CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.9

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax in January 2010.

Interview

Interviewing process was intense but well worth it. I know that they really stick by the whole "we don't hire people that don't fit the CarMax attitude." Which is a good thing in my book I may add.

Interview Questions

• Name a time and or place where you had to make a crucial decision on a moments notice   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Employee in Henderson, NV

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Henderson, NV) in October 2011.

Interview

Just had my extensive interview process today , was wondering if they make an offer/drug test right away , or if that is another process in itself? I was told I would know within 10 days their decision? If anyone knows please give me feed back !!! it would be appreciated

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to go above and beyond to help a coworker or customer ..   Answer Question
    • do you drugs?(50 different ways )   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Roseville, CA) in January 2012.

Interview

I had my first interview with CarMax yesterday for a Business Office Associate position that had opened up. This was a group interview, only about 7 people showed up and 3 of them were interviewing for the same position as I was. Everyone was VERY kind. Once everyone had arrived we introduced ourselves after hearing about each of the managers of the departments. After introductions and a short video talking about the benefits of working at CarMax and what CarMax values we got a tour of the whole facility. I didn't realize it was so big! Once we got back we were set up at a computer so that we could take the "Online Interview" which asked things such as "Do you do any type of drugs?" if so, "How often?" etc and other questions about shoplifting, seeing someone else shoplifting, taking money or items from a past employer. It was very easy and you do have to be honest because they do background checks, past employer checks and reference checks. Once completed we went back out to the waiting room and the three department managers split us up and interviewed us. I interviewed first with a young man named Sean, the interview was easy because he asked me questions and would share a story if he could relate. Made me very comfortable. No hard questions either just lots of examples from previous jobs. My second interview was with a woman who I assumed would be my manager if hired. She was so nice! She asked about my jobs and we had a nice conversation about a couple of them. Super nice. After she had asked me some more behavioral questions. She thanked me and told me that someone would give me a call if the manager selected me and a would receive a letter if they did not. Seems promising. Haven't heard back yet but I will be sending a thank you letter regardless, very effective and challenging interview process!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty and helped a co-worker.   1 Answer
    • Describe a time when...   1 Answer

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in January 2013.

Interview

I initially applied online for the position and was contacted by phone within a week. My first interview was a short phone interview (about 20 minutes) and consisted of typical interview questions - why do you want the job, where did you hear about the position, what are your qualifications. The woman I spoke with on the phone was very friendly and at the end of the interview she set up a time for me to come in for an in-person interview, which was 2 days after the phone interview. The in-person interview was betwee 2.5 and 3 hours, even though most of that time was spent in the waiting area for the next interviewer. I first completed an online interview (have you ever stolen/done drugs etc.) and then spoke with one man. After that, I spoke with another woman, then there was a short panel interview with the woman and one other girl (very short and informal), and then I took a short test where I compared VIN numbers and circled if they were the same or different. After, I waited again and was offered the job on the spot and I took a drug test. Everyone was very friendly and kind. A positive interview experience. Also, a tip. Do not lie to them because they do a very thorough background check.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. Just an hourly pay rate.

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview

Was contacted one week after submitting online application. Initial contact was friendly and brief - the woman I spoke with set up a next-day phone interview with me. After completing the phone interview, I was told that I would be contacted within a week if they wanted to continue on with the process. I was contacted by the same woman two days later and asked to come in for an in-store interview (scheduled for after the weekend). The in-store interview was about 2 hours, half of which was spent waiting for interviewers. It started with a brief online interview questionnaire asking simple questions about my work/life history (drug use, jobs omitted on application, history of theft?). I was interviewed, first, by a gentleman from a different department (standard interview questions, What do you know about CarMax? along with incident questions). I was then interviewed by a couple of managers (many of the same questions) and told they would be in contact with me within the next couple of weeks. I was contacted the next day and scheduled to come back in for a follow-up interview (scheduled for next week). All staff members I encountered were friendly and hospitable.

Interview Questions

• No unexpected, difficult questions. However, when being asked "incident questions", like 'Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision in a quick manner...', they are looking for specific answers, nothing generalized.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The actual process went pretty smooth. I applied back in October not expecting to hear anything back because of previous experience applying with them. Randomly I recieved a phone call from the manager assistant asking me if I was still interested and was wondering if I would want to set up a phone interview for the next day. I then had my phone I interview and when I passed that I had an in store interview. When I first arrived I had to fill out some paperwork and do an online assessment. This assessment asked me questions about crimes which not. I did this with the same person that set up my phone interview. After waiting for about 15 minutes I intervied with a manger and was asked a series of behavioral questions and typical why do you want to work here questions. Then I was interviewed by another manager in the same department and was asked another series of behavioral questions. Then the two managers went and talked for about 15 minutes and then I was offered the job. It was very nice the whole entire process but it did take longer than normal interviews so just be prepared.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate the pay seemed fair for the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Greenville, SC) in October 2013.

Interview

I went through about 5 interview processes. The first one was at the store and done online. The second one was with the hr lady. The third one was with the manager of my specific department. The fourth one was with another manager of a completely different department. Finally, the last interview was with another supervisor in the same exact department that I would be working in. I would say all interviews were intense because they were not scripted and was mostly about the person being interviewed. If you go in interested and with lots of questions (I do mean alot, stupid or not) you have a great chance of moving on. They are looking for a family oriented, friendly, happy, focused and competitive type of individual and they really love hearing what you have to say. So, the more you talk, the more they listen, the bigger the chance there is for you being selected.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

N/a

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Roseville, CA) in May 2014.

Interview

Had a phone interview first and then was invited in to the store. Interviewed by 4 people the same day all managers. Very thorough. Asked many questions about past work experience. Whole interview took about 3.5 hours. Was asked to do a drug test and offered a position on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Give me a time when you were faced with a difficult time constraint and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Fredericksburg, VA) in May 2011.

Interview

It's a lengthy process. After you submit an app it can take a few weeks to a month to get a phone call. You do a phone interview asking your basic info and a few scenario type questions. If you get past that they schedule you to come in. Then there's a questionnaire in store about previous experiences (been fired, used drugs, etc). After that you go into an interview with 1 or 2 managers (tell me about a time when...). If that one goes well there is a final interview that is similar to the last. If they don't offer at that time then you probably haven't got the job. You have to provide specific examples and not generalizations for your answers.

Interview Questions

• simetomes the rules aren't spelled out in black and white. Tell me about a time when you weren't sure if something you were doing was against the rules? What did you do?   1 Answer

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Interview process is long and can take a few hours if you are doing well in the interviews. Questionnaire in the beginning is typical for large corporations. Apply online this is the twentieth century! Basic questions for interviews just answer them and don't try to fake an answer and be genuine.