CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 23, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at CarMax (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

Applied online got a call a week later and had a short phone interview. They said they really enjoyed speaking with me over the phone and that they would have a manger call me to schedule a face to face interview. I got a call from the manager a couple hours later to come in for a face to face. My interview was at 1:30 and then they call me around 11 saying that they needed to push it back to 3. So I get there at 3 and wait awhile for someone to see me, they set me up on a computer asking questions basically if im a drug addict or criminal. After that i wait awhile longer waiting for someone to see me. I finally get to a manager to interview me, he asks me 4 questions off of a piece of paper and doesnt look at me during the interview at all and gives me the "you should hear something by next week" phrase and basically rushes me out the door and doesnt even walk me out. At the point i knew I didnt get the job but if they had called me i would of said "thanks, no thanks" I would never work for a company that handles interviews that matter. They likely hired someone earlier that they interviewed and even made me go through the trouble of rescheduling my interview.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Start off by answering a few questions, then you get to start the interview. It's a very long process, 3 interviews in one day. I honestly don't understand why there are so many, especially for the position and the pay. It's not like I interviewed for a management position.

Anonymous Employee in Davie, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at CarMax (Davie, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

First they take you to a computer to answer about 10 questions based about your background. Have you been incarcerated, felon, etc. Simple. After, you then wait a little more and then one of the managers walks you to an interview room. I was interviewed by the Manager and Assistant Manager. Before the actual interview starts you have to sign a series of forms and paperwork. While your signing, they explain what each one means to speed up the process. Then you go over your job description. Then FINALLY we started the actual interview. First part of the interview was general questions. Pretty much questions about yourself. The second half of the interview were all situational questions. All in all, the interview lasted about 20 minutes and the whole process lasted only a little over an hour.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. Name a time where you had to multi-task. Name a time where you had use leadership skills. Name a time where you had to meet a work goal in a short period of time. Name a time where you needed to improve your skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received a call the next day from the recruiter scheduling a Face to Face interview for Friday at 3PM. When i got there i was prompted to sit at a computer and fill out a questionnaire asking: have you since your 18th birthday committed a sexual offense, done any illegal drug, committed murder etc; After that i had an interview with the Business Office Manager that went really well, and he was really nice, he gave a detailed description of what i would be doing and had me sign paper work agreeing, allowing them to run my credit, and background check etc; i was extended an offer at this point. All in all, DONT waste your time! They only pay $10.00 for FULL-TIME position(keep in mind i am located in Miami which is amongst one of the highest cost of living states)

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Carmax? Name a situation where you had to over come customer objection? Name a Time where you asked another associate who WASNT management for help and why?   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in April 2015.

Interview

Applied on a Monday called for an phone interview Friday, in person interview the following Monday. When I first walked in they put me at a computer to answer very general question about criminal history. After that I met with the assistant manager, then sales manager, then the head manager of the business office.

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Interview process is long and can take a few hours if you are doing well in the interviews. Questionnaire in the beginning is typical for large corporations. Apply online this is the twentieth century! Basic questions for interviews just answer them and don't try to fake an answer and be genuine.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Norfolk, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was long you have to do the basic computer questions are you a murder and such I answered some of the questions yes (Do you know someone who is using drugs) and what did you do about it.Then I had an interview with one of the sales mangers and he asked basic what would you do questions (I would have lots of situations in which you shine for this interview) Then the final interview where there was two people.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to provide costumer service to an upset costumer? What did you do and how did they respond.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charlotte, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax (Charlotte, NC) in February 2015.

Interview

The interview was a long process. I had five rounds one was with a computer to ensure I was not a rapist, murder, or drug dealer. The questions are through. All questions were read off of the paper. All of my interviews were kind, personable, and seemed to really enjoy their jobs.

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

Interview

Application experience was similar to other postings except when I was initially contacted, there was no phone interview, so there was no opportunity for me or CarMax to determine if there was a good fit. I was invited to an in-person interview. The first question asked of me was to provide my social security number. I found that to be extraordinary in this day and age of hacking into company's databases and identity theft to provide a private detail like that before we had even decided if it was worth moving forward in the process. I inquired as to what happens with my data if there's no job offer, and the HR person wasn't sure. I then filled out a questionnaire about whether I've raped or murdered anyone, done drugs, stolen items from an employer, etc., etc. I found these questions to set an extremely negative tone and created a feeling of "we know we're hiring scumbags; we just need to know how big a scumbag you are." The next step was to sign authorizations and waivers that provided broad sweeping powers to CarMax, e.g. an authorization to pull my credit report (now and at any time in the future as decided by CarMax!). I understand CarMax's need for this information, but feel strongly it should come later in the process. While I waited for my next step, I observed an interview at an adjacent desk. The interviewer read scripted questions and did not seem to pay any attention to the answers provided by the candidate; he appeared to be scanning his paper to choose the next scripted question he would ask. I excused myself from moving forward in the process at this point. I got the impression that CarMax views the interviewing process as a one-way determination - solely whether they like you rather than whether you will enjoy working for them.

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I applied for the position, got a call from hr within a week to setup a phone interview. Had my phone interview. Got a call back about a week or so to set up an in person interview. Arrived at my in person interview where I met with the Hr lady I spoke with over the phone. She immediately set me up on the computer to go over questions like "are you a criminal" in diff ways as well as past employment questions. After you pass that you fill out paperwork. The paperwork is for background checks. I then had a manager from the buyer side come talk to me and ask me generated questions that came from my computer questions. Then the asst manager and lead business office associate came in and tagged teamed me. Finally the manager over the business office came in and interviewed me.I was offered the job on the spot

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not really negotiable, standard pay for everyone then an increase after training