CarMax

Updated Dec 16, 2014

Detailer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in December 2014.

I applied for the detailer position at a local Carmax. I went in with high hopes because this is something that I enjoy doing. A lady came and got me, took me to an office where I filled out a questionnaire on how many times I have taken stuff from a company, how many times I do drugs at work, etc. I am clean as a whistle so, it didn't take that long. Later, another lady came and got me. We went to another office where she read me a series of questions verbatim, while she took a few notes. This lady was very attentive. She was the maintenance supervisor. Then a man came and got me and we went to yet another office for more questions. He was a sales manager. He sat at the desk facing me and the windows behind me. He would ask me a question about my previous employment and, then he would zone out like he was watching what was going on on the sales floor. He did this on every question. He did take notes on a couple of the questions but, it was like he was just going through the motions. It was like I was wasting his time. After we were finished, he told me that Carmax would contact me by email on whether or not I got the job. The very next day, I got the email saying Thanks but No Thanks. It was like they were not even wanting to hire someone who has a passion for this position. That position would have been a great fit for me. I think I could have shined (no pun intended) in that position. I think there would have been growth opportunities with paint and body work in the future.

Interview Questions
    • There were not any question that were out of the ordinary. It seemed like they were afraid that someone would do drugs and steal a car from them rather than finding an honest hard working employee for the position. It seemed like that they wanted every little tidbit of information on my background right down to the zip code that I was at 7 years ago.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in December 2014.

The hiring process took about two weeks. I had a phone interview and then was later contact for a second interview. The interview took about two hours. They asked me questions about my previous experience and if I had any sales experience. It was a very calm nice setting. I had to roleplay for them and sell them a Toyota Camry which was fun. I didnt know much about sales, I did ALOT of reseach and studying before i went for the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever went above and beyond for a customer?   View Answer
    The hiring manager said he had two questions. The second question would depend on the first. He asked me what i expect in the next 5 years I answered then he said ok well I dont usually ask the second question but I want to ask you...when can you start?! Just have super confidence and be PREPARED!

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

Very thorough interview questions lots of behavioral questions so be prepared to have some specific situations in mind. Phone interview about 4 questions and got a face to face. Got on the computer was asked a few questions. Didn't take very long, if you don't answer the questions wrong. Talked with 3 different managers and got hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you overcame a difficult and frustrating work experience?   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Doral, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Doral, FL

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

Application was done on line and a call was received after a few months. Interview was really easy, nothing to sweat about. Very straight forward question - If you have been at any job field, it is hard to believe the silly questions the at the interview.

Interview Questions

I was forced to go back 3 times for their incompetence for not gathering the necessary information at the time I was getting hire. Then, a few phone calls followed after that and a personal visit to the store where nobody knew anything about I was talking about. At the end, I was excited to obtain the offer; however, I was misled when I was told by one of the managers that they would work with my schedule from another part time job I have. So, I decided to withdraw myself from this opportunity after all the issues confronted during and after the interview.

I still think Carmax is a great company but the Doral location is very disorganized.

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

applied online, received a phone call a few days later. Group interview, asks the group to tell us about ourselves and why we want to be a sales representative. Toured around the facility, and said would call those who had prospects back

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

Applied for a job as a Strategy Analyst and got an email the next day asking to take an assessment. I took the assessment and after about 2 or 3 questions, I just gave up after a while and clicked my way to the end.

Interview Questions
    • The assessment was absolutely insane. Who does that and why would companies put people through that?   View Answer

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

The actual process went pretty smooth. I applied back in October not expecting to hear anything back because of previous experience applying with them. Randomly I recieved a phone call from the manager assistant asking me if I was still interested and was wondering if I would want to set up a phone interview for the next day. I then had my phone I interview and when I passed that I had an in store interview. When I first arrived I had to fill out some paperwork and do an online assessment. This assessment asked me questions about crimes which not. I did this with the same person that set up my phone interview. After waiting for about 15 minutes I intervied with a manger and was asked a series of behavioral questions and typical why do you want to work here questions. Then I was interviewed by another manager in the same department and was asked another series of behavioral questions. Then the two managers went and talked for about 15 minutes and then I was offered the job. It was very nice the whole entire process but it did take longer than normal interviews so just be prepared.

Interview Questions
    I didn't negotiate the pay seemed fair for the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Three interviews so do your homework and be able to think quick. You will be interviewed by managers from different departments therefore once again do your homework on the position you are applying for.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation because it was a commission position.

Sales Consultant Interview

I arrived on time was introduced to one of the manager,took a basic background check in the computer after that the same person asking a few questions.
    Good atmosphere and the interview very professional.
    If I get or not the job first impression was great.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how do you get a customer into a specific car.   Answer Question

Automotive Technician Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Memphis, TN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in November 2014.

long. met with three managers. none had nothing to do with service department. and knew nothing about the service side of a dealership, thought it funny I was hiring in for service and never met the service mngr. they wanted ASE certified technician. but they only hired the general service guys that had no certifications at all. I am still scratching my head. I don't think they have any idea what they are doing when it comes to service side of the industry

Interview Questions
    • none. pretty bland. nothing about experience or certifications, thought that was strange.   View Answer