Getting an Interview
Getting an Interview
Interviews for Top Jobs at CarMax
- Sales Consultant (85)
- Strategy Analyst (50)
- Sales Associate (50)
- Business Office Associate (44)
- Buyer In Training (34)
- Inventory Associate (11)
- Sales Manager (11)
- Buyer Assistant (11)
- Part Time Sales Associate (5)
- Service Manager (4)
- Buyer's Assistant (4)
- Buyer (4)
- Detailer (4)
- Business Analyst (3)
- Business Office Administrator (3)
- Business Office Manager (3)
- Analyst (3)
- Sales (3)
- Location General Manager (3)
- Human Resources Manager (3)
- Senior Sales Consultant (3)
- Service Consultant (3)
- Manager (3)
- Programmer (2)
- Operations Manager (2)
- Operations Manager Trainee (2)
- Senior Analyst (2)
- Sales Representative (2)
- IT Associate (2)
- Reconditioning Associate (2)
Helpful (3)Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage InterviewAccepted OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied online. The process took a week – interviewed at CarMax (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2015.
CarMax employs three-tier interview process.
After submitting an application on-line (with includes 30+ minutes of questions), selected individuals are scheduled for a phone screen with on of the location's Sales Managers. This screen is very casual and for me consisted of a review of my background and my motivation for wanting to join CarMax in sales. The screen lasted less than 20 minutes.
Successfully passing the phone screen led to an on-site interview. I was paired with two Sales Managers (one of which was the Senior Sales Manager). After taking an on-line assessment (basically my validating I was not a criminal), the managers took turns asking a series of corporately provided Behavioral Questions. IF one is prepared for this type of interview style, then the interview will go rather smoothly. This took around 45 minutes. Next, I was asked to "role play" selling a car to the Sales Manager (while the Senior Sales Manager took notes). I had been sent information on this role play prior to the interview. Following the basic script (which was provided) allowed for this activity to also go very smoothly. I was asked to take a seat in a waiting area as they compared notes, and was ultimately told that they were recommending me to speak with the Location General Manager.
The third interview was with the Senior Sales Manager and the Location General Manager (LGM). This, again, was driven my a selection of corporately provided Behavioral Questions. At a point during the interview, it was apparently decided by the LGM that an offer would be extended. It was then that the LGM started to provide some very detailed specifics on lead generation, lead flow, commission tiers, and other information. The provision of this level of data allow for my being confident as to the offer and my opportunities for success.
- Behavioral Questions make up the vast majority of the interivews. 1 Answer
One phone screen by a manager, the. A onsite interview with three different managers,then the next week was asked to do a simulation. The simulation is awkward without clear direction. They give u a sheet of paper to look at for like 10 min with policy's on it. Being that you haven't been trained or know what to expect this is extremely difficult. Also they take way to much of your time in the interview process.
- Behavioral Answer Question
I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks – interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.
Submitted resume and about 2 weeks later got a call to schedule an interview. Interview had a brief get to know you period then a really simple case study (there was a correct answer... you will have to do math) and more information about the position. Should hear back in the next few days and if accepted the next step will be a tour of the site culminating with an offer.
- Case study requiring some mathematical reasoning. Answer Question
- No OfferPositive ExperienceEasy InterviewNo OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at CarMax (Frederick, MD) in February 2015.
Whole process took about a week and a half. Applied online and was called for phone interview hours later. Phone interview was basic and lasted 20 minutes. Filled out information on a computer and waited around 20 minutes to start the interview. First person interviewing just asked background information. Met with two new managers for real interview. 20 minutes and about 6-8 questions later the standard interview was over and I moved on to the mock car sale. Watched a short video and one manager role played as a customer and I was evaluated based on my selling technique. Interview was relaxed and managers were good guys. Overall good experience.
- Give us a situation at work where you acted quickly? Answer Question
- No OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult InterviewNo OfferPositive ExperienceDifficult Interview
I applied online. The process took 2 days – interviewed at CarMax (Mount Laurel, NJ) in February 2015.
The interview started with verifying my online application at a computer terminal. All information is verified by the applicant, and the system informs you of work history, and background checks so be sure all is accurate. I went through one on one, as well as panel interviews. Each is separated by a waiting period. My total interview time was about three hours on the first day, and was asked to come back for a customer service role play on an alternate day. Most sales and customer service positions at CarMax require the role play interview. I did get invited back for he role play interview which took about a half hour, but was not chosen for the position.
The company is very thorough, and it seems to be a great place to work. If you are serious about a position here, brush up on the S-T-A-R method and bring your "A" Game! Good Luck!
- Most interview questions are in S-T-A-R format so prepare for it.
Here are some questions asked:
1) Tell me a time when you went out of your way to help a fellow employee.
2) Tell me a time when you went above and beyond to provide customer service.
3) Tell me a time when you had to handle a dis-satisfied customer.
4) Tell me about something that you took upon yourself to learn at your present job. Answer Question
- Most interview questions are in S-T-A-R format so prepare for it.
I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks – interviewed at CarMax (Durham, NC) in February 2015.
I applied for the strategy analyst summer intern position. The kind of first round was an online exam, and it was about mathematics an statistics. The second round was on-campus interview. The whole process was one hour and it was a combination of behavior and case interview. Be prepare to do some maths problem. It was not hard because the interviewer will go through the problem with you, and he will point out your mistake directly.
- Can you go through with me about a time when you solve a problem with analytical skills? 1 Answer
- No OfferPositive ExperienceAverage InterviewNo OfferPositive ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks – interviewed at CarMax in February 2015.
I applied online through my college career center and got a notification to take an online assessment a few weeks later. I was then contact by a recruiter to set up a phone interview and the questions were mainly behavioral except for one case question at the end. I got a call back after an hour and was invited for a second interview. The second interview was much longer with a more complicated case question.
- Describe a time you lead a group project Answer Question
- Accepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy InterviewAccepted OfferPositive ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online. The process took a week – interviewed at CarMax (Charlotte, NC) in February 2015.
The interview was a long process. I had five rounds one was with a computer to ensure I was not a rapist, murder, or drug dealer. The questions are through. All questions were read off of the paper. All of my interviews were kind, personable, and seemed to really enjoy their jobs.
- Situational and behavioral. Answer Question
- No OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage InterviewNo OfferNeutral ExperienceAverage Interview
I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks – interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in February 2015.
A thirty minute interview with just a case component. We walked straight into the case.The case is not super difficult and there is a correct answer.There was no behavioral aspect to this interview.
- Case question about one of their auto centers Answer Question
- Accepted OfferNeutral ExperienceEasy InterviewAccepted OfferNeutral ExperienceEasy Interview
I applied online – interviewed at CarMax (Tampa, FL) in February 2015.
took 45 minutes, hired on the spot, did the drug test there- which was awkward peeing in a cup and handing it to the person who interviewed you. It was pretty easy, did the walk around on a vehicle in the showroom
- basic interview questions, have you do a walk around on a vehicle Answer Question
Is this helpful? The community relies on everyone sharing – Add Anonymous Interview Review