CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2014

2.9

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Office Associate Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in January 2010.

Interviewing process was intense but well worth it. I know that they really stick by the whole "we don't hire people that don't fit the CarMax attitude." Which is a good thing in my book I may add.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time and or place where you had to make a crucial decision on a moments notice   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in January 2013.

I initially applied online for the position and was contacted by phone within a week. My first interview was a short phone interview (about 20 minutes) and consisted of typical interview questions - why do you want the job, where did you hear about the position, what are your qualifications. The woman I spoke with on the phone was very friendly and at the end of the interview she set up a time for me to come in for an in-person interview, which was 2 days after the phone interview. The in-person interview was betwee 2.5 and 3 hours, even though most of that time was spent in the waiting area for the next interviewer. I first completed an online interview (have you ever stolen/done drugs etc.) and then spoke with one man. After that, I spoke with another woman, then there was a short panel interview with the woman and one other girl (very short and informal), and then I took a short test where I compared VIN numbers and circled if they were the same or different. After, I waited again and was offered the job on the spot and I took a drug test. Everyone was very friendly and kind. A positive interview experience. Also, a tip. Do not lie to them because they do a very thorough background check.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Just an hourly pay rate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Henderson, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

The process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in October 2011.

Just had my extensive interview process today , was wondering if they make an offer/drug test right away , or if that is another process in itself? I was told I would know within 10 days their decision? If anyone knows please give me feed back !!! it would be appreciated

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to go above and beyond to help a coworker or customer ..   Answer Question
    • do you drugs?(50 different ways )   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in January 2012.

I had my first interview with CarMax yesterday for a Business Office Associate position that had opened up. This was a group interview, only about 7 people showed up and 3 of them were interviewing for the same position as I was. Everyone was VERY kind. Once everyone had arrived we introduced ourselves after hearing about each of the managers of the departments. After introductions and a short video talking about the benefits of working at CarMax and what CarMax values we got a tour of the whole facility. I didn't realize it was so big! Once we got back we were set up at a computer so that we could take the "Online Interview" which asked things such as "Do you do any type of drugs?" if so, "How often?" etc and other questions about shoplifting, seeing someone else shoplifting, taking money or items from a past employer. It was very easy and you do have to be honest because they do background checks, past employer checks and reference checks. Once completed we went back out to the waiting room and the three department managers split us up and interviewed us. I interviewed first with a young man named Sean, the interview was easy because he asked me questions and would share a story if he could relate. Made me very comfortable. No hard questions either just lots of examples from previous jobs. My second interview was with a woman who I assumed would be my manager if hired. She was so nice! She asked about my jobs and we had a nice conversation about a couple of them. Super nice. After she had asked me some more behavioral questions. She thanked me and told me that someone would give me a call if the manager selected me and a would receive a letter if they did not. Seems promising. Haven't heard back yet but I will be sending a thank you letter regardless, very effective and challenging interview process!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty and helped a co-worker.   View Answer
    • Describe a time when...   View Answer

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Was contacted one week after submitting online application. Initial contact was friendly and brief - the woman I spoke with set up a next-day phone interview with me. After completing the phone interview, I was told that I would be contacted within a week if they wanted to continue on with the process. I was contacted by the same woman two days later and asked to come in for an in-store interview (scheduled for after the weekend). The in-store interview was about 2 hours, half of which was spent waiting for interviewers. It started with a brief online interview questionnaire asking simple questions about my work/life history (drug use, jobs omitted on application, history of theft?). I was interviewed, first, by a gentleman from a different department (standard interview questions, What do you know about CarMax? along with incident questions). I was then interviewed by a couple of managers (many of the same questions) and told they would be in contact with me within the next couple of weeks. I was contacted the next day and scheduled to come back in for a follow-up interview (scheduled for next week). All staff members I encountered were friendly and hospitable.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected, difficult questions. However, when being asked "incident questions", like 'Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision in a quick manner...', they are looking for specific answers, nothing generalized.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Had a phone interview first and then was invited in to the store. Interviewed by 4 people the same day all managers. Very thorough. Asked many questions about past work experience. Whole interview took about 3.5 hours. Was asked to do a drug test and offered a position on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when you were faced with a difficult time constraint and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in October 2013.

I went through about 5 interview processes. The first one was at the store and done online. The second one was with the hr lady. The third one was with the manager of my specific department. The fourth one was with another manager of a completely different department. Finally, the last interview was with another supervisor in the same exact department that I would be working in. I would say all interviews were intense because they were not scripted and was mostly about the person being interviewed. If you go in interested and with lots of questions (I do mean alot, stupid or not) you have a great chance of moving on. They are looking for a family oriented, friendly, happy, focused and competitive type of individual and they really love hearing what you have to say. So, the more you talk, the more they listen, the bigger the chance there is for you being selected.

N/a

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax.

I originally applied for a Buyer's Assistant position. I had phone interview with a manager who asked me to come in for a face to face interview the next day. Once you arrive, you sit in a room by yourself and answer questions on a computer such as, "have you ever murdered someone." (If you've murdered someone, I hope you're in prison and not interviewing for a job at Carmax). I interviewed with the same manager from the phone interview for about an hour and then he brought in his manager. All in all, I was there for about 2 hours that day. The next day, I got a call back and they said I was basically overqualified and they wanted me to come back in for another interview for the Business Office Associate position. I figured, better position, better pay. Wrong. I was shocked that they offered me $10/hr after my FOURTH interview. I took the drug test and tentatively accepted the position. Once I got home, I realized that $10 isn't even worth me getting out of bed in the morning so I called back and declined. $10/hr is not acceptable to offer someone with a bachelor's degree as far as I'm concerned. On the plus side, everyone I met at Carmax was very nice and I really think it would have been a fun place to work otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral questions. Tell me about a time when...   Answer Question

Pay was not appropriate for my education and background

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

I Had 3 different interview with 3 different department managers each of those went well. They asked typical questions some are so redundant or the previous interviewer already asked. They seemed very scripted with the questions and they have to read everything verbatim.

The pay was not enough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in August 2014.

I filled out the application online and a week or so later they called me to schedule phone interview. I felt that the phone interview went very well (mostly behavioral questions) because they immediately wanted to schedule an in person interview a few days later. When I arrived I was instructed to fill out info on a computer for background checks and answer a few screening questions (criminal history, employment history, etc). After that I waited for the managers interviewing me.

Once they were ready we introduced ourselves and went into an office for the interview. I was surprised at how young they both were and the lead interviewer was one of those people who's so completely dedicated to the company that it's a bit frightening. Anyways they ask more behavioral questions and overall I felt that I answered them just as well as I had on the previous interview. When we were done they said they had to step out for a minute and would be back. They returned a few minutes later to say that they had a more interviews taking place throughout the week but that I should expect to hear from the recruiter after that. The next morning I received an e-mail stating that I didn't get the job.

I really can't figure out where I went wrong. I have many years of customer service experience, offered firm handshakes, dressed professionally, was friendly to everyone in the store while I was waiting, basically everything that you're supposed to do. Clearly they couldn't have had the time to interview more people between my interview and the email. I really wish I knew the reason.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when had to make a quick decision?"   Answer Question

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!