Capital One Statistician Interview Questions

Updated Jun 30, 2015

3.1

Statistician Interview

Anonymous Employee in Toronto, ON (Canada)

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at Capital One (Toronto, ON (Canada)) in June 2015.

Interview

Hiring through campus website. Got the first round interview 4 days after application. After the interview, wait 2-3 days to know the whether can be selected for the 2nd round interview. The second round interview is back-to-back interview without cases. A short case interview for about 20 minutes for the first round. Very similar to the one posted online as the example.

Interview Questions

• Case interview. Begin with simple introduction on yourself and ends up with questions.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for Capital One

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

First round was phone interview, totally 5 questions, 4 of them were related to basic stat concepts but given in real world background. Got notice about the final round about three hours later. On-site was much harder than the first, more business focused rather than statistics.

Interview Questions

• P-value, Ci, missing value, fund raising.
      life insurance, credit card verification, flight delay, behavioral.

Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in April 2013.

Interview

First round was an easy phone interview, then three on site interviews. They invited me over after the phone interview. Two fo three on-site interviews were technical and one was personality test.

Interview Questions

• Things like interpreting output of a logistic regression   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

the interviewer started by talking about the internship, the responsibilities and duties, and possible promotions.
    then he started the techniques questions part. he asked about 5 big questions, all relevant to statistics. I would say at least mediate level of statistics. The easiest questions is to interpret a 95% confidence interval; while the hardest one is asking how to deal with a very large data, like what is your thought process and what techniques you might want to use. I did not get a feedback on my answers so i did not know whether my answer is correct or not.

Interview Questions

• linear regression models, detect of collinearity, and how to check and correct them.
      confidence interval.
      a case with 1000 predictors and half million observation, how you gonna deal with it.
      what is overfitting and how to detect over-fitting

Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One.

Interview

They first ask you to do the self introduction, then they will ask you some real life based definition questions. You need answer them based on the situations. They ask you some basic statistics concepts in the example. Finally they will also ask you to choose a model to solve the problems.

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at Capital One in March 2015.

Interview

Received a email to schedule a phone interview about 2 weeks after I submit my resume.
    The phone interview last about half an hour. Firstly, talk about some details about your own project experience. Then some basic statistics concept questions. Then a business case.
    Receive a email about the interview results the very next day.

Interview Questions

• Explain some basic concept to a client who does not have much statistics background. p-value, confidence interval, and multicollinearity.   Answer Question
    • If a university want to raise money and their budget is 1 million dollars. What should they do?   Answer Question

Statistician Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One in February 2015.

Interview

1. tell me something about yourself
    2. basic statistical concepts: confidence interval, p-value, multicollinearity, missing data imputation, sample size, etc.
    3. fundraising: a) data use need b) model you use c) statistical analysis you plan to conduct

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Richmond, VA) in February 2015.

Interview

They scheduled a campus recruiting first, all about statistics questions such as what's confidence interval, p value, ANOVA, etc. I was also asked to design tests for randomization. The notice about onsite interview came the next day. There were 4 interviews-2 case, 1 role play and 1 behavioral. The first case was given you the required profit margin, asked about the market share, and whether the company should retrieve from the business. Plus, if the company decided to stay, what strategy could be employed. The second case was simple, basically understanding of statistics was enough. The hardest part for me is the role play. The model analyzed a problem of delayed flights. You had to understand the graphs and the model quickly and to prepare for a presentation to someone who pretended know nothing about stats. The problem for me was the time is limited and it was hard for me to organize my answer well. The behavioral question was typical.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about your experience persuading someone and change their opinion.
      Tell me about a time when you encounter great change of your project.
      Tell me about a project that you're most proud of .

2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Plano, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One (Plano, TX) in February 2014.

Interview

First applied online. And got an email to have a phone screen. It lasts 2 weeks for all these procedures going. After this phone screen there will be one onsite at plano, Texas. The interviewer for the phone screen is friendly. However, every question the he asked must have some key words he wants. And he will lead you to a specific topic.

Interview Questions

• Pretty much like others. What is the p-value, the mean and variance?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Boston, MA

Application

I applied through other source – interviewed at Capital One (Boston, MA) in August 2014.

Interview

There were 3 people, one from higher management team, one is the leader of one statistician team and another senior statistician. They asked both past experience, my research and then a case question

Interview Questions

• They asked about my research and how I will analysis data at given situation.   Answer Question