CarMax Detailer Interview Questions

Updated Jul 18, 2015

2.6

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Nashville, TN) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for the detailer position at a local Carmax. I went in with high hopes because this is something that I enjoy doing. A lady came and got me, took me to an office where I filled out a questionnaire on how many times I have taken stuff from a company, how many times I do drugs at work, etc. I am clean as a whistle so, it didn't take that long. Later, another lady came and got me. We went to another office where she read me a series of questions verbatim, while she took a few notes. This lady was very attentive. She was the maintenance supervisor. Then a man came and got me and we went to yet another office for more questions. He was a sales manager. He sat at the desk facing me and the windows behind me. He would ask me a question about my previous employment and, then he would zone out like he was watching what was going on on the sales floor. He did this on every question. He did take notes on a couple of the questions but, it was like he was just going through the motions. It was like I was wasting his time. After we were finished, he told me that Carmax would contact me by email on whether or not I got the job. The very next day, I got the email saying Thanks but No Thanks. It was like they were not even wanting to hire someone who has a passion for this position. That position would have been a great fit for me. I think I could have shined (no pun intended) in that position. I think there would have been growth opportunities with paint and body work in the future.

Interview Questions

• There were not any question that were out of the ordinary. It seemed like they were afraid that someone would do drugs and steal a car from them rather than finding an honest hard working employee for the position. It seemed like that they wanted every little tidbit of information on my background right down to the zip code that I was at 7 years ago.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Norcross, GA) in August 2014.

Interview

Three part interview taken by three different managers. They ask you many different question that you have to say the best answer or something that they can relate to. These are all question into being reliable and loss prevention. All question of what would you do and how could you relate. This is not hard just answer to the best of your ability. I am sure you will know the right thing to say all though it may not always be what you actually do.

Interview Questions

• Q: What would you do if you saw a co worker doing something they should not   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax (Orlando, FL) in April 2013.

Interview

applied for Detailer night time shift online and got a call the next day. I was asked for an appropriate time for them to call back for a 10 question phone interview the following day. so the next day they never called.

Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

Phone interview followed by in person interview followed by a hiring process of 8 hours in front of a screen doing online Carmax Safety, Certifications, and Acknowledgement courses. Very thorough indeed. Only 1 in 10 people get hired there but they are growing rapidly so it is easy to get hired on into the company.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation. They only have one offer of 10.88/hr base, 11.88/hr flagged.

Detailer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax in May 2010.

Interview

I had a person call and did and interview and then they said they would be in touch. Does this mean I got hired?