CarMax

Getting the Interview

6 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Inventory Associate Interview

I applied in-person and the process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Very quick they ask if you can drive automatic and manual transmission. See how well you do on the computer and with people and they will usually tell you there if you've got the job. You do all the paper work there so bring a ssc and such. Do a urine drug test. Talk about base pay that can't be changed. Do some 'training', give you a schedule and that's it. It lasted me about 4 hours then three days (1 hour each day) for 'training'.

Interview Question – Very slow process. Still using a urine drug test (slightly outdated in my opinion.) If you identify as female gender they ask if you are comfortable working with those who identify as male gender and if you identify as male they ask if you can drive manual transmission.   Answer Question

Very Difficult Interview

Waukesha, WI

I applied online and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in March 2013.

Interview Details – First I was given a very detailed phone interview. Two days later I was called to schedule an interview, then upon scheduling the interview they changed the day and time to a much less convenient time. They called a third time to change the interview but I said I wasn't able to do that. This is a warning to everyone who applies: They REQUIRE you to give them access to youre social security & income tax records from the last eight years!! This means that if you are a person who has had economic difficulty, don't have jobs you listed on the application, have some jobs you don't want to discuss, or prefer to have any private life what so ever.. that youre not entitled to it.. I went through the garbage and as soon as they asked that question I was asked why I quit my jobs in high school. I was asked who I worked for and where I worked, that was eight years ago and I have absolutely no idea!! If you answer that you aren't sure, they completely ruin the interview experience for you. I almost walked out of this one for this reason alone, its bad enough they check youre credit too! I was a victim of Identity theft, so its nearly impossible for them to judge me based on my credit!!

Irving, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in February 2013.

Interview Details – Met the person I talked to on the phone when I arrived. He took me around to the lobby to wait for someone else to bring paperwork for me to sign. A third person conducted the interview that was pretty basic. Finally a fourth person went over my work history and verified my consent to background checks. Everyone I encountered there was friendly.

Interview Question – Describe a time when you had to tell someone something difficult.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – I declined based on pay. The position and pay itself isn't bad but I have financial obligations that the pay wouldn't support.

We want your feedback – Is this interview information helpful to you?  Yes | No

Houston, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in August 2010.

Interview Details – I had 4 different interviews with 4 different managers. It wasn't too bad, fairly easy, and they were also pretty nice. They told me that they had to discuss me and that i'd hear something from them ASAP. I just had my interview today, so hopefully they call me today or tomorrow.

Interview Question – Describe a time where you had made an obligation to some one that you knew you could not keep.   View Answer

Inventory Associate

The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in May 2012.

Interview Details – The process started with a typical phone call from a manager who asked me to come in for an interview.

The interview consisted of 4 stages:

Stage 1: A background questionnaire. The questionnaire featured general questions (have you been convicted of a crime, driving and credit record). This was done on a computer.

Stage 2: Interview with a manager from the department you will be working in. The interview questions were basic, and fairly easy.

Stage 3: Interview with a supervisor and lead position associate. Again, this interview was pretty easy. Questions were mostly about situations.

Stage 4: Talk about the job, duties, and pay. Position was offered, and a drug test administered.

Interview Questions

• Name a time when you made a promise you know you would not be able to keep.   Answer Question
  • Name a time where you motivated somebody else.   Answer Question
  • Talk about a difficult customer or team member you have had, and how you handled them.   Answer Question
  • Name something you have learned on your own, knowing it would not benefit you.   Answer Question
  • Name some risk you have taken, why you took them, and the result of taking them.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – No negotiations for an inventory associate. They explained that various certifications would increase the pay, but starting rate was set.

Very Easy Interview

Inventory Associate

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in June 2008.

Interview Details – 1st interview was easy.

Interview Questions

Interviews for Top Jobs at CarMax

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!

CarMax Videos

CarMax – Why Work for Us?

A better way to buy used cars We always knew there had to be a better way to buy used cars. One that would make the process easy and fun. So we created CarMax, and we've been changing the way America buys cars since we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CarMax Inventory Associate interview questions and advice. All 6 interview reviews posted anonymously by CarMax employees and interview candidates.