CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2015

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

I took the very lengthy pre employment screening test that took about 2 hours. I received a call 4 days later and the guy asked about my availability on Sundays. I advised I go to church on Sundays he advised me he would speak to his supervisor. Not even 30 seconds after I hang up I get a rejection email.

Sales Consultant Interview

Interview

You first have to apply online which takes about an hour or more so be prepared to be at the computer for a while. It takes about 2 weeks for it to be processed and they'll either call you if they're interested in you or email you if they're not

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Davie, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Davie, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

First they take you to a computer to answer about 10 questions based about your background. Have you been incarcerated, felon, etc. Simple. After, you then wait a little more and then one of the managers walks you to an interview room. I was interviewed by the Manager and Assistant Manager. Before the actual interview starts you have to sign a series of forms and paperwork. While your signing, they explain what each one means to speed up the process. Then you go over your job description. Then FINALLY we started the actual interview. First part of the interview was general questions. Pretty much questions about yourself. The second half of the interview were all situational questions. All in all, the interview lasted about 20 minutes and the whole process lasted only a little over an hour.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work here? Name a time you had to deal with a difficult customer. Name a time where you had to multi-task. Name a time where you had use leadership skills. Name a time where you had to meet a work goal in a short period of time. Name a time where you needed to improve your skills.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview followed by in person interview with 2 managers followed by role play. If you get past the role play stage you then meet with the General manager. Typical situational type interview questions asking about previous experiences. Got hired on the spot after meeting with GM and was asked to take urine test right after. In my experience and from what I've seen if they say they'll be in touch with you chances are you did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you exceeded a customers expectations?   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

4 hour long interview with 4 different managers, drug test after all the interviews if you got the job. it was time consuming and pointless for the level of work you will be doing, driving cars around a lot all day and inspecting them for dings and bumps. totally mindless work but yet they take themselves more serious than any government association I've ever seen.

Interview Questions

• Give an example when you had to complete a project on a deadline.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation.

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Start off by answering a few questions, then you get to start the interview. It's a very long process, 3 interviews in one day. I honestly don't understand why there are so many, especially for the position and the pay. It's not like I interviewed for a management position.

Anonymous Employee in Davie, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Davie, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

First a phone interview was conducted, basically a background and experience interview. Was informed on the call to come in for interview for the following week so about 7days. One on one interview and received an email the same day in 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• What is one situation where you had to persuade someone?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got called 4 hours later. Crushed the phone interview a day later. Went in for the in person interview the third day. The computer survey IS A TRAP either way you look at it. If you don't disclose part time jobs you worked even while working full time jobs simultaneously, don't tell them that!!! Or tell them every b.s. Survival job you EVER had in the last 7 years when you apply online. I was given the next phase of interview and summarily sent home without an offer for having been honest.

Interview Questions

• How many jobs did you have in the last 7 years that you didn't list on your application.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Jacksonville, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

as soon I walked into the local dealership I was told to sit in a cubicle and do an online assessment, and the first thing they need is my social security number, I protested and was told by the sales manager either provide it or leave, he also stated that is the company policy and they have done it like that forever...you MUST provide you SS# FIRST to proceed...reluctantly I agreed and also basically signed my life away, then the usual computer screening. Next I had a sit down interview w/ the sales manager and I could tell that because I had protested the providing my SS# first thing--he had no real interest in me. He explained $12/hr while training, then after a month or so, you get minimum wage plus commission, no minimum wage if your commission exceeds the $7.25/hr for the hours you worked, then if they did pay you any minimum hourly wages those wages would be deducted from you next payroll w/ substantial commission to cover it. Hard to believe, but I received a rejection email two days later. My thinking was you are not required to provide your SS# until you are hired. I just interviewed a couple weeks ago.

Interview Questions

• What are the benefits of buying the Ford F-150?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Roseville, CA).

Interview

Applied online, was called within a day for a scheduled phone interview, then followed up with in person interview. I met with a sales manager, 2 managers from non sales departments, then finally the store manager. The process took about 6 hours. It was not until I was asked to submit a urine sample (drug test), that I realized I'd been hired. An offer was not formally made. Great positive vibe at the store.

Interview Questions

• Have I had any felonies, misdemeanors, brushes with the law, etc.   1 Answer