CarMax Buyers Assistant Interview Questions

Updated Mar 24, 2015

2.6

Buyer's Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Longest and most unprofessional interview I've ever gone through.
Arrived 10 minutes early.
Waited for 30 minutes for HR to come out and start.
Took a questionnaire, "have I killed anyone," etc.
Verified my resume information.
Waited 30 minutes for Buyer's manager to come interview me.
He asked poor situational questions. "What would you do if...?" Common sense answers.
Waited for another 30 minutes for the department manager to come out.
He asked random questions about my past work experience. "What did you do at...?"
I asked some questions.
Interview complete.
I spent over 2 1/2 hours for this interview and the vast majority of the time was spent waiting. I've had plenty of interview and I have never been jerked around this much. I got an offer the next week but declined for two reasons. I could never work at a company that did that to their employees and the pay was horrid for the work.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Buyer Assistant Interview

Application

interviewed at CarMax in November 2014.

Interview

The first interview was over the phone. They called me a month after I applied online. It's best to just get ready and expect a call from them (I had to snap into business mode because I didn't expect a phone interview LOL). Here they asked me about my background to make sure I was a good fit for the position. At the end of the call, they scheduled a face-to-face interview later that week. During my face-to face, I was interviewed by 2 buyers. They started off with introductions - how long they've been with the company, what position they started out with, etc. The interview consisted of 7 situational questions. From what I remember, "Tell us about a situtation... 1) where you went above and beyond; 2) when you had a conflict with a coworker; 3) when/if you had to break the rules; 4) with a unsatisfied customer; 5) when you had to deal with stress/pressure; 6) when you multi-tasked; 7) where you needed to make a good first impression. They were overall very professional and friendly. Always think STAR (Situation, Task, Action, Result) when you answer situational questions. Be detailed, but don't ramble.

Buyer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in June 2014.

Interview

It seemed to take forever. I showed up 10 minutes early and they sat me down at a CBT and I answered about a dozen questions online. They said someone would be in, so I waited about 15 minutes then decided to let someone know I was finished. Another 15 minutes passed and I got up and asked someone who appeared to be more in charge. Finally someone came in and had a print out of the questions I had answered online and verified what I said was true and I had to sign it. Away he went and I waited another 10 minutes. Another interviewer came in for about 5 "have you ever been in a situation" questions. After this, I waited for another 10 minutes and the Senior Buyer came in and asked 10 more "Describe a situtuation where..." questions. Following this, the interview was done and they said they would let me know within a week.

Interview Questions

• Describe a situation where you had to make a difficult decision.... all questions were like this.   1 Answer

Buyer Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Interview

Found an ad online for hiring. It was a lengthy online application and had many behavioral questions. After finishing the application received a confirmation email saying thank you and due to high volume of applicants we reply to those who best fit our needs and will hold your application for 60 days. I received a call the next day and was very surprised. Did a 15 minute phone interview some behavioral and experience questions also asked what I knew of the company. The man was easy to talk to and took his time to answer my questions as well.. I was invited for a face to face the next week. My best advice is always dress professionally no matter what the company uniform will be. I wore a navy blue skirt suit with fresh make up and my hair pulled back with small closed toe heels. I knew instantly walking in I wanted to work there. Everyone was so friendly and easy to talk to. A great overall positive vibe with happy people . Short computer questionnaire then met with a man for an interview. Mostly behavioral and he followed a company prompt, which I liked. After talking with him for about 20 minutes he sent another person over to do another interview. More behavioral questions and they wrote your answers down. Be yourself, this is key. Relax and be honest. I had a great experience and can't wait to be apart of the team. It's always good to have questions for them and to do some research on the company.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Things such as describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer, difficult situations and how you handled them. Be familiar with the STAR method.   Answer Question

Negotiation

Base pay starting out but happy with it. There seems to be a lot of room for growth in this company.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax (Roseville, CA).

Interview

This was a few years ago but I remember applying online and then getting a call. It was one interview, with 2 managers if I remember correctly. There was a urine drug screening. The person comes to the bathroom with you. My lady didn't actually stand in the stall with me but now-a-days that might have changed, who knows!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. I was young and happy to have the job.

Buyer's Assistant Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in September 2013.

Interview

Applied for a position after being referred to CarMax, within 2 days I was contacted by CarMax to come in for an interview. Immediately, I sensed that everyone at the store was happy to be a CarMax employee. I met with the HR person who led me to a computer where I verified that the information I had typed on the online application was correct. Additionally, I filled out more e-forms on background checks, release forms, etc. (typical HR stuff). Afterwards, I was told to wait in the sitting area to meet with a person from the purchasing department (I repeated this "wait in sitting area to meet so-and-so" 5 times--most annoying part of the interview). The first person came and enthusiastically introduced himself, asked how my day was, etc. while walking me to a room near where the computers were (leaving me to ask why I wasn't asked to wait in this room to begin with). They asked questions about my ALL of my previous employers what I did, how long I was there, why I left, why I didn't include them on my resume (as if I thought I had to include a job I worked at when I was 15 years old). Afterwards, I went back to the sitting room and waiting for the next person. This time 2 people came and introduced themselves, they asked typical interview questions from a sheet of paper. Back to the sitting room, waited for the next 2 people. Asked more interview questions from a sheet of paper. Back to the sitting room, waited for 1 more person. Finished. 2 days later I was called with a job offer. After accepting, I came in a few days later for a urine sample and started roughly 2 weeks after that.

Interview Questions

• All of the questions were extremely easy. If you Google "behavioral interview questions" and can confidently answer those, you'll do well. However, the most unexpected question were the questions about my previous employers, the interviewer made it seem like this was crucial and kept reminding me to be as truthful as possible, which made me nervous since I usually don't remember start/end dates.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. In the interview process, they were very adamant that everyone started at the same rate. I do wish I had tried to negotiate before accepting the offer just to see what would happen.

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Sterling, VA) in June 2013.

Interview

Had a PRE-Interview by Telephone... VERY unprofessional, and highly reliant on an unrehearsed script. Several times I asked for a clarification of what was being asked only to hear keys clattering in the background. On one occasion the response was I can't there is no right or wrong answer. Which is fine, but what happens when the question does not make sense? My impression was the person who was interviewing me was blurring several questions together and not paying attention. At the end of this weird interview I was told I would be called back to set up an in person interview. The rejection letter was sent LESS that 3 minutes of the conversation ending. I have the cell phone record and date E-mail to prove this.

Interview Questions

• This is an approximation of one question...
      "Can you give an example where working as a team negatively affected a sale but the customer came back and worked with another associate who succeeded with the sale? and what did you do to resolve the problem"?

2 Answers

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Nashville, TN).

Interview

The day after submitting an application online I received a phone call to set up a phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed and had a very conversational feel to it and some rather general questions were asked. The phone interview lasted about 15 to 20 minutes and ended with the interviewer asking me to come in for an in-person interview later that week. It was cllear when I arrived that they were interviewing dozens of candidates for numerous positions all on the same day. I was interviewed several times throughout the course of the day by various people all of whom were reading from a questionnaire and jotting down my answers.

Buyers Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Costa Mesa, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax (Costa Mesa, CA).

Interview

There was a tour than the interviews. The interview felt like an interrogation; don't be fooled by their kindness it's all an act. They kept repeating how they were a fortune 500 company and how 1 in 40 gets hired; so what? I use to work for a bigger company than them. Just remember tell them what they want to hear; they are trained to interrogate you to find any reason to dismiss you.

Anonymous Employee in Nashville, TN

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Nashville, TN) in October 2011.

Interview

Everyone was very friendly and I enjoyed the experience. A few hours after submitting my application online I received a call from the hiring manager to set up a time for a phone interview. The phone interview was very relaxed and conversational and at the end I was invited to come in for an interview in person. The in person interview consisted of two separate interviews where I was asked basic situational questions.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you were faced with an unhappy customer   Answer Question