CarMax

4.0

3 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

I applied in-person. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in April 2010.

Generally done in panels of 2 interviewers and may require multiple panel interviews,including a Regional session.Competency based, behavioral questions designed to have you articulate a specific situation, with details to gauge whether you are a fit for the CarMax culture. Communication is a main focus. Prepare ahead of time by reviewing the interview process on their website. Questions will begin with, "Tell me about a time when..."

Interview Questions
  • What feedback have you been given on your opportunities?   Answer Question
It's a one shot deal. They do not like to negotiate....no haggle

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in August 2009.

Thorough. Will include multiple panel interviews and online assessments.

Extremely fair

Location General Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in December 2011.

The interviews they use are very standard SBO, Situation Behavior Outcome or STAR interview guides. But in addition to what they use for their interview they're looking for an "it factor" which all of the people you interview with seem to think is something different. There is also a general confusion among the people I interviewed with about the career path at Carmax.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a conflict you have had with a customer and how you handled it?   Answer Question
    • Tell me about a decision you made that in retrospect was not the right decision for the desired outcome.   Answer Question