CarMax

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Mar 2, 2015
Updated Mar 2, 2015

Service Manager Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Applied on LinkedIn. Recruiter calls a few days later. Basic questions on background, then immediately tells me she's convinced I'm her guy. I then interview with an HR rep, who in conclusion tells me she going to set up my on site face to face. 4 hours in the center with a dept. manager then Ops manager, took an assessment. Was then set up to meet with RVP 3 hours away. 1.5 hour interview with RVP and HR. RVP talks about my training and how I can come home on the weekends..... Then.... Immediately states "ok, well, we have others in the pipeline, so we'll be in touch!". I knew I was done, and mind you I've Ben unemployed for 5 months and they put me through all this? (Downsized not fired). Basically there is only 1 sole question hat means hiring you or not. "Can you live out of a van, and wander from state to state, city to city, on a dimes notice, your whole caccareer

Interview Questions
    • STAR method all about employee engagement and customer service. Also about talent management.   View Answer

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

It took almost 4 weeks. The interviewer was nice and talked about his own experience in CarMax. The first 20 mins asked a few behavior questions and followed by a business case. The math was not hard but I didn't think I answered the second one correctly.

Interview Questions
    • Why CarMax? Why this role? Tell me how you solved an analystic problem in the past?   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CarMax.

I only had a phone interview where they start off with a business case and then they describe the company. The business case involved two main questions. They give you a scenario and then they give you some time to work through the problem. The problems are not too hard, but can throw you for a loop if you are not expecting it.

Interview Questions
    • The first question was an easy computational one and the last one involved a system of equations to solve for the answer.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CarMax.

Applied through college job board. Contacted for a phone screen, and then a follow up interview call.

The call lasted 1.5 hours, and included a very difficult case study that I wasn't notified about or prepared for. We were instructed not to use a computer or calculator, but the formulas required weren't exactly day to day common. The first half of the phone interview was a basic skills/situational interview.

Interview Questions
    • Case study regarding potential locations and statistical returns for two proposed stores   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Applied on campus recruiting site and was contacted within a few days to take an online math assessment. After that scheduled an interview on campus for the next week. Overall the initial interview was pretty easy and casual. Half behavioral questions and then one case study. Was invited to come up to corporate for a super interview day and that will happen in the next week or so but as of now all I know of that is that it is a few case studies and behavioral questions

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for CarMax?
      Why the strategy analyst role?

Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

You start of with a phone interview and move to a In store interview where you will be asked scenario questions. Afterwards, you will be asked to role play. The role play consists of you going out to a car and being able to guide the customer through the process.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you had to sell a product to a customer who didn't want it.   Answer Question
    No Negotiations.

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

I had to take an online assessment which wasn't bad. Then had a first round phone interview. It was about 45 minutes. Started with behavioral questions and ended with a business case. I felt rushed throughout the business case and the interviewer didn't help out with it.

Interview Questions
    • How would you balance the amount of customer traffic you receive if you were a manager at a CarMax location?   Answer Question

Service Consultant Interview

One phone screen by a manager, the. A onsite interview with three different managers,then the next week was asked to do a simulation. The simulation is awkward without clear direction. They give u a sheet of paper to look at for like 10 min with policy's on it. Being that you haven't been trained or know what to expect this is extremely difficult. Also they take way to much of your time in the interview process.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2015.

I applied for the strategy analyst summer intern position. The kind of first round was an online exam, and it was about mathematics an statistics. The second round was on-campus interview. The whole process was one hour and it was a combination of behavior and case interview. Be prepare to do some maths problem. It was not hard because the interviewer will go through the problem with you, and he will point out your mistake directly.

Interview Questions
    • Can you go through with me about a time when you solve a problem with analytical skills?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2015.

Submitted resume and about 2 weeks later got a call to schedule an interview. Interview had a brief get to know you period then a really simple case study (there was a correct answer... you will have to do math) and more information about the position. Should hear back in the next few days and if accepted the next step will be a tour of the site culminating with an offer.