CarMax

Relevance Date Difficulty

Business Office Manager Interview

Business Office Manager
Atlanta, GA

The process took 2 months - interviewed at CarMax in December 2011.

Interview Details – Let me start by saying that I am currently employed by one of the top three financial institutions in the US, headquarters on the West Coast. With that being said, we have been going through changes in the banking environment so after Car Max reached out to me I decided to brush up on my interview skills by entertaining employment opportunities with CarMax. I actually was looking for a car at their Roswell, GA location when I was approached about a job opportunity.

I have not interviewed in over 8 years as that is how long I have been with my current employer. I've heard through professional networks that CarMax has a very rigorous interview process, and since I love a challenge I figured I would entertain the interview.

Can I have 2 months of my life back? After a 1.5 hour phone interview, a 5 hour panel interview and 2 hour regional VP interview I have had my fill of CarMax. What was most disturbing is the Regional VP interview was the most unprofessional of them all. It pains me to believe that this company is actually one of the top 100 companies to work for. I cannot imagine that people would actually accept a job with a company that feels it is appropriate to interview 3 separate times where they ask you the same exact questions. I could not wrap my mind around this. It would have made sense if they had actually challenged me with different questions but it was literally the same ones.

This is a company that I would be wary of, especially if you are currently employed. I was given wrong information at every turn. Who I was to meet with for the interview, what the process would entail, the salary offered, etc.

I am used to a professional environment, and I guess I had to understand that is a used car dealership and not a bank, but there must be some level of professionalism, especially when you have prospective employees in the showroom. The "manager" on duty (while I was sitting there) was screaming about the football game. One of his employees approached ME for a job as a teller after he found out I was a manger for the bank??? Really? Nice guy though... I am going to interview him on Wednesday.

The questions were antiquated, the process was long and drawn out and you become very uninterested about half way through the process. I wouldn't recommend this place simply due to the unprofessional staff that I assume they want you to aspire to be???? Highly unlikely.

Now that I have wasted another 10 minutes on CarMax I will get to bed and prepare for my morning huddle with my team tomorrow. The bank looks that much better because if THIS is what interviewing in 2011/2012 is like, I will stay at my bank until I retire.

Overall... barbaric experience from the recruiter all the way up to the "so called" Regional Management Team. I wouldn't hire anybody in management there as one of my tellers. Good luck.

Interview Question – Tell me about a hard decision you had to make, and what made it difficult?   View Answer

Business Office Manager Interview

Business Office Manager

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Submitted resume through job board. Called for phone interview, then had in person interview with 3 people separately over 2 days.

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate and did, but not for a lot more.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!