CarMax Inventory Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jan 28, 2015
Updated Jan 28, 2015

2.5

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

I must warn you, this is a very long interview! The longest I've ever been on! It was a positive experience, but I was not thinking that it would take that long.

I put in an application and sent my resume for the Inventory position. I got a call less than a week later asking if I would like to interview. The person that called was very pleasant. We set up a time for the next day.

I came in and was asked to fill out an additional application on a computer, with my job history for the past seven years, my driver's history for the past seven years, if I lost any jobs, if I quit any jobs, if I was eligible for rehire, every address I've lived at for the past seven years, etc. Very thorough. The application warned that I should not lie on any question as a thorough background check will be done on me.

After, I sat in the lobby and waited on a manager to see me. We went into an office and it was basically chit-chat. He asked me about myself, how I heard about the position, touched on my job history and he told me about himself.

I think the most important question was the "tell me about yourself" question he asked. He told me to wait in the lobby again.

Another manager introduced himself to me. He we went in the same office and he asked what I knew about the company. I am always well prepared for interviews but because of the moving and whatnots, I totally forgot to research the company! I played it cool; I told him the same thing the previous supervisor told me and added that I could tell they were very customer orientation because they even thought to have a day care! I also said something about the awards they've won(was posted above the lobby) and about all of the positive customer ratings.

My answer somehow satisfied him. He then asked basic behavioral questions from a script and wrote down my answers. Nothing hard. He thanked me and told me to wait for a follow up interview with the manager of the carmax.

The manager was very nice. We found common ground about our previous job histories and our hobbies. We chatted and then he said we'd better get to the questions. Wow, his questions were hard!

The part that was the hardest was that each behavioral question were made up of about four individual questions. I had to tell a story that answered all four questions. I managed to answer them all. He told me about the benefits Then he told me to sit in the lobby.

I waited the longest at this point. The second manager that interviewed me asked me to come into another office. He apologized for the wait and said he and the other managers thought I was a great fit for their company and would like to offer me a job. I accepted. He then told me the pay. If I didn't need a job, I would have declined. I was told that I could switch positions after six months and after my six month period, I should be getting a dollar more.

After that, I took a drug test at carmax and chatted a bit more about the job and how many people were getting hired.

The whole overview took more then two hours. Based on the previous interview reviews, it's safe to say that they hire on the spot and if you don't get the fourth interview on the same day(when they offer the job), you're probably aren't getting hired.

It was a very positive experience. I had fun at the interview and everyone I encountered was pleasant.

Interview Questions

• Tell me a time where you showed leadership? How did your co workers respond? How did your supervisor handle your decision? How did your decision help your job? (All one question)   Answer Question
  • What are you hobbies?   Answer Question
  • Tell me about yourself   Answer Question
  • What do you know about Carmax.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Was told of raises. :(

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax (Orlando, FL) in October 2014.

Interview

Called within 1 week of applying for a phone interview, simple interview with 3-5 behavioral questions regarding integrity and some related to the position applied. Invited for face to face interview with a manager from the store (not the department I applied). Asked 5-7 specific instance type questions from a printed script then had a 5-10 minute chit chat with general manager and was offered the job. I applied for a part time position online and at the interview I stated I was interested in part or full time and they hired me for full which is what I really wanted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you broke a rule or a law without getting caught.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time you went above and beyond for a customer.   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a time when you were told to do something and you didn't.   Answer Question

Negotiation

They said congrats, it was like I was hired before I even came in. They said that I was a good fit for detail or inventory so I was able to choose which one I wanted and also I was able to choose between part and full time.

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Kennesaw, GA) in September 2014.

Interview

It was pretty standard stuff. Just past experience. The job is entry level, porting cars around the lot. Seems like you can get promoted if you put time into it and do good work. You answer situational questions with at least two different managers. And then there's the computer portion that basic asks if you do drugs or steal. They said they would let me know in a week. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions

• tell me about a time when you used leadership in a past job.   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time when you dealt with an angry customer and how you handled it   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Interview

Interview was pretty easy not much happened just asked a lot of questions and then had to take a test on the computer. Which took bout 30 min you have at least three interviews if they really like you or think you are a good fit for the job. Overall it was a fun experience just didn't like the sitting around waiting on the next person which is the part that took the longest I was there for about two hours.

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX) in April 2014.

Interview

After applying online I received a call from Carmax. The gentleman was polite and seemed sincere. I was given an appointment time to go to Carmax to be interviewed. The woman I dealt with then appeared flustered, and I recalled the extremely complicated company "suggestions" on how to handle the interview process. (Dressing formally made her question if I knew what the job entailed, and the description I gave her threw here as Carmax simply uses titles to disguise the job and they did not make it clear that this was just a porter's position.) I then had to talk to two other people. A young woman who read everything to me as if she were reading a school paper, and a gentleman who didn't know what job I was applying for. They did not bother to do what the phone interviewer said they would do concerning my IDs. I was then told they'd get back to me in a week since they were only "taking applications."

Interview Questions

• They repeat themselves about having a criminal history which is silly since regardless of how many times they say it wouldn't disqualify a candidate, you can't help but think they'll choose a non-criminal over a criminal.   1 Answer

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Very quick they ask if you can drive automatic and manual transmission. See how well you do on the computer and with people and they will usually tell you there if you've got the job. You do all the paper work there so bring a ssc and such. Do a urine drug test. Talk about base pay that can't be changed. Do some 'training', give you a schedule and that's it. It lasted me about 4 hours then three days (1 hour each day) for 'training'.

Interview Questions

• Very slow process. Still using a urine drug test (slightly outdated in my opinion.) If you identify as female gender they ask if you are comfortable working with those who identify as male gender and if you identify as male they ask if you can drive manual transmission.   Answer Question

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Waukesha, WI) in March 2013.

Interview

First I was given a very detailed phone interview. Two days later I was called to schedule an interview, then upon scheduling the interview they changed the day and time to a much less convenient time. They called a third time to change the interview but I said I wasn't able to do that. This is a warning to everyone who applies: They REQUIRE you to give them access to youre social security & income tax records from the last eight years!! This means that if you are a person who has had economic difficulty, don't have jobs you listed on the application, have some jobs you don't want to discuss, or prefer to have any private life what so ever.. that youre not entitled to it.. I went through the garbage and as soon as they asked that question I was asked why I quit my jobs in high school. I was asked who I worked for and where I worked, that was eight years ago and I have absolutely no idea!! If you answer that you aren't sure, they completely ruin the interview experience for you. I almost walked out of this one for this reason alone, its bad enough they check youre credit too! I was a victim of Identity theft, so its nearly impossible for them to judge me based on my credit!!

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax (Irving, TX) in February 2013.

Interview

Met the person I talked to on the phone when I arrived. He took me around to the lobby to wait for someone else to bring paperwork for me to sign. A third person conducted the interview that was pretty basic. Finally a fourth person went over my work history and verified my consent to background checks. Everyone I encountered there was friendly.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time when you had to tell someone something difficult.   Answer Question

I declined based on pay. The position and pay itself isn't bad but I have financial obligations that the pay wouldn't support.

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX) in August 2010.

Interview

I had 4 different interviews with 4 different managers. It wasn't too bad, fairly easy, and they were also pretty nice. They told me that they had to discuss me and that i'd hear something from them ASAP. I just had my interview today, so hopefully they call me today or tomorrow.

Interview Questions

• Describe a time where you had made an obligation to some one that you knew you could not keep.   1 Answer

Inventory Associate Interview

Application

The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in May 2012.

Interview

The process started with a typical phone call from a manager who asked me to come in for an interview.

The interview consisted of 4 stages:

Stage 1: A background questionnaire. The questionnaire featured general questions (have you been convicted of a crime, driving and credit record). This was done on a computer.

Stage 2: Interview with a manager from the department you will be working in. The interview questions were basic, and fairly easy.

Stage 3: Interview with a supervisor and lead position associate. Again, this interview was pretty easy. Questions were mostly about situations.

Stage 4: Talk about the job, duties, and pay. Position was offered, and a drug test administered.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you made a promise you know you would not be able to keep.   Answer Question
    • Name a time where you motivated somebody else.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a difficult customer or team member you have had, and how you handled them.   Answer Question
    • Name something you have learned on your own, knowing it would not benefit you.   Answer Question
    • Name some risk you have taken, why you took them, and the result of taking them.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiations for an inventory associate. They explained that various certifications would increase the pay, but starting rate was set.