CarMax

3.5

31 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in October 2014.

Long interview process plus computer hour testing. Total interview process was about 4 1/2 hours. You have to interview with 5 different leads. Friendly professional staff and I accepted the offer. CarMax is looking for hardworking individuals who understand how to offer exceptional customer service.

Interview Questions
  • Interview questions are mostly behavioral base questions. What would you do in this scenario. Or tell me how you handled this situation.   View Answer
The purchase manager called me 5 days later with the offer.

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Buyer In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in October 2014.

first, you apply online, then you will get an email to do a online questionnaire....mostly behavioral questions. If they are interested in you, you will get an email to setup a telephone interview.
    On the phone interview, its the typical describe what you currently do, you know you are doing well when they proceed to ask you the "tell me a time when" questions. the whole telephone interview lasted 20-30 mins

Interview Questions
    • what was your most difficult experience with your current job and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Can you say over kill? I've held several government and military positions all of which required security clearance. Let me tell you that's nothing compared to what CarMax asks of their applicant's. Wow. Phone interviews, several face to face, personality tests, background checks I've never even heard of! These people take themselves VERY seriously. Honestly the only people I can imagine being that systematic about recruiting "new members" is some kind of organized crime group?

Interview Questions
    • Same questions worded differently over and over and over again.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Phone screen, followed by in store online interview. If you pass the online iterview, you will meet with 2 managers and answer a lot of " tell me about a time" questions. Be specific. If you pass here, you will meet with purchasing manager for more situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult customer you have had. Most difficult Co worker.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Initial communication was with a recruiter in VA. She was awesome! Very friendly and personable and prepared me well for the face to face interview. The actual face to face interview came fairly quickly after the phone interview, but set aside about 4 hours. I first interviewed with 2 Senior Buyers, then another buyer took me on a tour of the facility, and then I interviewed with the buyer who took me on the tour as well as the Purchasing Manager. The interview was intense. Be prepared for Behavioral Interview Questions.Definately have specific examples ready - prepare for this interview using the STAR method. While intense, it was clear that the team was very approachable and happy to answer any questions you might have. I got the feeling that the people loved working there and had a ton of fun being there. I definately felt a good vibe!

Interview Questions

While I would have loved to join the upbeat high energy environment, the pay being offered was lower than my current salaary so unfortunately I had to decline. But if you're entry level or looking to switch career paths, definately check out Carmax! I had a great interview process!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buena Park, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Buena Park, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Initially got an email questionnaire, followed by a phone interview with a CarMax recruited that lasted 20-30 minutes. A few days later I was contacted to come in for an interview, which was grueling. I showed up at 10am, filled out some information about myself on their computer systems, later interviewed with two buyers in the department, after I took a test on the computer which wasn't very difficult, just tests your analytical and problem solving skills. This was followed by 3 more sets of interviews. All questions in each of the 4 interviews were the same, but re worded. The repetitive questions became draining towards the end and by the very last interview I was a mental mess, considering I hadn't eaten and had been waiting around most of the day since 10 am, and I didn't finish interviewing until 6pm!! Overall the company culture seemed good, employees seem very happy and get along well, based on my 6 hour observation...

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you disagreed with a manager/coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

This process is super lengthy! The interviews are usually bundled into 2 separate ones with 2 people in each one and both sets in one day. This can equal about 3 hours give or take. Sometimes there is a lot of sitting around and waiting.

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to be a buyer at Carmax? Answer this question by repeating a lot of what their website and job description says if you have l   View Answer
    There was no option to negotiate.

Buyer In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

Panel Interviews mostly done with 2 people. Interviews are done by a senior buyer and another buyer who alternate back and forth to ask 4-6 open ended questions. Then after the first panel interview a second group will come in and do the same. If you are good a 3rd interview with a senior manager who makes the actual decision will come in and either ask the same type questions or will just chat.

Very easy just tell a story that answers what the situation was, what you did and why and how it ended.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time your opinion differs from a managers   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you led a group in a challenging task or project   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had you had to communicate a change to your team   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you missed a deadline on a project   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you had to get to the root cause of a difficult problem   Answer Question
    No negotiation. It's a take it of leave it offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kansas City, MO

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Applied On Line when position became available. 330 On Line Behavorial questions....nothing out of the ordinary but time consuming, make sure you set aside some time dedicated to answer. One hour phone interview with HR mostly behavorial questions. Email sent with about 10 questions. Face to face interview in front of 2 managers. All questions mostly behavorial.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time...... When did you have to confront a difficult......All standard interview questions   Answer Question

Hours and Pay

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dulles, VA

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

First I was setup on a phone interview which lasted about an hour. A week later I received a call to setup an in person interview. The manager that interviewed me seemed confused and lost during the interview. He seemed like maybe it was his first interview though he said he had worked for the company for 16 years.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were about how you accomplished a task or worked with others and you'll need to be as specific as possible.   Answer Question