CarMax Buyer In Training Interview Questions

Updated Mar 19, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boynton Beach, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at CarMax (Boynton Beach, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

first was a phone interview. it was al situational questions. I am not sure what the next step is. I am hoping for an interview with a manager next. I have been told its a three step process. First I had a series of emails. A recruiter saw my resume online and then sent an email. WEhen I responded he said a corp recruiter was going to email. She emailed the next day to set up a time for the phone interview. I am assuming only a few people move on after that.

Interview Questions

• can you tell me a time that you had to lead a team in a time of change. Have you ever been written up at work? why? What salary range are you looking for?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

First you start off with a phone interview and a couple days later I was called to do an in person interview. At that point I met with two Managers as they interviewed me at the same time. I did not get the job due to my poor qualifications for it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had a issue with difficult customer and how? what you did about it?   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview (10-15mins). General questions. Interviewer's first question was "Are you okay with making less than $40K? I don't have a way of offering more for the position, I have no control over that."

Usually interviewers don't ask that question, so my initial though is that this is going to be a low paying job. The position is a Training Position for a Buyer. Not a "Manager Buyer," position listed on their corporate website - which was very misleading.

My advice to you. Say what they want to hear and you'll get the job. It's an entry-level job, with below average pay. If you're going to act like your super happy and excited to work here...they will hire you, but you'll be taking a pay cut.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here, tell me about your self, simple basic filtering questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Long interview process plus computer hour testing. Total interview process was about 4 1/2 hours. You have to interview with 5 different leads. Friendly professional staff and I accepted the offer. CarMax is looking for hardworking individuals who understand how to offer exceptional customer service.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions are mostly behavioral base questions. What would you do in this scenario. Or tell me how you handled this situation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The purchase manager called me 5 days later with the offer.

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in October 2014.

Interview

first, you apply online, then you will get an email to do a online questionnaire....mostly behavioral questions. If they are interested in you, you will get an email to setup a telephone interview.
    On the phone interview, its the typical describe what you currently do, you know you are doing well when they proceed to ask you the "tell me a time when" questions. the whole telephone interview lasted 20-30 mins

Interview Questions

• what was your most difficult experience with your current job and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Interview

Can you say over kill? I've held several government and military positions all of which required security clearance. Let me tell you that's nothing compared to what CarMax asks of their applicant's. Wow. Phone interviews, several face to face, personality tests, background checks I've never even heard of! These people take themselves VERY seriously. Honestly the only people I can imagine being that systematic about recruiting "new members" is some kind of organized crime group?

Interview Questions

• Same questions worded differently over and over and over again.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Phone screen, followed by in store online interview. If you pass the online iterview, you will meet with 2 managers and answer a lot of " tell me about a time" questions. Be specific. If you pass here, you will meet with purchasing manager for more situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult customer you have had. Most difficult Co worker.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hillside, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CarMax (Hillside, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

Initial communication was with a recruiter in VA. She was awesome! Very friendly and personable and prepared me well for the face to face interview. The actual face to face interview came fairly quickly after the phone interview, but set aside about 4 hours. I first interviewed with 2 Senior Buyers, then another buyer took me on a tour of the facility, and then I interviewed with the buyer who took me on the tour as well as the Purchasing Manager. The interview was intense. Be prepared for Behavioral Interview Questions.Definately have specific examples ready - prepare for this interview using the STAR method. While intense, it was clear that the team was very approachable and happy to answer any questions you might have. I got the feeling that the people loved working there and had a ton of fun being there. I definately felt a good vibe!

Interview Questions

• Please tell us a time when...   1 Answer

While I would have loved to join the upbeat high energy environment, the pay being offered was lower than my current salaary so unfortunately I had to decline. But if you're entry level or looking to switch career paths, definately check out Carmax! I had a great interview process!

Anonymous Employee in Buena Park, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Buena Park, CA) in April 2014.

Interview

Initially got an email questionnaire, followed by a phone interview with a CarMax recruited that lasted 20-30 minutes. A few days later I was contacted to come in for an interview, which was grueling. I showed up at 10am, filled out some information about myself on their computer systems, later interviewed with two buyers in the department, after I took a test on the computer which wasn't very difficult, just tests your analytical and problem solving skills. This was followed by 3 more sets of interviews. All questions in each of the 4 interviews were the same, but re worded. The repetitive questions became draining towards the end and by the very last interview I was a mental mess, considering I hadn't eaten and had been waiting around most of the day since 10 am, and I didn't finish interviewing until 6pm!! Overall the company culture seemed good, employees seem very happy and get along well, based on my 6 hour observation...

Interview Questions

• Name a time you disagreed with a manager/coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

This process is super lengthy! The interviews are usually bundled into 2 separate ones with 2 people in each one and both sets in one day. This can equal about 3 hours give or take. Sometimes there is a lot of sitting around and waiting.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to be a buyer at Carmax? Answer this question by repeating a lot of what their website and job description says if you have l   1 Answer

Negotiation

There was no option to negotiate.