CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions

Updated Mar 26, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Had a phone interview first and then was invited in to the store. Interviewed by 4 people the same day all managers. Very thorough. Asked many questions about past work experience. Whole interview took about 3.5 hours. Was asked to do a drug test and offered a position on the spot.

Interview Questions
  • Give me a time when you were faced with a difficult time constraint and how you handled it.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

I Had 3 different interview with 3 different department managers each of those went well. They asked typical questions some are so redundant or the previous interviewer already asked. They seemed very scripted with the questions and they have to read everything verbatim.

The pay was not enough.

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

3 interviews over 4 hours. Very friendly and comfortable interviews.Interviewers were able to discuss their personal experience with Carmax.The first interviewer also discussed other positions that I might be interested in that I hadn't considered.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty basic and expected for example on question was - can you remember a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Compensation was low.

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

pretty easy, simple interview like most jobs. you'll be interviewed by 2-3 managers and hired if you pass.

no negotiation , part time starts at $10 which was pretty good at the time. considering i was coming from Gap making 8.25

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Was contacted one week after submitting online application. Initial contact was friendly and brief - the woman I spoke with set up a next-day phone interview with me. After completing the phone interview, I was told that I would be contacted within a week if they wanted to continue on with the process. I was contacted by the same woman two days later and asked to come in for an in-store interview (scheduled for after the weekend). The in-store interview was about 2 hours, half of which was spent waiting for interviewers. It started with a brief online interview questionnaire asking simple questions about my work/life history (drug use, jobs omitted on application, history of theft?). I was interviewed, first, by a gentleman from a different department (standard interview questions, What do you know about CarMax? along with incident questions). I was then interviewed by a couple of managers (many of the same questions) and told they would be in contact with me within the next couple of weeks. I was contacted the next day and scheduled to come back in for a follow-up interview (scheduled for next week). All staff members I encountered were friendly and hospitable.

Interview Questions
    • No unexpected, difficult questions. However, when being asked "incident questions", like 'Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision in a quick manner...', they are looking for specific answers, nothing generalized.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Call back next day for a phone interview

Not enough money

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greenville, SC

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

First I had my phone interview, which were pretty basic questions. Asking a lot abut your past work experience. After my phone interview they wanted to schedule a face to face interview. When you get there, they make you sit in this office on a computer and answering questions online asking if you have ever done drugs, have you stolen anything, etc. That takes about 10-15 minutes. After that, someone will interview you, and be prepared for a lot of questions. There were a lot of questions like "Tell me about a time where..." After my first interview they told me they want a second interview with a different person. So about 10 minutes later I was interviewed again by the guy who did my phone interview. Again, asking more questions about situations that you have been in, how did you solve this problem, tell me about a time where you did this...etc. After that interview I was pretty much offered the job right there and then! Starting pay is $10 an hour.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of questions starting off as "Tell me about a time when..."   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Irvine, CA

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Nice office and friendly staff

Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Application filled out in-store, I came appropriately dressed in slacks and a nice blouse. They reviewed my application and called me in for an interview about 2 days later.

Interview Questions
    • The interview process consists of at least three managers from different departments, ending with the manager from the office for which you're applying.
      Typical questions include: "Tell me about a time when you had to work as a team to accomplish a goal." and "How would you persuade a team member to act on your idea."

Answer Question
    The starting salary is $10 for a business office associate. after you complete 4 certifications (you'll receive a .25 raise for each certification) you will be at $11/HR. Leads get a $1 raise on top of that. I achieved this promotion around a year into my employment at CarMax.

Anonymous Employee in Tinley Park, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Tinley Park, IL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in January 2014.

Phone interview with basic questions: your greatest strength/weakness; your availability to work evenings and weekends; brief work history. In person interview scheduled...step one is an online assessment; step two was an interview with Asst. Office Mgr (with Lead Bus Assoc observing); step three was interview with Office Mgr. Step four tour of area.

Interview Questions
    • Your most frustrating or difficult experience in which you had to interact with a customer   Answer Question