Details – Difficult interview. Have case studies that have a lot to do with credit cards. Know the financial aspect, terms, etc. There's also a phone interview with someone from the department you apply for. Didn't do well with cases and didn't get offer for internship.

Interview Questions

Statistician

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at Capital One in September 2010.

Interview Details – it took about 50 min. of phone interview and after that, I was offered to have a on site interview next month.

Interview Question – he asked lots of concepts of statistics   Answer Question

Toronto, ON (Canada)

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at Capital One in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online for the position. 2 weeks later, I got an email to notify if i would like to take part in a online test which will cost about 3 hours. I chose yes and began the test immediately. Questions are not that hard but time is so tight. The 2nd day I received another email said I passed. The HR dept will set up a phone-interview shortly. Phone interview didn't go smoothly cause some questions about behaviors are hard to answer. Two days later, I was told not pass their interview.

Interview Question – case study   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

Interview Details – Got contacted by a hiring agent after applying on the company website to take a IQ test. Passed that and was contacted again for a phone interview. The turn around time was fast. The phone interview is mostly technical questions as it is for a quantitative position. Make sure to know your basic statistical concepts like mean, standard deviation, etc... Also, make sure you know linear regression concepts. The interviewer was very nice and seemed very laid back.

Interview Question – How would you explain mean and standard deviation to someone who doesn't know statistics   Answer Question

Statistician

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

Interview Details – I applied this position from the website and then received an email to do online assessments, including Numerical Reasoning and Verbal Reasoning. For numerical part, questions are very easy; for reasoning part, the time is very limited, and I did not finish them. However, after one day, I was told that I had passed this assessment, and I got a phone interview with one of the statisticians. On the phone, he only asked technical questions without any behavior or general question. After that, I was rejected.

Interview Questions

Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One.

Interview Details – Capital One has an extremely professional hiring process. In my case they set in advance the dates for every step in the hiring process. About one week later after the screening interview I received a notification requesting to fill out a profile in their website and pass a straightforward calculations test (read information from tables, calculate percentages, and so on...). Then I had an onsite interview in Richmond, VA. The bank pays for your roundtrip fare and one night at a hotel nearby.

The interview day consisted of four interviews, one hour each: two case interviews, one behavioral and one role-playing interview (I had to explain the results of an analysis to one statistician who pretended to only have a basic knowledge of regression). I also had lunch and was shown their Richmond campus. The offices are very nice, lots of open space and obviously a quiet place as most people is focused on their workstation. The interviewers, the HR manager and everybody else I met that day were very friendly.

Interview Question – Case question about the credit card business. I was prepared, I did a lot of background reading on consumer lending, yet the question required me to think either as a delinquent customer or as a financial analyst for the bank. I'm neither one nor the other.   View Answer

Houston, TX

I applied through college or university and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

Interview Details – I am going to have a campus review soon and I will definitely share my experience but I truly need to check out the previous experience.

Interview Question – The questions are all about credit cards which is really hard for someone with no background in economy and finance like me.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in January 2014.

Interview Details – The on-site interview was divided into 4 parts. 1 Behavior interview, 1 Role play interview and 2 case interview. In the behavior interview, they will ask you "tell me a time when...". And they will send you a behavior question list prior to the interview so that you will have time to prepare. The cases are all about business questions even I was applying for a statistical modeling position. They still want you to be familiar with the business concepts.

Interview Question – The business cases are unexpected. I thought they would be statistical related. But unfortunitely they are all about business.   Answer Question

Richmond, VA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online. After a week, I got an email and was requested to set up a technical phone screen with me. I talked with a senior statistician around 45 minutes, and he was a kind person. However, the voice quality of the phone interview was terrible. First, I was asked some basic statistics questions for example p-value,standard deviation, correlation, multicolinearity. After that, He asked me questions regarding logistic regression. Finally, the last application question was related to donation. I believe that I respond to questions properly except the last one.

Interview Question – The last application question was a little bit confusing. I did not really get what I was supposed to do.   Answer Question

Statistician

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

Interview Details – A typical Capital One interview. Like most of the others who shared their experience here. After passing the phone/technical interview, I got an on-site interview. One behavioral, two cases, and one role play. Three behavioral questions: 1. tell me a time when you learned something new; 2. tell me a time when you had to get help from a coworker; 3. tell me a time when you persuaded someone to see things in your way. Cases are break-even analysis and some probability calculation. Role play is the flight delay problem. Interviewers were polite, but a bit distant. I didn't feel connected to them. I'm sure the feeling was mutual, as I didn't get the offer.

Interview Question – The case involving probability calculation was difficult. Be sure to review your probability theory before the on-site interview, although I don't see why it should determine the interview outcome.   Answer Question

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!