CarMax

Updated Jan 23, 2015
Updated Jan 23, 2015

77 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

It began with me applying via glassdoor. I received a phone call within 2 days from a manager and we did a very basic phone interview. At the end of the conversation I was asked to come in for a interview in 3 days time. I went to the front desk and they alerted the HR and I waited about 10-15 minutes in the waiting room. I expected it to be a very snuffy one on one interview. Not at all. I was interviewed by a panel essentially. Two managers at a time, each manager in a different section. Come to learn that even if you are applying for one job, you'll be considered for another if you seem to be a better fit. It was very low pressure. The questions they asked were mostly personality type questions and scenarios. What would you do if? How would you..? Being new to sales it was a bit fun. After all the interviews they do a roleplay scenario of you presenting a vehicle to an interested customer. This is all for personality placement.

Interview Questions
  • For me, relating my past job to sales and customer service. They are two ends of a spectrum.   View Answer
There were no negotiations. They showed me the entire pay scale, plan, and how to reach the next level of pay.

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Be positive throughout the interview and look at your mistakes as opportunities to learn. Every aspect of the interview, even if you are just waiting is probably being observed. Just stay positive and patient.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you used teamwork to help in a situation.   Answer Question
    There is none. It is comission.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

The hiring process in terms of sales consultants is the same for every location. The first step is the online job application located at carmax.com, you will answer basic application questions but you will have to do a lengthy questionnaire. The questionnaire lasts about 45 minutes and it is crucial you take it seriously(they will look at it). It makes sure you have good work ethic and is very repetitive. Next you will get a phone call most likely within 48 hours for a phone interview. The interview lasts about 20 minutes and the manager will ask you things like previous work experience and what makes you qualified for the job. The manager is just trying to get a feel for you and trying to figure out if you would be a good sales person. If you did well you will be asked for an in store interview, most likely the following day. Once you get there you will sign some quick paper work and be directed to a computer. On the computer you will take another shorter questionnaire. Usually takes 5-10 minutes. It asks questions about any criminal background. Once completed you will have a formal interview with TWO managers. The first question they will ask is if you lied about anything on your application or resume. Tell the truth. They run more background checks than a government job. The rest of the interview questions are very basic and is mostly tell me a time when you did.. Such and such. All questions are related to sales in some way, ex) How did you persuade a customer to buy a product? Just relax, talk for as long as you can and be confident with yourself(the same confidence a successful sales person has). If you do well they will make you do a mock sales pitch for one of three cars, a toyota Camry, F-150, or a Tahoe. The most important thing about this is to be personal with the "customer" and get to know everything about them before giving a sales pitch for the car. Eventually, if that goes good you will be asked to see the location general manager. If you don't get asked to see the general manager you did not get the job. If you do get asked to see him then you already got the job. He will ask a few more questions then tell you about the job. Then he'll offer you the job and tell you about the pay. All In all it was a very lengthy interview, 3 hours, but it was not difficult. They will ask a lot of questions but they are there because they want to hire you. Just don't give them any reason not to hire you and you will be fine. My biggest advice is to make a connection with the managers don't just answer questions. Strike conversation with them and they actually want you to ask personal questions about them. It shows you can be a good salesman. Good luck to all who has an interview in the near future!

Interview Questions
    No negotiation - 12$/hr during 6 week training. 160$ per car you sell afterwards. Lots of other ways to make money too, such as selling warranty package and monthly bonuses.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in December 2014.

The hiring process took about two weeks. I had a phone interview and then was later contact for a second interview. The interview took about two hours. They asked me questions about my previous experience and if I had any sales experience. It was a very calm nice setting. I had to roleplay for them and sell them a Toyota Camry which was fun. I didnt know much about sales, I did ALOT of reseach and studying before i went for the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever went above and beyond for a customer?   View Answer
    The hiring manager said he had two questions. The second question would depend on the first. He asked me what i expect in the next 5 years I answered then he said ok well I dont usually ask the second question but I want to ask you...when can you start?! Just have super confidence and be PREPARED!

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

applied online, received a phone call a few days later. Group interview, asks the group to tell us about ourselves and why we want to be a sales representative. Toured around the facility, and said would call those who had prospects back

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Three interviews so do your homework and be able to think quick. You will be interviewed by managers from different departments therefore once again do your homework on the position you are applying for.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation because it was a commission position.

Sales Consultant Interview

I arrived on time was introduced to one of the manager,took a basic background check in the computer after that the same person asking a few questions.
    Good atmosphere and the interview very professional.
    If I get or not the job first impression was great.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me how do you get a customer into a specific car.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in November 2014.

I didn't even go into the store, my interview was over the phone. A few days later I got an email that said I didn't get the job. She also said that the job was based off of only commission. I didn't like that. Over all I wasn't too bummed that I didn't get the job.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Raleigh, NC

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax in October 2014.

Took place in a hotel, they were recruiting for a brand new store. I did a panel interview with two managers who were very nice. The entire process took 2 and a half hours. I had to sell a car to them, but they are really looking for conversation with the customer, asking them open ended questions, and at the end ask them if they would like to take a test drive. At the end they discuss if they wanted to hire me and then invited me into another room and offered me a full time position. Lastly they had me take a urine drug test on site, in the hotel (which I thought was weird) but they send it off to a lab.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time where you went above and beyond with a customer.   Answer Question
    No negotiations. It's $12 an hour for the training and $160 per vehicle and there are a few other spiffs

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

There are multiple interviews. One phone interview, an in person interview and then the final in person interview is with multiple people from multiple departments within the store location. That final interview will take at least 4 hours of your day, so be prepared to be there for a while if you reach that point in the process

Interview Questions
    • Describe an experience where you had to make an sale to an unsatisfied customer   Answer Question