CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Sep 2, 2015

2.9

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Multiple rounds via phone and in person. Applied online. They ask the same type of questions differently to get to know you better. Then you receive a call from a sales manager to see how you sound on the phone. Then if you pass that part you will be invited in for a face to face interview. And if you pass that part, then you have a chance to get through.

Interview Questions

• Can you tell us a time when you had to work to get a project done with individuals that you didn't like or respect?   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Austin, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Austin, TX) in September 2015.

Interview

Computer assessment, initial grilling about gaps in employment/other. It was one very polite girl who introduced me, then a polite guy who grilled me about previous employment, then 2 guys who gave typical customer service-oriented questions. Basically very easy. I had one job in the last 7 years where it didn't work out and I disclosed too much about that.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle customer service situations   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, TX

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Richmond, TX) in August 2015.

Interview

Applied for the Sales Consultant Full Time Position at Carmax, online. Did the 2 hour required assessment. Be prepared to spend the whole day doing that. Got a phone interview. Didn't like the interviewer's attitude. He seemed disconnected, and seemed spacey all through the interview. They say they hire people with no experience, but I honestly think experience matters.

Sales Consultant Interview

Interview

You first have to apply online which takes about an hour or more so be prepared to be at the computer for a while. It takes about 2 weeks for it to be processed and they'll either call you if they're interested in you or email you if they're not

Anonymous Employee in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview followed by in person interview with 2 managers followed by role play. If you get past the role play stage you then meet with the General manager. Typical situational type interview questions asking about previous experiences. Got hired on the spot after meeting with GM and was asked to take urine test right after. In my experience and from what I've seen if they say they'll be in touch with you chances are you did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you exceeded a customers expectations?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Roseville, CA).

Interview

Applied online, was called within a day for a scheduled phone interview, then followed up with in person interview. I met with a sales manager, 2 managers from non sales departments, then finally the store manager. The process took about 6 hours. It was not until I was asked to submit a urine sample (drug test), that I realized I'd been hired. An offer was not formally made. Great positive vibe at the store.

Interview Questions

• Have I had any felonies, misdemeanors, brushes with the law, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Davie, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at CarMax (Davie, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

First a phone interview was conducted, basically a background and experience interview. Was informed on the call to come in for interview for the following week so about 7days. One on one interview and received an email the same day in 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• What is one situation where you had to persuade someone?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CarMax in July 2015.

Interview

Applied online, got called 4 hours later. Crushed the phone interview a day later. Went in for the in person interview the third day. The computer survey IS A TRAP either way you look at it. If you don't disclose part time jobs you worked even while working full time jobs simultaneously, don't tell them that!!! Or tell them every b.s. Survival job you EVER had in the last 7 years when you apply online. I was given the next phase of interview and summarily sent home without an offer for having been honest.

Interview Questions

• How many jobs did you have in the last 7 years that you didn't list on your application.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Jacksonville, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

as soon I walked into the local dealership I was told to sit in a cubicle and do an online assessment, and the first thing they need is my social security number, I protested and was told by the sales manager either provide it or leave, he also stated that is the company policy and they have done it like that forever...you MUST provide you SS# FIRST to proceed...reluctantly I agreed and also basically signed my life away, then the usual computer screening. Next I had a sit down interview w/ the sales manager and I could tell that because I had protested the providing my SS# first thing--he had no real interest in me. He explained $12/hr while training, then after a month or so, you get minimum wage plus commission, no minimum wage if your commission exceeds the $7.25/hr for the hours you worked, then if they did pay you any minimum hourly wages those wages would be deducted from you next payroll w/ substantial commission to cover it. Hard to believe, but I received a rejection email two days later. My thinking was you are not required to provide your SS# until you are hired. I just interviewed a couple weeks ago.

Interview Questions

• What are the benefits of buying the Ford F-150?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

Plain phone interview. The interviewer did not seem too engaged and this was before the interview started. Probably talked to a million people before me. Did not like his attitude. I answered the questions thoroughly and yet did not get an offer.