CarMax

Average Difficulty
15 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Buyer Assistant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in June 2014.

Interview Details – It seemed to take forever. I showed up 10 minutes early and they sat me down at a CBT and I answered about a dozen questions online. They said someone would be in, so I waited about 15 minutes then decided to let someone know I was finished. Another 15 minutes passed and I got up and asked someone who appeared to be more in charge. Finally someone came in and had a print out of the questions I had answered online and verified what I said was true and I had to sign it. Away he went and I waited another 10 minutes. Another interviewer came in for about 5 "have you ever been in a situation" questions. After this, I waited for another 10 minutes and the Senior Buyer came in and asked 10 more "Describe a situtuation where..." questions. Following this, the interview was done and they said they would let me know within a week.

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you had to make a difficult decision.... all questions were like this.   View Answer

Buyer Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Interview Details – Found an ad online for hiring. It was a lengthy online application and had many behavioral questions. After finishing the application received a confirmation email saying thank you and due to high volume of applicants we reply to those who best fit our needs and will hold your application for 60 days. I received a call the next day and was very surprised. Did a 15 minute phone interview some behavioral and experience questions also asked what I knew of the company. The man was easy to talk to and took his time to answer my questions as well.. I was invited for a face to face the next week. My best advice is always dress professionally no matter what the company uniform will be. I wore a navy blue skirt suit with fresh make up and my hair pulled back with small closed toe heels. I knew instantly walking in I wanted to work there. Everyone was so friendly and easy to talk to. A great overall positive vibe with happy people . Short computer questionnaire then met with a man for an interview. Mostly behavioral and he followed a company prompt, which I liked. After talking with him for about 20 minutes he sent another person over to do another interview. More behavioral questions and they wrote your answers down. Be yourself, this is key. Relax and be honest. I had a great experience and can't wait to be apart of the team. It's always good to have questions for them and to do some research on the company.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Things such as describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer, difficult situations and how you handled them. Be familiar with the STAR method.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Base pay starting out but happy with it. There seems to be a lot of room for growth in this company.

Buyer's Assistant Interview

Buyer's Assistant
Roseville, CA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – This was a few years ago but I remember applying online and then getting a call. It was one interview, with 2 managers if I remember correctly. There was a urine drug screening. The person comes to the bathroom with you. My lady didn't actually stand in the stall with me but now-a-days that might have changed, who knows!

Interview Question – Describe a situation where you went above and beyond.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I didn't negotiate. I was young and happy to have the job.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Very Easy Interview

Buyer's Assistant Interview

Buyer's Assistant

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in September 2013.

Interview Details – Applied for a position after being referred to CarMax, within 2 days I was contacted by CarMax to come in for an interview. Immediately, I sensed that everyone at the store was happy to be a CarMax employee. I met with the HR person who led me to a computer where I verified that the information I had typed on the online application was correct. Additionally, I filled out more e-forms on background checks, release forms, etc. (typical HR stuff). Afterwards, I was told to wait in the sitting area to meet with a person from the purchasing department (I repeated this "wait in sitting area to meet so-and-so" 5 times--most annoying part of the interview). The first person came and enthusiastically introduced himself, asked how my day was, etc. while walking me to a room near where the computers were (leaving me to ask why I wasn't asked to wait in this room to begin with). They asked questions about my ALL of my previous employers what I did, how long I was there, why I left, why I didn't include them on my resume (as if I thought I had to include a job I worked at when I was 15 years old). Afterwards, I went back to the sitting room and waiting for the next person. This time 2 people came and introduced themselves, they asked typical interview questions from a sheet of paper. Back to the sitting room, waited for the next 2 people. Asked more interview questions from a sheet of paper. Back to the sitting room, waited for 1 more person. Finished. 2 days later I was called with a job offer. After accepting, I came in a few days later for a urine sample and started roughly 2 weeks after that.

Interview Question – All of the questions were extremely easy. If you Google "behavioral interview questions" and can confidently answer those, you'll do well. However, the most unexpected question were the questions about my previous employers, the interviewer made it seem like this was crucial and kept reminding me to be as truthful as possible, which made me nervous since I usually don't remember start/end dates.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. In the interview process, they were very adamant that everyone started at the same rate. I do wish I had tried to negotiate before accepting the offer just to see what would happen.

Sterling, VA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in June 2013.

Interview Details – Had a PRE-Interview by Telephone... VERY unprofessional, and highly reliant on an unrehearsed script. Several times I asked for a clarification of what was being asked only to hear keys clattering in the background. On one occasion the response was I can't there is no right or wrong answer. Which is fine, but what happens when the question does not make sense? My impression was the person who was interviewing me was blurring several questions together and not paying attention. At the end of this weird interview I was told I would be called back to set up an in person interview. The rejection letter was sent LESS that 3 minutes of the conversation ending. I have the cell phone record and date E-mail to prove this.

Interview Question – This is an approximation of one question...
"Can you give an example where working as a team negatively affected a sale but the customer came back and worked with another associate who succeeded with the sale? and what did you do to resolve the problem"?
  View Answers (2)

Nashville, TN

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – The day after submitting an application online I received a phone call to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed and had a very conversational feel to it and some rather general questions were asked. The phone interview lasted about 15 to 20 minutes and ended with the interviewer asking me to come in for an in-person interview later that week. It was cllear when I arrived that they were interviewing dozens of candidates for numerous positions all on the same day. I was interviewed several times throughout the course of the day by various people all of whom were reading from a questionnaire and jotting down my answers.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you misjudged someone.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Buyers Assistant Interview

Buyers Assistant
Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – There was a tour than the interviews. The interview felt like an interrogation; don't be fooled by their kindness it's all an act. They kept repeating how they were a fortune 500 company and how 1 in 40 gets hired; so what? I use to work for a bigger company than them. Just remember tell them what they want to hear; they are trained to interrogate you to find any reason to dismiss you.

Interview Question – What other jobs did you have over the past 7 years?   Answer Question

Nashville, TN

The process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in October 2011.

Interview Details – Everyone was very friendly and I enjoyed the experience. A few hours after submitting my application online I received a call from the hiring manager to set up a time for a phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed and conversational and at the end I was invited to come in for an interview in person. The in person interview consisted of two separate interviews where I was asked basic situational questions.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time when you were faced with an unhappy customer   Answer Question

Assistant Buyer Interview

Assistant Buyer
Kenosha, WI

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in August 2011.

Interview Details – The response to my application was very quick. I was called withing 2 business days of applying for the position. The person who performed the phone interview was very nice and easy to speak with. She explained the position the was applied for in more detail than was on the job summary. I was offered an interview during this phone call for the following week. I was, however, under the impression that this would only be a 1:1 interview. When I arrived at the facility (which is huge!), it was before normal business hours, so there was nobody in the front area to direct me. Luckily, I arrived early and was able to wait around until someone happened to walk by and show me where to go. When I arrived to the area I needed to be in, I was told to have a seat and the person I was supposed to meet would be with me shortly; which she was. I was then taken to a public area that is normally used by the salespeople and I was asked to look over the application I submitted online and make sure things looked correct. I was thenI asked to do a computerized questionaire about my background and then signed paperwork allowing access to a background check. As I was answering questions on the computer, I noticed more and more people being seated around me going through the same process. I then realized this was not a 1:1 interview, it was a job fair. After completeing the computer part of this process, I was then asked again to have a seat and wait for the next person to come out and get me. After about 1/2 an hour (it could have been less, but sitting in a waiting room, it seemed like forever), I was finally greeted by the next person who I would be dealing with. I was taken to another area of the building and sat in yet another area where the sales people do business with their clients. I looked around and saw candidate on the other side of the room being interviewed also. I sat down and finally had a 1:1. I was asked genearly questions about my experience and what types of skills I can bring to the position. Then I was asked about how I would react to different situations, which is typical of an interview, but the questions were basically repeated the whole time, just reworded. Not sure if that was on purpose or not. After the interview, I was asked if I had any questions about the position. I was wondering what the position would posibly pay (since I have bills to pay and a family to support). When I asked if they knew what the pay would be, the person looked stunned that I would ask. It's not like I asked rudely. I basically said that I was curious about the pay for the position and wondered if they would be able to tell me at this point. I was told that they had no idea about the pay and that was something that is offered down from corporate, but he guestimated that it would be something fair, like $10 or $11 per hour. FAIR? After the 1:1, I was done with this portion of the interview and was told someone would call me within the week to let me know what the decision would be. A week went by, no phone call. A few more days...no phone call. I went on vacation for a week and when I got home, I went through the mail and found a letter from Carmax. It was a "...thank you for interviewing, but we have found a more qualified candidate to fill the position..." letter. Pretty much what I had expected, but still frustrating all the same.

Interview Question – What is the most difficult situation you have had to deal with with your most recent job and what were the steps you took to resolve the situation?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in April 2011.

Interview Details – Question about past experience and customer service. Typical personality and behavioral test. Had three 1:1 interviews. 1st with a buyer, 2nd with senior buyer (who makes final hiring decision) and then gets purchasing manager approval with a last interview (usually just going over job description and pay).

Negotiation Details – No negotiation was possible.Take it or leave it.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!