CarMax Interview Questions & Reviews

353 interviews

Strategy Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

First step is an online analytical test. Think SAT questions. It was pretty easy.
    Second step is a phone interview that lasted around 45 min. Some easy behavioral questions about your interest in the position and your experiences in work and school. Series of related questions at the end were a mix of a brainteaser and a case.
    Third step is a super-day. There is one business case, a few behavioral interviews, and a tricky brainteaser (variation of the secretary question), as well as lunch with members of the team and a tour of the facility.

Interview Questions
    • Secretary question. Its easy to look up online. You have to understand the logic of the question, not just memorize the answer   Answer Question

Automotive Technician Interview

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in July 2011.

Star based interview questions. They ask several scenarios and experience you have had to understand your thought pattern. Several interviews in a row. They offer you the job on the spot and if you accept you take the drug test on the spot. If you are not offered a job on the spot it's very likely you didn't get the job. Still possible you may get an offer so don't blow it there but don't get your hopes up.

Interview Questions
    They have a set pay scale just like the vehicle prices. There is no negotiating the offer. Take it or leave. Every tech at each level makes the same amount, whether you've been there 1 day or 5 years.

Inventory Associate/Off-Lot Coordinator Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax in July 2010.

The process was well thought through. In order that the right person was selected for the job, several interviews were conducted. Both people involved in the process were actively involved. Every aspect of the job was covered and questions were answered to the best of the people involved.

Interview Questions
    • The relationship between your prior work experience and the job opportunity you were seeking.   Answer Question
    The offer was standard and company mandated.

Sales Consultant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

There are multiple interviews. One phone interview, an in person interview and then the final in person interview is with multiple people from multiple departments within the store location. That final interview will take at least 4 hours of your day, so be prepared to be there for a while if you reach that point in the process

Interview Questions
    • Describe an experience where you had to make an sale to an unsatisfied customer   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Employee in Orlando, FL

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in August 2014.

I filled out the application online and a week or so later they called me to schedule phone interview. I felt that the phone interview went very well (mostly behavioral questions) because they immediately wanted to schedule an in person interview a few days later. When I arrived I was instructed to fill out info on a computer for background checks and answer a few screening questions (criminal history, employment history, etc). After that I waited for the managers interviewing me.

Once they were ready we introduced ourselves and went into an office for the interview. I was surprised at how young they both were and the lead interviewer was one of those people who's so completely dedicated to the company that it's a bit frightening. Anyways they ask more behavioral questions and overall I felt that I answered them just as well as I had on the previous interview. When we were done they said they had to step out for a minute and would be back. They returned a few minutes later to say that they had a more interviews taking place throughout the week but that I should expect to hear from the recruiter after that. The next morning I received an e-mail stating that I didn't get the job.

I really can't figure out where I went wrong. I have many years of customer service experience, offered firm handshakes, dressed professionally, was friendly to everyone in the store while I was waiting, basically everything that you're supposed to do. Clearly they couldn't have had the time to interview more people between my interview and the email. I really wish I knew the reason.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when had to make a quick decision?"   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Interview was pretty easy not much happened just asked a lot of questions and then had to take a test on the computer. Which took bout 30 min you have at least three interviews if they really like you or think you are a good fit for the job. Overall it was a fun experience just didn't like the sitting around waiting on the next person which is the part that took the longest I was there for about two hours.

Business Office Associate Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax in April 2011.

3 interviews. asked a lot of name a time when questions. Also had to take a filing test. interviewed by Managers and HR Manager. Applied online
      the Associate recommended me. was offer position by last interview. Starting pay. take test to increase pay. Also had to take a filing test. drug test. etc

Job was offered. Starting pay

Campus Recruieter Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Kennesaw, GA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

The interview process was a bit intense. I had a total of 4 face to face interviews. 3 of which I had in 1 day and I was there from about 9-4. There were a lot of times I wasn't too sure what was next. A lot of paperwork, and tests to make sure you are the "RIGHT FIT". For the most part, everyone was nice and professional. The only one I didn't like was the final one with the HR Manager.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard "Tell me about a time when". The use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Porter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Duarte, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duarte, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

All three interviews were conducted in one whole day. Process took about three hours. There was a computerized characteristic test that was required before the interviews. All employees and interviewers were nice and to the point. Was hired on the spot. Returned a few days later to receive my uniform and proxy / lock box key.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real unexpected questions at the interview. Very basic questions. I would advise over dressing for the interview.   Answer Question
    I never had the impression I had an option to negotiate. Manager informed me that all employees for that position start with a basic pay of $10 per hour.

Buyer In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I interviewed through other source. The process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Phone screen, followed by in store online interview. If you pass the online iterview, you will meet with 2 managers and answer a lot of " tell me about a time" questions. Be specific. If you pass here, you will meet with purchasing manager for more situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult customer you have had. Most difficult Co worker.   View Answer

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!