CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 8, 2014

2.9

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Office Associate Interview

I was initially interviewed on the phone by the human resources generalist. This was fairly straightforward. Next, I went through two face to face interviews. The questions were typical behavioral interview questions. Describe a situation in which you dealt with a difficult customer, etc.

Interview Questions
  • Though some of the questions were difficult to answer because it is difficult to think of scenarios to demonstrate the qualities they were looking for, none of them were particularly unexpected. If you're worried about the interview, simply study behavioral interview questions and have a few answers prepared.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in May 2010.

Interview was very indepth and the interviewer was really friendly...

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you exceeded normal customer service?   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Call back next day for a phone interview

Not enough money

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

3 interviews over 4 hours. Very friendly and comfortable interviews.Interviewers were able to discuss their personal experience with Carmax.The first interviewer also discussed other positions that I might be interested in that I hadn't considered.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty basic and expected for example on question was - can you remember a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Compensation was low.

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax in April 2011.

3 interviews. asked a lot of name a time when questions. Also had to take a filing test. interviewed by Managers and HR Manager. Applied online
      the Associate recommended me. was offer position by last interview. Starting pay. take test to increase pay. Also had to take a filing test. drug test. etc

Job was offered. Starting pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chattanooga, TN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in August 2013.

Did a phone interview and then a face to face a week later, if you can call it that. You spend the first 30 minutes attached to a computer listening to a rah-rah video and answering questions about stealing and drugs. Actual human being was very very young and fully committed to the company....and I mean fully, almost to the point of scary. Your questions are basic...why do you think you'd be a good fit.... what's a challenge you overcame....blah, blah. Typical corporate questions. Nothing unique...if you're interviewed for Wal-Mart, this is pretty much the same.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in December 2010.

When I got there the lady who I was supposed to ask for was on her lunch break. She ended up being 10 minutes late which I thought was very unprofessional. When she got there she had me review my application I had filled out online and I had to sign a bunch of papers saying that everything was true and I consent to background checks and drug tests.

After this I had to take an online questionnaire thing that asked me have you every been convicted of a felony, do you do drugs, have you been involved in a hit and run...ect.

I'm an extremely honest person and one of the questions asked if I had ever tried an illegal drug. Okay, really who hasn't? So I told them truth and said I had. It then went on to ask what drug, how many times have you used, and how long ago. I answered that I had tried marijuana, once, a couple of years ago.

After that they had two guys come meet with me and he had a paper that had my answers about the drug part of the questionnaire. He then went over my answers with me and I had to sign saying they were true.

After that a lady from the Business Office came and did the typical interview. She asked me why I wanted to work for Carmax, what my strong qualities were, name a situation where I went out of my way to help a customer or coworker, and what my current manager would say I could improve on.

I received a letter about a week later saying that they had decided to pursue other candidates.

I believe I was VERY qualified for this job and I did extremely well during the interview. I'm pretty sure they discarded me so quickly because of my honesty about trying marijuana. I think that is so stupid because I was just trying to be honest and they could have drug tested me and see that I don't use drugs. Very frustrating. Guess you have to tell a little white lie now and then.

Interview Questions
    • What would your current manager say that you could improve on?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Carmax?   Answer Question
    • What are your strongest qualities?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent experience where you went out of your way to help a customer or coworker.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in November 2011.

I got a phone interviiew which asked basic interview question and then was asked to come in for a face to face interview. I waited in th elobby 20 mins to get called back which i filled out a background check info and was sent back to the lobby for another 20 mins. Two interviews came and acted not interested and asked me FOUR questions FOUR!! What a waste of my time.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in September 2013.

I applied online 3 days later I received a call for a phone interview 4 days later. Phone interview took 15 minutes. She asked 5 general interview questions like what would you do in this situation. Describe an obstacle / task with a team you overcame and a plan of action. Etc. after that got asked for a person interview a couple days later. I showed up on time waited an hour before getting seen. Then got asked to fill out an online background check questionnaire that took 15 minutes. This background check will ask you every job you have ever held and if you left any out on your résumé. If you stole anything and or use drugs. Mainly asking if you stole and do drugs. After that was completed waited another 10 minutes got seen by a manager not in my line of work and got asked the same exact questions on the back ground check and the SAME question on the phone interview.
    Then was told they will let me know an answer for a follow up interview in 72 hrs. Reviewed an email 2 days later stating my background check came out clean but didn't get the job. Unfortunately I believe this is a bad way to choose someone to work for you based on background check the and the same exact questions being asked repetivily. I'm ex military and hold a clearance. No hard feelings. Interviewers were really friendly and polite and easy to talk to.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in King of Prussia, PA

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in November 2013.

I applied 10.13.13 had a phone interview 10.31.13. Recruiter was very nice, after interview we set up an in person interview for the next business day. The interview was a little late for my liking, I'm not used to interviewing in the evening. I got there did an online assessment and filled out some paper work. Please understand that they do a THOROUGH background check of your past employers up to 10 years back. Thats fine for someone who's in their 30's and has had experience but being a student all of my life and only having part time jobs that I cared nothing about should not count! They asked a bunch of questions about shoplifting and drug use. Once that was completed, I had an interview with someone who asked the same questions I just answered on the computer, then I had another interview with the same person who did my phone interview. So I felt a little comfortable. She basically asked the exact same questions that I answered over the phone. There weren't really any technical or unexpected questions.