Capital One

Relevance Date Difficulty

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Senior Data Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied on their website, phone screened by recruiter with 5 easy math questions.

Then was invited for an on-site interview with 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral interviews.

Behavioral questions are(they are allowed to be taken out, and I had them written down on paper, so these questions are exact):
tell me a time when
1. you called on an expert for their expertise
2. successfully avoided an obstacle to deliver a project on time
3. learnt something new to accomplish a project
4. had to turn a general goal to a realistic plan
5. responsible for implementing a new project/process. better use an example that involved someone else
6. had to take significant risk to sell an idea when others did not see the potential of the idea

Case questions are(the notes are not allowed to be taken out, but ok if by memory):
1. Capital One is working with a department store on a credit card. Initial opening bonus paid to store, interest cost, annual fee etc. are given on a piece of paper. You'll need to calc the profit. And it's not profitable. So what's the BEP of opening bonus? What if we want to have a progressive opening bonus based on accounts opened? What's the curve of profit against accounts opened? Where's the highest point and how much?

2. You are CEO of a satellite TV company by the time when it's unpopular. What's the advantage and risk for this situation? Then you're given estimated revenue and cost(variable and fixed). Calc profitability. There are 2 ways to increase profit, 1 is to offer more free months and attract more customer, 1 is to reduce fixed cost but might reduce customer. Which is optimal? Where does the reduced customer and original proposal breakeven?

Then when they decided to give you an offer, you'll be arranged to be called by the director of the department you'll be assigned to.

Very much thank to the 998 Glassdoor interview reviews when I was preparing the interview. I've read 600+ of them, all about Analysts and even some of Tellers and Managers, Directors interviews. Get yourself familiar with the cases here, none of actual cases will be from what you read but they all give you a sense of what it would be like so that you won't panic, that you won't fail on junior high school maths and basic economic logic. Prepare behavior questions accordingly and actual questions will be very similar. And even if they are quite different, be flexible and use your examples accordingly, emphasize the characters asked in the actual question, NOT WHAT YOU PREPARED.

I read 600+ of the 1000 reviews here and I rated the interview to be easy. If you believe me and thought the interview will be easy, HAVE YOU DONE WHAT I'VE DONE?

Good luck! See you in Capital One!

Interview Question – Prepare 6-7 situations for behavioral questions and be flexible if they questions is not asked in the way as you are prepared. Try to find the character they asked from your prepared examples. Cases are easy, if you make mistake and feel your answer is awkward, ask for help and modify your calc. I did make a mistake. It was a typo carried to next step's calc. And I found out and asked for help, and found out what's wrong with the formula I wrote.   View Answers (2)

Negotiation Details – I did try to negotiate but frankly speaking, the salary is fair for the location I am placed. I had orally accepted the offer and is in process of signing and background check. If you want a life-time company, and/or a graduate company, here it goes.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Senior Business Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in August 2014.

Interview Details – A recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIN and I had a screening call with him. He asked me to go over my resume and zeroed in on one experience I had with analyzing a large data set. I was scheduled for a Super Day the following week. The recruiter was extremely helpful and friendly- wish all recruiters could be this nice. I thought it was a bit strange that I bypassed the first round phone interview.

The Super Day itself was standard and other reviewers prepared me for what to expect. Each interviewee were assigned his/her own room and the interviewers come in. The first was a behavioral interview. While a 10-question list was sent in advance for preparation, I was not asked any of the questions on the list. The three questions I was asked were similar enough to those of the list that I wasn't caught off guard. The interviewer then probed further on certain points, taking notes on the company's standardized forms.

After that, I had two case interviews with an hour break between the two. The interviewers were both very nice- I didn't feel intimidated or stressed. While I had limited experience with case interviews, I didn't think the questions were difficult. They were both focused on credit cards, but didn't require industry knowledge (though some of it could make ideas flow faster). I tend to be a little slow and uncertain on the math which could have hurter me. I'm also not super organized on paper, which caused me to make some errors and definitely hurt me. The interviewers helped guide through the whole case and made sure the case came to a close, which was nice- a great way to learn and understand the case too. I once had a case interview I couldn't solve and the interviewer wouldn't reveal the answer, despite my genuine curiosity to learn.

Then came lunch- three employees came to take the group of interviewees for lunch. Everyone got a chance to speak to one of them at least once, but there was always one person attached to each analyst. Some interviewees just ended up talking among themselves. The cafeteria there is pretty awesome, and it's subsidized too. After lunch, we went on the tour of the building which was nice. Its a large campus with a super corporate feel.

After that, everyone went back to their rooms and the recruiter came to each one to reveal whether a third case interview was needed. While she insisted that being left out of the third case interview does not mean you will not get an offer, I think it kind of is a strong indicator. About half of the interviewee group was sent home.

I heard back the next day that I was rejected. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the recruiter did mention several times that less than 30% of the interviewees go on to receive offers. The whole process from screening to rejection was about a week, so quite a fast process.

Interview Question – Case was pretty standard. Both about profit maximization, so be sure to know how to calculate profit.   Answer Question

Creative Director Interview

Creative Director
McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in October 2013.

Interview Details – I was invited to participate in an interview day in McLean along with two other candidates. There were three behavioral interviews and one "job fit" interview given by the ECD. The behavioral interview was mostly a series of "Describe a time when you" questions, examples of which were given ahead of time. The interviewer is focused on writing so it was a little different at first but everyone was extremely pleasant and I felt both behavioral and the job fit interview went well, and ended with lunch in their upscale cafeteria.

Interview Question – It's not the most difficult question, but one that I recall: Describe a time when you introduced a new technology to your team.   View Answer

Very Easy Interview

Customer Service Representative Interview

Customer Service Representative
Laurel, MD

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied to Capital One Bank. They didn't reach out to me until my friend referred me. 2 weeks later a recruiter called me and set up a phone interview. She asked questions regarding my previous work experience, my skills she basically went over my resume, and also asked if i worked in a fast past environment. After the phone interview she set up a face to face interview for me. I went into that interview and again the manager ran over my resume, and asked behavioral questions. A week later i received a call telling me that I got the job and the recruiter listed out a couple of shifts that I could work.

Interview Questions

• Behavior questions, as far as when was there a time that you went above and beyond for a customer. Be as detailed as possible. Tell me the problem, how you solved it, what was the outcome, and what was the customers reaction? The questions aren't hard you just have to come prepared for customer service questions.   Answer Question
  • Name   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I wast able to negotiate anything. If you have had previous banking experience there is some lead way for negotiation for pay. As far as shifts that you will be working the is negotiation for that.

Java Developer Interview

Java Developer
Vienna, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at Capital One in July 2014.

Interview Details – Java test -
-----------------------------------------------------
It was timed programming test.

Job Fit telephonic interview
-----------------------------------------------
Telephonic screening had most of the question from your resume.
Was asked on Design patterns
One-to-one and one-to-many relationship
Web security- how its addressed etc
Any Exp. in content management

Interview Question – Most of the questions were based on present experience   Answer Question

Business Analysis Manager Interview

Business Analysis Manager
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in May 2014.

Interview Details – applied online and was contacted by recruiter within a week or so. BA interviews are conducted on pre-determined interview days so i was given a few days to select from.

day consisted of 3 interviews before lunch and a potential for a 4th interview if necessary.

the first case was about an internet service provider. i was given info on revenue / costumer and fixed & variable cost details and asked to calculate the value of a customer. the case facilitator was helpful as we discussed the case and was actively engaged. next question was to determine, qualitatively, how to increase customer value. another piece of information was given and i had to recalculate customer value. i was then asked to graph price / profit curve. overall, not to difficult but a ton of details to keep in mind when working through the problems. make sure to ask questions throughout to ensure you have all the relevant info or if you're stuck.

second case centered around a life insurance company. asked to calculate break even point for a set of customers given annual mortality rates. then facilitator drew some graphs on the whiteboard and asked to complete the rest of the profit curve. that was it...much shorter / simpler case than the one before. two folks came to give me the case. the main interviewer was actually supposed to be shadowing for training purposes as i was told that would be the case at the beginning of the day, but she ended leading the entire conversation. unlike the first interview, i got no feedback on my answers, just a few one word answers and head nods.

final interview of the day was your typical behavioral interview:
- name a time you learned something new
- tell me about a time you had a conflict with an individual / team
- etc...

Interview Question – no really difficult questions. as mentioned above, just be sure to ask questions throughout the cases to ensure you got all you need to work though the case. some of the asks could be subtle and tricky.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Director Product Management Interview

Director Product Management
McLean, VA

I applied through other source and the process took 4 months - interviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Interview Details – Initial phone screen with SVP, then VP and recruiter. Took 4 months to schedule the in-person interview (I went back to SVP to inquire about the delay). I have extensive relevant product experience and have always been viewed as a top performer in my jobs so felt I would be a great match and asset based on phone conversations. Was told that although data analysis wasn't requirement for Product role, every candidate had to go through Case interview (which was completely foreign to me and several other people I spoke to). Studied the examples they provided and felt semi-prepared but knew this would not be my strong suit. Ended up having THREE Case interviews in a row...followed by 2 behavioral. By the time the behavioral rolled around, I was drained and not at my best.

Interview Question – The behavioral was pretty standard "tell me about a time..." type questioning. I asked one of the Case interviewers if I was getting the "easy" Case questions (e.g. Break-even analysis) given I was applying for product role, and was told no - and this one is "really hard" :/   Answer Question

Data Analyst Interview

Data Analyst
McLean, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at Capital One in April 2012.

Interview Details – on campu interview which involved a case interview

Interview Question – business case interview   Answer Question

Teller I Interview

Teller I
Sterling, VA

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Capital One in May 2013.

Interview Details – You start with a phone conversation with a recruiter. Mine was very nice and had previously worked at the same company that I had just left. If you are good with people and good with money and questionnaires you should not have much difficulty getting to this stage and then the final interview. In my case I interviewed with two branch managers from my district.

Interview Question – How would you handle not hitting your monthly sales goal?   Answer Question

Statistician Intern Interview

Statistician Intern
McLean, VA

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at Capital One in March 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online on their website and received the phone screen interview inform two days later. The interview is about explaining several statistical definitions based on a given situation. The questions are like what other people had said, p-value, hypothesis test, multicollinearity, etc. No behavioral questions, just technical questions based on real-world problems. My advice of preparations is that thoroughly understand about the definitions and how to apply those techniques to practical problems, because the questions really go through details and you need to explain them to someone who only has basic statistic knowledge. The interviewer was really nice. I received the on-site interview inform three hours after the phone screen. Good luck to both you and me!

Interview Question – Go through details about a consulting procedure of a university fund-raising campaign.   Answer Question

Worked for Capital One? Contribute to the Community!