Capital One

3.1

120 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Manager, Operations Analysis Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Capital One.

Process took about two months, some of which was due to delays caused by my current responsibilities. I was an employee referral coming from a different industry. My recruiter was great - responsive, candid, and helpful.

Steps included:
    -Phone conversation with recruiter (basic stuff about what you do and why you're interested in the company)
    -Phone case interview (quantitative problem solving pertaining to business operations), after which I heard they wanted to invite me down to Richmond for interviews. Time to hear back was about 1.5 business days, via email.
    -An interview day with two in-person behavioral interviews ("tell me about a time when..." questions, which matched pretty well with the examples they give out to help you prepare) and three in-person case interviews (two before lunch and one after lunch, though not everyone interviewing was called back for that one). All interviewers were pleasant and professional - I actually had some pretty interesting conversations about the company culture with them once the cases or background questions were done. Lunch included a tour and was very relaxed. After this, it took about 3 business days to get a call letting me know they wanted to move forward.
    -Phone call with a hiring manager to learn more about the position, and the next day I had a verbal offer.

Behavioral interviews were nothing unusual - prepare good responses to standard questions and you'll do fine, especially if you've had management experience.

Case interviews shouldn't be that bad if you have a quantitative background. Algebra, weighted averages, graphing, percentages, break-even analyses. GMAT-type word problems, basically. The preparation advice they provided was right on target. No industry knowledge is required, but brushing up on the basics re: revenues and costs for credit cards would be a very good idea. Some basic awareness of how the economy is going is helpful (naturally).

Interview Questions
    • Example case interview conversation: "Here's a product - how profitable is this? How do you feel about that? Graph x vs. y - now what does that tell you? What could we do to mitigate that risk?"   View Answer
    Package was fair and was in line with what I had discussed with the recruiter during the very first phone call.

BA Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

2 cases and 1 behavior. There was a bank related case and regular case that was similar to the online resources provided by Capital One. Do a lot of practice. The behavior questions were not unexpected. Just be prepare examples of your activities that you can discuss in the depth.

Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in November 2014.

I submitted my resume at a career fair, and had a case interview over the phone about two weeks later. After the case interview I was contacted hours later (they said expect word back in 3-4 days, but they seem to be pretty efficient in this regard) to set up my flight for their power day.

Power day was pretty challenging. There were 7 other candidates there at the same time. We did two case interviews and one behavioral interview. One case was about the same difficulty as the phone interview, but the other case was advanced. Some people were asked to stay for an additional interview that was not initially scheduled.

Interview Questions
    • Business case about satellite radio provider and how to increase profits.   View Answer

Senior Data Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in February 2014.

Applied on their website, phone screened by recruiter with 5 easy math questions.

Then was invited for an on-site interview with 2 case interviews and 2 behavioral interviews.

Behavioral questions are(they are allowed to be taken out, and I had them written down on paper, so these questions are exact):
    tell me a time when
    1. you called on an expert for their expertise
    2. successfully avoided an obstacle to deliver a project on time
    3. learnt something new to accomplish a project
    4. had to turn a general goal to a realistic plan
    5. responsible for implementing a new project/process. better use an example that involved someone else
    6. had to take significant risk to sell an idea when others did not see the potential of the idea

Case questions are(the notes are not allowed to be taken out, but ok if by memory):
    1. Capital One is working with a department store on a credit card. Initial opening bonus paid to store, interest cost, annual fee etc. are given on a piece of paper. You'll need to calc the profit. And it's not profitable. So what's the BEP of opening bonus? What if we want to have a progressive opening bonus based on accounts opened? What's the curve of profit against accounts opened? Where's the highest point and how much?

2. You are CEO of a satellite TV company by the time when it's unpopular. What's the advantage and risk for this situation? Then you're given estimated revenue and cost(variable and fixed). Calc profitability. There are 2 ways to increase profit, 1 is to offer more free months and attract more customer, 1 is to reduce fixed cost but might reduce customer. Which is optimal? Where does the reduced customer and original proposal breakeven?

Then when they decided to give you an offer, you'll be arranged to be called by the director of the department you'll be assigned to.

Very much thank to the 998 Glassdoor interview reviews when I was preparing the interview. I've read 600+ of them, all about Analysts and even some of Tellers and Managers, Directors interviews. Get yourself familiar with the cases here, none of actual cases will be from what you read but they all give you a sense of what it would be like so that you won't panic, that you won't fail on junior high school maths and basic economic logic. Prepare behavior questions accordingly and actual questions will be very similar. And even if they are quite different, be flexible and use your examples accordingly, emphasize the characters asked in the actual question, NOT WHAT YOU PREPARED.

I read 600+ of the 1000 reviews here and I rated the interview to be easy. If you believe me and thought the interview will be easy, HAVE YOU DONE WHAT I'VE DONE?

Good luck! See you in Capital One!

Interview Questions
    • Prepare 6-7 situations for behavioral questions and be flexible if they questions is not asked in the way as you are prepared. Try to find the character they asked from your prepared examples. Cases are easy, if you make mistake and feel your answer is awkward, ask for help and modify your calc. I did make a mistake. It was a typo carried to next step's calc. And I found out and asked for help, and found out what's wrong with the formula I wrote.   View Answers (2)
    I did try to negotiate but frankly speaking, the salary is fair for the location I am placed. I had orally accepted the offer and is in process of signing and background check. If you want a life-time company, and/or a graduate company, here it goes.

Digital Learning Program Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One.

Recruiter called a week after online application. I was told I needed to take their online assessment before getting a behavior phone screen with the hiring manager. If that went well I would be invited for in-person interviews. None of that happened since I didn't even get past the assessment stage.

Senior Business Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in August 2014.

A recruiter reached out to me via LinkedIN and I had a screening call with him. He asked me to go over my resume and zeroed in on one experience I had with analyzing a large data set. I was scheduled for a Super Day the following week. The recruiter was extremely helpful and friendly- wish all recruiters could be this nice. I thought it was a bit strange that I bypassed the first round phone interview.

The Super Day itself was standard and other reviewers prepared me for what to expect. Each interviewee were assigned his/her own room and the interviewers come in. The first was a behavioral interview. While a 10-question list was sent in advance for preparation, I was not asked any of the questions on the list. The three questions I was asked were similar enough to those of the list that I wasn't caught off guard. The interviewer then probed further on certain points, taking notes on the company's standardized forms.

After that, I had two case interviews with an hour break between the two. The interviewers were both very nice- I didn't feel intimidated or stressed. While I had limited experience with case interviews, I didn't think the questions were difficult. They were both focused on credit cards, but didn't require industry knowledge (though some of it could make ideas flow faster). I tend to be a little slow and uncertain on the math which could have hurter me. I'm also not super organized on paper, which caused me to make some errors and definitely hurt me. The interviewers helped guide through the whole case and made sure the case came to a close, which was nice- a great way to learn and understand the case too. I once had a case interview I couldn't solve and the interviewer wouldn't reveal the answer, despite my genuine curiosity to learn.

Then came lunch- three employees came to take the group of interviewees for lunch. Everyone got a chance to speak to one of them at least once, but there was always one person attached to each analyst. Some interviewees just ended up talking among themselves. The cafeteria there is pretty awesome, and it's subsidized too. After lunch, we went on the tour of the building which was nice. Its a large campus with a super corporate feel.

After that, everyone went back to their rooms and the recruiter came to each one to reveal whether a third case interview was needed. While she insisted that being left out of the third case interview does not mean you will not get an offer, I think it kind of is a strong indicator. About half of the interviewee group was sent home.

I heard back the next day that I was rejected. I guess I shouldn't be surprised since the recruiter did mention several times that less than 30% of the interviewees go on to receive offers. The whole process from screening to rejection was about a week, so quite a fast process.

Interview Questions
    • Case was pretty standard. Both about profit maximization, so be sure to know how to calculate profit.   Answer Question

Product Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at Capital One in August 2014.

Typical recruiter phone screen then call with Hiring manager then brought in for interview with 5 people (5hrs) one of which was an informal lunch. The whole process took about 3 weeks. Got an offer for a different position and went with it because once in, I knew I could move around. Offer came within a day.
    Had to work with 3 recruiters because of vacation schedules which was a bit annoying.

Definitely study for the case interview. Review the paperwork your recruiter provides. There are a few really good prep videos on you tube.
    Behavioral interviews (3) were your typical 'tell me a time when...'. Be prepared to give answers that meet STAR guidelines.

Interview Questions
    • What would you have done differently knowing the outcome of a previous release plan and product earnings after each sprint?   Answer Question
    There's little room for negotiation because C1 has rankings and those bands are set base on the position ranking you're applying for.

Java Developer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Vienna, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Capital One in July 2014.

Java test -
    -----------------------------------------------------
    It was timed programming test.

Job Fit telephonic interview
    -----------------------------------------------
    Telephonic screening had most of the question from your resume.
    Was asked on Design patterns
    One-to-one and one-to-many relationship
    Web security- how its addressed etc
    Any Exp. in content management

Interview Questions
    • Most of the questions were based on present experience   Answer Question

Business Analysis Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in McLean, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Capital One in May 2014.

applied online and was contacted by recruiter within a week or so. BA interviews are conducted on pre-determined interview days so i was given a few days to select from.

day consisted of 3 interviews before lunch and a potential for a 4th interview if necessary.

the first case was about an internet service provider. i was given info on revenue / costumer and fixed & variable cost details and asked to calculate the value of a customer. the case facilitator was helpful as we discussed the case and was actively engaged. next question was to determine, qualitatively, how to increase customer value. another piece of information was given and i had to recalculate customer value. i was then asked to graph price / profit curve. overall, not to difficult but a ton of details to keep in mind when working through the problems. make sure to ask questions throughout to ensure you have all the relevant info or if you're stuck.

second case centered around a life insurance company. asked to calculate break even point for a set of customers given annual mortality rates. then facilitator drew some graphs on the whiteboard and asked to complete the rest of the profit curve. that was it...much shorter / simpler case than the one before. two folks came to give me the case. the main interviewer was actually supposed to be shadowing for training purposes as i was told that would be the case at the beginning of the day, but she ended leading the entire conversation. unlike the first interview, i got no feedback on my answers, just a few one word answers and head nods.

final interview of the day was your typical behavioral interview:
    - name a time you learned something new
    - tell me about a time you had a conflict with an individual / team
    - etc...

Interview Questions
    • no really difficult questions. as mentioned above, just be sure to ask questions throughout the cases to ensure you got all you need to work though the case. some of the asks could be subtle and tricky.   Answer Question

Bank Teller Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Washington, DC

I applied online – interviewed at Capital One in April 2014.

Number of interviews=3
    First interview in phone with recruiter.
    Second interview with two bank managers.
    Third interview with another bank manager.
    Then you have on boarding where you are introduced to all the capital one philosophy and ideas. CapitalOne history and accomplishments are emphasized. It is actually a lot of fun. I had to go to their headquarters in Maclean Virginia.
    This was followed by almost a month of training and mentor ship at different bank branches.

Interview Questions
    • Explain a situation where you have to explain a complex concept to a customer.   Answer Question
    • What does customer service mean to you.   Answer Question
    • Explain a time when you have to deal with an angry customer.what happened? What did you do? And what was the customers reaction?   Answer Question
    No negotiation