CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

Part Time Sales Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Phoenix, AZ) in March 2015.

Interview

Online application which led to a phone interview followed by a in person interview. Board of two managers, and had to sell car in mock scenario. Was fairly easy just a little nerve racking not knowing what I was stepping into. The manager and Location Gen. Manager where very proffesional and easy to talk too.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

applied online at selected office, they called back a hour after i submitted it. The online process they require is a time consuming investment, but was a good experience which helps them find proper matches for the organization.

Business Office Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norfolk, VA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Norfolk, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

It was long you have to do the basic computer questions are you a murder and such I answered some of the questions yes (Do you know someone who is using drugs) and what did you do about it.Then I had an interview with one of the sales mangers and he asked basic what would you do questions (I would have lots of situations in which you shine for this interview) Then the final interview where there was two people.

Interview Questions

• When was a time you had to provide costumer service to an upset costumer? What did you do and how did they respond.   Answer Question

CarMax IT Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CarMax in March 2015.

Interview

It started with an oncampus interview. The interviewer was really nice and personable. About 2 days later got a phone call from recruiter about on-site interview. Few weeks later I went to visit their office and it was great. The recruiter and interviewers were nice and welcoming. I got an offer within another week.

Interview Questions

• Standard behavioral questions like how do you handle conflicts, what do you do if you strongly disagree with your boss, does your resume entirely reflects who you are etc. Technical: Basic SQL questions like select, insert, delete etc   Answer Question

Customer Relations Analyst Interview

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in March 2015.

Interview

1. Phone interview with HR 2. Long in person interview - 4 HOURS! 2 Panels of about 2 people each 3. Background check information - Asked questions regarding your last positions 4. Reading/Writing & Logic Test 5. Drug Test Overall my experience was OK, I thought I was doing well until I interviewed with the Hiring Manager, who seemed sort of standoffish. Sent a nice thank you letter to the hiring manager and about 3 hours later received a call from HR notifying me that they decided to pursue other candidates and that they would would like to consider me for the receptionist role, which was a step lower then the customer relations role. At which point I felt like I had wasted my time, why call me in if you felt I wasn't qualified to begin with.I doubt I will ever apply here again...

Interview Questions

• What motivates you? Where do you see yourself in the future?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Interview

You start of with a phone interview and move to a In store interview where you will be asked scenario questions. Afterwards, you will be asked to role play. The role play consists of you going out to a car and being able to guide the customer through the process.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to sell a product to a customer who didn't want it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiations.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I only had a phone interview where they start off with a business case and then they describe the company. The business case involved two main questions. They give you a scenario and then they give you some time to work through the problem. The problems are not too hard, but can throw you for a loop if you are not expecting it.

Interview Questions

• The first question was an easy computational one and the last one involved a system of equations to solve for the answer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

CarMax employs three-tier interview process. After submitting an application on-line (with includes 30+ minutes of questions), selected individuals are scheduled for a phone screen with on of the location's Sales Managers. This screen is very casual and for me consisted of a review of my background and my motivation for wanting to join CarMax in sales. The screen lasted less than 20 minutes. Successfully passing the phone screen led to an on-site interview. I was paired with two Sales Managers (one of which was the Senior Sales Manager). After taking an on-line assessment (basically my validating I was not a criminal), the managers took turns asking a series of corporately provided Behavioral Questions. IF one is prepared for this type of interview style, then the interview will go rather smoothly. This took around 45 minutes. Next, I was asked to "role play" selling a car to the Sales Manager (while the Senior Sales Manager took notes). I had been sent information on this role play prior to the interview. Following the basic script (which was provided) allowed for this activity to also go very smoothly. I was asked to take a seat in a waiting area as they compared notes, and was ultimately told that they were recommending me to speak with the Location General Manager. The third interview was with the Senior Sales Manager and the Location General Manager (LGM). This, again, was driven my a selection of corporately provided Behavioral Questions. At a point during the interview, it was apparently decided by the LGM that an offer would be extended. It was then that the LGM started to provide some very detailed specifics on lead generation, lead flow, commission tiers, and other information. The provision of this level of data allow for my being confident as to the offer and my opportunities for success.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions make up the vast majority of the interivews.   1 Answer

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Applied through college job board. Contacted for a phone screen, and then a follow up interview call. The call lasted 1.5 hours, and included a very difficult case study that I wasn't notified about or prepared for. We were instructed not to use a computer or calculator, but the formulas required weren't exactly day to day common. The first half of the phone interview was a basic skills/situational interview.

Interview Questions

• Case study regarding potential locations and statistical returns for two proposed stores   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I had to take an online assessment which wasn't bad. Then had a first round phone interview. It was about 45 minutes. Started with behavioral questions and ended with a business case. I felt rushed throughout the business case and the interviewer didn't help out with it.

Interview Questions

• How would you balance the amount of customer traffic you receive if you were a manager at a CarMax location?   Answer Question