CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Apr 9, 2015
Updated Apr 9, 2015

Business Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

Interview

The screening process is fairly tedious, and between the assessment test (which had about 18 questions to do, but is timed fairly quickly) and the personality test (which is untimed and has 300 questions) I would allot 2-3 hours. You have the opportunity to practice the tests, which is fortunate between it's always unwise to show up cold for any kind of standardized test.

Interview Questions

• Just the 300 personality questions. I was surprised it required so much at an early interview stage and seems to undervalue potential employees' time.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CarMax (Rochester, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The process started with an online application, and followed with a phone interview. The phone interview was relatively straight forward and not difficult. It was more of a casual conversation.

I was then scheduled for an in-person interview. Things got more interesting at this point. When I arrived, they sat me in front of a computer to answer some brief questions about my previous employment. I then interviewed with one sales manager who went over my answers to that the survey on the computer. The third phase of the interview was talking with two more sales managers at the same time. Phase four included a role playing exercise where the three of use went out in the garage bay area and I acted as though I was selling one of the two managers a car.

Between the phases of the interview, I spent a lot of time sitting and waiting in the lobby area. While the actual interviews were not unusually long, the whole process took about three and a half hours.

Interview Questions

• The questions on the computer survey were interesting. They wanted to know if the candidate had ever stolen anything from a previous employer. Another question asked if one had ever received discipline at a previous job. The questions were presented from an angle of "It's ok if you did, just let us know. It's perfectly normal." The whole process was really bizarre.   Answer Question

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I applied for the position, got a call from hr within a week to setup a phone interview. Had my phone interview. Got a call back about a week or so to set up an in person interview. Arrived at my in person interview where I met with the Hr lady I spoke with over the phone. She immediately set me up on the computer to go over questions like "are you a criminal" in diff ways as well as past employment questions. After you pass that you fill out paperwork. The paperwork is for background checks. I then had a manager from the buyer side come talk to me and ask me generated questions that came from my computer questions. Then the asst manager and lead business office associate came in and tagged teamed me. Finally the manager over the business office came in and interviewed me.I was offered the job on the spot

Interview Questions

Negotiation

Not really negotiable, standard pay for everyone then an increase after training

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Very thorough interview questions lots of behavioral questions so be prepared to have some specific situations in mind. Phone interview about 4 questions and got a face to face. Got on the computer was asked a few questions. Didn't take very long, if you don't answer the questions wrong. Talked with 3 different managers and got hired on the spot.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you overcame a difficult and frustrating work experience?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Greensboro, NC) in December 2014.

Interview

The hiring process took about two weeks. I had a phone interview and then was later contact for a second interview. The interview took about two hours. They asked me questions about my previous experience and if I had any sales experience. It was a very calm nice setting. I had to roleplay for them and sell them a Toyota Camry which was fun. I didnt know much about sales, I did ALOT of reseach and studying before i went for the second interview.

Interview Questions

• Have you ever went above and beyond for a customer?   1 Answer

Negotiation

The hiring manager said he had two questions. The second question would depend on the first. He asked me what i expect in the next 5 years I answered then he said ok well I dont usually ask the second question but I want to ask you...when can you start?! Just have super confidence and be PREPARED!

Detailer Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Nashville, TN) in December 2014.

Interview

I applied for the detailer position at a local Carmax. I went in with high hopes because this is something that I enjoy doing. A lady came and got me, took me to an office where I filled out a questionnaire on how many times I have taken stuff from a company, how many times I do drugs at work, etc. I am clean as a whistle so, it didn't take that long. Later, another lady came and got me. We went to another office where she read me a series of questions verbatim, while she took a few notes. This lady was very attentive. She was the maintenance supervisor. Then a man came and got me and we went to yet another office for more questions. He was a sales manager. He sat at the desk facing me and the windows behind me. He would ask me a question about my previous employment and, then he would zone out like he was watching what was going on on the sales floor. He did this on every question. He did take notes on a couple of the questions but, it was like he was just going through the motions. It was like I was wasting his time. After we were finished, he told me that Carmax would contact me by email on whether or not I got the job. The very next day, I got the email saying Thanks but No Thanks. It was like they were not even wanting to hire someone who has a passion for this position. That position would have been a great fit for me. I think I could have shined (no pun intended) in that position. I think there would have been growth opportunities with paint and body work in the future.

Interview Questions

• There were not any question that were out of the ordinary. It seemed like they were afraid that someone would do drugs and steal a car from them rather than finding an honest hard working employee for the position. It seemed like that they wanted every little tidbit of information on my background right down to the zip code that I was at 7 years ago.   1 Answer

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA).

Interview

Applied for a job as a Strategy Analyst and got an email the next day asking to take an assessment. I took the assessment and after about 2 or 3 questions, I just gave up after a while and clicked my way to the end.

Interview Questions

• The assessment was absolutely insane. Who does that and why would companies put people through that?   1 Answer

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax (Doral, FL).

Interview

Application was done on line and a call was received after a few months. Interview was really easy, nothing to sweat about. Very straight forward question - If you have been at any job field, it is hard to believe the silly questions the at the interview.

Interview Questions

I was forced to go back 3 times for their incompetence for not gathering the necessary information at the time I was getting hire. Then, a few phone calls followed after that and a personal visit to the store where nobody knew anything about I was talking about. At the end, I was excited to obtain the offer; however, I was misled when I was told by one of the managers that they would work with my schedule from another part time job I have. So, I decided to withdraw myself from this opportunity after all the issues confronted during and after the interview.

I still think Carmax is a great company but the Doral location is very disorganized.

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The actual process went pretty smooth. I applied back in October not expecting to hear anything back because of previous experience applying with them. Randomly I recieved a phone call from the manager assistant asking me if I was still interested and was wondering if I would want to set up a phone interview for the next day. I then had my phone I interview and when I passed that I had an in store interview. When I first arrived I had to fill out some paperwork and do an online assessment. This assessment asked me questions about crimes which not. I did this with the same person that set up my phone interview. After waiting for about 15 minutes I intervied with a manger and was asked a series of behavioral questions and typical why do you want to work here questions. Then I was interviewed by another manager in the same department and was asked another series of behavioral questions. Then the two managers went and talked for about 15 minutes and then I was offered the job. It was very nice the whole entire process but it did take longer than normal interviews so just be prepared.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate the pay seemed fair for the job.

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

applied online, received a phone call a few days later. Group interview, asks the group to tell us about ourselves and why we want to be a sales representative. Toured around the facility, and said would call those who had prospects back