CarMax Buyer Interview Questions

Updated Mar 9, 2015
Updated Mar 9, 2015

3.2

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Be prepared to spend the majority of your day at the interview. It involves an online assessment to evaluate the candidate as a right fit for Carmax. The first interview is similar to a preliminary screening. Some positions require a emulation after that interview. The second (assuming you make it) will be follow up questions that the first interviewer was not totally satisfied with. The third (should you have one) is normally an interview with a senior manager. This will normally mean you are good to go. You will take a drug test on site.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Interview process for a Buyer in Training is very lengthy. 2 long questionnaires and 3 interviews. Interviews are performed by Buyers, Sr. Buyers, Purchasing Mgr, and Regional Vice President.

Interview Questions

• "Tell me about a time you took a calculated risk."   1 Answer

Negotiation

It is next to impossible to negotiate a salary. They pay you what they feel you ate worth based on the experience you bring to the table. It also depends on the manager.

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CarMax (Knoxville, TN) in May 2011.

Interview

Applied online. Had to take a personality test, took 1.5 hours. Was called a few days later to conduct a phone interview. Phone interview went very well. Was setup to interview with members of the buying team at the location a week later. The guys were really nice and friendly . However, they didn't look professional at all, they wore shorts and running shoes. The whole interview process was very unprofessional, discouraging and above all, misleading. They lead you on thinking the interview went perfect. They used comments like "that was a perfect answer, couldn't have answered it better myself" and the most misleading statement you can expect to hear is, "you are perfect for the job". When you leave the interview you will feel like you have the job in the bag and it is yours for the taking!! This delusion will end with an email within a few days, letting you know they went with someone else.
    The problem is you are interviewed by the team members who (if you get the job) you will compete with to get promoted. These are the same group who has to sign off on your hiring . This is, the what I believe to be the main problem with Carmax's hiring process. Why would the team want to hire someone that is better educated, and more experienced than they are? This leads to, what I believe to be a hiring process that will only acquire, sub-par and incompetent employees, that won't be a challenge to the existing team.
    Carmax interviews numerous people (who they have no intention of hiring) to satisfy their interview quota policy. Unless you have a buddy that works there, (like i do now) you have ZERO chance of getting hired, sorry.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to make a hard decision quickly?   Answer Question
    • name a time when you have to discipline an employee and what did you do to make them a better employee?   Answer Question

Buyer Interview

Application

The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Roseville, CA) in November 2009.

Interview

It consisted of an easy phone interview, an easy computer test, 1:1 interview, a couple group interviews that were pretty difficult, then a 1:1 with the regional VP that was more a personality interview to see how well you could communicate. Great culture with a clean environment. They called me a couple days after and offered me a starting salary at $45,00 which I immediately accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you put yourself in a leadership role and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • Tell me how you build rapport with other departments?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Didn't negotiate