CarMax Sales Associate Interview Questions

Updated Jul 29, 2015

2.9

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

I took the very lengthy pre employment screening test that took about 2 hours. I received a call 4 days later and the guy asked about my availability on Sundays. I advised I go to church on Sundays he advised me he would speak to his supervisor. Not even 30 seconds after I hang up I get a rejection email.

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

The process took about 3 weeks and was my final interview (out of 2) I was in the office for about 3 hours. All in all, the interview process consisted of a phone interview, then proceeded to a face to face interview which was dense. When I say dence I mean it took forever and their were A LOT of steps involved. First they sit you down to do a questionnaire on a computer that has questions like, "have you been to jail?" or "what's your work history" ect. From there I sat with the hiring manager and that asked situational questions (used the STAR method) to gauge your ability to sell and be a helpful person. I was asked to do a drug test on the spot then was offered a position.

Interview Questions

• Be specific and tell me about a time where you tried to sell something and the customer did not want your product or service. How did you bring back the sale?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Columbus, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Columbus, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

I was scheduled for a phone interview and then called by a manager on the agreed upon date and time. The interview was obviously scripted and the interviewer did not really care about expanding with your answers since the questions were so specific. It was honestly a bit awkward and due to the questions being scripted, I did not feel it was a very personal interview. Overall, I was not impressed with Carmax throughout the process.

Anonymous Employee in Lancaster, PA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Lancaster, PA) in June 2015.

Interview

First, online questionnaire. Then they call and arrange an in-person interview. Once you arrive there you complete more web forms. Then you're interviewed by two sales managers. After this you are asked to make a pretend sale. (They would have already sent you through email the particulars for this section). Once that is complete, you are finished.

Interview Questions

• One time that you had to promote your product or service to a client/customer.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Ontario, CA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 dayinterviewed at CarMax (Ontario, CA).

Interview

The interview process was very long. I was at the hiring center for over 6 hours. There was long waits to use the computers to take the online assessment portion. Person to person interviews were fun. Managers were engaging, personable, and honest. The online personality test was tedious. Several of the questions asked the same thing in different ways to try and trick you.

Interview Questions

• How would you sell me this pen?   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Rochester, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CarMax (Rochester, NY) in January 2015.

Interview

The process started with an online application, and followed with a phone interview. The phone interview was relatively straight forward and not difficult. It was more of a casual conversation. I was then scheduled for an in-person interview. Things got more interesting at this point. When I arrived, they sat me in front of a computer to answer some brief questions about my previous employment. I then interviewed with one sales manager who went over my answers to that the survey on the computer. The third phase of the interview was talking with two more sales managers at the same time. Phase four included a role playing exercise where the three of use went out in the garage bay area and I acted as though I was selling one of the two managers a car. Between the phases of the interview, I spent a lot of time sitting and waiting in the lobby area. While the actual interviews were not unusually long, the whole process took about three and a half hours.

Interview Questions

• The questions on the computer survey were interesting. They wanted to know if the candidate had ever stolen anything from a previous employer. Another question asked if one had ever received discipline at a previous job. The questions were presented from an angle of "It's ok if you did, just let us know. It's perfectly normal." The whole process was really bizarre.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Actually went pretty well.

Interview Questions

• Just wanted to know when I could start   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Online Interview Quiz then 2 person role play

Interview Questions

• They will ask you questions about difficult situations you had on a job and to explain how you overcame it. How to deal with dissatisfied customers, that type of thing.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

Interview

Lots of computerized questions ... very impersonal.

Interview Questions

• None really, the questions were pretty straight forward.   1 Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Interview

Interesting drug test completed prior to job offer.

Odd interview process