CarMax Interview Questions & Reviews

353 interviews

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Fort Worth, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

3 interviews over 4 hours. Very friendly and comfortable interviews.Interviewers were able to discuss their personal experience with Carmax.The first interviewer also discussed other positions that I might be interested in that I hadn't considered.

Interview Questions
    • Questions were pretty basic and expected for example on question was - can you remember a time when you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Compensation was low.

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Norcross, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in November 2011.

You wait for 2hours to be seen. They ask you the same dumb interview queations that all jobs do. They are hiring all the time becuase the job demands alot for commision only.

Glass door was right and i talked to a rep that works there.

Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I interviewed in-person. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in June 2012.

phone interview, in-person, 2nd in-person with management, hire. questions, security questions, drug-screen, back ground check, tour of store. ss security, dl, benefits package. can be drug out or short 3hrs or 8hrs. be prepared to sit & wait if they like you. do not be alarmed if you don't get an answer right away

Interview Questions
    • Name a difficult time that you had to help a co-worker   Answer Question
    initial offer was good until you saw the environment.

Buyer In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Buena Park, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Buena Park, CA

I interviewed online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Initially got an email questionnaire, followed by a phone interview with a CarMax recruited that lasted 20-30 minutes. A few days later I was contacted to come in for an interview, which was grueling. I showed up at 10am, filled out some information about myself on their computer systems, later interviewed with two buyers in the department, after I took a test on the computer which wasn't very difficult, just tests your analytical and problem solving skills. This was followed by 3 more sets of interviews. All questions in each of the 4 interviews were the same, but re worded. The repetitive questions became draining towards the end and by the very last interview I was a mental mess, considering I hadn't eaten and had been waiting around most of the day since 10 am, and I didn't finish interviewing until 6pm!! Overall the company culture seemed good, employees seem very happy and get along well, based on my 6 hour observation...

Interview Questions
    • Name a time you disagreed with a manager/coworker and how did you resolve it?   Answer Question

Manager Assistant Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

I had a phone interview that went really well. mainly asked questions about working habits and attitude. Was asked to attend hiring center, which consists of finishing paper work, agreeing to intensive background check as well as panel interview.

Interview Questions
    • they aren't vague about how you should answer questions. very straight forward.   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Hillside, IL
    Anonymous Employee in Hillside, IL

I interviewed online. The process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax in May 2014.

Initial communication was with a recruiter in VA. She was awesome! Very friendly and personable and prepared me well for the face to face interview. The actual face to face interview came fairly quickly after the phone interview, but set aside about 4 hours. I first interviewed with 2 Senior Buyers, then another buyer took me on a tour of the facility, and then I interviewed with the buyer who took me on the tour as well as the Purchasing Manager. The interview was intense. Be prepared for Behavioral Interview Questions.Definately have specific examples ready - prepare for this interview using the STAR method. While intense, it was clear that the team was very approachable and happy to answer any questions you might have. I got the feeling that the people loved working there and had a ton of fun being there. I definately felt a good vibe!

Interview Questions

While I would have loved to join the upbeat high energy environment, the pay being offered was lower than my current salaary so unfortunately I had to decline. But if you're entry level or looking to switch career paths, definately check out Carmax! I had a great interview process!

BOA Interview

I interviewed online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

two phone interviews, then they call you in. If they like you in face to fact you'll get hired on the spot. If they want to think about it then they'll let you know by phone.

none

Senior Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  North Houston, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in North Houston, TX

I interviewed through other source. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax.

Friendly, Organize and Considering of your time.. Clean environments and you was able to take drug test there instead of going around town. The mgr team was kind and very friendly.

Service Manager Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I interviewed through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in June 2010.

Extremely through. Although somewhat intimidating, one understood the culture and that only the best would be hired. Very long and tedious

Interview Questions
    • Question on difficulty with prior supervisor and relationship   Answer Question
    No negociation

Senior Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee  in  Knoxville, TN
    Anonymous Employee in Knoxville, TN

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 6 months - interviewed at CarMax.

Well it's not about your job performance