CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2015
Updated Apr 9, 2015

Overnight Detailer Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Fort Worth, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied for the position online. Received an unprofessional call 2 weeks later. Representative asked basic questions regarding availability and experience. He then asked me to come in for an interview the next day. Interview was at 9am and I arrived at 8:45am. Was instructed by Representative to enter through service center since Dealership doesn't open until 10am and to ask to be directed to hiring center. I did just that and they said no Managers were available at the time, for me to wait in the service center waiting area. I waited until 9:15 when I asked another employee the same instruction. They then apologized and took me to their Hiring rep. She wasn't in her office so I had to wait, which was turned out to be the pattern for the entire interview process. Once she saw me, she led me to an associates office to take an "online interview." They confirmed the information I provided regarding my work/criminal/and other histories. Once that was complete (about 15 min), I was instructed to wait while another manager would come to talk to me regarding the information i provided in the online interview. Waited about 5-10 min when an assistant manager took me back into that same office to ask me questions the online interview prompted to need answers to regarding employment history I had left out. Once i answered his questions (about 20-30 mins) he asked me to wait while the next manager came to interview me. I continued waiting another 5-10 mins until another manager took me to another office to answer "thought process" or "situational" questions. We completed his interview at 10:40am. He then asked if i would mind "going to lunch" and returning at 12:05pm to continue the next interview with a manager from the detailing department so that the next manager wouldn't have to "rush" through the interview before they went to lunch. When i returned, He took me back into another office, asked me more situational questions and further questions regarding why i'd be good to carmax and the position, informed me more of the position, and answered at this point any questions I may have regarding the position, pay, and hours. He then asked me to wait while he called who I thought would be conducting the final and 5th interview of the day. The Manager took me into another office, asked me the same questions the previous manager had regarding my work history, experience, why i'd fit the position, etc. Answered any further questions I had. Then asked me to wait while he reached the Senior site manager. I then was greeted again by the final two managers I had previously interviewed with and was told I was offered the position, conditionally. I then met with the Senior manager who went over the 5 point background check they would run (credit/Social Security, Driving records, Drug screen/urine, Employment Reference, and Criminal history) explaining how serious it was and how crucial my honesty was to the hiring process, second guessing every answer I provided him. I then was taken to the bathroom to give a urine sample. Returned to the HR office to sign agreements and contracts then provided my first week training schedule and rate of pay. I accepted the offer however I'm still unsure if I will keep the job because I have other offers.

Interview Questions

• Provide a situation in the work or educational history where you had multiple tasks with deadlines. How did you react and handle the situation? Did you meet your deadlines?   Answer Question

Service Consultant/Customer Advisor Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Chattanooga, TN).

Interview

Conducted two separate interviews, panel style (two or three interviewers), professional style questions asked during interview. Grand opening store so everyone seemed excited about the store opening. Explained company core values and where the company was projected to go in the future.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me a time when your manager or teacher had you doing something you disagreed with? How did you accomplish the task?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Buyer's Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Longest and most unprofessional interview I've ever gone through.
    Arrived 10 minutes early.
    Waited for 30 minutes for HR to come out and start.
    Took a questionnaire, "have I killed anyone," etc.
    Verified my resume information.
    Waited 30 minutes for Buyer's manager to come interview me.
    He asked poor situational questions. "What would you do if...?" Common sense answers.
    Waited for another 30 minutes for the department manager to come out.
    He asked random questions about my past work experience. "What did you do at...?"
    I asked some questions.
    Interview complete.
    I spent over 2 1/2 hours for this interview and the vast majority of the time was spent waiting. I've had plenty of interview and I have never been jerked around this much. I got an offer the next week but declined for two reasons. I could never work at a company that did that to their employees and the pay was horrid for the work.

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax (Ontario, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very long. I was at the hiring center for over 6 hours. There was long waits to use the computers to take the online assessment portion. Person to person interviews were fun. Managers were engaging, personable, and honest. The online personality test was tedious. Several of the questions asked the same thing in different ways to try and trick you.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell me this pen?   1 Answer

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Be prepared to spend the majority of your day at the interview. It involves an online assessment to evaluate the candidate as a right fit for Carmax. The first interview is similar to a preliminary screening. Some positions require a emulation after that interview. The second (assuming you make it) will be follow up questions that the first interviewer was not totally satisfied with. The third (should you have one) is normally an interview with a senior manager. This will normally mean you are good to go. You will take a drug test on site.

Strategy Analyst Summer Interview

Application

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Applied through Campus website, reached out to me a month later. Had a 25 minute math based assessment followed by a 35 minute phone interview with behavioral and quantitative questions. Moving on to the final round next week.

Interview Questions

• A math-based case question. Takes some logical reasoning, but not very difficult.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The process took 2 weeks. I applied through campus recruiting services. I was given a phone call to schedule an interview soon after. I scheduled an interview on campus. It was a 30 minute interview mixed with behavioral questions and two basic math problems.

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Interview process is long and can take a few hours if you are doing well in the interviews. Questionnaire in the beginning is typical for large corporations. Apply online this is the twentieth century! Basic questions for interviews just answer them and don't try to fake an answer and be genuine.

Service Manager Interview

Application

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Applied on LinkedIn. Recruiter calls a few days later. Basic questions on background, then immediately tells me she's convinced I'm her guy. I then interview with an HR rep, who in conclusion tells me she going to set up my on site face to face. 4 hours in the center with a dept. manager then Ops manager, took an assessment. Was then set up to meet with RVP 3 hours away. 1.5 hour interview with RVP and HR. RVP talks about my training and how I can come home on the weekends..... Then.... Immediately states "ok, well, we have others in the pipeline, so we'll be in touch!". I knew I was done, and mind you I've Ben unemployed for 5 months and they put me through all this? (Downsized not fired). Basically there is only 1 sole question hat means hiring you or not. "Can you live out of a van, and wander from state to state, city to city, on a dimes notice, your whole caccareer

Interview Questions

• STAR method all about employee engagement and customer service. Also about talent management.   1 Answer

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

It took almost 4 weeks. The interviewer was nice and talked about his own experience in CarMax. The first 20 mins asked a few behavior questions and followed by a business case. The math was not hard but I didn't think I answered the second one correctly.

Interview Questions

• Why CarMax? Why this role? Tell me how you solved an analystic problem in the past?   Answer Question