CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Sep 9, 2014
Updated Sep 9, 2014

Software Engineer Interview

The initial screening interview was quite easy, with only a few personality-based questions and a tree transversal problem that I solved in Java. The interviewers were thrilled with my responses, and told me they would most likely contact me for another interview.

Several days later, I received a 300-question personality test to complete online. I believe I was rejected on the basis of my personality test, which suggests they place more credence on the formalized corporate hiring process.

Interview Questions
    • What is your favorite programming language, and what would you change about it.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

The interview asked me about my background. He also asked me what makes a good leader and examples of a time when I was one.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Phone interview after applying through university website. Very friendly and mostly behavioral with a case question. The Human Resources representative as well as the interviewer were very pleasant to work with. I fumbled through parts of the case, but not because it was overly difficult. It was simply a question about probability and expected outcome.

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at CarMax.

After sending in my resume and cover letter, CarMax Strategy Group got back with me and set up an initial phone interview. As the initial phone conversation, and with no insight as to what this phone call would include, I was extremely surprised when the interviewer began a full case with me. To say that I was not expecting a full case would be an understatement. The interview was behavioral and an overview of your resume and activities to start, as one would expect from an initial phone interview. However, the surprise from the math intensive case interview was too much for me to overcome.

Interview Questions
    • A case interview that covered what the proper betting strategy is for a fan of American Idol.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at CarMax.

Initial interview was a 1:1 behavioral and short case study interview on college campus. A follow-up email immediately followed requesting completion of online application and short mathematical test. The request for an on-site full-day interview immediately followed your completion of the online apps. Full-day interview consisted of several intensive case studies in addition to a more in-depth behavioral interview.

Interview Questions
    • Which field(s) of a typical user report could you use to analyze his/her risk of paying back a loan?   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

QR test beforehand, then phone interview.

Strategy Manager Interview

First interview basically a "fit" interview - discuss capabilities, why CarMax, etc.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Phone then in person interview

Buyer Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Sterling, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in June 2013.

Had a PRE-Interview by Telephone... VERY unprofessional, and highly reliant on an unrehearsed script. Several times I asked for a clarification of what was being asked only to hear keys clattering in the background. On one occasion the response was I can't there is no right or wrong answer. Which is fine, but what happens when the question does not make sense? My impression was the person who was interviewing me was blurring several questions together and not paying attention. At the end of this weird interview I was told I would be called back to set up an in person interview. The rejection letter was sent LESS that 3 minutes of the conversation ending. I have the cell phone record and date E-mail to prove this.

Interview Questions
    • This is an approximation of one question...
      "Can you give an example where working as a team negatively affected a sale but the customer came back and worked with another associate who succeeded with the sale? and what did you do to resolve the problem"?
        View Answers (2)

Buyer In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hillside, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL

I applied online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Initial communication was with a recruiter in VA. She was awesome! Very friendly and personable and prepared me well for the face to face interview. The actual face to face interview came fairly quickly after the phone interview, but set aside about 4 hours. I first interviewed with 2 Senior Buyers, then another buyer took me on a tour of the facility, and then I interviewed with the buyer who took me on the tour as well as the Purchasing Manager. The interview was intense. Be prepared for Behavioral Interview Questions.Definately have specific examples ready - prepare for this interview using the STAR method. While intense, it was clear that the team was very approachable and happy to answer any questions you might have. I got the feeling that the people loved working there and had a ton of fun being there. I definately felt a good vibe!

Interview Questions

While I would have loved to join the upbeat high energy environment, the pay being offered was lower than my current salaary so unfortunately I had to decline. But if you're entry level or looking to switch career paths, definately check out Carmax! I had a great interview process!

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!