CarMax

CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Nov 21, 2014
Updated Nov 21, 2014

Buyer In Training Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax in April 2008.

The interview process was very in depth and thorough. It is joked about that it is harder to get hired into the Purchasing Dept than it is to get accepted into Harvard. It seemed as though I had a half dozen interviews, the last of which was an interview with the Regional Vice President to give the go-ahead.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to discipline somebody at work.   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CarMax in July 2011.

I applied online, then received a phone call from recruiter about a week later, I returned phone call right away( got no answer) so I called every day for a week and then got an email stating the position had been closed but it wasn't even in the right state! (So basically I was being ignored) I instantly got a phone call, and was interviewed on the spot. I was asked a little about my background, why I wanted to work there, what I knew about the company...then the recruiter told me she would call me back in a few days to do a behavioral interview which consisted of 5 questions. After that a week later I got a phone call saying they wanted to interview me... I went into the interview fully prepared. I first took a questionnaire about stealing, criminal history and basic background information. Also you fill out consent forms about background checks, driving record and social security records . I interviewed with two people about the position they asked me about 10 behavioral questions. After that I interviewed with two more people same thing about 10 more behavioral questions same type of questions different ways of being asked. After that I took a drug test, and did a personality test, and what seemed like the SAT'S (an intelligence test) horrible!!!! I was there for 4.5 hours total. They walked me through the job of what I would be doing to get an idea which is just basically appraising cars. A week or two later I got another call that I was to interview with the VP. At this point I was pretty confident I had gotten the job and figured this last interview would be easy. I was wrong. I walked back into the same grueling interview. Another hour of the same behavioral questions with the VP and another manager. Only two weeks later to find out they had went with another candidate. So basically 6 hours of my life I can never get back.

Interview process was like this:

Fill out application
    Intelligence test
    background/SS consent forms
    drug test
    questionnaire
    2 on 1 with a set of managers (behavioral questions)
    2 on 1 with another set of managers (behavioral questions)
    2nd interview:
    2 on 1 w/ VP (behavioral interview questions)

Not sure if I left anything out.. It wouldn't have been so BAD if so much time didn't lapse in between conversations and interviews. Also the recruiter told me if you have questions or concerns or anything just call but EVERYTIME i called she ignored my calls until she wanted to talk to me. It took 2 months and 6 hours of my life, and I am more than qualified. I would think twice about this one, if you have time to waste than go for it!

Interview Questions
    • What do you know about carmax?   Answer Question
    • why do you want to work for carmax? (every behavorial question you can think of)   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dayton, OH

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CarMax in February 2011.

Online application, phone call from a manager to set up interview. Paperwork consenting to background check and history. I had four total interviews before I was offered a position. You have to have sales experience our a degree for consideration. Intetviews are like interrogations designed to pick out lies and deceptions, so don't do either. But overall, everybody was really nice.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you faced a difficult or challenging customer and how you stood your ground, but still handled them positively.   Answer Question
    Ha! No.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Los Angeles, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in January 2009.

Flew out to their Headquarters, first day, 5 interviews. Offices were very nice as were the interviewers. Questions were tough, repetitive and could tell they were in place to ensure answer consistency. 2nd day was spent in higher up interviews, personality tests, IQ math test and final interview with Vice President of Purchasing.

Interview Questions
    • "Why was your GPA not a 4.0"   Answer Question
    • "You're given 6 million dollars to purchase inventory for 3 locations, how do you decide what to buy?"   Answer Question
    First offer rejected, counter offered. Offer accepted

Human Resources Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CarMax in January 2011.

The company has several rounds of interviews and assessments that candidates must complete.

Candidates are not really able to negotiate.

Buyer In Training Interview

The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in November 2011.

the interview process is very grueling. actually, the application process and psychological tests took 3 hours alone.

the phone interview took about an hour.

the first face to face interview took the better part of 8 hours.

the final interview with the regional VP of purchasing was laid back and easy.

Interview Questions
    • give an example of a time you had to deal with a customer service issue.   Answer Question
    • give an example of a time when you had to reprimand a subordinate.   Answer Question

Buyers Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Costa Mesa, CA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

There was a tour than the interviews. The interview felt like an interrogation; don't be fooled by their kindness it's all an act. They kept repeating how they were a fortune 500 company and how 1 in 40 gets hired; so what? I use to work for a bigger company than them. Just remember tell them what they want to hear; they are trained to interrogate you to find any reason to dismiss you.

Sales Consultant Interview

Applied online - very complex application. Required agreeing to a background check and drug test and taking psychological test on line.

Was called by a local manager in about 2 week. He did an in depth telephone interview. Was given an interview appointment 10 days out.

Went to interview. Was given a back round test. Was then interviewed by one manager. Was then interviewed by two managers. This is when I had to do a "sell us a car" test. Was told that I would be contacted. Was eventually sent a "thanks but no thanks" letter.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in March 2012.

Interview process starts off with a phone interview. If that goes well, an in-person interview is scheduled. That interview was considerably long (about 3 hours) and I was interviewed by three managers. (Who can all be from different departments) Just before that portion of the interview, I filled out a questionnaire via one of the available questions. Many detailed and specific questions were asked about my character, work history, drug/alcohol use, etc. I was given the job on the spot, and was immediately required to submit my urine for a drug test. After that, one of the managers went over the general rules and regulations, pay, benefits, etc.

Interview Questions
    • I was asked to recall detailed experiences at each job and how I handled each situation. Even though I hadn't experienced all of the things they mentioned, I had to come up with generalities of what I would do if the situation discussed actually came up.   Answer Question
    No negotiation because it was all commission based,

Inventory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukesha, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Waukesha, WI

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in March 2013.

First I was given a very detailed phone interview. Two days later I was called to schedule an interview, then upon scheduling the interview they changed the day and time to a much less convenient time. They called a third time to change the interview but I said I wasn't able to do that. This is a warning to everyone who applies: They REQUIRE you to give them access to youre social security & income tax records from the last eight years!! This means that if you are a person who has had economic difficulty, don't have jobs you listed on the application, have some jobs you don't want to discuss, or prefer to have any private life what so ever.. that youre not entitled to it.. I went through the garbage and as soon as they asked that question I was asked why I quit my jobs in high school. I was asked who I worked for and where I worked, that was eight years ago and I have absolutely no idea!! If you answer that you aren't sure, they completely ruin the interview experience for you. I almost walked out of this one for this reason alone, its bad enough they check youre credit too! I was a victim of Identity theft, so its nearly impossible for them to judge me based on my credit!!