CarMax

CarMax Sales Associate Interview Questions

2.9

47 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Associate Interview

Actually went pretty well.

Interview Questions
  • Just wanted to know when I could start   View Answer

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Online Interview Quiz then 2 person role play

Interview Questions
    • They will ask you questions about difficult situations you had on a job and to explain how you overcame it. How to deal with dissatisfied customers, that type of thing.   Answer Question

Sales Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

Lots of computerized questions ... very impersonal.

Interview Questions
    • None really, the questions were pretty straight forward.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Interesting drug test completed prior to job offer.

Odd interview process

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at CarMax.

long as ever. I stayed there for 4 hours to repeat myself to 4 different people. The phone interview was simple..explain a time when you had to promote or sale something and always smile and have a positive attitude. talk about team work and sound determined. they love confidence and being trainable bc they want to turn u into a robot.

Sales Associate Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

It's a typical how do you work with others will you screw others over, will you bla bla bla... Just answer the q's its a company thats run on keywords. Just say the right thing and they cannot say no. They actually prefer if youve never sold cars at real dealerships ever before so they can mold you into the Carmax way. Which sounds great at the beginning but becomes kind of annoying when your trying to sell cars.

there was none no negotiation

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hartford, CT

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in January 2014.

Submitted online application twice, once for part time indicating two evenings I could not work, once for full time with full availability. Was only called back on the latter, so when submitting your application be sure to indicate you can work whenever they want you.

Management assistant called to offer a phone interview, scheduled for later that day. The call never came, when I followed up the next day they claimed to have lost my number in the system and did the interview on the spot. Basic weed-out questions, nothing serious. Was told I would be called later that day or the next to schedule an on-site interview, but again no call came. Follow up the next day led to more run-around, with an interview scheduled the following week.

On site interview consists of a very thorough computer questionnaire asking you to admit to any drug use, criminal or driving record incidences, any employers you left off your résumé or application and why, if you've been fired before and why, etc. Throughout you are strongly encouraged to be open and honest, as they ensure you they will conduct an extensive background check. Following this was an interview by a sales manager, more of the same probing background questions and emphasis on the effort they will take to verify all details. Beyond that were a selection of standard behavioral-based questions: leadership, customer service, etc. Finally was their so-called "mock sale", in which you select a car ahead of time and are then asked to provide examples of questions you might ask a potential customer to determine if the car is a good fit for them. There was a period to ask questions, and then you are sent on your way. Call-back promised within 48 hours.

Once again, no call-back came. Upon following up the next week I was told a few applications were still under review and that mine was among them, I should hear back in a few days or so. Another week passed and still no call, at which time I again called to follow up, was told they would look into the delay and get back to me later that day. A few hours later, a rejection email came.

Considering the disorganized nature of the entire process, the complete lack of follow up on their end, and the fact that the interviews that day were all with sales managers only, I believe they may well have been covering churn. In fact, this particular location seems to be "hiring" all the time. All in all, a waste of my time.

Interview Questions
    • The mock sale was awkward: Ask the "customer" questions about a car they already know they want - it's completely backwards from what you would expect.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Sterling, VA

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in January 2014.

Applied via their website. Online application took about two hours and consisted of 2 question and answer sections, asking anything from drug history to work related what-if's. Once the online application was complete I got a phone interview call 2 days afterwords, consisting of general interview questions and lasting about 10min. After the phone interview I was scheduled for a in-person interview the following week. The in-store interview consisted of another computer form asking questions relating to any criminal past or prior criminal activity you may have committed followed by a long face to face interview with two managers, who were not sales managers.

After answering questions about prior work experience and giving examples of a time when I (fill in the blank) they ask you to watch a short video and then give take you on a mock sales run with one of their cars. Be warned that they ask you study ONE vehicle on their website before coming in for the exercise, they did NOT use that vehicle with me, nor one similar to it. After the mock sale they talk privately and make their decision then if you will be hired. If you are hired they will instantly give you a urine sample cup and make you fill out forms, if they say "we will get back to you" or "we have more interviews to conduct" and let you walk out the door, you have not gotten the job.

They are very polite through the entire process, and it will give you vast insight to how the company works even if you are not hired. It is a *very* organized process.

One suggestion: On the mock sales test, if you do not know an answer then freely express that you do not know, and that you will find the answer out "when you get back to the showroom." If you fail the mock sales test, you will not be hired no matter how well the question and answer portion went. The test will end when you or they ask to take a test drive. (The magic words.) This was my downfall in the end as I was not as prepared as I had thought. Hindsight is always 20/20

Interview Questions
    • Help me determine why this (insert vehicle here) is best for my needs.   View Answer

Sales Associate Interview

Drug test, interview, then another interview and noting

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Charles, MO
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Charles, MO

I applied in-person. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at CarMax in November 2013.

Extensive just to find "green peas" that can be taught their "big box" sales method of selling cars.

Interview Questions
    • What was I looking for in employment opportunities?   View Answer