CarMax

338 candidate interviews
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Consultant Interview

Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Long Process. They ask interview questions about prior customer service and sales experience and then you role play selling a car in the showroom.

Interview Question – They send an email out helping you to prepare for the face to face. They show you three cars that will be there for you to potentially sell at the role play, but when I arrived none of those same vehicles were there on the site.   Answer Question

Part Time Sales Consultant Interview

Part Time Sales Consultant
Dayton, OH

I applied online and the process took 4 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – I applied online to CarMax's website, they called me the next day to schedule a phone interview. The phone interview took approximately 20 minutes. Ten minutes later I received a phone call to let me know that they wanted to schedule an onsite interview within the next week. I went into the interview early (which I recommend). It started with an online application interview then proceeded to an interview with a sales manager. That interview took 45 minutes. I was told to wait for my next interview. I waited a total of 30 minutes. My next interview was with two managers at the same time. They asked me a number of questions regarding my previous sales experience. The interview finished and lasted for 1 hour, then I was told that they wanted to do a mock sale on a car. I waited 15 minutes then was instructed to the mock sale. After this I waited another 15 minutes, and then met with the general manager. This particular interview took 30 minutes. It was the shortest interview. I arrived at 4:15pm and left at 8:15pm. I received a phone call the next morning, the district manager wanted to meet with me that same day. I went in that evening and had one more interview then after about 30 minutes was offered the position.

Interview Question – What is your most difficult sale you have acquired? How did you make the sale, and what methods did you use to persuade the seller to purchase the product.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Very straight forward.

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details – Interesting drug test completed prior to job offer.

Interview Question – Computer personality testing - long   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – Odd interview process

Business Office Associate Interview

Business Office Associate

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – pretty easy, simple interview like most jobs. you'll be interviewed by 2-3 managers and hired if you pass.

Negotiation Details – no negotiation , part time starts at $10 which was pretty good at the time. considering i was coming from Gap making 8.25

Sales Manager Interview

Sales Manager
Henderson, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in January 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring can be intense. Multiple steps with different levels of management. Detailed and position specific.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had to deal with a difficult customer or coworker?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 3+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – I applied 9 months prior for a p/t sales position and inquired on their budgeted headcount (open positions) and they stated that they were hiring for anticipation of attrition. After the phone interview I had to reschedule the in person interview. I called in and was transferred around to voice mail. The next day I received an email saying, "Thanks for interviewing with us, we have decided to go in another direction..." That made me believe that this was a revolving door and that their recruitment team was extremely weak. (Like most corporations today.)

When the position was advertised again, I applied, made it through the phone interview. (easy questions like "Tell me a time when.." Scheduled for an in person interview nearly 2 weeks after the phone interview. At the in person interview, I had to interview with what seemed like every manager at the location. The ask the same questions, review policies and make you sign and initial massive amounts of paperwork through the interview process. You may wait in the lobby in between interviews. They have a paper/policy you sign stating that if you ever sue them prior to going through their arbitration process you will be liable for their attorney fees and court costs.

After 4.5 hours a manager offers me the position, I accept, and escorts me to the shop bathroom and hands me a cup to pee in. This was extremely tacky.

Managers were very friendly, no surprising questions, behavioral based interview questions. You will have to do a mock sale of a car with a walk around a real vehicle in a role play environment, but they give you specific instructions prior to the in person interview.

Interview Question – The first interview is an interrogation where you are asked if you lied about anything on your application, now is the time to change it. If you left any employers out, now is the time to change it. Have you ever stole from an employer? Are you eligible for rehire at the last 7 years of employment?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – I already knew, there is no negotiation at this big box auto retailer.

Lexington-Fayette, KY

I applied online and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CarMax in February 2013.

Interview Details – Apply from Internet AD then they call if you are their type and then the invite you in for a comprehensive interview and a moc sale of a vehicle and presentation of it. Then the pee teat and you get called if they want you.

Negotiation Details – Just be excited and answer their questions with enthusiasm. Then be sure to take your list of questions as they like to know you need them to qualify too, or that is my opinion after being hired.

Reconditioning Associate Interview

Reconditioning Associate
Saint Peters, MO

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in January 2014.

Interview Details – Typical phone interview that lasts about 30-40min so make sure you are free to do it when they call! Otherwise it may be difficult to get back with them depending on the temperment of the people in your area; first impressions make a dramatic difference.

After the phone interview, they will schedule a time for you to have a face to face interview and are seemingly very flexible with timing (at least in my area, St. Louis, MISSOURI).
Don't go in expecting an in-n-out interview, the process is drawn out a little too long for my likes (little over 4hrs for me) but once you make it to your second interview within the same day, it's a good sign but don't pat yourself on the shoulder yet, there are still 2-3 more interviews left to conquer depending on your area and position applied for.

Resume...
Have one! Even if its crappy. It helps give them a little more of an insight to what kind of person you are. It also shows them you want to be taken seriously.

In the end, if you manage to get your drug test in the same day (or later), go ahead and take a deep breath then pat yourself on the back for a job welldone, you're now a CarMax employee.

Interview Question – There really is no particular difficult or easy questions. It really depends on your prior experiences with life and other jobs and how you dealt with them.
Having a 'customer 1st' mindset really helps but don't slave over ot like a zombie.

The questions asked are simply so they can get a decent grasp on what type of person you really are. That said, some of the questions that I struggled with may be a walk in the park for you, it all depends on how you handled life as it came at you.
  Answer Question

Negotiation Details – CarMax is retail no matter how you try to sugar coat it or silver-line it. So expect crazy hours depending on the position in question. However, I have personally found that retail jobs can be the best thing since sliced bread; speaking from the perspective of a full time triple major student.

It boils down to getting to know your boss and making a connection. I'm not saying to kiss feet, I'm saying to just get to know him/her as a person and things may start to work in your favor without even asking sometimes.

Stockbridge, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in November 2011.

Interview Details – Intense, 4 separate managers and a mock car sale. very open and want to know about you, friendly but also time consuming about 3 hours.

Interview Question – "tell me why you the right person to sell a car"   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The only Negotiation was in reguards to the schedual.

Business Office Associate Interview

Business Office Associate
Irvine, CA

I applied online and interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Nice office and friendly staff