CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2014
Updated Oct 18, 2014

Strategy Analyst Interview

Resume drop through my career center. Step 1 was an online math and calculations exam. Step 2 was a behavioral/case interview. Step 3 was a super day at the headquarters

Interview Questions
    • Business Case, not exactly management consulting style, more geared towards understanding concepts and calculations   Answer Question

Operations Manager Trainee Interview

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at CarMax.

Excessive situation questions that are repeated again and again. Too many people involved in the hiring process. Constant changes in appointments for interviews. Many promises made, and did not share about all of the boards you must go through for any placement

Management Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CarMax in October 2014.

Applied on-line on over the weekend and received a call back that following Monday. I did a brief phone interview that lasted about 15 minutes and then, I was scheduled for an in-person interview that Wednesday. I filled out an online interview questionnaire on the computer which consisted of background/criminal history questions. After, I met with a sales manager who went over the information I filled out online. After, another manager came in and conducted the interview. He asked me several questions that were formatted in the S.T.A.R method (Situation, Task, Action, Result)... How do you handle multiple tasks in a short time? Tell me about a time when you went above and beyond to help out a customer?...etc. The manager stated that they were still interviewing other candidates and once a decision is made I would be contacted (which was the reason I selected "no offer made"). I never got the opportunity to ask any questions which was disappointing because the interview felt like it was rushed.

Interview Questions
    • S.T.A.R Method Interview....Familiarize yourself with these type of questions because most interviews are based of them. I didn't find that they were hard questions to answer because I was prepared for it.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

There are multiple interviews. One phone interview, an in person interview and then the final in person interview is with multiple people from multiple departments within the store location. That final interview will take at least 4 hours of your day, so be prepared to be there for a while if you reach that point in the process

Interview Questions
    • Describe an experience where you had to make an sale to an unsatisfied customer   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laramie, WY
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laramie, WY

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in September 2014.

I applied online at the Carmax website. It took about 2 hours to do the online application, which consists of basic info - you know, all the normal stuff companies ask. What I did not expect was about 90 minutes worth of questions all centered on whether or not you are in this for yourself, or for the team. They ask the same questions again and again on different screens, just worded slightly different. After that, I received a phone call and an email within 2 days. They seemed interested in talking to me, and wanted to set up an on-site interview. They explained that they do their hiring in August and September, and my arrival date of around the 25th of September 2014 was a little late in the game, but doable. So we set up an on-site interview. They sent me an email with an explanation of what I could expect. The take away here is that they want you to study one of 3 vehicles that they present to you - and be prepared to talk to a mock client about that vehicle in a sales exercise when you are interviewed. Only study model years newer than about 6 years old because you won't find cars older than that on a Carmax lot. They also give you some steps they will expect you to go through in selling a vehicle. Don't skip a step, there are only 3. Practice this in your mind a few times. Then do that again. I wanted to "look the part" right away, so I dressed like a Carmax employee when I went in for the interview. I wore my Dockers shoes, khaki pants and a navy blue polo shirt. I was clean shaven, and had a fresh haircut. If you make it hard for them to tell if you "clean up well" you will not get a serious look and will probably feel rather dismissed after the process. When I went in for the interview I knew what to expect, because by this time, I had discovered this website. My first order of business was to fill out on a computer another questionnaire regarding my arrest record, drug use, and general questions trying to poke holes in my integrity. Before doing this, I was briefed that everyone stumbles once and awhile, and that by revealing those stumbles it would not, by itself, make me non-employable by Carmax. They stressed how important it was that I was honest, because they intended on doing some digging. They foot stomped questions regarding whether or not you ever knew an employee you had worked with before that was doing drugs, and what you did about it. It is probably pretty obvious what they want your answer to be. Don't screw this up. The first face to face I had was with two management trainees that were apparently practicing their interview skills and using me as a guinea pig. They will look at your results from the computer based questions that you just answered, and they will try to get you to elaborate. Just be honest here. From there, their notes will be passed up one level on their management ladder, and you will sit for about 15 minutes or so while they talk it over before being called in for round #2. Round #2 is with actual assistant managers (usually) and they will ask you all kinds of "STAR" related questions (Situation - Task - Action - Response) things. "Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer" is a good representation of what they might (or did) ask. Try to recall all the positive experiences you have had helping customers over the years, and use those examples. They asked me about how I would handle a difficult customer, or a customer with a complaint, and I told them about my "taking the HEAT" process. 1) Hear them out 2) Empathize with the customer 3) Apologize for the incident, and 4) Take responsibility for fixing it. They liked that. After round #2, I was told it was time for my sales exercise. But first, they had a 5 minute video they wanted me to watch in a room by myself. The video was less than 90 seconds and basically it recapped the email they sent me a week or so prior regarding the proper steps in selling a vehicle to a customer. When I came out of the office, they were ready for me. After a moment or two getting situated, we went right into it. I took about 4 min to go through all the steps and offer to give the customer a test drive (don't forget this), and offer to take the individual inside and complete the paperwork. Then I was told that the next step was an interview with the store manager, but that he was out of town on business. So we set up another appointment for a few days later, shook hands and parted ways. By the time my next interview was set up, I had not received the "it won't work out" phone call or email, so I went in. This might happen to you also, so don't burn any bridges while you wait for the call or email. The last step went well - the manager had a few other questions for me like "what makes you think you would be successful at this job?" I was then offered a position, and was led to the bathroom to pee in a cup.

Interview Questions
    • "What makes you think you would be successful at this job?" Or, "How would you handle a difficult customer?"   Answer Question
    There really is no negotiation - you are offered $12.00 per hour for the training phase (which lasts about 4-6 weeks depending on how fast you pick it up), and are given a corporate sales compensation sheet outlining how much you will get for commission for each part of the sale. You get raises for selling more vehicles and being moved into a higher level of their "Presidents club." So basically if you are good at your job, you will make a better wage. But you need to do so ENSURING that you are a team player and not sniping sales.

Buyer In Training Interview

Can you say over kill? I've held several government and military positions all of which required security clearance. Let me tell you that's nothing compared to what CarMax asks of their applicant's. Wow. Phone interviews, several face to face, personality tests, background checks I've never even heard of! These people take themselves VERY seriously. Honestly the only people I can imagine being that systematic about recruiting "new members" is some kind of organized crime group?

Interview Questions
    • Same questions worded differently over and over and over again.   View Answer

Purchasing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CarMax.

phone interview followed by a series of panel interviews with behavioral based questions. Had 2 panel interviews with regional teams and additional interviews at the store level with the senior team. Process included a role play exercise and review of P&L document to gauge understanding.

Interview Questions
    salary and vacation was negotiable

Inventory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in September 2014.

It was pretty standard stuff. Just past experience. The job is entry level, porting cars around the lot. Seems like you can get promoted if you put time into it and do good work. You answer situational questions with at least two different managers. And then there's the computer portion that basic asks if you do drugs or steal. They said they would let me know in a week. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you used leadership in a past job.   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time when you dealt with an angry customer and how you handled it   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in September 2014.

10 minute telephone interview. Asked basic background and experience questions. Invited to face-to-face interview. Computer questionnaire on site. Met with three separate interviewers. Sales presentation on car. If they like you then meet with location GM. Job offered. Drug test.

Inventory Associate Interview

Interview was pretty easy not much happened just asked a lot of questions and then had to take a test on the computer. Which took bout 30 min you have at least three interviews if they really like you or think you are a good fit for the job. Overall it was a fun experience just didn't like the sitting around waiting on the next person which is the part that took the longest I was there for about two hours.