CarMax Interview Questions

Updated Aug 31, 2015

Overnight Detailer Interview

Anonymous Employee in Fort Worth, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Fort Worth, TX) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied for the position online. Received an unprofessional call 2 weeks later. Representative asked basic questions regarding availability and experience. He then asked me to come in for an interview the next day. Interview was at 9am and I arrived at 8:45am. Was instructed by Representative to enter through service center since Dealership doesn't open until 10am and to ask to be directed to hiring center. I did just that and they said no Managers were available at the time, for me to wait in the service center waiting area. I waited until 9:15 when I asked another employee the same instruction. They then apologized and took me to their Hiring rep. She wasn't in her office so I had to wait, which was turned out to be the pattern for the entire interview process. Once she saw me, she led me to an associates office to take an "online interview." They confirmed the information I provided regarding my work/criminal/and other histories. Once that was complete (about 15 min), I was instructed to wait while another manager would come to talk to me regarding the information i provided in the online interview. Waited about 5-10 min when an assistant manager took me back into that same office to ask me questions the online interview prompted to need answers to regarding employment history I had left out. Once i answered his questions (about 20-30 mins) he asked me to wait while the next manager came to interview me. I continued waiting another 5-10 mins until another manager took me to another office to answer "thought process" or "situational" questions. We completed his interview at 10:40am. He then asked if i would mind "going to lunch" and returning at 12:05pm to continue the next interview with a manager from the detailing department so that the next manager wouldn't have to "rush" through the interview before they went to lunch. When i returned, He took me back into another office, asked me more situational questions and further questions regarding why i'd be good to carmax and the position, informed me more of the position, and answered at this point any questions I may have regarding the position, pay, and hours. He then asked me to wait while he called who I thought would be conducting the final and 5th interview of the day. The Manager took me into another office, asked me the same questions the previous manager had regarding my work history, experience, why i'd fit the position, etc. Answered any further questions I had. Then asked me to wait while he reached the Senior site manager. I then was greeted again by the final two managers I had previously interviewed with and was told I was offered the position, conditionally. I then met with the Senior manager who went over the 5 point background check they would run (credit/Social Security, Driving records, Drug screen/urine, Employment Reference, and Criminal history) explaining how serious it was and how crucial my honesty was to the hiring process, second guessing every answer I provided him. I then was taken to the bathroom to give a urine sample. Returned to the HR office to sign agreements and contracts then provided my first week training schedule and rate of pay. I accepted the offer however I'm still unsure if I will keep the job because I have other offers.

Interview Questions

• Provide a situation in the work or educational history where you had multiple tasks with deadlines. How did you react and handle the situation? Did you meet your deadlines?   Answer Question

Service Consultant/Customer Advisor Interview

Anonymous Employee in Chattanooga, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Chattanooga, TN).

Interview

Conducted two separate interviews, panel style (two or three interviewers), professional style questions asked during interview. Grand opening store so everyone seemed excited about the store opening. Explained company core values and where the company was projected to go in the future.

Interview Questions

• Explain to me a time when your manager or teacher had you doing something you disagreed with? How did you accomplish the task?   Answer Question

Negotiation

None

Business Office Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax in April 2015.

Interview

Applied on a Monday called for an phone interview Friday, in person interview the following Monday. When I first walked in they put me at a computer to answer very general question about criminal history. After that I met with the assistant manager, then sales manager, then the head manager of the business office.

Receptionist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

Applied online, phone interview, in person interview. The interview at the location was all over the place and had multiple parts. It took almost five hours with them bouncing you from person to person, test to test. You have to sit and wait in a holding area with a bunch of other people between the interview portions. There is a panel interview as well. It's a long brutal process for a $10 an hour job.

Interview Questions

• Typical questions like why are you interested and what makes you qualified. They do make you take a few tests and a criminal record questionnaire.   Answer Question

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax in April 2015.

Interview

Rec'd a call to set up a phone interview it was about 15 minutes. At the end was offered the opportunity to move forward to the next step which was a face to face interview. I met with 3 managers in one day. After that I was scheduled for a second interview which was the day I was offered the position.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you had to deal with a difficult customer.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Anonymous Employee in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

After online application there is a phone screen and an in person interview. The in person interview consists mainly of "tell me about a time when.." Behavioral type questions. There is also a mock sales exercise where you attempt to take a customer through the sales experience at Carmax. The managers interviewing you are looking for how you interact with customers. Overall fairly straightforward interview process and not too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to sell a product the customer did not seem interested in? Multiple tell me about a time questions. Utilize the STAR method.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Set commission structure.

Buyer's Assistant Interview

Anonymous Employee in Savannah, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeks. I interviewed at CarMax (Savannah, GA) in April 2015.

Interview

one on the phone interview, two interviews in person, second one the manager offered me the position. The interviews were fairly easy, a lot of waiting around because of how the departments operate and how their interview process works. They have you interview with several people from both the department you want to work in and the other departments in the store

Interview Questions

• A lot of "tell me a time when..." questions, if you look up basic ones and practice you should be fine   Answer Question

Director of Talent Management Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, VA) in April 2015.

Interview

Pretty straight forward. There is a list of typical questions that they ask which can be found on their website to help prepare you for the interview. My experience is that they stay on track with the information they post on their website.

Interview Questions

• What have you seen or heard about our company that encouraged you to apply for a position with us.   1 Answer

Buyer's Assistant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Longest and most unprofessional interview I've ever gone through. Arrived 10 minutes early. Waited for 30 minutes for HR to come out and start. Took a questionnaire, "have I killed anyone," etc. Verified my resume information. Waited 30 minutes for Buyer's manager to come interview me. He asked poor situational questions. "What would you do if...?" Common sense answers. Waited for another 30 minutes for the department manager to come out. He asked random questions about my past work experience. "What did you do at...?" I asked some questions. Interview complete. I spent over 2 1/2 hours for this interview and the vast majority of the time was spent waiting. I've had plenty of interview and I have never been jerked around this much. I got an offer the next week but declined for two reasons. I could never work at a company that did that to their employees and the pay was horrid for the work.

Buyer Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Be prepared to spend the majority of your day at the interview. It involves an online assessment to evaluate the candidate as a right fit for Carmax. The first interview is similar to a preliminary screening. Some positions require a emulation after that interview. The second (assuming you make it) will be follow up questions that the first interviewer was not totally satisfied with. The third (should you have one) is normally an interview with a senior manager. This will normally mean you are good to go. You will take a drug test on site.