CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 28, 2015

2.9

Sales Consultant Interview

Interview

You first have to apply online which takes about an hour or more so be prepared to be at the computer for a while. It takes about 2 weeks for it to be processed and they'll either call you if they're interested in you or email you if they're not

Interview Questions

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Chicago, IL

Application

The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Chicago, IL).

Interview

Phone interview followed by in person interview with 2 managers followed by role play. If you get past the role play stage you then meet with the General manager. Typical situational type interview questions asking about previous experiences. Got hired on the spot after meeting with GM and was asked to take urine test right after. In my experience and from what I've seen if they say they'll be in touch with you chances are you did not get the job.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you exceeded a customers expectations?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Roseville, CA).

Interview

Applied online, was called within a day for a scheduled phone interview, then followed up with in person interview. I met with a sales manager, 2 managers from non sales departments, then finally the store manager. The process took about 6 hours. It was not until I was asked to submit a urine sample (drug test), that I realized I'd been hired. An offer was not formally made. Great positive vibe at the store.

Interview Questions

• Have I had any felonies, misdemeanors, brushes with the law, etc.   1 Answer

Anonymous Employee in Davie, FL

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax (Davie, FL) in July 2015.

Interview

First a phone interview was conducted, basically a background and experience interview. Was informed on the call to come in for interview for the following week so about 7days. One on one interview and received an email the same day in 3 hours.

Interview Questions

• What is one situation where you had to persuade someone?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Atlanta, GA) in June 2015.

Interview

Plain phone interview. The interviewer did not seem too engaged and this was before the interview started. Probably talked to a million people before me. Did not like his attitude. I answered the questions thoroughly and yet did not get an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Sterling, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

4 part process. Longest interview i've ever done. It felt like you're applying for a government job. They bring in different managers one after another and grill you on the spot and you gotta have the right words. I don't know how the work itself is but I sure hope it turns out alright for the sales consultants there

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Knoxville, TN) in April 2015.

Interview

After applying online there is a phone interview, which they email you about. If you pass the phone interview they send you another email for an in person interview. The in person interview had to be the LONGEST interview I have ever been part of. The in person interview had 4 parts to it, first I met with the hr manager and answered a few question on the computer. Second I met with the service manager and went over my resume again and then they cleared up any questions they have. Third I met with 2 sales managers who went over questions of "Tell me about a time when ...." and finally went over a mock sales exercise, they send you the information to "study" and even give you the 4 points they are looking for. The only part of this I missed was asking them for a test drive (this wasn't on the list). Overall fairly straightforward interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you sold something to a customer who didn't want to purchase the item.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

After online application there is a phone screen and an in person interview. The in person interview consists mainly of "tell me about a time when.." Behavioral type questions. There is also a mock sales exercise where you attempt to take a customer through the sales experience at Carmax. The managers interviewing you are looking for how you interact with customers. Overall fairly straightforward interview process and not too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to sell a product the customer did not seem interested in? Multiple tell me about a time questions. Utilize the STAR method.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Set commission structure.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

applied online at selected office, they called back a hour after i submitted it. The online process they require is a time consuming investment, but was a good experience which helps them find proper matches for the organization.

Sales Consultant Interview

Interview

You start of with a phone interview and move to a In store interview where you will be asked scenario questions. Afterwards, you will be asked to role play. The role play consists of you going out to a car and being able to guide the customer through the process.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to sell a product to a customer who didn't want it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiations.