CarMax

Average Difficulty
31 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Greensboro, NC

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in May 2012.

Interview Details – I was contacted a few days after completing an online application. The phone interview was brief and when I asked for the salary range I was told they do not discuss that until the in-person interview. When I arrived for that interview I was taken to a cubicle in the back office to complete an assessment and provided personal information to have my background check submitted. The assessment was a lot of questions about drug use, personality and workplace behavior. I interviewed with two different people, a Sales Manager and a Back Office Assistant Manager. I was not given the pay rate ($10/hourly) until the end of the interview process, which lasted 2 hours. Then I was told if I wanted to move forward I could take my drug test that same day and get a New Hire Orientation packet, start date, etc. Basically, it was a conditional offer. The staff was really nice and professional. They said I could have some time to think about it, because it would be a pay cut for me. I explained earlier that I was still employed. I called back a few days later to thank them for the opportunity, but declined. I was offered another position in my career field shortly afterwards. However, a few weeks later I received a letter in the mail stating "while your background is impressive, regrettably, we need to let you know we have decided to pursue another candidate." Since I verbally declined I did not see a point in sending that, but overall the experience was average.

Reason for Declining – There was no salary negotiation. The starting pay is only $10.00/hourly, $11.00/hourly after completing 4 certifications, including getting a notary license at GTCC.

Louisville, KY

The process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in June 2012.

Interview Details – I was very excited to interview with CarMax a company on Fortune 100's best companies to work for. I was overqualified for the position I was applying for and had a very smooth and positive interview. Everything went very well and my final interviewer ( 3 total ) told me to definitely be expecting a phone call either that night or the following day. I left feeling very confident that I had the job; then no phone call. I called 3 business days after the interview to follow up and thank them for the interview and let them know I was still very interested in the position. No answer, left a voice mail for the recruiter. This was 3 weeks ago and I haven't heard anything from them either way. I'm very disappointed in them and feel very led on. If you don't want to hire me that is perfectly fine, but at least let me know.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when.... (20 different generic variations)   Answer Question

Mission, KS

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in August 2011.

Interview Details – During the interview they had me take an online quiz of personality etc. During this quiz it asks about recreational drug use I accidentally choose often even thought I have never done drugs. The rest of the three interviews consisted of me trying to convince them that I have never done drugs. Other than questions about the drugs they didn't ask hardly any other questions. Waste of my time.

Interview Question – What about the position caught you interest in applying?   Answer Question

Austin, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in January 2012.

Interview Details – I filled out an application online and afterwards another test which delves more into your personality and traits with several pages of questions following. I received a call and came in for the interview where they handed me a printout of my resume and answers and asked me to initial any changes along with forms for background checks thru the social security administration to check my past work history, service merchant association to report shoplifting charges and another one that I can't remember. They are very thorough with their background checks. Then I was sent to a computer to again check whether I was fired, shoplifted, misdemeanors, felony charges, or past drug use, etc. I interviewed with one man who was very nice and asked me open ended questions such as "tell me about yourself" then to another manager who asked me "why I would leave my last position and what would my last employer say about me?" More of the business related questions. This process took approx. 3 hrs and I had another interview scheduled so I had to cut mine short. It was the longest interview process I've ever had in my years of interviewing!

Roseville, CA

Interview Details – I had my first interview with CarMax yesterday for a Business Office Associate position that had opened up. This was a group interview, only about 7 people showed up and 3 of them were interviewing for the same position as I was. Everyone was VERY kind. Once everyone had arrived we introduced ourselves after hearing about each of the managers of the departments. After introductions and a short video talking about the benefits of working at CarMax and what CarMax values we got a tour of the whole facility. I didn't realize it was so big! Once we got back we were set up at a computer so that we could take the "Online Interview" which asked things such as "Do you do any type of drugs?" if so, "How often?" etc and other questions about shoplifting, seeing someone else shoplifting, taking money or items from a past employer. It was very easy and you do have to be honest because they do background checks, past employer checks and reference checks. Once completed we went back out to the waiting room and the three department managers split us up and interviewed us. I interviewed first with a young man named Sean, the interview was easy because he asked me questions and would share a story if he could relate. Made me very comfortable. No hard questions either just lots of examples from previous jobs. My second interview was with a woman who I assumed would be my manager if hired. She was so nice! She asked about my jobs and we had a nice conversation about a couple of them. Super nice. After she had asked me some more behavioral questions. She thanked me and told me that someone would give me a call if the manager selected me and a would receive a letter if they did not. Seems promising. Haven't heard back yet but I will be sending a thank you letter regardless, very effective and challenging interview process!

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond the call of duty and helped a co-worker.   View Answer
  • Describe a time when...   View Answer

Henderson, NV

The process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in October 2011.

Interview Details – Just had my extensive interview process today , was wondering if they make an offer/drug test right away , or if that is another process in itself? I was told I would know within 10 days their decision? If anyone knows please give me feed back !!! it would be appreciated

Plano, TX

The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in December 2010.

Interview Details – When I got there the lady who I was supposed to ask for was on her lunch break. She ended up being 10 minutes late which I thought was very unprofessional. When she got there she had me review my application I had filled out online and I had to sign a bunch of papers saying that everything was true and I consent to background checks and drug tests.

After this I had to take an online questionnaire thing that asked me have you every been convicted of a felony, do you do drugs, have you been involved in a hit and run...ect.

I'm an extremely honest person and one of the questions asked if I had ever tried an illegal drug. Okay, really who hasn't? So I told them truth and said I had. It then went on to ask what drug, how many times have you used, and how long ago. I answered that I had tried marijuana, once, a couple of years ago.

After that they had two guys come meet with me and he had a paper that had my answers about the drug part of the questionnaire. He then went over my answers with me and I had to sign saying they were true.

After that a lady from the Business Office came and did the typical interview. She asked me why I wanted to work for Carmax, what my strong qualities were, name a situation where I went out of my way to help a customer or coworker, and what my current manager would say I could improve on.

I received a letter about a week later saying that they had decided to pursue other candidates.

I believe I was VERY qualified for this job and I did extremely well during the interview. I'm pretty sure they discarded me so quickly because of my honesty about trying marijuana. I think that is so stupid because I was just trying to be honest and they could have drug tested me and see that I don't use drugs. Very frustrating. Guess you have to tell a little white lie now and then.

Business Office Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in November 2011.

Interview Details – I got a phone interviiew which asked basic interview question and then was asked to come in for a face to face interview. I waited in th elobby 20 mins to get called back which i filled out a background check info and was sent back to the lobby for another 20 mins. Two interviews came and acted not interested and asked me FOUR questions FOUR!! What a waste of my time.

Interview Question – Describe an expereience working with a team   Answer Question

Business Office Associate

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in January 2011.

Interview Details – It was detailed, all the interviewers were very friendly

Interview Question – A time when you were able to come through for someone?   View Answer

Business Office Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in January 2010.

Interview Details – Interviewing process was intense but well worth it. I know that they really stick by the whole "we don't hire people that don't fit the CarMax attitude." Which is a good thing in my book I may add.

Interview Question – Name a time and or place where you had to make a crucial decision on a moments notice   Answer Question