CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Roseville, CA).

Interview

Applied online, was called within a day for a scheduled phone interview, then followed up with in person interview. I met with a sales manager, 2 managers from non sales departments, then finally the store manager. The process took about 6 hours. It was not until I was asked to submit a urine sample (drug test), that I realized I'd been hired. An offer was not formally made. Great positive vibe at the store.

Interview Questions

• Have I had any felonies, misdemeanors, brushes with the law, etc.   1 Answer

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The interview will involve three stages. The first stage involves an interview from a senior manager from another department from the one you are applying for. Your next interview will have a senior manager from the buying department, that will repeat in a different format the same behavioral questions that you were just asked. Your final piece of the interview will be with the local GM who will decide if you should be hired or not.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you used teamwork to change a problem   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks and was my final interview (out of 2) I was in the office for about 3 hours. All in all, the interview process consisted of a phone interview, then proceeded to a face to face interview which was dense. When I say dence I mean it took forever and their were A LOT of steps involved. First they sit you down to do a questionnaire on a computer that has questions like, "have you been to jail?" or "what's your work history" ect. From there I sat with the hiring manager and that asked situational questions (used the STAR method) to gauge your ability to sell and be a helpful person. I was asked to do a drug test on the spot then was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Be specific and tell me about a time where you tried to sell something and the customer did not want your product or service. How did you bring back the sale?   Answer Question

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax (Littleton, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

I was introduced to Don, who assisted with my interview and had started off by telling me that the interview would be awhile due to the process in which we had to go through. Throughout the interview process, I was interviewed by two different people, for three meetings, which is the most thorough interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• What were the reasons in which you are currently not working at your past jobs?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Sterling, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

4 part process. Longest interview i've ever done. It felt like you're applying for a government job. They bring in different managers one after another and grill you on the spot and you gotta have the right words. I don't know how the work itself is but I sure hope it turns out alright for the sales consultants there

Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Lancaster, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

First, online questionnaire. Then they call and arrange an in-person interview. Once you arrive there you complete more web forms. Then you're interviewed by two sales managers. After this you are asked to make a pretend sale. (They would have already sent you through email the particulars for this section). Once that is complete, you are finished.

Interview Questions

• One time that you had to promote your product or service to a client/customer.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received a call the next day from the recruiter scheduling a Face to Face interview for Friday at 3PM. When i got there i was prompted to sit at a computer and fill out a questionnaire asking: have you since your 18th birthday committed a sexual offense, done any illegal drug, committed murder etc; After that i had an interview with the Business Office Manager that went really well, and he was really nice, he gave a detailed description of what i would be doing and had me sign paper work agreeing, allowing them to run my credit, and background check etc; i was extended an offer at this point. All in all, DONT waste your time! They only pay $10.00 for FULL-TIME position(keep in mind i am located in Miami which is amongst one of the highest cost of living states)

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Carmax?
      Name a situation where you had to over come customer objection?
      Name a Time where you asked another associate who WASNT management for help and why?

Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Interview is pretty thorough. Quick process for being as thorough as it is. Overall there was a phone interview, face to face with two general managers, then face to face with regional Vice President. In between , there were multiple hour long assessments testing math skills and personality.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Carmax ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Buyer In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee in O'Fallon, MO

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (O'Fallon, MO) in May 2015.

Interview

I was contacted by a recruiter and a phone interview was set up. The phone interview lasted about 45 minutes after which I was told I would receive an e-mail with links to complete their online application and personality test. After doing so 2 days later I received an e-mail for a scheduled face to face interview. It asked me to bring several copies of me resume and to allot 2-4 hours. I arrived and waited. I then filled out an online survey there consenting to a back round check etc. I then had my interview with 1 person a senior buyer. Based on the fact that I was told I was going to meet "the team" and the fact that I was told to bring several copies of my resume I had expected to meet with several people. Such was not the case. The whole process took about an hour and 45 minutes. I honestly felt like the staff at the location I had my interview at had already made up their minds about me prior to the interview which was annoying as it felt like a waste of my time.

Interview Questions

• Standard interview questions. Tell me about a time when.....   Answer Question

Reconditioning Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Usually CarMax starts off with a phone interview. If you pass that portion they will schedule you for an in-person interview. Both only take about 25 minutes and it's a straight forward interview.