CarMax

Updated Jul 2, 2014

Average Difficulty
339 candidate interviews

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details – Very lengthy and test driven, but interviewers were very polite and guided through the entire process. Initial callback took a while but everything had to get filtered through corporate first, at least that is what I was told

Reason for Declining – received better offer elswhere

Summer Analyst Intern Interview

Summer Analyst Intern

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details – Met a few representatives at career fair, was encouraged over email to apply. Went to first round interview on campus, which consisted both of a behavioral and case interview.

Interview Question – Explain a situation where you had to solve an analytic problem, and the approach you took.   Answer Question

Sales Associate

I applied in-person and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Very long and drawn out, the people were like robots.

Interview Question – A long list of difficult questions about experience.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Bad atmosphere.

Operations Manager Interview

Operations Manager

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details – very lengthy process that enables the company to get a great understanding of who it is they are hiring. This helps weed out associates with poor work ethic and gain positive associates who are driven for success.

Interview Question – not very difficult questions but they are all competency based   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiating

Strategy Analyst Interview

Strategy Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – The interview asked me about my background. He also asked me what makes a good leader and examples of a time when I was one.

Interview Question – He presented me with an expected value math problem.   Answer Question

Automotive Sales Consultant Interview

Automotive Sales Consultant

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details – I filled up online application through their website. They called me very next day and set up an appointment for phone interview with one of their manager.

Interview Question – Why do you want to work for Carmax?   View Answer

Software Engineer Interview

Software Engineer

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details – The initial screening interview was quite easy, with only a few personality-based questions and a tree transversal problem that I solved in Java. The interviewers were thrilled with my responses, and told me they would most likely contact me for another interview.

Several days later, I received a 300-question personality test to complete online. I believe I was rejected on the basis of my personality test, which suggests they place more credence on the formalized corporate hiring process.

Interview Question – What is your favorite programming language, and what would you change about it.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Strategy Analyst

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details – Phone interview after applying through university website. Very friendly and mostly behavioral with a case question. The Human Resources representative as well as the interviewer were very pleasant to work with. I fumbled through parts of the case, but not because it was overly difficult. It was simply a question about probability and expected outcome.

Interview Question – Probability but wasn't hard if you knew it was coming   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Sales Consultant

I applied online and interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Expect to be there for several hours as about 5 different people will interview you and lengthy wait times between each questionnaire.

Interview Question – Make you make a sales pitch for a vehicle.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No, CarMax doesn't negotiate anything. Position is 100% commission

Sales Associate

I applied online and interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Going through process now. 1)do online questions, ran into some server issues on their end (2)brief phone interview, most likely to hear how you speak to people, (3)been invited back for an in person interview next week, and will post more after I do so. The manager I spoke with on the phone was cordial.

Interview Question – Not difficult, but be prepared to answer with top two reasons why you are applying to Carmax   Answer Question

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!