CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions

Updated Aug 18, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CarMax (Nashville, TN) in July 2012.

Interview

It is very thorough. The process begins online with entering your background information and also an assessment. If you pass the assessment and they are interested, you will be called to schedule a phone interview, which usually lasts 15 minutes. After that, if they like you, you will be called in for an in person interview. This interview will be first with a manager and then if available, a senior manager. If a senior manager is not available, you will have to schedule to come back a second time to complete the final interview. For me personally, they originally offered the position to someone else so it took over a month to get back to me because of this reason.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were required to work with a team to complete an assigned project.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in August 2015.

Interview

1st. Phone Interview set up. Then the day of the interview I was called and was told they wanted to do a face to face interview instead. So, the phone interview was cancelled and we set up a face to face interview for 3 business days later. 2nd. The day before the interview I received a missed call from them asking for me to call them back ASAP. 20 minutes after the first call, I took my break to call but I didn't have to because they were already calling me. Only to find out they are cancelling the interview because they already filled it.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sacramento, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Sacramento, CA).

Interview

Applied online got a call a week later and had a short phone interview. They said they really enjoyed speaking with me over the phone and that they would have a manger call me to schedule a face to face interview. I got a call from the manager a couple hours later to come in for a face to face. My interview was at 1:30 and then they call me around 11 saying that they needed to push it back to 3. So I get there at 3 and wait awhile for someone to see me, they set me up on a computer asking questions basically if im a drug addict or criminal. After that i wait awhile longer waiting for someone to see me. I finally get to a manager to interview me, he asks me 4 questions off of a piece of paper and doesnt look at me during the interview at all and gives me the "you should hear something by next week" phrase and basically rushes me out the door and doesnt even walk me out. At the point i knew I didnt get the job but if they had called me i would of said "thanks, no thanks" I would never work for a company that handles interviews that matter. They likely hired someone earlier that they interviewed and even made me go through the trouble of rescheduling my interview.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davie, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Davie, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

First they take you to a computer to answer about 10 questions based about your background. Have you been incarcerated, felon, etc. Simple. After, you then wait a little more and then one of the managers walks you to an interview room. I was interviewed by the Manager and Assistant Manager. Before the actual interview starts you have to sign a series of forms and paperwork. While your signing, they explain what each one means to speed up the process. Then you go over your job description. Then FINALLY we started the actual interview. First part of the interview was general questions. Pretty much questions about yourself. The second half of the interview were all situational questions. All in all, the interview lasted about 20 minutes and the whole process lasted only a little over an hour.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. Name a time where you had to multi-task. Name a time where you had use leadership skills. Name a time where you had to meet a work goal in a short period of time. Name a time where you needed to improve your skills.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Start off by answering a few questions, then you get to start the interview. It's a very long process, 3 interviews in one day. I honestly don't understand why there are so many, especially for the position and the pay. It's not like I interviewed for a management position.

Anonymous Employee in Fredericksburg, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Fredericksburg, VA) in May 2011.

Interview

It's a lengthy process. After you submit an app it can take a few weeks to a month to get a phone call. You do a phone interview asking your basic info and a few scenario type questions. If you get past that they schedule you to come in. Then there's a questionnaire in store about previous experiences (been fired, used drugs, etc). After that you go into an interview with 1 or 2 managers (tell me about a time when...). If that one goes well there is a final interview that is similar to the last. If they don't offer at that time then you probably haven't got the job. You have to provide specific examples and not generalizations for your answers.

Interview Questions

• simetomes the rules aren't spelled out in black and white. Tell me about a time when you weren't sure if something you were doing was against the rules? What did you do?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received a call the next day from the recruiter scheduling a Face to Face interview for Friday at 3PM. When i got there i was prompted to sit at a computer and fill out a questionnaire asking: have you since your 18th birthday committed a sexual offense, done any illegal drug, committed murder etc; After that i had an interview with the Business Office Manager that went really well, and he was really nice, he gave a detailed description of what i would be doing and had me sign paper work agreeing, allowing them to run my credit, and background check etc; i was extended an offer at this point. All in all, DONT waste your time! They only pay $10.00 for FULL-TIME position(keep in mind i am located in Miami which is amongst one of the highest cost of living states)

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Carmax? Name a situation where you had to over come customer objection? Name a Time where you asked another associate who WASNT management for help and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Oklahoma City, OK

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Oklahoma City, OK) in May 2014.

Interview

Applied online, received a phone call a couple days later and had a phone interview before I was invited to the location to have a face-to-face interview. Phone interview consisted of a few basic questions (Have you ever applied before? What made you chose this role?) Face-to-face interview with three different individuals from two different departments took about 30-45 minutes.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you faced a challenge, and how did you approach it?   Answer Question
    • Where do you see yourself in 5 years?   Answer Question
    • What are some skills you already have that will help you with this position?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX) in October 2014.

Interview

Long process. Starts with an online interview asking you questions about your background, have you ever been arrested etc. Then there are about 4 separate interviews with different departments, 1 maybe 2 interviewers asking situational questions. I got a job offer that same day, they kind of rushed through the job description and pay and have you do your drug test right there.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time.... Usually all situational questions   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in April 2015.

Interview

Applied on a Monday called for an phone interview Friday, in person interview the following Monday. When I first walked in they put me at a computer to answer very general question about criminal history. After that I met with the assistant manager, then sales manager, then the head manager of the business office.