Capital One Statistician Interview Questions

Updated Mar 18, 2015
Updated Mar 18, 2015

3.1

Statistician Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One.

They first ask you to do the self introduction, then they will ask you some real life based definition questions. You need answer them based on the situations. They ask you some basic statistics concepts in the example. Finally they will also ask you to choose a model to solve the problems.

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Statistician Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Received a email to schedule a phone interview about 2 weeks after I submit my resume.
    The phone interview last about half an hour. Firstly, talk about some details about your own project experience. Then some basic statistics concept questions. Then a business case.
    Receive a email about the interview results the very next day.

Interview Questions
    • Explain some basic concept to a client who does not have much statistics background. p-value, confidence interval, and multicollinearity.   Answer Question
    • If a university want to raise money and their budget is 1 million dollars. What should they do?   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One in February 2015.

1. tell me something about yourself
    2. basic statistical concepts: confidence interval, p-value, multicollinearity, missing data imputation, sample size, etc.
    3. fundraising: a) data use need b) model you use c) statistical analysis you plan to conduct

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2015.

They scheduled a campus recruiting first, all about statistics questions such as what's confidence interval, p value, ANOVA, etc. I was also asked to design tests for randomization. The notice about onsite interview came the next day. There were 4 interviews-2 case, 1 role play and 1 behavioral. The first case was given you the required profit margin, asked about the market share, and whether the company should retrieve from the business. Plus, if the company decided to stay, what strategy could be employed. The second case was simple, basically understanding of statistics was enough. The hardest part for me is the role play. The model analyzed a problem of delayed flights. You had to understand the graphs and the model quickly and to prepare for a presentation to someone who pretended know nothing about stats. The problem for me was the time is limited and it was hard for me to organize my answer well. The behavioral question was typical.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about your experience persuading someone and change their opinion.
      Tell me about a time when you encounter great change of your project.
      Tell me about a project that you're most proud of .

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

First applied online. And got an email to have a phone screen. It lasts 2 weeks for all these procedures going. After this phone screen there will be one onsite at plano, Texas. The interviewer for the phone screen is friendly. However, every question the he asked must have some key words he wants. And he will lead you to a specific topic.

Interview Questions
    • Pretty much like others. What is the p-value, the mean and variance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA
    Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

I applied through other source – interviewed at Capital One in August 2014.

There were 3 people, one from higher management team, one is the leader of one statistician team and another senior statistician. They asked both past experience, my research and then a case question

Interview Questions
    • They asked about my research and how I will analysis data at given situation.   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at Capital One in February 2015.

45 mins telephone interviews. The interviewer asked several basic statistical concepts (e.g. cross validation, multicollinearity, variable selection... ) and gave one case study and you need to provide a brief solution for the fund-raising problem.

Interview Questions
    • statistical methods for modeling data with thousands of variables.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

They put me one the speaker while talking. Basic statistics questions about mean, SD, CI, multicollinearity(with some other information).
    normal distributed, SD=10, what you can get from this.
    CI 95% 5% 6%, explain.
    something about respond rate(forgot)
    If you impute the income by the mean, what will happen to the credit card company. Explain your answers. (Large amount of data or small amount, what will happen when lower income was replaced, how about higher income)
    Hope this will help and good luck.

Interview Questions
    • 500,000 alumnus make donations, 1,000 factors. Binary target. Go through the process of model setting.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at Capital One in February 2015.

45 minutes phone interview about some basic statistics knowledge, such as linear regression, pvalue and confidence interval. Also a case about dealing with data with hundreds of predictors, ask what will you do. Onsite interview consists of 1 behavior, 2 case study and 1 role play. Finished in the morning before lunch, quite intensive.

Interview Questions
    • what will you do when there is a conflict in your project and how to convince others?   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Capital One in January 2015.

Applied through campus recruiting website. Got email from HR to set up phone interviews. Questions are a mix of basic statistics - Multicollinearity , CI, P-value, - and two cases. The interviewer does not really ask too much about my resume.

Interview Questions
    • you are given a data set of alumni donation with 5000 predictors, we want to know how you will predict whether a given alumni will donate or not. What would you do   Answer Question