CarMax Buyer In Training Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (O'Fallon, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and a phone interview was set up. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes after which I was told I would receive an e-mail with links to complete their online application and personality test. After doing so 2 days later I received an e-mail for a scheduled face to face interview. It asked me to bring several copies of me resume and to allot 2-4 hours. I arrived and waited. I then filled out an online survey there consenting to a back round check etc. I then had my interview with 1 person a senior buyer. Based on the fact that I was told I was going to meet "the team" and the fact that I was told to bring several copies of my resume I had expected to meet with several people. Such was not the case. The whole process took about an hour and 45 minutes. I honestly felt like the staff at the location I had my interview at had already made up their minds about me prior to the interview which was annoying as it felt like a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Tell me about a time when.....   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Employee in Duarte, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at CarMax (Duarte, CA) in May 2015.

Interview

I intially went in for sales consultant position. That process was about three hours i sat in the lobby for additional hour. A sales manager, which he was quite polite came and told me "im carmax material but im not ready for sales." He set me up to interview for buyers in training. So i interviewed for that. I was told i would recieve a call rather I got the job or not. And that was three weeks ago.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boynton Beach, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at CarMax (Boynton Beach, FL) in March 2015.

Interview

first was a phone interview. it was al situational questions. I am not sure what the next step is. I am hoping for an interview with a manager next. I have been told its a three step process. First I had a series of emails. A recruiter saw my resume online and then sent an email. WEhen I responded he said a corp recruiter was going to email. She emailed the next day to set up a time for the phone interview. I am assuming only a few people move on after that.

Interview Questions

• can you tell me a time that you had to lead a team in a time of change. Have you ever been written up at work? why? What salary range are you looking for?   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

First you start off with a phone interview and a couple days later I was called to do an in person interview. At that point I met with two Managers as they interviewed me at the same time. I did not get the job due to my poor qualifications for it.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a situation when you had a issue with difficult customer and how? what you did about it?   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

Interview

Phone interview (10-15mins). General questions. Interviewer's first question was "Are you okay with making less than $40K? I don't have a way of offering more for the position, I have no control over that." Usually interviewers don't ask that question, so my initial though is that this is going to be a low paying job. The position is a Training Position for a Buyer. Not a "Manager Buyer," position listed on their corporate website - which was very misleading. My advice to you. Say what they want to hear and you'll get the job. It's an entry-level job, with below average pay. If you're going to act like your super happy and excited to work here...they will hire you, but you'll be taking a pay cut.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here, tell me about your self, simple basic filtering questions.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax (Los Angeles, CA) in October 2014.

Interview

Long interview process plus computer hour testing. Total interview process was about 4 1/2 hours. You have to interview with 5 different leads. Friendly professional staff and I accepted the offer. CarMax is looking for hardworking individuals who understand how to offer exceptional customer service.

Interview Questions

• Interview questions are mostly behavioral base questions. What would you do in this scenario. Or tell me how you handled this situation.   1 Answer

Negotiation

The purchase manager called me 5 days later with the offer.

Buyer In Training Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in October 2014.

Interview

first, you apply online, then you will get an email to do a online questionnaire....mostly behavioral questions. If they are interested in you, you will get an email to setup a telephone interview. On the phone interview, its the typical describe what you currently do, you know you are doing well when they proceed to ask you the "tell me a time when" questions. the whole telephone interview lasted 20-30 mins

Interview Questions

• what was your most difficult experience with your current job and how did you handle it   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Interview

Can you say over kill? I've held several government and military positions all of which required security clearance. Let me tell you that's nothing compared to what CarMax asks of their applicant's. Wow. Phone interviews, several face to face, personality tests, background checks I've never even heard of! These people take themselves VERY seriously. Honestly the only people I can imagine being that systematic about recruiting "new members" is some kind of organized crime group?

Interview Questions

• Same questions worded differently over and over and over again.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

Application

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Dallas, TX).

Interview

Phone screen, followed by in store online interview. If you pass the online iterview, you will meet with 2 managers and answer a lot of " tell me about a time" questions. Be specific. If you pass here, you will meet with purchasing manager for more situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Most difficult customer you have had. Most difficult Co worker.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Hillside, IL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CarMax (Hillside, IL) in May 2014.

Interview

Initial communication was with a recruiter in VA. She was awesome! Very friendly and personable and prepared me well for the face to face interview. The actual face to face interview came fairly quickly after the phone interview, but set aside about 4 hours. I first interviewed with 2 Senior Buyers, then another buyer took me on a tour of the facility, and then I interviewed with the buyer who took me on the tour as well as the Purchasing Manager. The interview was intense. Be prepared for Behavioral Interview Questions.Definately have specific examples ready - prepare for this interview using the STAR method. While intense, it was clear that the team was very approachable and happy to answer any questions you might have. I got the feeling that the people loved working there and had a ton of fun being there. I definately felt a good vibe!

Interview Questions

• Please tell us a time when...   1 Answer

While I would have loved to join the upbeat high energy environment, the pay being offered was lower than my current salaary so unfortunately I had to decline. But if you're entry level or looking to switch career paths, definately check out Carmax! I had a great interview process!