Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at CarMax
- Sales Consultant (123)
- Business Office Associate (60)
- Sales Associate (57)
- Strategy Analyst (53)
- Buyer In Training (39)
- Inventory Associate (16)
- Sales Manager (14)
- Buyer Assistant (12)
- Part Time Sales Associate (8)
- Buyer's Assistant (6)
- Buyer (5)
- Sales (5)
- Detailer (5)
- Business Analyst (4)
- Business Office Administrator (4)
- Human Resources Manager (4)
- Service Manager (4)
- Senior Sales Consultant (3)
- Service Consultant (3)
- Operations Manager (3)
- Operations Manager Trainee (3)
- Manager (3)
- IT Associate (3)
- Reconditioning Associate (3)
- Location General Manager (3)
- Administrative Assistant (3)
- Analyst (3)
- Business Office Manager (3)
- BOA (3)
- Automotive Technician (2)
- No OfferNeutral ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied online. The process took 2+ months. I interviewed at CarMax in September 2015.
Phone interview andvthen in person. You will take a test going backm7 years about your personal habits. You will slso be asked ifbyou told any falsehoods on your application, as n if they are giving you a chance fpr redemption. They do VERY in depth research.
- Why did I want t o leave current job... Answer Question
- No OfferNegative ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.
After initial phone screen with recruiter and having passed the online assessment test, I had phone interview with a hiring manager within the strategy group. The phone interview included the typical niceties but was mainly focused on a single behavioral question and then a case question. To be direct, phone interviews are not the best means of either presenting or responding to a mathematical case question.
- Behavioral Question: Describe you used your analytical ability to address a project/issue/etc... Answer Question
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
Phone interview with a manager, followed by face to face in store interview. Phone interview was a relaxed conversation, questions were not difficult. In store interview was more formal, followed by a role play of selling a vehicle
- Do you have sales experience? 1 Answer
Helpful (3)No OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.
Was told to a lot a few hours for the face to face interview. Arrived at 9am had the first test, then questioned by a manager. Waited a bit and took another computer exam and had a panel interview. Took a math test and then interviewed again by a panel. Was given a drug screening and told to come back on Friday to meet the purchasing manager.
- Tell me about a time where you had to develop a team or individual. Answer Question
Helpful (2)No OfferNegative Experience
I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in August 2015.
1st. Phone Interview set up. Then the day of the interview I was called and was told they wanted to do a face to face interview instead. So, the phone interview was cancelled and we set up a face to face interview for 3 business days later. 2nd. The day before the interview I received a missed call from them asking for me to call them back ASAP. 20 minutes after the first call, I took my break to call but I didn't have to because they were already calling me. Only to find out they are cancelling the interview because they already filled it.
- No questions asked. Wasted my time. Answer Question
- No OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax.
After submitting my resume online, I received a call from the recruiter. I had an initial interview, a pre-screen interview, with her. The recruiter then set me up for a phone interview with the hiring manager.
- Typical questions about my experiences, background, successess, failures, etc. 1 Answer
- No OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Virginia Beach, VA) in August 2015.
They called to schedule a phone interview which they missed and then re-scheduled. Phone interview had basic questions like "why do you want to work at carmax?" In store interview started with a questionair followed by being interviewed by two employees. They asked a lot of standard situational job interview questions, then we went straight out to do the mock car sale.
- Name a time when you received a negative response from a customer and then had to regroup on your sales approach. Answer Question
- No OfferNegative ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied in-person. The process took 6+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in August 2015.
The application process is long and painful. The interviewers do not appear to understand how to conduct proper interviews, and display bias in their questioning and their responses/reactions to your questions. Once the interviews were complete, the process of finding out the state of my application was over a month. I was advised I'd hear by the end of the week. A full week went by. At the end of the following week I was advised that I would be contacted by the end of the next week. No follow ups were done. I finally contacted to inquire about the status, and after 3 days was advised that they decided to pursue other candidates. Their lack of interaction with me during the waiting period resulted in my disinterest in ever working for them. Even if an offer had been made I would have declined. If they treat candidates so shabbily during the interview process, why would anyone expect different treatment once employed there?
- Tell me about a time when you had to deal with a difficult person. Answer Question
- No OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, TX) in August 2015.
Applied for the Sales Consultant Full Time Position at Carmax, online. Did the 2 hour required assessment. Be prepared to spend the whole day doing that. Got a phone interview. Didn't like the interviewer's attitude. He seemed disconnected, and seemed spacey all through the interview. They say they hire people with no experience, but I honestly think experience matters.
- What are 2 main reasons for applying to Carmax. Answer Question
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax.
I was interviewed for grand opening. I was offered the inventory position and declined the offer due to low pay. They then offered me a mechanical position and i accepted
- Why do you want to work here? 1 Answer
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review