CarMax Business Office Associate Interview Questions

2.9

34 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Houston, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied online. The process took 4 days - interviewed at CarMax in May 2013.

Applied online for a new location. Got a phone call to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was pretty brief and asked typical questions. Said they loved talking with me and set up my second interview. It was being held at a "hiring center." There I was seated at a computer to answer some questions about my drug history, etc. After being called in for the interview, I was asked the identical questions as on the phone, only like 4-5 questions. I can assume he did not like my answers, and I felt like I flunked a test or something, because after 4 simple questions I was done, told I'd hear something within 48 hours and then promptly escorted out the door. Felt like they already had hired for the position. They sent me an email first thing the next morning informing me they hired another candidate.

Interview Questions
  • What made you apply for CarMax and for the position you applied for?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in April 2013.

Long! Got there earlier in the day, and left in the middle of the day. But the interviewers made up for it. The HR woman was very nice,and helpful.

Interview Questions
    • None, pretty standard interview. Nothing out of the ordinary.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in January 2013.

I initially applied online for the position and was contacted by phone within a week. My first interview was a short phone interview (about 20 minutes) and consisted of typical interview questions - why do you want the job, where did you hear about the position, what are your qualifications. The woman I spoke with on the phone was very friendly and at the end of the interview she set up a time for me to come in for an in-person interview, which was 2 days after the phone interview. The in-person interview was betwee 2.5 and 3 hours, even though most of that time was spent in the waiting area for the next interviewer. I first completed an online interview (have you ever stolen/done drugs etc.) and then spoke with one man. After that, I spoke with another woman, then there was a short panel interview with the woman and one other girl (very short and informal), and then I took a short test where I compared VIN numbers and circled if they were the same or different. After, I waited again and was offered the job on the spot and I took a drug test. Everyone was very friendly and kind. A positive interview experience. Also, a tip. Do not lie to them because they do a very thorough background check.

Interview Questions
    No negotiation. Just an hourly pay rate.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in May 2012.

I was contacted a few days after completing an online application. The phone interview was brief and when I asked for the salary range I was told they do not discuss that until the in-person interview. When I arrived for that interview I was taken to a cubicle in the back office to complete an assessment and provided personal information to have my background check submitted. The assessment was a lot of questions about drug use, personality and workplace behavior. I interviewed with two different people, a Sales Manager and a Back Office Assistant Manager. I was not given the pay rate ($10/hourly) until the end of the interview process, which lasted 2 hours. Then I was told if I wanted to move forward I could take my drug test that same day and get a New Hire Orientation packet, start date, etc. Basically, it was a conditional offer. The staff was really nice and professional. They said I could have some time to think about it, because it would be a pay cut for me. I explained earlier that I was still employed. I called back a few days later to thank them for the opportunity, but declined. I was offered another position in my career field shortly afterwards. However, a few weeks later I received a letter in the mail stating "while your background is impressive, regrettably, we need to let you know we have decided to pursue another candidate." Since I verbally declined I did not see a point in sending that, but overall the experience was average.

There was no salary negotiation. The starting pay is only $10.00/hourly, $11.00/hourly after completing 4 certifications, including getting a notary license at GTCC.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Louisville, KY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Louisville, KY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in June 2012.

I was very excited to interview with CarMax a company on Fortune 100's best companies to work for. I was overqualified for the position I was applying for and had a very smooth and positive interview. Everything went very well and my final interviewer ( 3 total ) told me to definitely be expecting a phone call either that night or the following day. I left feeling very confident that I had the job; then no phone call. I called 3 business days after the interview to follow up and thank them for the interview and let them know I was still very interested in the position. No answer, left a voice mail for the recruiter. This was 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from them either way. I'm very disappointed in them and feel very led on. If you don't want to hire me that is perfectly fine, but at least let me know.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when.... (20 different generic variations)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Mission, KS
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Mission, KS

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in August 2011.

During the interview they had me take an online quiz of personality etc. During this quiz it asks about recreational drug use I accidentally choose often even thought I have never done drugs. The rest of the three interviews consisted of me trying to convince them that I have never done drugs. Other than questions about the drugs they didn't ask hardly any other questions. Waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • What about the position caught you interest in applying?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Austin, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in January 2012.

I filled out an application online and afterwards another test which delves more into your personality and traits with several pages of questions following. I received a call and came in for the interview where they handed me a printout of my resume and answers and asked me to initial any changes along with forms for background checks thru the social security administration to check my past work history, service merchant association to report shoplifting charges and another one that I can't remember. They are very thorough with their background checks. Then I was sent to a computer to again check whether I was fired, shoplifted, misdemeanors, felony charges, or past drug use, etc. I interviewed with one man who was very nice and asked me open ended questions such as "tell me about yourself" then to another manager who asked me "why I would leave my last position and what would my last employer say about me?" More of the business related questions. This process took approx. 3 hrs and I had another interview scheduled so I had to cut mine short. It was the longest interview process I've ever had in my years of interviewing!

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Roseville, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

I had my first interview with CarMax yesterday for a Business Office Associate position that had opened up. This was a group interview, only about 7 people showed up and 3 of them were interviewing for the same position as I was. Everyone was VERY kind. Once everyone had arrived we introduced ourselves after hearing about each of the managers of the departments. After introductions and a short video talking about the benefits of working at CarMax and what CarMax values we got a tour of the whole facility. I didn't realize it was so big! Once we got back we were set up at a computer so that we could take the "Online Interview" which asked things such as "Do you do any type of drugs?" if so, "How often?" etc and other questions about shoplifting, seeing someone else shoplifting, taking money or items from a past employer. It was very easy and you do have to be honest because they do background checks, past employer checks and reference checks. Once completed we went back out to the waiting room and the three department managers split us up and interviewed us. I interviewed first with a young man named Sean, the interview was easy because he asked me questions and would share a story if he could relate. Made me very comfortable. No hard questions either just lots of examples from previous jobs. My second interview was with a woman who I assumed would be my manager if hired. She was so nice! She asked about my jobs and we had a nice conversation about a couple of them. Super nice. After she had asked me some more behavioral questions. She thanked me and told me that someone would give me a call if the manager selected me and a would receive a letter if they did not. Seems promising. Haven't heard back yet but I will be sending a thank you letter regardless, very effective and challenging interview process!

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty and helped a co-worker.   View Answer
    • Describe a time when...   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Henderson, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

The process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in October 2011.

Just had my extensive interview process today , was wondering if they make an offer/drug test right away , or if that is another process in itself? I was told I would know within 10 days their decision? If anyone knows please give me feed back !!! it would be appreciated

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to go above and beyond to help a coworker or customer ..   Answer Question
    • do you drugs?(50 different ways )   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Plano, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Plano, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in December 2010.

When I got there the lady who I was supposed to ask for was on her lunch break. She ended up being 10 minutes late which I thought was very unprofessional. When she got there she had me review my application I had filled out online and I had to sign a bunch of papers saying that everything was true and I consent to background checks and drug tests.

After this I had to take an online questionnaire thing that asked me have you every been convicted of a felony, do you do drugs, have you been involved in a hit and run...ect.

I'm an extremely honest person and one of the questions asked if I had ever tried an illegal drug. Okay, really who hasn't? So I told them truth and said I had. It then went on to ask what drug, how many times have you used, and how long ago. I answered that I had tried marijuana, once, a couple of years ago.

After that they had two guys come meet with me and he had a paper that had my answers about the drug part of the questionnaire. He then went over my answers with me and I had to sign saying they were true.

After that a lady from the Business Office came and did the typical interview. She asked me why I wanted to work for Carmax, what my strong qualities were, name a situation where I went out of my way to help a customer or coworker, and what my current manager would say I could improve on.

I received a letter about a week later saying that they had decided to pursue other candidates.

I believe I was VERY qualified for this job and I did extremely well during the interview. I'm pretty sure they discarded me so quickly because of my honesty about trying marijuana. I think that is so stupid because I was just trying to be honest and they could have drug tested me and see that I don't use drugs. Very frustrating. Guess you have to tell a little white lie now and then.

Interview Questions
    • What would your current manager say that you could improve on?   Answer Question
    • Why do you want to work at Carmax?   Answer Question
    • What are your strongest qualities?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a recent experience where you went out of your way to help a customer or coworker.   Answer Question