Capital One

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Senior Data Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on their website, phone screened by recruiter with 5 easy math questions.

Then was invited for an on-site interview with 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral interviews.

Behavioral questions are(they are allowed to be taken out, and I had them written down on paper, so these questions are exact):
tell me a time when
1. you called on an expert for their expertise
2. successfully avoided an obstacle to deliver a project on time
3. learnt something new to accomplish a project
4. had to turn a general goal to a realistic plan
5. responsible for implementing a new project/process. better use an example that involved someone else
6. had to take significant risk to sell an idea when others did not see the potential of the idea

Case questions are(the notes are not allowed to be taken out, but ok if by memory):
1. Capital One is working with a department store on a credit card. Initial opening bonus paid to store, interest cost, annual fee etc. are given on a piece of paper. You'll need to calc the profit. And it's not profitable. So what's the BEP of opening bonus? What if we want to have a progressive opening bonus based on accounts opened? What's the curve of profit against accounts opened? Where's the highest point and how much?

2. You are CEO of a satellite TV company by the time when it's unpopular. What's the advantage and risk for this situation? Then you're given estimated revenue and cost(variable and fixed). Calc profitability. There are 2 ways to increase profit, 1 is to offer more free months and attract more customer, 1 is to reduce fixed cost but might reduce customer. Which is optimal? Where does the reduced customer and original proposal breakeven?

Then when they decided to give you an offer, you'll be arranged to be called by the director of the department you'll be assigned to.

Very much thank to the 998 Glassdoor interview reviews when I was preparing the interview. I've read 600+ of them, all about Analysts and even some of Tellers and Managers, Directors interviews. Get yourself familiar with the cases here, none of actual cases will be from what you read but they all give you a sense of what it would be like so that you won't panic, that you won't fail on junior high school maths and basic economic logic. Prepare behavior questions accordingly and actual questions will be very similar. And even if they are quite different, be flexible and use your examples accordingly, emphasize the characters asked in the actual question, NOT WHAT YOU PREPARED.

I read 600+ of the 1000 reviews here and I rated the interview to be easy. If you believe me and thought the interview will be easy, HAVE YOU DONE WHAT I'VE DONE?

Good luck! See you in Capital One!

Interview Question – Prepare 6-7 situations for behavioral questions and be flexible if they questions is not asked in the way as you are prepared. Try to find the character they asked from your prepared examples. Cases are easy, if you make mistake and feel your answer is awkward, ask for help and modify your calc. I did make a mistake. It was a typo carried to next step's calc. And I found out and asked for help, and found out what's wrong with the formula I wrote.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I did try to negotiate but frankly speaking, the salary is fair for the location I am placed. I had orally accepted the offer and is in process of signing and background check. If you want a life-time company, and/or a graduate company, here it goes.

Business Analysis Manager Interview

Business Analysis Manager
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in May 2014.

Interview Details – applied online and was contacted by recruiter within a week or so. BA interviews are conducted on pre-determined interview days so i was given a few days to select from.

day consisted of 3 interviews before lunch and a potential for a 4th interview if necessary.

the first case was about an internet service provider. i was given info on revenue / costumer and fixed & variable cost details and asked to calculate the value of a customer. the case facilitator was helpful as we discussed the case and was actively engaged. next question was to determine, qualitatively, how to increase customer value. another piece of information was given and i had to recalculate customer value. i was then asked to graph price / profit curve. overall, not to difficult but a ton of details to keep in mind when working through the problems. make sure to ask questions throughout to ensure you have all the relevant info or if you're stuck.

second case centered around a life insurance company. asked to calculate break even point for a set of customers given annual mortality rates. then facilitator drew some graphs on the whiteboard and asked to complete the rest of the profit curve. that was it...much shorter / simpler case than the one before. two folks came to give me the case. the main interviewer was actually supposed to be shadowing for training purposes as i was told that would be the case at the beginning of the day, but she ended leading the entire conversation. unlike the first interview, i got no feedback on my answers, just a few one word answers and head nods.

final interview of the day was your typical behavioral interview:
- name a time you learned something new
- tell me about a time you had a conflict with an individual / team
- etc...

Interview Question – no really difficult questions. as mentioned above, just be sure to ask questions throughout the cases to ensure you got all you need to work though the case. some of the asks could be subtle and tricky.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Director Product Management Interview

Director Product Management
McLean, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone screen with SVP, then VP and recruiter. Took 4 months to schedule the in-person interview (I went back to SVP to inquire about the delay). I have extensive relevant product experience and have always been viewed as a top performer in my jobs so felt I would be a great match and asset based on phone conversations. Was told that although data analysis wasn't requirement for Product role, every candidate had to go through Case interview (which was completely foreign to me and several other people I spoke to). Studied the examples they provided and felt semi-prepared but knew this would not be my strong suit. Ended up having THREE Case interviews in a row...followed by 2 behavioral. By the time the behavioral rolled around, I was drained and not at my best.

Interview Question – The behavioral was pretty standard "tell me about a time..." type questioning. I asked one of the Case interviewers if I was getting the "easy" Case questions (e.g. Break-even analysis) given I was applying for product role, and was told no - and this one is "really hard" :/   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

Interview Details – on campu interview which involved a case interview

Interview Question – business case interview   Answer Question

Teller I Interview

Teller I
Sterling, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in May 2013.

Interview Details – You start with a phone conversation with a recruiter. Mine was very nice and had previously worked at the same company that I had just left. If you are good with people and good with money and questionnaires you should not have much difficulty getting to this stage and then the final interview. In my case I interviewed with two branch managers from my district.

Interview Question – How would you handle not hitting your monthly sales goal?   Answer Question

Statistician Intern Interview

Statistician Intern
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online on their website and received the phone screen interview inform two days later. The interview is about explaining several statistical definitions based on a given situation. The questions are like what other people had said, p-value, hypothesis test, multicollinearity, etc. No behavioral questions, just technical questions based on real-world problems. My advice of preparations is that thoroughly understand about the definitions and how to apply those techniques to practical problems, because the questions really go through details and you need to explain them to someone who only has basic statistic knowledge. The interviewer was really nice. I received the on-site interview inform three hours after the phone screen. Good luck to both you and me!

Interview Question – Go through details about a consulting procedure of a university fund-raising campaign.   Answer Question

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Laurel, MD

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process was pretty simple, I received two phone interviews and then a ftf, within a week I received a call back that I got the position

Data Governance Manager Interview

Data Governance Manager
McLean, VA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in August 2012.

Interview Details – Two rounds, one with the lead and the other was with the director of enterprise architecture.

Interview Question – Any experience planning / laying the roadmap for establishing governance for the company for next 2 years.   Answer Question

Operations Analyst Interview

Operations Analyst
College Park, MD

I applied through college or university and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Interview Details – This was a case interview. I was given a business type scenario where I was told about two types of customers and had to use business intuition to figure out which customer was more profitable, risky etc. I then had to answer two quantitative questions. After that, I was given the opportunity to ask questions.

Interview Question – Figuring out what total a cost percentage needed to be applied to.   Answer Question

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied through a staffing agency and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2012.

Interview Details – Power day:They made me drive to McLean even though I was applying for a role in Richmond and they do Power Days there as well.
A few cases studies involving solving a business problem. The idea is to show how you can do the math as well as see why each iteration in the problem yields a contradictory answer.
Behavioral interview. "Tell me about a time where..." etc. If you know the SOAR method, you should be fine.

Interview Question – Some very specific job skill related questions such as: Do you know the difference between a left join, inner join, and outer join?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Instead of the higher salary, I was given a large signing bonus. That actually worked out for the best since I wasn't there long enough to accumulate the gains from a higher salary.

Interviews for Top Jobs at Capital One

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at Capital One interview questions and advice in Washington, DC . All 109 interview reviews posted anonymously by Capital One employees and interview candidates.