CarMax

Updated Nov 14, 2014
Updated Nov 14, 2014

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

The actual process went pretty smooth. I applied back in October not expecting to hear anything back because of previous experience applying with them. Randomly I recieved a phone call from the manager assistant asking me if I was still interested and was wondering if I would want to set up a phone interview for the next day. I then had my phone I interview and when I passed that I had an in store interview. When I first arrived I had to fill out some paperwork and do an online assessment. This assessment asked me questions about crimes which not. I did this with the same person that set up my phone interview. After waiting for about 15 minutes I intervied with a manger and was asked a series of behavioral questions and typical why do you want to work here questions. Then I was interviewed by another manager in the same department and was asked another series of behavioral questions. Then the two managers went and talked for about 15 minutes and then I was offered the job. It was very nice the whole entire process but it did take longer than normal interviews so just be prepared.

Interview Questions
I didn't negotiate the pay seemed fair for the job.

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

Very thorough interview questions lots of behavioral questions so be prepared to have some specific situations in mind. Phone interview about 4 questions and got a face to face. Got on the computer was asked a few questions. Didn't take very long, if you don't answer the questions wrong. Talked with 3 different managers and got hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you overcame a difficult and frustrating work experience?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in August 2014.

I filled out the application online and a week or so later they called me to schedule phone interview. I felt that the phone interview went very well (mostly behavioral questions) because they immediately wanted to schedule an in person interview a few days later. When I arrived I was instructed to fill out info on a computer for background checks and answer a few screening questions (criminal history, employment history, etc). After that I waited for the managers interviewing me.

Once they were ready we introduced ourselves and went into an office for the interview. I was surprised at how young they both were and the lead interviewer was one of those people who's so completely dedicated to the company that it's a bit frightening. Anyways they ask more behavioral questions and overall I felt that I answered them just as well as I had on the previous interview. When we were done they said they had to step out for a minute and would be back. They returned a few minutes later to say that they had a more interviews taking place throughout the week but that I should expect to hear from the recruiter after that. The next morning I received an e-mail stating that I didn't get the job.

I really can't figure out where I went wrong. I have many years of customer service experience, offered firm handshakes, dressed professionally, was friendly to everyone in the store while I was waiting, basically everything that you're supposed to do. Clearly they couldn't have had the time to interview more people between my interview and the email. I really wish I knew the reason.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when had to make a quick decision?"   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax in April 2011.

3 interviews. asked a lot of name a time when questions. Also had to take a filing test. interviewed by Managers and HR Manager. Applied online
      the Associate recommended me. was offer position by last interview. Starting pay. take test to increase pay. Also had to take a filing test. drug test. etc

Job was offered. Starting pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in October 2013.

I went through about 5 interview processes. The first one was at the store and done online. The second one was with the hr lady. The third one was with the manager of my specific department. The fourth one was with another manager of a completely different department. Finally, the last interview was with another supervisor in the same exact department that I would be working in. I would say all interviews were intense because they were not scripted and was mostly about the person being interviewed. If you go in interested and with lots of questions (I do mean alot, stupid or not) you have a great chance of moving on. They are looking for a family oriented, friendly, happy, focused and competitive type of individual and they really love hearing what you have to say. So, the more you talk, the more they listen, the bigger the chance there is for you being selected.

N/a

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

I Had 3 different interview with 3 different department managers each of those went well. They asked typical questions some are so redundant or the previous interviewer already asked. They seemed very scripted with the questions and they have to read everything verbatim.

The pay was not enough.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

I originally applied for a Buyer's Assistant position. I had phone interview with a manager who asked me to come in for a face to face interview the next day. Once you arrive, you sit in a room by yourself and answer questions on a computer such as, "have you ever murdered someone." (If you've murdered someone, I hope you're in prison and not interviewing for a job at Carmax). I interviewed with the same manager from the phone interview for about an hour and then he brought in his manager. All in all, I was there for about 2 hours that day. The next day, I got a call back and they said I was basically overqualified and they wanted me to come back in for another interview for the Business Office Associate position. I figured, better position, better pay. Wrong. I was shocked that they offered me $10/hr after my FOURTH interview. I took the drug test and tentatively accepted the position. Once I got home, I realized that $10 isn't even worth me getting out of bed in the morning so I called back and declined. $10/hr is not acceptable to offer someone with a bachelor's degree as far as I'm concerned. On the plus side, everyone I met at Carmax was very nice and I really think it would have been a fun place to work otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral questions. Tell me about a time when...   Answer Question

Pay was not appropriate for my education and background

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Had a phone interview first and then was invited in to the store. Interviewed by 4 people the same day all managers. Very thorough. Asked many questions about past work experience. Whole interview took about 3.5 hours. Was asked to do a drug test and offered a position on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Give me a time when you were faced with a difficult time constraint and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

3 interviews over 4 hours. Very friendly and comfortable interviews.Interviewers were able to discuss their personal experience with Carmax.The first interviewer also discussed other positions that I might be interested in that I hadn't considered.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty basic and expected for example on question was - can you remember a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Compensation was low.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

First I had my phone interview, which were pretty basic questions. Asking a lot abut your past work experience. After my phone interview they wanted to schedule a face to face interview. When you get there, they make you sit in this office on a computer and answering questions online asking if you have ever done drugs, have you stolen anything, etc. That takes about 10-15 minutes. After that, someone will interview you, and be prepared for a lot of questions. There were a lot of questions like "Tell me about a time where..." After my first interview they told me they want a second interview with a different person. So about 10 minutes later I was interviewed again by the guy who did my phone interview. Again, asking more questions about situations that you have been in, how did you solve this problem, tell me about a time where you did this...etc. After that interview I was pretty much offered the job right there and then! Starting pay is $10 an hour.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions starting off as "Tell me about a time when..."   Answer Question