CarMax

Updated Feb 12, 2015
Updated Feb 12, 2015

2.9

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

pretty easy, simple interview like most jobs. you'll be interviewed by 2-3 managers and hired if you pass.

no negotiation , part time starts at $10 which was pretty good at the time. considering i was coming from Gap making 8.25

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Was contacted one week after submitting online application. Initial contact was friendly and brief - the woman I spoke with set up a next-day phone interview with me. After completing the phone interview, I was told that I would be contacted within a week if they wanted to continue on with the process. I was contacted by the same woman two days later and asked to come in for an in-store interview (scheduled for after the weekend). The in-store interview was about 2 hours, half of which was spent waiting for interviewers. It started with a brief online interview questionnaire asking simple questions about my work/life history (drug use, jobs omitted on application, history of theft?). I was interviewed, first, by a gentleman from a different department (standard interview questions, What do you know about CarMax? along with incident questions). I was then interviewed by a couple of managers (many of the same questions) and told they would be in contact with me within the next couple of weeks. I was contacted the next day and scheduled to come back in for a follow-up interview (scheduled for next week). All staff members I encountered were friendly and hospitable.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected, difficult questions. However, when being asked "incident questions", like 'Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision in a quick manner...', they are looking for specific answers, nothing generalized.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Call back next day for a phone interview

Not enough money

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

First I had my phone interview, which were pretty basic questions. Asking a lot abut your past work experience. After my phone interview they wanted to schedule a face to face interview. When you get there, they make you sit in this office on a computer and answering questions online asking if you have ever done drugs, have you stolen anything, etc. That takes about 10-15 minutes. After that, someone will interview you, and be prepared for a lot of questions. There were a lot of questions like "Tell me about a time where..." After my first interview they told me they want a second interview with a different person. So about 10 minutes later I was interviewed again by the guy who did my phone interview. Again, asking more questions about situations that you have been in, how did you solve this problem, tell me about a time where you did this...etc. After that interview I was pretty much offered the job right there and then! Starting pay is $10 an hour.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions starting off as "Tell me about a time when..."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Nice office and friendly staff

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Application filled out in-store, I came appropriately dressed in slacks and a nice blouse. They reviewed my application and called me in for an interview about 2 days later.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process consists of at least three managers from different departments, ending with the manager from the office for which you're applying.
      Typical questions include: "Tell me about a time when you had to work as a team to accomplish a goal." and "How would you persuade a team member to act on your idea."

Answer Question
    The starting salary is $10 for a business office associate. after you complete 4 certifications (you'll receive a .25 raise for each certification) you will be at $11/HR. Leads get a $1 raise on top of that. I achieved this promotion around a year into my employment at CarMax.

Anonymous Employee in Tinley Park, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Tinley Park, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in January 2014.

Phone interview with basic questions: your greatest strength/weakness; your availability to work evenings and weekends; brief work history. In person interview scheduled...step one is an online assessment; step two was an interview with Asst. Office Mgr (with Lead Bus Assoc observing); step three was interview with Office Mgr. Step four tour of area.

Interview Questions
    • Your most frustrating or difficult experience in which you had to interact with a customer   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in November 2013.

I applied 10.13.13 had a phone interview 10.31.13. Recruiter was very nice, after interview we set up an in person interview for the next business day. The interview was a little late for my liking, I'm not used to interviewing in the evening. I got there did an online assessment and filled out some paper work. Please understand that they do a THOROUGH background check of your past employers up to 10 years back. Thats fine for someone who's in their 30's and has had experience but being a student all of my life and only having part time jobs that I cared nothing about should not count! They asked a bunch of questions about shoplifting and drug use. Once that was completed, I had an interview with someone who asked the same questions I just answered on the computer, then I had another interview with the same person who did my phone interview. So I felt a little comfortable. She basically asked the exact same questions that I answered over the phone. There weren't really any technical or unexpected questions.

Anonymous Employee in King of Prussia, PA

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CarMax in November 2013.

Phone interview first in response to my application. Very nice interview normal questions detailed work history review I would suggest to have a resume. In person interview normal online questions then in person interview scenario questions what would you do. finally said they loved me wanted me to work for me but the position I applied for was filled. I was very turned off by this because I had drove over an hour for the interview. They offered me a sales associate position and I declined because that is what I currently am doing. The business office associate is also very entry level pay of only 11-12 dollars an hour. the sales position is a joke you are basically a cashier because of the process they have for selling cars.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in October 2013.

I went through about 5 interview processes. The first one was at the store and done online. The second one was with the hr lady. The third one was with the manager of my specific department. The fourth one was with another manager of a completely different department. Finally, the last interview was with another supervisor in the same exact department that I would be working in. I would say all interviews were intense because they were not scripted and was mostly about the person being interviewed. If you go in interested and with lots of questions (I do mean alot, stupid or not) you have a great chance of moving on. They are looking for a family oriented, friendly, happy, focused and competitive type of individual and they really love hearing what you have to say. So, the more you talk, the more they listen, the bigger the chance there is for you being selected.

N/a