CarMax Buyer In Training Interview Questions

Updated Aug 14, 2015

3.4

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

It is a lengthy interview process. The application is long, followed by a long questionnaire. Once you get a first interview, you fill out another questionnaire. Depending on your responses from that questionnaire you may have a pre interview to clear up answers before proceeding. There are at least 3 formal interviews before you meet with a district manager to give the final decision, but only once you have passed the long personality test you are given.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you took a risk.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time you had to make a decision that was not the popular one and what was the result?   Answer Question
  • Name a time when you went above and beyond.   Answer Question
  • Describe a time you had to resolve a conflict and what was the result?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Was told to a lot a few hours for the face to face interview. Arrived at 9am had the first test, then questioned by a manager. Waited a bit and took another computer exam and had a panel interview. Took a math test and then interviewed again by a panel. Was given a drug screening and told to come back on Friday to meet the purchasing manager.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time where you had to develop a team or individual.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in O'Fallon, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (O'Fallon, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and a phone interview was set up. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes after which I was told I would receive an e-mail with links to complete their online application and personality test. After doing so 2 days later I received an e-mail for a scheduled face to face interview. It asked me to bring several copies of me resume and to allot 2-4 hours. I arrived and waited. I then filled out an online survey there consenting to a back round check etc. I then had my interview with 1 person a senior buyer. Based on the fact that I was told I was going to meet "the team" and the fact that I was told to bring several copies of my resume I had expected to meet with several people. Such was not the case. The whole process took about an hour and 45 minutes. I honestly felt like the staff at the location I had my interview at had already made up their minds about me prior to the interview which was annoying as it felt like a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Tell me about a time when.....   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duarte, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. I interviewed at CarMax (Duarte, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I intially went in for sales consultant position. That process was about three hours i sat in the lobby for additional hour. A sales manager, which he was quite polite came and told me "im carmax material but im not ready for sales." He set me up to interview for buyers in training. So i interviewed for that. I was told i would recieve a call rather I got the job or not. And that was three weeks ago.

Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter. I interviewed at CarMax (Boynton Beach, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

first was a phone interview. it was al situational questions. I am not sure what the next step is. I am hoping for an interview with a manager next. I have been told its a three step process. First I had a series of emails. A recruiter saw my resume online and then sent an email. WEhen I responded he said a corp recruiter was going to email. She emailed the next day to set up a time for the phone interview. I am assuming only a few people move on after that.

Interview Questions

• can you tell me a time that you had to lead a team in a time of change. Have you ever been written up at work? why? What salary range are you looking for?   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

First you start off with a phone interview and a couple days later I was called to do an in person interview. At that point I met with two Managers as they interviewed me at the same time. I did not get the job due to my poor qualifications for it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had a issue with difficult customer and how? what you did about it?   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview (10-15mins). General questions. Interviewer's first question was "Are you okay with making less than $40K? I don't have a way of offering more for the position, I have no control over that." Usually interviewers don't ask that question, so my initial though is that this is going to be a low paying job. The position is a Training Position for a Buyer. Not a "Manager Buyer," position listed on their corporate website - which was very misleading. My advice to you. Say what they want to hear and you'll get the job. It's an entry-level job, with below average pay. If you're going to act like your super happy and excited to work here...they will hire you, but you'll be taking a pay cut.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here, tell me about your self, simple basic filtering questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Long interview process plus computer hour testing. Total interview process was about 4 1/2 hours. You have to interview with 5 different leads. Friendly professional staff and I accepted the offer. CarMax is looking for hardworking individuals who understand how to offer exceptional customer service.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions are mostly behavioral base questions. What would you do in this scenario. Or tell me how you handled this situation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The purchase manager called me 5 days later with the offer.

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in October 2014.

Interview

first, you apply online, then you will get an email to do a online questionnaire....mostly behavioral questions. If they are interested in you, you will get an email to setup a telephone interview. On the phone interview, its the typical describe what you currently do, you know you are doing well when they proceed to ask you the "tell me a time when" questions. the whole telephone interview lasted 20-30 mins

Interview Questions

• what was your most difficult experience with your current job and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Interview

Can you say over kill? I've held several government and military positions all of which required security clearance. Let me tell you that's nothing compared to what CarMax asks of their applicant's. Wow. Phone interviews, several face to face, personality tests, background checks I've never even heard of! These people take themselves VERY seriously. Honestly the only people I can imagine being that systematic about recruiting "new members" is some kind of organized crime group?

Interview Questions

• Same questions worded differently over and over and over again.   1 Answer