CarMax

Average Difficulty
31 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Application filled out in-store, I came appropriately dressed in slacks and a nice blouse. They reviewed my application and called me in for an interview about 2 days later.

Interview Question – The interview process consists of at least three managers from different departments, ending with the manager from the office for which you're applying.
Typical questions include: "Tell me about a time when you had to work as a team to accomplish a goal." and "How would you persuade a team member to act on your idea."
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The starting salary is $10 for a business office associate. after you complete 4 certifications (you'll receive a .25 raise for each certification) you will be at $11/HR. Leads get a $1 raise on top of that. I achieved this promotion around a year into my employment at CarMax.

King of Prussia, PA

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at CarMax in November 2013.

Interview Details – Phone interview first in response to my application. Very nice interview normal questions detailed work history review I would suggest to have a resume. In person interview normal online questions then in person interview scenario questions what would you do. finally said they loved me wanted me to work for me but the position I applied for was filled. I was very turned off by this because I had drove over an hour for the interview. They offered me a sales associate position and I declined because that is what I currently am doing. The business office associate is also very entry level pay of only 11-12 dollars an hour. the sales position is a joke you are basically a cashier because of the process they have for selling cars.

King of Prussia, PA

I applied online - interviewed at CarMax in November 2013.

Interview Details – I applied 10.13.13 had a phone interview 10.31.13. Recruiter was very nice, after interview we set up an in person interview for the next business day. The interview was a little late for my liking, I'm not used to interviewing in the evening. I got there did an online assessment and filled out some paper work. Please understand that they do a THOROUGH background check of your past employers up to 10 years back. Thats fine for someone who's in their 30's and has had experience but being a student all of my life and only having part time jobs that I cared nothing about should not count! They asked a bunch of questions about shoplifting and drug use. Once that was completed, I had an interview with someone who asked the same questions I just answered on the computer, then I had another interview with the same person who did my phone interview. So I felt a little comfortable. She basically asked the exact same questions that I answered over the phone. There weren't really any technical or unexpected questions.

Interview Questions

Sterling, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in September 2013.

Interview Details – I applied online 3 days later I received a call for a phone interview 4 days later. Phone interview took 15 minutes. She asked 5 general interview questions like what would you do in this situation. Describe an obstacle / task with a team you overcame and a plan of action. Etc. after that got asked for a person interview a couple days later. I showed up on time waited an hour before getting seen. Then got asked to fill out an online background check questionnaire that took 15 minutes. This background check will ask you every job you have ever held and if you left any out on your résumé. If you stole anything and or use drugs. Mainly asking if you stole and do drugs. After that was completed waited another 10 minutes got seen by a manager not in my line of work and got asked the same exact questions on the back ground check and the SAME question on the phone interview.
Then was told they will let me know an answer for a follow up interview in 72 hrs. Reviewed an email 2 days later stating my background check came out clean but didn't get the job. Unfortunately I believe this is a bad way to choose someone to work for you based on background check the and the same exact questions being asked repetivily. I'm ex military and hold a clearance. No hard feelings. Interviewers were really friendly and polite and easy to talk to.

Austin, TX

I applied online - interviewed at CarMax in March 2013.

Interview Details – Everyone was very pleasant. Had to go through a very detailed and invasive questionnaire about your past.

Interview Question – Asked typical interviewing questions.   Answer Question

Chattanooga, TN

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in August 2013.

Interview Details – Did a phone interview and then a face to face a week later, if you can call it that. You spend the first 30 minutes attached to a computer listening to a rah-rah video and answering questions about stealing and drugs. Actual human being was very very young and fully committed to the company....and I mean fully, almost to the point of scary. Your questions are basic...why do you think you'd be a good fit.... what's a challenge you overcame....blah, blah. Typical corporate questions. Nothing unique...if you're interviewed for Wal-Mart, this is pretty much the same.

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details – I was initially interviewed on the phone by the human resources generalist. This was fairly straightforward. Next, I went through two face to face interviews. The questions were typical behavioral interview questions. Describe a situation in which you dealt with a difficult customer, etc.

Interview Question – Though some of the questions were difficult to answer because it is difficult to think of scenarios to demonstrate the qualities they were looking for, none of them were particularly unexpected. If you're worried about the interview, simply study behavioral interview questions and have a few answers prepared.   Answer Question

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at CarMax in May 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online for a new location. Got a phone call to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty brief and asked typical questions. Said they loved talking with me and set up my second interview. It was being held at a "hiring center." There I was seated at a computer to answer some questions about my drug history, etc. After being called in for the interview, I was asked the identical questions as on the phone, only like 4-5 questions. I can assume he did not like my answers, and I felt like I flunked a test or something, because after 4 simple questions I was done, told I'd hear something within 48 hours and then promptly escorted out the door. Felt like they already had hired for the position. They sent me an email first thing the next morning informing me they hired another candidate.

Interview Question – What made you apply for CarMax and for the position you applied for?   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in April 2013.

Interview Details – Long! Got there earlier in the day, and left in the middle of the day. But the interviewers made up for it. The HR woman was very nice,and helpful.

Interview Question – None, pretty standard interview. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in January 2013.

Interview Details – I initially applied online for the position and was contacted by phone within a week. My first interview was a short phone interview (about 20 minutes) and consisted of typical interview questions - why do you want the job, where did you hear about the position, what are your qualifications. The woman I spoke with on the phone was very friendly and at the end of the interview she set up a time for me to come in for an in-person interview, which was 2 days after the phone interview. The in-person interview was betwee 2.5 and 3 hours, even though most of that time was spent in the waiting area for the next interviewer. I first completed an online interview (have you ever stolen/done drugs etc.) and then spoke with one man. After that, I spoke with another woman, then there was a short panel interview with the woman and one other girl (very short and informal), and then I took a short test where I compared VIN numbers and circled if they were the same or different. After, I waited again and was offered the job on the spot and I took a drug test. Everyone was very friendly and kind. A positive interview experience. Also, a tip. Do not lie to them because they do a very thorough background check.

Interview Question – Fairly typical interview questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. Just an hourly pay rate.

Interviews for Top Jobs at CarMax