CarMax

Updated Sep 9, 2014

15 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Inventory Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in September 2014.

It was pretty standard stuff. Just past experience. The job is entry level, porting cars around the lot. Seems like you can get promoted if you put time into it and do good work. You answer situational questions with at least two different managers. And then there's the computer portion that basic asks if you do drugs or steal. They said they would let me know in a week. Overall good experience.

Interview Questions
    • tell me about a time when you used leadership in a past job.   Answer Question
    • tell me about a time when you dealt with an angry customer and how you handled it   Answer Question

Campus Recruieter Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

The interview process was a bit intense. I had a total of 4 face to face interviews. 3 of which I had in 1 day and I was there from about 9-4. There were a lot of times I wasn't too sure what was next. A lot of paperwork, and tests to make sure you are the "RIGHT FIT". For the most part, everyone was nice and professional. The only one I didn't like was the final one with the HR Manager.

Interview Questions
    • The questions were pretty standard "Tell me about a time when". The use the STAR method.   Answer Question

Attorney (In-house) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in July 2014.

The application online took about 45 minutes with an unnecessary amount of behavioral questions that were annoying and repetitive. I received a phone call from an in-house recruiter a few days later. I had a phone interview for about 30 minutes with behavioral questions that were at this time relevant. Questions focused on past work experiences...i.e. Tell me about a time that you had difficulty meeting a deadline, etc. About a week after the phone interview I was called by someone else to come in for interview at the main office in Kennesaw. I went in for an interview where I answered some more ridiculous questions via computer and signed off on background check for criminal, credit, education, employment AND social security. Further, I was drug tested on the spot at their facility on same day of interview. I interviewed with 4 people and took about 4 hours. I had extensive background checks before but this is ridiculous and over burdensome for the interview process. It should be done after an offer is made.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral questions Tell me about a time when....How would your supervisor describe you...Tell me about the most difficult decision you had to make...Tell me about a time you were successful in a project and state what the process and results were   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Was very interested in my resume but looked at my GPA and thought otherwise. I thought that was a bit unprofessional. But hey not my lost.

PT Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

You first take a test and if you pass that you move into a small room and meet with HR. They ask you about 30 questions and write down all of your answers. After that I met with 2 managers who asked me 30 different questions. All in all I was there for 3hrs. They said they would let me know either way which they did not and I found so rude. Pay is low about 11hr but you can wear jeans to work.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

A 30-45 minute phone interview primarily consisting of a brief business case. They called me a week later inviting me for an on site visit. It was longer than most on site interview processes, pretty much 8-4:30 where you interview with 8 or so of the current employees. A mixture of behavioral and case type questions during these interviews.

Interview Questions
    • A case where you had to present your findings to a panel of 3 current employees.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in October 2013.

Process took roughly 3 weeks. First round was on-campus and consisted of one case interview, where the invitation to the superday was contingent entirely upon the outcome of the case. Was invited to Atlanta area for an on-site interview where I went through roughly 5 case interviews and one behavioral interview. Very long day of interviews and was contacted two weeks later with a rejection email.

Interview Questions
    • Determine credit rating procedures between high risk, medium risk, and low risk customers?   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CarMax in March 2013.

I applied through a job posting on campus. Had a phone interview about 2 weeks later. The interview was about an hour long and was mostly one large case but there were some behavioral questions. Got invited to a superday down at their headquarters in Kennesaw (Auto Finance). Superday consisted of 4 case interviews, 1 behavioral interview, a laid back conversation and the drug test. It was longer than the other super days I attended. I interviewed on a Friday and got a call on Monday that I was being extended an offer.

Interview Questions
    • The business cases were based off of real world problems for the most problem. A lot of break-even type equations, etc.   Answer Question
    No negotiations

Customer Service/Early Collections Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in February 2013.

I had a 30 minute phone interview. The recruiter began the call with stating concerns about my commute to the company. She concluded the interview with offering an in-person interview the next day and stated that it may take up to three hours.

Interview Questions
    • Describe how you would deal with a difficult person at work.   View Answer
    • Describe how you have gone above and beyond the line of work to help a customer or co-worker.   Answer Question
    • Do you see any reason why you may arrive late during the 6 weeks of training.   View Answer

Customer Service Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in October 2010.

I did the phone interview with HR and that went great. She asked me what position I was interested in partime collections or fulltime/partime customer service. I told her full time customer service. She invited me to come in for a face to face interview. I came in for the interview did a skills test and the odd thing about the interview was a collections manager interviewed me. She asked me what position I was interested in and I told her customer service..Im really bummed that I did not get the position.