CarMax

Updated Nov 24, 2014

Purchasing Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Laurel, MD

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at CarMax.

phone interview followed by a series of panel interviews with behavioral based questions. Had 2 panel interviews with regional teams and additional interviews at the store level with the senior team. Process included a role play exercise and review of P&L document to gauge understanding.

Interview Questions
    salary and vacation was negotiable

Inventory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in September 2014.

It was pretty standard stuff. Just past experience. The job is entry level, porting cars around the lot. Seems like you can get promoted if you put time into it and do good work. You answer situational questions with at least two different managers. And then there's the computer portion that basic asks if you do drugs or steal. They said they would let me know in a week. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you used leadership in a past job.   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time when you dealt with an angry customer and how you handled it   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in September 2014.

10 minute telephone interview. Asked basic background and experience questions. Invited to face-to-face interview. Computer questionnaire on site. Met with three separate interviewers. Sales presentation on car. If they like you then meet with location GM. Job offered. Drug test.

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Orlando, FL

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in August 2014.

I filled out the application online and a week or so later they called me to schedule phone interview. I felt that the phone interview went very well (mostly behavioral questions) because they immediately wanted to schedule an in person interview a few days later. When I arrived I was instructed to fill out info on a computer for background checks and answer a few screening questions (criminal history, employment history, etc). After that I waited for the managers interviewing me.

Once they were ready we introduced ourselves and went into an office for the interview. I was surprised at how young they both were and the lead interviewer was one of those people who's so completely dedicated to the company that it's a bit frightening. Anyways they ask more behavioral questions and overall I felt that I answered them just as well as I had on the previous interview. When we were done they said they had to step out for a minute and would be back. They returned a few minutes later to say that they had a more interviews taking place throughout the week but that I should expect to hear from the recruiter after that. The next morning I received an e-mail stating that I didn't get the job.

I really can't figure out where I went wrong. I have many years of customer service experience, offered firm handshakes, dressed professionally, was friendly to everyone in the store while I was waiting, basically everything that you're supposed to do. Clearly they couldn't have had the time to interview more people between my interview and the email. I really wish I knew the reason.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me about a time when had to make a quick decision?"   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Interview was pretty easy not much happened just asked a lot of questions and then had to take a test on the computer. Which took bout 30 min you have at least three interviews if they really like you or think you are a good fit for the job. Overall it was a fun experience just didn't like the sitting around waiting on the next person which is the part that took the longest I was there for about two hours.

Campus Recruieter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

The interview process was a bit intense. I had a total of 4 face to face interviews. 3 of which I had in 1 day and I was there from about 9-4. There were a lot of times I wasn't too sure what was next. A lot of paperwork, and tests to make sure you are the "RIGHT FIT". For the most part, everyone was nice and professional. The only one I didn't like was the final one with the HR Manager.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard "Tell me about a time when". The use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Buyer In Training Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Dallas, TX

I applied through other source. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Phone screen, followed by in store online interview. If you pass the online iterview, you will meet with 2 managers and answer a lot of " tell me about a time" questions. Be specific. If you pass here, you will meet with purchasing manager for more situational questions.

Interview Questions
    • Most difficult customer you have had. Most difficult Co worker.   View Answer

Mechanical Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Fort Myers, FL

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in August 2014.

Lots of redundant questions. Had a total of 4 interviews. Three of them on the same day. I sat there for 3 hours for this process due to having to wait for each new person. Once they decide to offer you a position you are not allowed to leave the building until you've submitted a urine sample for drug screening.

Interview Questions
    • Lots of psych eval questions. Describe a time when......   Answer Question
    Pay is non negotiable. they determine which position to offer based on your experience and current ASE certs. Once hired it is very easy to move up in the company.

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Marsh, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in White Marsh, MD

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in August 2014.

Multiple interviews: One online Questionnaire, Several In-Person Interviews with ideal questions/structure & one role-play (Make or Break). During the role-play activity you are required to sell a vehicle to the interviewer. Not very difficult but can be awkward within the sales floor.

No negotiation

Porter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duarte, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Duarte, CA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

All three interviews were conducted in one whole day. Process took about three hours. There was a computerized characteristic test that was required before the interviews. All employees and interviewers were nice and to the point. Was hired on the spot. Returned a few days later to receive my uniform and proxy / lock box key.

Interview Questions
    • There were no real unexpected questions at the interview. Very basic questions. I would advise over dressing for the interview.   Answer Question
    I never had the impression I had an option to negotiate. Manager informed me that all employees for that position start with a basic pay of $10 per hour.