CarMax

Average Difficulty
31 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details – I Had 3 different interview with 3 different department managers each of those went well. They asked typical questions some are so redundant or the previous interviewer already asked. They seemed very scripted with the questions and they have to read everything verbatim.

Reason for Declining – The pay was not enough.

Roseville, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview first and then was invited in to the store. Interviewed by 4 people the same day all managers. Very thorough. Asked many questions about past work experience. Whole interview took about 3.5 hours. Was asked to do a drug test and offered a position on the spot.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you were faced with a difficult time constraint and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Charleston, SC

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – I originally applied for a Buyer's Assistant position. I had phone interview with a manager who asked me to come in for a face to face interview the next day. Once you arrive, you sit in a room by yourself and answer questions on a computer such as, "have you ever murdered someone." (If you've murdered someone, I hope you're in prison and not interviewing for a job at Carmax). I interviewed with the same manager from the phone interview for about an hour and then he brought in his manager. All in all, I was there for about 2 hours that day. The next day, I got a call back and they said I was basically overqualified and they wanted me to come back in for another interview for the Business Office Associate position. I figured, better position, better pay. Wrong. I was shocked that they offered me $10/hr after my FOURTH interview. I took the drug test and tentatively accepted the position. Once I got home, I realized that $10 isn't even worth me getting out of bed in the morning so I called back and declined. $10/hr is not acceptable to offer someone with a bachelor's degree as far as I'm concerned. On the plus side, everyone I met at Carmax was very nice and I really think it would have been a fun place to work otherwise.

Interview Question – All behavioral questions. Tell me about a time when...   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Pay was not appropriate for my education and background

Fort Worth, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details – 3 interviews over 4 hours. Very friendly and comfortable interviews.Interviewers were able to discuss their personal experience with Carmax.The first interviewer also discussed other positions that I might be interested in that I hadn't considered.

Interview Question – Questions were pretty basic and expected for example on question was - can you remember a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Compensation was low.

Business Office Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted one week after submitting online application. Initial contact was friendly and brief - the woman I spoke with set up a next-day phone interview with me. After completing the phone interview, I was told that I would be contacted within a week if they wanted to continue on with the process. I was contacted by the same woman two days later and asked to come in for an in-store interview (scheduled for after the weekend). The in-store interview was about 2 hours, half of which was spent waiting for interviewers. It started with a brief online interview questionnaire asking simple questions about my work/life history (drug use, jobs omitted on application, history of theft?). I was interviewed, first, by a gentleman from a different department (standard interview questions, What do you know about CarMax? along with incident questions). I was then interviewed by a couple of managers (many of the same questions) and told they would be in contact with me within the next couple of weeks. I was contacted the next day and scheduled to come back in for a follow-up interview (scheduled for next week). All staff members I encountered were friendly and hospitable.

Interview Question – No unexpected, difficult questions. However, when being asked "incident questions", like 'Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision in a quick manner...', they are looking for specific answers, nothing generalized.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – Call back next day for a phone interview

Reason for Declining – Not enough money

Greenville, SC

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – First I had my phone interview, which were pretty basic questions. Asking a lot abut your past work experience. After my phone interview they wanted to schedule a face to face interview. When you get there, they make you sit in this office on a computer and answering questions online asking if you have ever done drugs, have you stolen anything, etc. That takes about 10-15 minutes. After that, someone will interview you, and be prepared for a lot of questions. There were a lot of questions like "Tell me about a time where..." After my first interview they told me they want a second interview with a different person. So about 10 minutes later I was interviewed again by the guy who did my phone interview. Again, asking more questions about situations that you have been in, how did you solve this problem, tell me about a time where you did this...etc. After that interview I was pretty much offered the job right there and then! Starting pay is $10 an hour.

Interview Question – A lot of questions starting off as "Tell me about a time when..."   Answer Question

Business Office Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – pretty easy, simple interview like most jobs. you'll be interviewed by 2-3 managers and hired if you pass.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation , part time starts at $10 which was pretty good at the time. considering i was coming from Gap making 8.25

Irvine, CA

I applied online and interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Nice office and friendly staff

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult   Answer Question

Tinley Park, IL

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in January 2014.

Interview Details – Phone interview with basic questions: your greatest strength/weakness; your availability to work evenings and weekends; brief work history. In person interview scheduled...step one is an online assessment; step two was an interview with Asst. Office Mgr (with Lead Bus Assoc observing); step three was interview with Office Mgr. Step four tour of area.

Interview Question – Your most frustrating or difficult experience in which you had to interact with a customer   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at CarMax

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CarMax Business Office Associate interview questions and advice. All 31 interview reviews posted anonymously by CarMax employees and interview candidates.