CarMax

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Jan 21, 2015
Updated Jan 21, 2015

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

It began with me applying via glassdoor. I received a phone call within 2 days from a manager and we did a very basic phone interview. At the end of the conversation I was asked to come in for a interview in 3 days time. I went to the front desk and they alerted the HR and I waited about 10-15 minutes in the waiting room. I expected it to be a very snuffy one on one interview. Not at all. I was interviewed by a panel essentially. Two managers at a time, each manager in a different section. Come to learn that even if you are applying for one job, you'll be considered for another if you seem to be a better fit. It was very low pressure. The questions they asked were mostly personality type questions and scenarios. What would you do if? How would you..? Being new to sales it was a bit fun. After all the interviews they do a roleplay scenario of you presenting a vehicle to an interested customer. This is all for personality placement.

Interview Questions
    • For me, relating my past job to sales and customer service. They are two ends of a spectrum.   View Answer
    There were no negotiations. They showed me the entire pay scale, plan, and how to reach the next level of pay.

Business Office Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

Filled out very detailed application online listing basic info as well as previous employers in last 7 years. Intensive interview process with phone interview, online assessments, multiple interviews with different managers, and an intensive background screening process where you answer questions about your criminal history, drug use, etc. Expect the interview process to take a few hours.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision within a short period of time.   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

First you start off with a phone interview and a couple days later I was called to do an in person interview. At that point I met with two Managers as they interviewed me at the same time. I did not get the job due to my poor qualifications for it.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a situation when you had a issue with difficult customer and how? what you did about it?   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Be positive throughout the interview and look at your mistakes as opportunities to learn. Every aspect of the interview, even if you are just waiting is probably being observed. Just stay positive and patient.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you used teamwork to help in a situation.   Answer Question
    There is none. It is comission.

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

Application experience was similar to other postings except when I was initially contacted, there was no phone interview, so there was no opportunity for me or CarMax to determine if there was a good fit. I was invited to an in-person interview. The first question asked of me was to provide my social security number. I found that to be extraordinary in this day and age of hacking into company's databases and identity theft to provide a private detail like that before we had even decided if it was worth moving forward in the process. I inquired as to what happens with my data if there's no job offer, and the HR person wasn't sure. I then filled out a questionnaire about whether I've raped or murdered anyone, done drugs, stolen items from an employer, etc., etc. I found these questions to set an extremely negative tone and created a feeling of "we know we're hiring scumbags; we just need to know how big a scumbag you are." The next step was to sign authorizations and waivers that provided broad sweeping powers to CarMax, e.g. an authorization to pull my credit report (now and at any time in the future as decided by CarMax!). I understand CarMax's need for this information, but feel strongly it should come later in the process. While I waited for my next step, I observed an interview at an adjacent desk. The interviewer read scripted questions and did not seem to pay any attention to the answers provided by the candidate; he appeared to be scanning his paper to choose the next scripted question he would ask. I excused myself from moving forward in the process at this point. I got the impression that CarMax views the interviewing process as a one-way determination - solely whether they like you rather than whether you will enjoy working for them.

Business Analyst Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

The screening process is fairly tedious, and between the assessment test (which had about 18 questions to do, but is timed fairly quickly) and the personality test (which is untimed and has 300 questions) I would allot 2-3 hours. You have the opportunity to practice the tests, which is fortunate between it's always unwise to show up cold for any kind of standardized test.

Interview Questions
    • Just the 300 personality questions. I was surprised it required so much at an early interview stage and seems to undervalue potential employees' time.   Answer Question

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

I applied for the position, got a call from hr within a week to setup a phone interview. Had my phone interview. Got a call back about a week or so to set up an in person interview. Arrived at my in person interview where I met with the Hr lady I spoke with over the phone. She immediately set me up on the computer to go over questions like "are you a criminal" in diff ways as well as past employment questions. After you pass that you fill out paperwork. The paperwork is for background checks. I then had a manager from the buyer side come talk to me and ask me generated questions that came from my computer questions. Then the asst manager and lead business office associate came in and tagged teamed me. Finally the manager over the business office came in and interviewed me.I was offered the job on the spot

Interview Questions
    Not really negotiable, standard pay for everyone then an increase after training

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in December 2014.

The hiring process took about two weeks. I had a phone interview and then was later contact for a second interview. The interview took about two hours. They asked me questions about my previous experience and if I had any sales experience. It was a very calm nice setting. I had to roleplay for them and sell them a Toyota Camry which was fun. I didnt know much about sales, I did ALOT of reseach and studying before i went for the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever went above and beyond for a customer?   View Answer
    The hiring manager said he had two questions. The second question would depend on the first. He asked me what i expect in the next 5 years I answered then he said ok well I dont usually ask the second question but I want to ask you...when can you start?! Just have super confidence and be PREPARED!

Detailer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Nashville, TN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in December 2014.

I applied for the detailer position at a local Carmax. I went in with high hopes because this is something that I enjoy doing. A lady came and got me, took me to an office where I filled out a questionnaire on how many times I have taken stuff from a company, how many times I do drugs at work, etc. I am clean as a whistle so, it didn't take that long. Later, another lady came and got me. We went to another office where she read me a series of questions verbatim, while she took a few notes. This lady was very attentive. She was the maintenance supervisor. Then a man came and got me and we went to yet another office for more questions. He was a sales manager. He sat at the desk facing me and the windows behind me. He would ask me a question about my previous employment and, then he would zone out like he was watching what was going on on the sales floor. He did this on every question. He did take notes on a couple of the questions but, it was like he was just going through the motions. It was like I was wasting his time. After we were finished, he told me that Carmax would contact me by email on whether or not I got the job. The very next day, I got the email saying Thanks but No Thanks. It was like they were not even wanting to hire someone who has a passion for this position. That position would have been a great fit for me. I think I could have shined (no pun intended) in that position. I think there would have been growth opportunities with paint and body work in the future.

Interview Questions
    • There were not any question that were out of the ordinary. It seemed like they were afraid that someone would do drugs and steal a car from them rather than finding an honest hard working employee for the position. It seemed like that they wanted every little tidbit of information on my background right down to the zip code that I was at 7 years ago.   View Answer

Business Office Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

Very thorough interview questions lots of behavioral questions so be prepared to have some specific situations in mind. Phone interview about 4 questions and got a face to face. Got on the computer was asked a few questions. Didn't take very long, if you don't answer the questions wrong. Talked with 3 different managers and got hired on the spot.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you overcame a difficult and frustrating work experience?   Answer Question