CarMax

Updated Jun 17, 2014

Average Difficulty
32 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions

Business Office Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in January 2013.

Interview Details – I initially applied online for the position and was contacted by phone within a week. My first interview was a short phone interview (about 20 minutes) and consisted of typical interview questions - why do you want the job, where did you hear about the position, what are your qualifications. The woman I spoke with on the phone was very friendly and at the end of the interview she set up a time for me to come in for an in-person interview, which was 2 days after the phone interview. The in-person interview was betwee 2.5 and 3 hours, even though most of that time was spent in the waiting area for the next interviewer. I first completed an online interview (have you ever stolen/done drugs etc.) and then spoke with one man. After that, I spoke with another woman, then there was a short panel interview with the woman and one other girl (very short and informal), and then I took a short test where I compared VIN numbers and circled if they were the same or different. After, I waited again and was offered the job on the spot and I took a drug test. Everyone was very friendly and kind. A positive interview experience. Also, a tip. Do not lie to them because they do a very thorough background check.

Interview Question – Fairly typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Just an hourly pay rate.

Roseville, CA

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details – Had a phone interview first and then was invited in to the store. Interviewed by 4 people the same day all managers. Very thorough. Asked many questions about past work experience. Whole interview took about 3.5 hours. Was asked to do a drug test and offered a position on the spot.

Interview Question – Give me a time when you were faced with a difficult time constraint and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Roseville, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in January 2012.

Interview Details – I had my first interview with CarMax yesterday for a Business Office Associate position that had opened up. This was a group interview, only about 7 people showed up and 3 of them were interviewing for the same position as I was. Everyone was VERY kind. Once everyone had arrived we introduced ourselves after hearing about each of the managers of the departments. After introductions and a short video talking about the benefits of working at CarMax and what CarMax values we got a tour of the whole facility. I didn't realize it was so big! Once we got back we were set up at a computer so that we could take the "Online Interview" which asked things such as "Do you do any type of drugs?" if so, "How often?" etc and other questions about shoplifting, seeing someone else shoplifting, taking money or items from a past employer. It was very easy and you do have to be honest because they do background checks, past employer checks and reference checks. Once completed we went back out to the waiting room and the three department managers split us up and interviewed us. I interviewed first with a young man named Sean, the interview was easy because he asked me questions and would share a story if he could relate. Made me very comfortable. No hard questions either just lots of examples from previous jobs. My second interview was with a woman who I assumed would be my manager if hired. She was so nice! She asked about my jobs and we had a nice conversation about a couple of them. Super nice. After she had asked me some more behavioral questions. She thanked me and told me that someone would give me a call if the manager selected me and a would receive a letter if they did not. Seems promising. Haven't heard back yet but I will be sending a thank you letter regardless, very effective and challenging interview process!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty and helped a co-worker.   View Answer
  • Describe a time when...   View Answer

Business Office Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted one week after submitting online application. Initial contact was friendly and brief - the woman I spoke with set up a next-day phone interview with me. After completing the phone interview, I was told that I would be contacted within a week if they wanted to continue on with the process. I was contacted by the same woman two days later and asked to come in for an in-store interview (scheduled for after the weekend). The in-store interview was about 2 hours, half of which was spent waiting for interviewers. It started with a brief online interview questionnaire asking simple questions about my work/life history (drug use, jobs omitted on application, history of theft?). I was interviewed, first, by a gentleman from a different department (standard interview questions, What do you know about CarMax? along with incident questions). I was then interviewed by a couple of managers (many of the same questions) and told they would be in contact with me within the next couple of weeks. I was contacted the next day and scheduled to come back in for a follow-up interview (scheduled for next week). All staff members I encountered were friendly and hospitable.

Interview Question – No unexpected, difficult questions. However, when being asked "incident questions", like 'Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision in a quick manner...', they are looking for specific answers, nothing generalized.   Answer Question

Greenville, SC

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in October 2013.

Interview Details – I went through about 5 interview processes. The first one was at the store and done online. The second one was with the hr lady. The third one was with the manager of my specific department. The fourth one was with another manager of a completely different department. Finally, the last interview was with another supervisor in the same exact department that I would be working in. I would say all interviews were intense because they were not scripted and was mostly about the person being interviewed. If you go in interested and with lots of questions (I do mean alot, stupid or not) you have a great chance of moving on. They are looking for a family oriented, friendly, happy, focused and competitive type of individual and they really love hearing what you have to say. So, the more you talk, the more they listen, the bigger the chance there is for you being selected.

Interview Question – Why would you be a good fit here at Carmax?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – N/a

Business Office Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewing process was intense but well worth it. I know that they really stick by the whole "we don't hire people that don't fit the CarMax attitude." Which is a good thing in my book I may add.

Interview Question – Name a time and or place where you had to make a crucial decision on a moments notice   Answer Question

Henderson, NV

The process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in October 2011.

Interview Details – Just had my extensive interview process today , was wondering if they make an offer/drug test right away , or if that is another process in itself? I was told I would know within 10 days their decision? If anyone knows please give me feed back !!! it would be appreciated

Interview Questions

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Application filled out in-store, I came appropriately dressed in slacks and a nice blouse. They reviewed my application and called me in for an interview about 2 days later.

Interview Question – The interview process consists of at least three managers from different departments, ending with the manager from the office for which you're applying.
Typical questions include: "Tell me about a time when you had to work as a team to accomplish a goal." and "How would you persuade a team member to act on your idea."
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The starting salary is $10 for a business office associate. after you complete 4 certifications (you'll receive a .25 raise for each certification) you will be at $11/HR. Leads get a $1 raise on top of that. I achieved this promotion around a year into my employment at CarMax.

Irvine, CA

I applied online and interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Nice office and friendly staff

Interview Question – The questions were not difficult   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details – I Had 3 different interview with 3 different department managers each of those went well. They asked typical questions some are so redundant or the previous interviewer already asked. They seemed very scripted with the questions and they have to read everything verbatim.

Reason for Declining – The pay was not enough.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!