CarMax Buyer In Training Interview Questions

Updated Sep 3, 2014

3.5

29 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Buyer In Training Interview

Can you say over kill? I've held several government and military positions all of which required security clearance. Let me tell you that's nothing compared to what CarMax asks of their applicant's. Wow. Phone interviews, several face to face, personality tests, background checks I've never even heard of! These people take themselves VERY seriously. Honestly the only people I can imagine being that systematic about recruiting "new members" is some kind of organized crime group?

Interview Questions
  • Same questions worded differently over and over and over again.   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Phone screen, followed by in store online interview. If you pass the online iterview, you will meet with 2 managers and answer a lot of " tell me about a time" questions. Be specific. If you pass here, you will meet with purchasing manager for more situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult customer you have had. Most difficult Co worker.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Buena Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buena Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Initially got an email questionnaire, followed by a phone interview with a CarMax recruited that lasted 20-30 minutes. A few days later I was contacted to come in for an interview, which was grueling. I showed up at 10am, filled out some information about myself on their computer systems, later interviewed with two buyers in the department, after I took a test on the computer which wasn't very difficult, just tests your analytical and problem solving skills. This was followed by 3 more sets of interviews. All questions in each of the 4 interviews were the same, but re worded. The repetitive questions became draining towards the end and by the very last interview I was a mental mess, considering I hadn't eaten and had been waiting around most of the day since 10 am, and I didn't finish interviewing until 6pm!! Overall the company culture seemed good, employees seem very happy and get along well, based on my 6 hour observation...

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you disagreed with a manager/coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hillside, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Initial communication was with a recruiter in VA. She was awesome! Very friendly and personable and prepared me well for the face to face interview. The actual face to face interview came fairly quickly after the phone interview, but set aside about 4 hours. I first interviewed with 2 Senior Buyers, then another buyer took me on a tour of the facility, and then I interviewed with the buyer who took me on the tour as well as the Purchasing Manager. The interview was intense. Be prepared for Behavioral Interview Questions.Definately have specific examples ready - prepare for this interview using the STAR method. While intense, it was clear that the team was very approachable and happy to answer any questions you might have. I got the feeling that the people loved working there and had a ton of fun being there. I definately felt a good vibe!

Interview Questions

While I would have loved to join the upbeat high energy environment, the pay being offered was lower than my current salaary so unfortunately I had to decline. But if you're entry level or looking to switch career paths, definately check out Carmax! I had a great interview process!

Buyer In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

This process is super lengthy! The interviews are usually bundled into 2 separate ones with 2 people in each one and both sets in one day. This can equal about 3 hours give or take. Sometimes there is a lot of sitting around and waiting.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a buyer at Carmax? Answer this question by repeating a lot of what their website and job description says if you have l   View Answer
    There was no option to negotiate.

Buyer In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Panel Interviews mostly done with 2 people. Interviews are done by a senior buyer and another buyer who alternate back and forth to ask 4-6 open ended questions. Then after the first panel interview a second group will come in and do the same. If you are good a 3rd interview with a senior manager who makes the actual decision will come in and either ask the same type questions or will just chat.

Very easy just tell a story that answers what the situation was, what you did and why and how it ended.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time your opinion differs from a managers   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you led a group in a challenging task or project   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had you had to communicate a change to your team   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you missed a deadline on a project   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to get to the root cause of a difficult problem   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It's a take it of leave it offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online - interviewed at CarMax.

Applied On Line when position became available. 330 On Line Behavorial questions....nothing out of the ordinary but time consuming, make sure you set aside some time dedicated to answer. One hour phone interview with HR mostly behavorial questions. Email sent with about 10 questions. Face to face interview in front of 2 managers. All questions mostly behavorial.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time...... When did you have to confront a difficult......All standard interview questions   Answer Question

Hours and Pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dulles, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in July 2013.

Had a great phone interview within a week of applying and received a lot of great information about the company but just a standard "tell me about a time" interview. Followed up with an in person interview. The interviewer seemed annoyed and unprepared and very unorganized. He looked over my resume while I was sitting there and at one point had to have me explain it, though my resume was setup in a very simple standard and easy to follow. I turned down the job offer because I decided that if that was the location I would be working for I did not think it would be a good fit for me.

Interview Questions
    • Very straight forward questions but come prepared with a lot of specific examples of things you've accomplished or worked hard on.   Answer Question

The phone interviewer was great and professional but after talking to the people at the store I would be working at I decided that I would not fit in there.

Buyer In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in August 2013.

Applied online, got a follow up email 2 days later asking me to fill out a secondary interview. I scheduled a quick phone interview. Write down the questions the recruiter asks you. They are word-for-word the exact question your interviewer will ask you. After the phone interview you will be scheduled for an on site interview. This interview is for no reason way too long. 4 and a half hours. You show up and take a questioner, asking if your ever stolen or done drugs- of course you answer no. Then you wait. A manager pulls you into his office and asks you the same questions you just answered on the computer. Then you wait. Then you interview with 2 mangers. They ask you the same questions the phone interviewer asked you. Then you wait. Then they set you up with a SAT style aptitude test. Then the hiring manager gives you a cup and you literally take an on site drug test. You go on your marry way. I got an offer a little while later, but declined.

I got the appearance that CarMax is a cool low key place to work, but while I was in the office I saw the schedules for some of the buyers, One saturday off a month - never a Sunday. That did not turn me on. Let's be real, for a 35,000-40,000 / year job. I want alternating full weekend off. Also, I didn't really see a career in the company organization. There can be 10 buyers but only one senior buyer. Looks to me like you'll never getpromoted with those odds. I chose to look else where for employment

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dulles, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

First I was setup on a phone interview which lasted about an hour. A week later I received a call to setup an in person interview. The manager that interviewed me seemed confused and lost during the interview. He seemed like maybe it was his first interview though he said he had worked for the company for 16 years.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were about how you accomplished a task or worked with others and you'll need to be as specific as possible.   Answer Question

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!