CarMax

Average Difficulty
28 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Dallas, TX

I applied through other source and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Phone screen, followed by in store online interview. If you pass the online iterview, you will meet with 2 managers and answer a lot of " tell me about a time" questions. Be specific. If you pass here, you will meet with purchasing manager for more situational questions.

Interview Question – Most difficult customer you have had. Most difficult Co worker.   View Answer

Buena Park, CA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Interview Details – Initially got an email questionnaire, followed by a phone interview with a CarMax recruited that lasted 20-30 minutes. A few days later I was contacted to come in for an interview, which was grueling. I showed up at 10am, filled out some information about myself on their computer systems, later interviewed with two buyers in the department, after I took a test on the computer which wasn't very difficult, just tests your analytical and problem solving skills. This was followed by 3 more sets of interviews. All questions in each of the 4 interviews were the same, but re worded. The repetitive questions became draining towards the end and by the very last interview I was a mental mess, considering I hadn't eaten and had been waiting around most of the day since 10 am, and I didn't finish interviewing until 6pm!! Overall the company culture seemed good, employees seem very happy and get along well, based on my 6 hour observation...

Interview Question – Name a time you disagreed with a manager/coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Hillside, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details – Initial communication was with a recruiter in VA. She was awesome! Very friendly and personable and prepared me well for the face to face interview. The actual face to face interview came fairly quickly after the phone interview, but set aside about 4 hours. I first interviewed with 2 Senior Buyers, then another buyer took me on a tour of the facility, and then I interviewed with the buyer who took me on the tour as well as the Purchasing Manager. The interview was intense. Be prepared for Behavioral Interview Questions.Definately have specific examples ready - prepare for this interview using the STAR method. While intense, it was clear that the team was very approachable and happy to answer any questions you might have. I got the feeling that the people loved working there and had a ton of fun being there. I definately felt a good vibe!

Interview Question – Please tell us a time when...   View Answer

Reason for Declining – While I would have loved to join the upbeat high energy environment, the pay being offered was lower than my current salaary so unfortunately I had to decline. But if you're entry level or looking to switch career paths, definately check out Carmax! I had a great interview process!

Buyer In Training

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – This process is super lengthy! The interviews are usually bundled into 2 separate ones with 2 people in each one and both sets in one day. This can equal about 3 hours give or take. Sometimes there is a lot of sitting around and waiting.

Interview Question – Why do you want to be a buyer at Carmax? Answer this question by repeating a lot of what their website and job description says if you have l   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There was no option to negotiate.

Buyer In Training

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Panel Interviews mostly done with 2 people. Interviews are done by a senior buyer and another buyer who alternate back and forth to ask 4-6 open ended questions. Then after the first panel interview a second group will come in and do the same. If you are good a 3rd interview with a senior manager who makes the actual decision will come in and either ask the same type questions or will just chat.

Very easy just tell a story that answers what the situation was, what you did and why and how it ended.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time your opinion differs from a managers   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you led a group in a challenging task or project   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had you had to communicate a change to your team   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you missed a deadline on a project   Answer Question
  • Tell me about a time you had to get to the root cause of a difficult problem   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation. It's a take it of leave it offer.

Kansas City, MO

I applied online and interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Applied On Line when position became available. 330 On Line Behavorial questions....nothing out of the ordinary but time consuming, make sure you set aside some time dedicated to answer. One hour phone interview with HR mostly behavorial questions. Email sent with about 10 questions. Face to face interview in front of 2 managers. All questions mostly behavorial.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time...... When did you have to confront a difficult......All standard interview questions   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Hours and Pay

Dulles, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in July 2013.

Interview Details – Had a great phone interview within a week of applying and received a lot of great information about the company but just a standard "tell me about a time" interview. Followed up with an in person interview. The interviewer seemed annoyed and unprepared and very unorganized. He looked over my resume while I was sitting there and at one point had to have me explain it, though my resume was setup in a very simple standard and easy to follow. I turned down the job offer because I decided that if that was the location I would be working for I did not think it would be a good fit for me.

Interview Question – Very straight forward questions but come prepared with a lot of specific examples of things you've accomplished or worked hard on.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – The phone interviewer was great and professional but after talking to the people at the store I would be working at I decided that I would not fit in there.

Buyer In Training

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in August 2013.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a follow up email 2 days later asking me to fill out a secondary interview. I scheduled a quick phone interview. Write down the questions the recruiter asks you. They are word-for-word the exact question your interviewer will ask you. After the phone interview you will be scheduled for an on site interview. This interview is for no reason way too long. 4 and a half hours. You show up and take a questioner, asking if your ever stolen or done drugs- of course you answer no. Then you wait. A manager pulls you into his office and asks you the same questions you just answered on the computer. Then you wait. Then you interview with 2 mangers. They ask you the same questions the phone interviewer asked you. Then you wait. Then they set you up with a SAT style aptitude test. Then the hiring manager gives you a cup and you literally take an on site drug test. You go on your marry way. I got an offer a little while later, but declined.

I got the appearance that CarMax is a cool low key place to work, but while I was in the office I saw the schedules for some of the buyers, One saturday off a month - never a Sunday. That did not turn me on. Let's be real, for a 35,000-40,000 / year job. I want alternating full weekend off. Also, I didn't really see a career in the company organization. There can be 10 buyers but only one senior buyer. Looks to me like you'll never getpromoted with those odds. I chose to look else where for employment

Interview Question – Almost all Customer Service behavioral questions.   Answer Question

Dulles, VA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – First I was setup on a phone interview which lasted about an hour. A week later I received a call to setup an in person interview. The manager that interviewed me seemed confused and lost during the interview. He seemed like maybe it was his first interview though he said he had worked for the company for 16 years.

Interview Question – Most questions were about how you accomplished a task or worked with others and you'll need to be as specific as possible.   Answer Question

Buyer In Training

I applied through other source and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Once you apply typically a buyer will call you and set up an interview. You'll be interviewed by a buyer and sales manager first. if they like you they will set up another interview right away with a senior buyer and purchasing manager. From there you pretty much got the job

Interview Question – All the questions are pretty much the same, just worded differently, All customer service situations and management questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I was able to negotiate, but if you don't have and retail management experience don't expect to get more than 35,000. once you get promoted they give you an additional 5,000. which is non-negotiable.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!