CarMax

Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Consultant Interview

Sales Consultant
Frederick, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online which they ask you to do even if you're at the store. Answered a long questionnaire and received an email after a phone call confirming an interview. Went in for interview and was again placed at a computer to answer another questionnaire which I was then interviewed on based on the answers I entered.

Interview Question – Overall pretty generic questions; How have you persuaded someone into being interested in one thing over another, what sales experience do you have etc.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – 100% commission, brand new store, wasn't trying to struggle through the over staffed batting order to afford my rent at the end of the first month. However, this is a great opportunity for someone trying to get started with sales, great training and everyone is happy to be working there.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Strategy Analyst

I applied through college or university and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – I applied through my university and was selected for a first round on campus. The interview was the usual, except you go through a small case study problem involving simple math calculations.

Interview Question – Involved a simple algebra system of equations type problem that dealt with maximizing CarMax employee efficiency and profit   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Sterling, VA

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in January 2014.

Interview Details – Applied via their website. Online application took about two hours and consisted of 2 question and answer sections, asking anything from drug history to work related what-if's. Once the online application was complete I got a phone interview call 2 days afterwords, consisting of general interview questions and lasting about 10min. After the phone interview I was scheduled for a in-person interview the following week. The in-store interview consisted of another computer form asking questions relating to any criminal past or prior criminal activity you may have committed followed by a long face to face interview with two managers, who were not sales managers.

After answering questions about prior work experience and giving examples of a time when I (fill in the blank) they ask you to watch a short video and then give take you on a mock sales run with one of their cars. Be warned that they ask you study ONE vehicle on their website before coming in for the exercise, they did NOT use that vehicle with me, nor one similar to it. After the mock sale they talk privately and make their decision then if you will be hired. If you are hired they will instantly give you a urine sample cup and make you fill out forms, if they say "we will get back to you" or "we have more interviews to conduct" and let you walk out the door, you have not gotten the job.

They are very polite through the entire process, and it will give you vast insight to how the company works even if you are not hired. It is a *very* organized process.

One suggestion: On the mock sales test, if you do not know an answer then freely express that you do not know, and that you will find the answer out "when you get back to the showroom." If you fail the mock sales test, you will not be hired no matter how well the question and answer portion went. The test will end when you or they ask to take a test drive. (The magic words.) This was my downfall in the end as I was not as prepared as I had thought. Hindsight is always 20/20

Interview Question – Help me determine why this (insert vehicle here) is best for my needs.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Sales Associate
Hartford, CT

I applied online and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in January 2014.

Interview Details – Submitted online application twice, once for part time indicating two evenings I could not work, once for full time with full availability. Was only called back on the latter, so when submitting your application be sure to indicate you can work whenever they want you.

Management assistant called to offer a phone interview, scheduled for later that day. The call never came, when I followed up the next day they claimed to have lost my number in the system and did the interview on the spot. Basic weed-out questions, nothing serious. Was told I would be called later that day or the next to schedule an on-site interview, but again no call came. Follow up the next day led to more run-around, with an interview scheduled the following week.

On site interview consists of a very thorough computer questionnaire asking you to admit to any drug use, criminal or driving record incidences, any employers you left off your résumé or application and why, if you've been fired before and why, etc. Throughout you are strongly encouraged to be open and honest, as they ensure you they will conduct an extensive background check. Following this was an interview by a sales manager, more of the same probing background questions and emphasis on the effort they will take to verify all details. Beyond that were a selection of standard behavioral-based questions: leadership, customer service, etc. Finally was their so-called "mock sale", in which you select a car ahead of time and are then asked to provide examples of questions you might ask a potential customer to determine if the car is a good fit for them. There was a period to ask questions, and then you are sent on your way. Call-back promised within 48 hours.

Once again, no call-back came. Upon following up the next week I was told a few applications were still under review and that mine was among them, I should hear back in a few days or so. Another week passed and still no call, at which time I again called to follow up, was told they would look into the delay and get back to me later that day. A few hours later, a rejection email came.

Considering the disorganized nature of the entire process, the complete lack of follow up on their end, and the fact that the interviews that day were all with sales managers only, I believe they may well have been covering churn. In fact, this particular location seems to be "hiring" all the time. All in all, a waste of my time.

Interview Question – The mock sale was awkward: Ask the "customer" questions about a car they already know they want - it's completely backwards from what you would expect.   View Answer

Buyer Assistant/Office Interview

Rochester, NY

I applied online and the process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax in January 2014.

Interview Details – The process is a three step process. After applying online, I got a phone call with some basic questions about what I know about the company. Then I was invited to an in person interview at a hotel (store is getting built). They was having mass interviews. The computer system was down, so I did not have to take a computer test as there was 2 rooms with computers. The person interviewing me, didn't know I was there for two different positions. He was frank about the one position about not being a stepping stone to a Buyer position and talked about the position. The questions was all situational based. Unfortunately my phone was on silent (was driving) when they called back and my voice mail box was full.... so when I called back I got a fax machine. So I did not get invited to the 3rd phase.

Interview Question – There was none. The interview questions was situational based from your experience and how you handle different task. (give bad news, someone who is conformational, and etc)   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – It took about 3 to 4 weeks for the process. A former boss recommended me for the position. My name was forwarded and the process was on from there. Carmax really grills the folks they want to on-board. If it's not logic testing it's behavioral based questioning. I appreciate that they take their time through the interview process. Makes me feel like I'm going to work for a competent employer. I went through 4 interviews! So if you don't like interviews and get all types of nervous talking to a potential boss and/or colleagues, this is not the job for you! Overall I enjoyed the process, from the recruiters down to the employees! Job well done!

Interview Question – How do you delegate efficiently?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't need to, offer was perfect! Felt like I won the lottery!

Business Office Associate Interview

Business Office Associate

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – Was contacted one week after submitting online application. Initial contact was friendly and brief - the woman I spoke with set up a next-day phone interview with me. After completing the phone interview, I was told that I would be contacted within a week if they wanted to continue on with the process. I was contacted by the same woman two days later and asked to come in for an in-store interview (scheduled for after the weekend). The in-store interview was about 2 hours, half of which was spent waiting for interviewers. It started with a brief online interview questionnaire asking simple questions about my work/life history (drug use, jobs omitted on application, history of theft?). I was interviewed, first, by a gentleman from a different department (standard interview questions, What do you know about CarMax? along with incident questions). I was then interviewed by a couple of managers (many of the same questions) and told they would be in contact with me within the next couple of weeks. I was contacted the next day and scheduled to come back in for a follow-up interview (scheduled for next week). All staff members I encountered were friendly and hospitable.

Interview Question – No unexpected, difficult questions. However, when being asked "incident questions", like 'Tell me about a time when you had to make a difficult decision in a quick manner...', they are looking for specific answers, nothing generalized.   Answer Question

Senior Analyst Interview

Senior Analyst
Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax in March 2010.

Interview Details – The interview was pretty general and they did not ask any out-of-the-box questions. There were questions from various people representing various sub-groups (I think this was to determine where you might fit in best). The questions dealt with probability, reading real estate maps, and other reasoning questions. When you were stumped, the interviewers did a good job of talking through with you.

Interview Question – pick a place on the map for a store   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I did not negotiate on this offer because it was the first job I took and, at the time, I did not have another offer to negotiate with.

Sales Consultant Interview

Sales Consultant
San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in March 2010.

Interview Details – 3 part interview, intial solo, group, and final onboarding. Also you have to act out selling a car. . Lots of situational questions like : Name a time you went above and beyond at your previous job , a time when you had to go above management , the hardest part of your job etc.

Interview Question – Probably the one about going over your bosses head.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't any negotiation at Carmax.

PT Customer Service Interview

Kennesaw, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – You first take a test and if you pass that you move into a small room and meet with HR. They ask you about 30 questions and write down all of your answers. After that I met with 2 managers who asked me 30 different questions. All in all I was there for 3hrs. They said they would let me know either way which they did not and I found so rude. Pay is low about 11hr but you can wear jeans to work.

Interview Question – No questions were hard   Answer Question