CarMax

339 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Manager Assistant Interview

Manager Assistant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Interview Details – I had a phone interview that went really well. mainly asked questions about working habits and attitude. Was asked to attend hiring center, which consists of finishing paper work, agreeing to intensive background check as well as panel interview.

Interview Question – they aren't vague about how you should answer questions. very straight forward.   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Buyer In Training
Hillside, IL

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Interview Details – Initial communication was with a recruiter in VA. She was awesome! Very friendly and personable and prepared me well for the face to face interview. The actual face to face interview came fairly quickly after the phone interview, but set aside about 4 hours. I first interviewed with 2 Senior Buyers, then another buyer took me on a tour of the facility, and then I interviewed with the buyer who took me on the tour as well as the Purchasing Manager. The interview was intense. Be prepared for Behavioral Interview Questions.Definately have specific examples ready - prepare for this interview using the STAR method. While intense, it was clear that the team was very approachable and happy to answer any questions you might have. I got the feeling that the people loved working there and had a ton of fun being there. I definately felt a good vibe!

Interview Question – Please tell us a time when...   View Answer

Reason for Declining – While I would have loved to join the upbeat high energy environment, the pay being offered was lower than my current salaary so unfortunately I had to decline. But if you're entry level or looking to switch career paths, definately check out Carmax! I had a great interview process!

BOA Interview

BOA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – two phone interviews, then they call you in. If they like you in face to fact you'll get hired on the spot. If they want to think about it then they'll let you know by phone.

Interview Question – standard easy questions.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – none

Very Easy Interview

Senior Sales Consultant Interview

Senior Sales Consultant
North Houston, TX

I applied through other source and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Friendly, Organize and Considering of your time.. Clean environments and you was able to take drug test there instead of going around town. The mgr team was kind and very friendly.

Service Manager Interview

Service Manager
Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in June 2010.

Interview Details – Extremely through. Although somewhat intimidating, one understood the culture and that only the best would be hired. Very long and tedious

Interview Question – Question on difficulty with prior supervisor and relationship   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negociation

Very Difficult Interview

Senior Sales Consultant Interview

Senior Sales Consultant
Knoxville, TN

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 6 months - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Well it's not about your job performance

Interview Question – Tell me a time when----   Answer Question

Cosmetic Supervisor Interview

Cosmetic Supervisor
Baltimore, MD

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in March 2012.

Interview Details – Hiring event. Long process. Multiple panel interviews

Interview Question – All basic interview questions   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiation

Buyer Assistant Interview

Buyer Assistant

Interview Details – Found an ad online for hiring. It was a lengthy online application and had many behavioral questions. After finishing the application received a confirmation email saying thank you and due to high volume of applicants we reply to those who best fit our needs and will hold your application for 60 days. I received a call the next day and was very surprised. Did a 15 minute phone interview some behavioral and experience questions also asked what I knew of the company. The man was easy to talk to and took his time to answer my questions as well.. I was invited for a face to face the next week. My best advice is always dress professionally no matter what the company uniform will be. I wore a navy blue skirt suit with fresh make up and my hair pulled back with small closed toe heels. I knew instantly walking in I wanted to work there. Everyone was so friendly and easy to talk to. A great overall positive vibe with happy people . Short computer questionnaire then met with a man for an interview. Mostly behavioral and he followed a company prompt, which I liked. After talking with him for about 20 minutes he sent another person over to do another interview. More behavioral questions and they wrote your answers down. Be yourself, this is key. Relax and be honest. I had a great experience and can't wait to be apart of the team. It's always good to have questions for them and to do some research on the company.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Things such as describe a time you went above and beyond for a customer, difficult situations and how you handled them. Be familiar with the STAR method.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Base pay starting out but happy with it. There seems to be a lot of room for growth in this company.

Regional Director of Loss Prevention Interview

Regional Director of Loss Prevention

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in October 2010.

Interview Details – Use STAR method for interview. Interview with recruiter by phone first, then VP of LP.

Interview Question – Give example of above and beyond customer service that you have provided in a former job.   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Inventory Associate
Houston, TX

I applied online - interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Interview Details – After applying online I received a call from Carmax. The gentleman was polite and seemed sincere. I was given an appointment time to go to Carmax to be interviewed. The woman I dealt with then appeared flustered, and I recalled the extremely complicated company "suggestions" on how to handle the interview process. (Dressing formally made her question if I knew what the job entailed, and the description I gave her threw here as Carmax simply uses titles to disguise the job and they did not make it clear that this was just a porter's position.) I then had to talk to two other people. A young woman who read everything to me as if she were reading a school paper, and a gentleman who didn't know what job I was applying for. They did not bother to do what the phone interviewer said they would do concerning my IDs. I was then told they'd get back to me in a week since they were only "taking applications."

Interview Question – They repeat themselves about having a criminal history which is silly since regardless of how many times they say it wouldn't disqualify a candidate, you can't help but think they'll choose a non-criminal over a criminal.   View Answer