CarMax Inventory Associate Interview Questions & Reviews

8 interviews

2.5

8 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Inventory Associate Interview

Interview was pretty easy not much happened just asked a lot of questions and then had to take a test on the computer. Which took bout 30 min you have at least three interviews if they really like you or think you are a good fit for the job. Overall it was a fun experience just didn't like the sitting around waiting on the next person which is the part that took the longest I was there for about two hours.

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online - interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

After applying online I received a call from Carmax. The gentleman was polite and seemed sincere. I was given an appointment time to go to Carmax to be interviewed. The woman I dealt with then appeared flustered, and I recalled the extremely complicated company "suggestions" on how to handle the interview process. (Dressing formally made her question if I knew what the job entailed, and the description I gave her threw here as Carmax simply uses titles to disguise the job and they did not make it clear that this was just a porter's position.) I then had to talk to two other people. A young woman who read everything to me as if she were reading a school paper, and a gentleman who didn't know what job I was applying for. They did not bother to do what the phone interviewer said they would do concerning my IDs. I was then told they'd get back to me in a week since they were only "taking applications."

Interview Questions
    • They repeat themselves about having a criminal history which is silly since regardless of how many times they say it wouldn't disqualify a candidate, you can't help but think they'll choose a non-criminal over a criminal.   View Answer

Inventory Associate Interview

I interviewed in-person. The process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax.

Very quick they ask if you can drive automatic and manual transmission. See how well you do on the computer and with people and they will usually tell you there if you've got the job. You do all the paper work there so bring a ssc and such. Do a urine drug test. Talk about base pay that can't be changed. Do some 'training', give you a schedule and that's it. It lasted me about 4 hours then three days (1 hour each day) for 'training'.

Interview Questions
    • Very slow process. Still using a urine drug test (slightly outdated in my opinion.) If you identify as female gender they ask if you are comfortable working with those who identify as male gender and if you identify as male they ask if you can drive manual transmission.   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee  in  Waukesha, WI
    Anonymous Employee in Waukesha, WI

I interviewed online. The process took 4 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in March 2013.

First I was given a very detailed phone interview. Two days later I was called to schedule an interview, then upon scheduling the interview they changed the day and time to a much less convenient time. They called a third time to change the interview but I said I wasn't able to do that. This is a warning to everyone who applies: They REQUIRE you to give them access to youre social security & income tax records from the last eight years!! This means that if you are a person who has had economic difficulty, don't have jobs you listed on the application, have some jobs you don't want to discuss, or prefer to have any private life what so ever.. that youre not entitled to it.. I went through the garbage and as soon as they asked that question I was asked why I quit my jobs in high school. I was asked who I worked for and where I worked, that was eight years ago and I have absolutely no idea!! If you answer that you aren't sure, they completely ruin the interview experience for you. I almost walked out of this one for this reason alone, its bad enough they check youre credit too! I was a victim of Identity theft, so its nearly impossible for them to judge me based on my credit!!

Anonymous Employee  in  Irving, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Irving, TX

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in February 2013.

Met the person I talked to on the phone when I arrived. He took me around to the lobby to wait for someone else to bring paperwork for me to sign. A third person conducted the interview that was pretty basic. Finally a fourth person went over my work history and verified my consent to background checks. Everyone I encountered there was friendly.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had to tell someone something difficult.   Answer Question

I declined based on pay. The position and pay itself isn't bad but I have financial obligations that the pay wouldn't support.

Anonymous Employee  in  Houston, TX
    Anonymous Employee in Houston, TX

I interviewed online. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in August 2010.

I had 4 different interviews with 4 different managers. It wasn't too bad, fairly easy, and they were also pretty nice. They told me that they had to discuss me and that i'd hear something from them ASAP. I just had my interview today, so hopefully they call me today or tomorrow.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time where you had made an obligation to some one that you knew you could not keep.   View Answer

Inventory Associate Interview

The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in May 2012.

The process started with a typical phone call from a manager who asked me to come in for an interview.

The interview consisted of 4 stages:

Stage 1: A background questionnaire. The questionnaire featured general questions (have you been convicted of a crime, driving and credit record). This was done on a computer.

Stage 2: Interview with a manager from the department you will be working in. The interview questions were basic, and fairly easy.

Stage 3: Interview with a supervisor and lead position associate. Again, this interview was pretty easy. Questions were mostly about situations.

Stage 4: Talk about the job, duties, and pay. Position was offered, and a drug test administered.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you made a promise you know you would not be able to keep.   Answer Question
    • Name a time where you motivated somebody else.   Answer Question
    • Talk about a difficult customer or team member you have had, and how you handled them.   Answer Question
    • Name something you have learned on your own, knowing it would not benefit you.   Answer Question
    • Name some risk you have taken, why you took them, and the result of taking them.   Answer Question
    No negotiations for an inventory associate. They explained that various certifications would increase the pay, but starting rate was set.

Inventory Associate Interview

I interviewed through an employee referral. The process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in June 2008.

1st interview was easy.

Interview Questions

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!