CarMax

Average Difficulty
3 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Buyer

I applied in-person and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Interview process for a Buyer in Training is very lengthy. 2 long questionnaires and 3 interviews. Interviews are performed by Buyers, Sr. Buyers, Purchasing Mgr, and Regional Vice President.

Interview Question – "Tell me about a time you took a calculated risk."   View Answer

Negotiation Details – It is next to impossible to negotiate a salary. They pay you what they feel you ate worth based on the experience you bring to the table. It also depends on the manager.

Knoxville, TN

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax in May 2011.

Interview Details – Applied online. Had to take a personality test, took 1.5 hours. Was called a few days later to conduct a phone interview. Phone interview went very well. Was setup to interview with members of the buying team at the location a week later. The guys were really nice and friendly . However, they didn't look professional at all, they wore shorts and running shoes. The whole interview process was very unprofessional, discouraging and above all, misleading. They lead you on thinking the interview went perfect. They used comments like "that was a perfect answer, couldn't have answered it better myself" and the most misleading statement you can expect to hear is, "you are perfect for the job". When you leave the interview you will feel like you have the job in the bag and it is yours for the taking!! This delusion will end with an email within a few days, letting you know they went with someone else.
The problem is you are interviewed by the team members who (if you get the job) you will compete with to get promoted. These are the same group who has to sign off on your hiring . This is, the what I believe to be the main problem with Carmax's hiring process. Why would the team want to hire someone that is better educated, and more experienced than they are? This leads to, what I believe to be a hiring process that will only acquire, sub-par and incompetent employees, that won't be a challenge to the existing team.
Carmax interviews numerous people (who they have no intention of hiring) to satisfy their interview quota policy. Unless you have a buddy that works there, (like i do now) you have ZERO chance of getting hired, sorry.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you had to make a hard decision quickly?   Answer Question
  • name a time when you have to discipline an employee and what did you do to make them a better employee?   Answer Question

Roseville, CA

The process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax in November 2009.

Interview Details – It consisted of an easy phone interview, an easy computer test, 1:1 interview, a couple group interviews that were pretty difficult, then a 1:1 with the regional VP that was more a personality interview to see how well you could communicate. Great culture with a clean environment. They called me a couple days after and offered me a starting salary at $45,00 which I immediately accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time you put yourself in a leadership role and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
  • Tell me how you build rapport with other departments?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Didn't negotiate

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!