CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Aug 30, 2015

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX) in July 2015.

Interview

Theyy called me to schedule a phone interview. In the phone interview, theywent over my resume. Then said their location was too far from where i lived so they were going to transfer my application to a closet location. Haven't heard from them since.

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work at carmax? Why do you think you would be a good salesperson? What does it take to sell a car? What are some possitive and negative aspects about the job? How would you habdle an angry customer? What is your work experience? Why carmax? What do you know about carmax?***   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Gilbert, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CarMax (Gilbert, AZ) in July 2015.

Interview

After completing basic background questions on computer application, interviewed with 2 sales managers, then conducted mock sale of car, then interviewed with general manager who gave me a cup to pee in right then and there.

Interview Questions

• Just the basics but be prepared with specific examples.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Raleigh, NC) in July 2015.

Interview

It was quite tiring really. I felt the questions asked were repeated in many ways. I sometimes felt the interview was testing my endurance levels because it looked like it wasn't going to end and i was beginning to get irritated repeating the same thing.

Interview Questions

• What is your best asset how would that make you a good sales associate?   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks and was my final interview (out of 2) I was in the office for about 3 hours. All in all, the interview process consisted of a phone interview, then proceeded to a face to face interview which was dense. When I say dence I mean it took forever and their were A LOT of steps involved. First they sit you down to do a questionnaire on a computer that has questions like, "have you been to jail?" or "what's your work history" ect. From there I sat with the hiring manager and that asked situational questions (used the STAR method) to gauge your ability to sell and be a helpful person. I was asked to do a drug test on the spot then was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Be specific and tell me about a time where you tried to sell something and the customer did not want your product or service. How did you bring back the sale?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

Plain phone interview. The interviewer did not seem too engaged and this was before the interview started. Probably talked to a million people before me. Did not like his attitude. I answered the questions thoroughly and yet did not get an offer.

Business Office Associate/Management Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Littleton, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Littleton, CO) in June 2015.

Interview

I was introduced to Don, who assisted with my interview and had started off by telling me that the interview would be awhile due to the process in which we had to go through. Throughout the interview process, I was interviewed by two different people, for three meetings, which is the most thorough interview I've ever had.

Interview Questions

• What were the reasons in which you are currently not working at your past jobs?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Columbus, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Columbus, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was scheduled for a phone interview and then called by a manager on the agreed upon date and time. The interview was obviously scripted and the interviewer did not really care about expanding with your answers since the questions were so specific. It was honestly a bit awkward and due to the questions being scripted, I did not feel it was a very personal interview. Overall, I was not impressed with Carmax throughout the process.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lancaster, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Lancaster, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

First, online questionnaire. Then they call and arrange an in-person interview. Once you arrive there you complete more web forms. Then you're interviewed by two sales managers. After this you are asked to make a pretend sale. (They would have already sent you through email the particulars for this section). Once that is complete, you are finished.

Interview Questions

• One time that you had to promote your product or service to a client/customer.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Lauderdale, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Fort Lauderdale, FL) in June 2015.

Interview

Applied online and received a call the next day from the recruiter scheduling a Face to Face interview for Friday at 3PM. When i got there i was prompted to sit at a computer and fill out a questionnaire asking: have you since your 18th birthday committed a sexual offense, done any illegal drug, committed murder etc; After that i had an interview with the Business Office Manager that went really well, and he was really nice, he gave a detailed description of what i would be doing and had me sign paper work agreeing, allowing them to run my credit, and background check etc; i was extended an offer at this point. All in all, DONT waste your time! They only pay $10.00 for FULL-TIME position(keep in mind i am located in Miami which is amongst one of the highest cost of living states)

Interview Questions

• Why do you want to work for Carmax? Name a situation where you had to over come customer objection? Name a Time where you asked another associate who WASNT management for help and why?   Answer Question

Team Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax in June 2015.

Interview

In one word : GRUELING! It was an extremely emotionally draining process. Several phone interviews followed by an in person "session" where you go thru several panel interviews, drug testing, background testing and an aptitude test. Throughout this process they feed you lunch. Overall the day lasted 5 hours only to not get the job or even be contacted about whether you were selected or not. Great company but I don't think I would ever want to go through that again.

Interview Questions

• Too many questions. ..seems like they used the DDI method of interviewing   Answer Question