CarMax

Average Difficulty
65 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Norcross, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in November 2011.

Interview Details – You wait for 2hours to be seen. They ask you the same dumb interview queations that all jobs do. They are hiring all the time becuase the job demands alot for commision only.

Reason for Declining – Glass door was right and i talked to a rep that works there.

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details – Super long process. Mine included an online, phone, computer in store, 1st face-to-face, 2 person interview, roleplay, final interview

Interview Question – all pretty standard   Answer Question

Modest, OH

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in December 2012.

Interview Details – Phone interview by one the managers, then a in-person interview with two managers ask general question about teamwork and customer service experience, difficulties, and most important thing is be very detailed. The last interview is with the Store Manager and if you get there you most likely got the job.

Interview Question – They have a mock interview. If you got pass the phone interview they will let you know about the two different cars you will have to learn about and have to sale the two or one manager interview you in the second interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – The Store Manager pretty much said here is how much it pays and here is how the commission is broken down and do you have any question.

Burbank, CA

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

Interview Details – I received a phone call the day after I applied online to schedule a phone interview for later that day. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes was just a basic overview of my qualifications and why I wanted to work at CarMax. The interviewer then invited me to an in-person interview. When I arrived at the in-person interview, there were 5 other candidates there to be interviewed. We all started by filling out a brief questionnaire on the computer and then were brought into a conference room, where we all introduced ourselves. From there, we were called out for one-on-one interviews. After about 25 minutes of situational questioning, it was time to go to the lot and do a 5 minute sales demonstration. If you do well up to that point, you will then be brought into the office of the Location General Manager for a brief 5-10 minute interview before being given a job offer on the spot and immediately administer a drug test.

Interview Question – The most difficult part is the sales demonstration   View Answer

Reason for Declining – Compensation was lower than I anticipated.

Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – The interview process is completed in one day. If you are called for an interview expect it to last for a couple hours. Also expect to be interviewed by several managers. They are all very nice to try not to be intimidated, they have an outstanding culture.

Interview Question – Most unexpected question was they ask you to complete a computer questionnaire prior to the interview, then they ask how many jobs did you have that you did not list. This is to test integrity, again great culture to work for.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – no negotiating the pay is the pay

Interviewed at CarMax

Interview Details – There's pre work to do. They tell you it's an hour interview. If they like you, it's a 3 hour interview and if they don't it's a 30 minute interview.

Interview Question – You need to learn about the car. It's all in your pre work.   Answer Question

Frederick, MD

I applied online and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

Interview Details – I applied online which they ask you to do even if you're at the store. Answered a long questionnaire and received an email after a phone call confirming an interview. Went in for interview and was again placed at a computer to answer another questionnaire which I was then interviewed on based on the answers I entered.

Interview Question – Overall pretty generic questions; How have you persuaded someone into being interested in one thing over another, what sales experience do you have etc.   Answer Question

Reason for Declining – 100% commission, brand new store, wasn't trying to struggle through the over staffed batting order to afford my rent at the end of the first month. However, this is a great opportunity for someone trying to get started with sales, great training and everyone is happy to be working there.

San Antonio, TX

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in March 2010.

Interview Details – 3 part interview, intial solo, group, and final onboarding. Also you have to act out selling a car. . Lots of situational questions like : Name a time you went above and beyond at your previous job , a time when you had to go above management , the hardest part of your job etc.

Interview Question – Probably the one about going over your bosses head.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – There isn't any negotiation at Carmax.

Sales Consultant

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in January 2013.

Interview Details – Internet application took 3 hours, received a phone interview a week later, asked to come in for an interview, had three separate interviews and called back for one last interview with the Manager and then offered the job.

Interview Question – Had to role play selling a car without any prior experience or training   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – Commission only, hourly rate while training. Training process typically takes 6 weeks.

Albuquerque, NM

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – Applied online, got a phone call a few days later. Had a phone interview and at the end was scheduled for an in person interview. You will then get an email with information about the interview and what should be expected. It's actually very helpful information. The interview consists of talking with a few different managers. If you make it through all the managers, about 3+ hours later, you will get a job offer on the spot. If you did not get an offer, you did not get the job. Unfortunately, I feel as if the last manager who interviewed me was ignoring me right off the bat. During my answers, he was talking to other employees from across the room. I feel as if I was disregarded before I even answered the questions. I didn't get the job, but I truly feel it was unfair. I don't think it is like this everywhere, as most of the managers and employees seemed really nice, but it just so happened that the last person to interview me didn't seem like he was in the mood to listen to anything I had to say.

Interview Question – Nothing was really all that difficult, but the most unexpected was having to explain the last "drug" I used, when, where, and why...   Answer Question

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!