CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2014
Updated Oct 18, 2014

Campus Recruieter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

The interview process was a bit intense. I had a total of 4 face to face interviews. 3 of which I had in 1 day and I was there from about 9-4. There were a lot of times I wasn't too sure what was next. A lot of paperwork, and tests to make sure you are the "RIGHT FIT". For the most part, everyone was nice and professional. The only one I didn't like was the final one with the HR Manager.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard "Tell me about a time when". The use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in August 2014.

I filled out the application online and a week or so later they called me to schedule phone interview. I felt that the phone interview went very well (mostly behavioral questions) because they immediately wanted to schedule an in person interview a few days later. When I arrived I was instructed to fill out info on a computer for background checks and answer a few screening questions (criminal history, employment history, etc). After that I waited for the managers interviewing me.

Once they were ready we introduced ourselves and went into an office for the interview. I was surprised at how young they both were and the lead interviewer was one of those people who's so completely dedicated to the company that it's a bit frightening. Anyways they ask more behavioral questions and overall I felt that I answered them just as well as I had on the previous interview. When we were done they said they had to step out for a minute and would be back. They returned a few minutes later to say that they had a more interviews taking place throughout the week but that I should expect to hear from the recruiter after that. The next morning I received an e-mail stating that I didn't get the job.

I really can't figure out where I went wrong. I have many years of customer service experience, offered firm handshakes, dressed professionally, was friendly to everyone in the store while I was waiting, basically everything that you're supposed to do. Clearly they couldn't have had the time to interview more people between my interview and the email. I really wish I knew the reason.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when had to make a quick decision?"   Answer Question

Porter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duarte, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duarte, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

All three interviews were conducted in one whole day. Process took about three hours. There was a computerized characteristic test that was required before the interviews. All employees and interviewers were nice and to the point. Was hired on the spot. Returned a few days later to receive my uniform and proxy / lock box key.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real unexpected questions at the interview. Very basic questions. I would advise over dressing for the interview.   Answer Question
    I never had the impression I had an option to negotiate. Manager informed me that all employees for that position start with a basic pay of $10 per hour.

Buyer In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Phone screen, followed by in store online interview. If you pass the online iterview, you will meet with 2 managers and answer a lot of " tell me about a time" questions. Be specific. If you pass here, you will meet with purchasing manager for more situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult customer you have had. Most difficult Co worker.   View Answer

Business Manager In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Bakersfield, CA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Applied through Linkedin and reached out to a recruiter directly. They have very personable and professional recruiters who are very transparent, however don't always have the all the details about the position. I was scheduled for a phone interview that went well and was very conversational, lots of situation, behavior, and outcome questions. After that I was scheduled to meet with the store management team here locally. I was told to be prepared to spend 3-4 hours here, which I felt was ridiculous, but I wanted the position. I began with a review of my application online and verifying specifics, dates, etc. The thing that I felt was unprofessional was that they specifically ask if you if you have any employment within the past 7 years that you did not list on your application, with a threat that they will pull SSA records to verify. Why? This doesn't seem necessary, especially for a company that does not have an onsight HR team. Anyways, I l forgot to disclose two that were brief temp work/contract jobs that were not relevant to the position and were during my college years. I then had my first interview which was with a service operations support manager who had no clue what he was doing. He was not professional and was never trained how to interview. He drilled me on the specifics of my previous jobs that I did not disclose. I felt like I was interviewing for a government position. After the third degree I was interviewed by the GM. She was very nice, however had no previous retail management experience other than Carmax. I thought this was odd, but apparently she moved up through the ranks and proved herself, so good for her. After the interview I was then asked to take another online test measuring my business acumen and ability to think critically ( math and reasoning skills). This took about an hour, in which I also took a drug test. A week later I was called by the GM and asked if I would be willing to train out of the state, when I had previously been told by the recruiter that this would be local training. I asked where out of state and for how long and was given several answers, but basically anywhere on the west coast or midwest and for months. Having a family and a social life I could not be away for weeks at a time, especially for the salary that was going to be offered. I declined the offer and that was the end of the conversations. I later found out that the person who did get the local position is training in Virginia and he lives here in California.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when...... difficult guest, disagreement with a coworker, innovated or came up with a creative idea, etc.   Answer Question

No flexibility in training location and training was too extensive ( 10 months). Bonus and company car did not go into effect until after training and was required to be relocatable ultimately anywhere. Salary not as competitive as current employer or other retailers. They need to be more upfront during the initial job posting or interview process and need a true HR team with their enormous growth.

Attorney (In-house) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in July 2014.

The application online took about 45 minutes with an unnecessary amount of behavioral questions that were annoying and repetitive. I received a phone call from an in-house recruiter a few days later. I had a phone interview for about 30 minutes with behavioral questions that were at this time relevant. Questions focused on past work experiences...i.e. Tell me about a time that you had difficulty meeting a deadline, etc. About a week after the phone interview I was called by someone else to come in for interview at the main office in Kennesaw. I went in for an interview where I answered some more ridiculous questions via computer and signed off on background check for criminal, credit, education, employment AND social security. Further, I was drug tested on the spot at their facility on same day of interview. I interviewed with 4 people and took about 4 hours. I had extensive background checks before but this is ridiculous and over burdensome for the interview process. It should be done after an offer is made.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions Tell me about a time when....How would your supervisor describe you...Tell me about the most difficult decision you had to make...Tell me about a time you were successful in a project and state what the process and results were   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Charleston, SC

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

I originally applied for a Buyer's Assistant position. I had phone interview with a manager who asked me to come in for a face to face interview the next day. Once you arrive, you sit in a room by yourself and answer questions on a computer such as, "have you ever murdered someone." (If you've murdered someone, I hope you're in prison and not interviewing for a job at Carmax). I interviewed with the same manager from the phone interview for about an hour and then he brought in his manager. All in all, I was there for about 2 hours that day. The next day, I got a call back and they said I was basically overqualified and they wanted me to come back in for another interview for the Business Office Associate position. I figured, better position, better pay. Wrong. I was shocked that they offered me $10/hr after my FOURTH interview. I took the drug test and tentatively accepted the position. Once I got home, I realized that $10 isn't even worth me getting out of bed in the morning so I called back and declined. $10/hr is not acceptable to offer someone with a bachelor's degree as far as I'm concerned. On the plus side, everyone I met at Carmax was very nice and I really think it would have been a fun place to work otherwise.

Interview Questions
    • All behavioral questions. Tell me about a time when...   Answer Question

Pay was not appropriate for my education and background

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Basic management consulting style interview, only at the far lighter end of the spectrum. A basic resume screening was conducted (likely only collected from certain universities), a phone interview took place involving simple behavioral questions and a fairly easy business problem, and then an in-office interview was scheduled. The final round interview I found to be moderately challenging from a case perspective, but quite relaxed in the "fit" portion. This spoke volumes about KMX's interest in getting the right people for their corporate culture, not just those who can do the work.

Interview Questions
    • Combined quantitative/qualitative assessment of growth, development, and acquisition strategies. The case in question combined all the usual data analysis, synthesis, and chart interpretation with an intriguing spatial component. Be on your toes and expect something other than what you'll see stock from Case In Point. Still not nearly as hard as even the first round of BCG/Bain/McKinsey cases.   Answer Question

Management Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in June 2014.

Applied online and was called the next day to set up a phone interview. Interviewed via phone with the manager, and was asked to set up an in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • Mostly behavioral. "What would your previous manager tell me are you strengths and weakness?" "What would you do if you had several tasks to complete in a short amount of time?" "Tell me about a time when you had to work as a team to complete a goal." "Tell me about what attracted you to CarMax."   Answer Question
    I did not ask about salary (I do so at in personal interview after offer made).

Buyer Assistant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in June 2014.

It seemed to take forever. I showed up 10 minutes early and they sat me down at a CBT and I answered about a dozen questions online. They said someone would be in, so I waited about 15 minutes then decided to let someone know I was finished. Another 15 minutes passed and I got up and asked someone who appeared to be more in charge. Finally someone came in and had a print out of the questions I had answered online and verified what I said was true and I had to sign it. Away he went and I waited another 10 minutes. Another interviewer came in for about 5 "have you ever been in a situation" questions. After this, I waited for another 10 minutes and the Senior Buyer came in and asked 10 more "Describe a situtuation where..." questions. Following this, the interview was done and they said they would let me know within a week.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a situation where you had to make a difficult decision.... all questions were like this.   View Answer