CarMax

Getting the Interview

27 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Office Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted one week after submitting online application. Initial contact was friendly and brief - the woman I spoke with set up a next-day phone interview with me. After completing the phone interview, I was told that I would be contacted within a week if they wanted to continue on with the process. I was contacted by the same woman two days later and asked to come in for an in-store interview (scheduled for after the weekend). The in-store interview was about 2 hours, half of which was spent waiting for interviewers. It started with a brief online interview questionnaire asking simple questions about my work/life history (drug use, jobs omitted on application, history of theft?). I was interviewed, first, by a gentleman from a different department (standard interview questions, What do you know about CarMax? along with incident questions). I was then interviewed by a couple of managers (many of the same questions) and told they would be in contact with me within the next couple of weeks. I was contacted the next day and scheduled to come back in for a follow-up interview (scheduled for next week). All staff members I encountered were friendly and hospitable.

Interview Question – No unexpected, difficult questions. However, when being asked "incident questions", like 'Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision in a quick manner...', they are looking for specific answers, nothing generalized.   Answer Question

Greenville, SC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – First I had my phone interview, which were pretty basic questions. Asking a lot abut your past work experience. After my phone interview they wanted to schedule a face to face interview. When you get there, they make you sit in this office on a computer and answering questions online asking if you have ever done drugs, have you stolen anything, etc. That takes about 10-15 minutes. After that, someone will interview you, and be prepared for a lot of questions. There were a lot of questions like "Tell me about a time where..." After my first interview they told me they want a second interview with a different person. So about 10 minutes later I was interviewed again by the guy who did my phone interview. Again, asking more questions about situations that you have been in, how did you solve this problem, tell me about a time where you did this...etc. After that interview I was pretty much offered the job right there and then! Starting pay is $10 an hour.

Interview Question – A lot of questions starting off as "Tell me about a time when..."   Answer Question

Business Office Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – Call back next day for a phone interview

Reason for Declining – Not enough money

Business Office Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – pretty easy, simple interview like most jobs. you'll be interviewed by 2-3 managers and hired if you pass.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation , part time starts at $10 which was pretty good at the time. considering i was coming from Gap making 8.25

Irvine, CA

I applied online and interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Nice office and friendly staff

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult   Answer Question

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Application filled out in-store, I came appropriately dressed in slacks and a nice blouse. They reviewed my application and called me in for an interview about 2 days later.

Interview Question – The interview process consists of at least three managers from different departments, ending with the manager from the office for which you're applying.
Typical questions include: "Tell me about a time when you had to work as a team to accomplish a goal." and "How would you persuade a team member to act on your idea."
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The starting salary is $10 for a business office associate. after you complete 4 certifications (you'll receive a .25 raise for each certification) you will be at $11/HR. Leads get a $1 raise on top of that. I achieved this promotion around a year into my employment at CarMax.

Tinley Park, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview with basic questions: your greatest strength/weakness; your availability to work evenings and weekends; brief work history. In person interview scheduled...step one is an online assessment; step two was an interview with Asst. Office Mgr (with Lead Bus Assoc observing); step three was interview with Office Mgr. Step four tour of area.

Interview Question – Your most frustrating or difficult experience in which you had to interact with a customer   Answer Question

King of Prussia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at CarMax in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview first in response to my application. Very nice interview normal questions detailed work history review I would suggest to have a resume. In person interview normal online questions then in person interview scenario questions what would you do. finally said they loved me wanted me to work for me but the position I applied for was filled. I was very turned off by this because I had drove over an hour for the interview. They offered me a sales associate position and I declined because that is what I currently am doing. The business office associate is also very entry level pay of only 11-12 dollars an hour. the sales position is a joke you are basically a cashier because of the process they have for selling cars.

King of Prussia, PA

I applied online - interviewed at CarMax in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied 10.13.13 had a phone interview 10.31.13. Recruiter was very nice, after interview we set up an in person interview for the next business day. The interview was a little late for my liking, I'm not used to interviewing in the evening. I got there did an online assessment and filled out some paper work. Please understand that they do a THOROUGH background check of your past employers up to 10 years back. Thats fine for someone who's in their 30's and has had experience but being a student all of my life and only having part time jobs that I cared nothing about should not count! They asked a bunch of questions about shoplifting and drug use. Once that was completed, I had an interview with someone who asked the same questions I just answered on the computer, then I had another interview with the same person who did my phone interview. So I felt a little comfortable. She basically asked the exact same questions that I answered over the phone. There weren't really any technical or unexpected questions.

Interview Questions

Sterling, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online 3 days later I received a call for a phone interview 4 days later. Phone interview took 15 minutes. She asked 5 general interview questions like what would you do in this situation. Describe an obstacle / task with a team you overcame and a plan of action. Etc. after that got asked for a person interview a couple days later. I showed up on time waited an hour before getting seen. Then got asked to fill out an online background check questionnaire that took 15 minutes. This background check will ask you every job you have ever held and if you left any out on your résumé. If you stole anything and or use drugs. Mainly asking if you stole and do drugs. After that was completed waited another 10 minutes got seen by a manager not in my line of work and got asked the same exact questions on the back ground check and the SAME question on the phone interview.
Then was told they will let me know an answer for a follow up interview in 72 hrs. Reviewed an email 2 days later stating my background check came out clean but didn't get the job. Unfortunately I believe this is a bad way to choose someone to work for you based on background check the and the same exact questions being asked repetivily. I'm ex military and hold a clearance. No hard feelings. Interviewers were really friendly and polite and easy to talk to.

Interviews for Top Jobs at CarMax

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!

CarMax Videos

CarMax – Why Work for Us?

A better way to buy used cars We always knew there had to be a better way to buy used cars. One that would make the process easy and fun. So we created CarMax, and we've been changing the way America buys cars since we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CarMax Business Office Associate interview questions and advice. All 27 interview reviews posted anonymously by CarMax employees and interview candidates.