CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Jul 1, 2015

2.9

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Roseville, CA

Application

I applied online. The process took 4 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Roseville, CA).

Interview

Applied online, was called within a day for a scheduled phone interview, then followed up with in person interview. I met with a sales manager, 2 managers from non sales departments, then finally the store manager. The process took about 6 hours. It was not until I was asked to submit a urine sample (drug test), that I realized I'd been hired. An offer was not formally made. Great positive vibe at the store.

Interview Questions

• Have I had any felonies, misdemeanors, brushes with the law, etc.   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Employee in Sterling, VA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Sterling, VA) in June 2015.

Interview

4 part process. Longest interview i've ever done. It felt like you're applying for a government job. They bring in different managers one after another and grill you on the spot and you gotta have the right words. I don't know how the work itself is but I sure hope it turns out alright for the sales consultants there

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Knoxville, TN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Knoxville, TN) in April 2015.

Interview

After applying online there is a phone interview, which they email you about. If you pass the phone interview they send you another email for an in person interview. The in person interview had to be the LONGEST interview I have ever been part of. The in person interview had 4 parts to it, first I met with the hr manager and answered a few question on the computer. Second I met with the service manager and went over my resume again and then they cleared up any questions they have. Third I met with 2 sales managers who went over questions of "Tell me about a time when ...." and finally went over a mock sales exercise, they send you the information to "study" and even give you the 4 points they are looking for. The only part of this I missed was asking them for a test drive (this wasn't on the list). Overall fairly straightforward interview process.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you sold something to a customer who didn't want to purchase the item.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in New York, NY

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax (New York, NY) in April 2015.

Interview

After online application there is a phone screen and an in person interview. The in person interview consists mainly of "tell me about a time when.." Behavioral type questions.

There is also a mock sales exercise where you attempt to take a customer through the sales experience at Carmax. The managers interviewing you are looking for how you interact with customers. Overall fairly straightforward interview process and not too difficult.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to sell a product the customer did not seem interested in?

Multiple tell me about a time questions. Utilize the STAR method.

Answer Question

Negotiation

No negotiation. Set commission structure.

Anonymous Employee in Baltimore, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Baltimore, MD) in March 2015.

Interview

applied online at selected office, they called back a hour after i submitted it. The online process they require is a time consuming investment, but was a good experience which helps them find proper matches for the organization.

Sales Consultant Interview

Interview

You start of with a phone interview and move to a In store interview where you will be asked scenario questions. Afterwards, you will be asked to role play. The role play consists of you going out to a car and being able to guide the customer through the process.

Interview Questions

• Name a time you had to sell a product to a customer who didn't want it.   Answer Question

Negotiation

No Negotiations.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax (Indianapolis, IN) in February 2015.

Interview

CarMax employs three-tier interview process.

After submitting an application on-line (with includes 30+ minutes of questions), selected individuals are scheduled for a phone screen with on of the location's Sales Managers. This screen is very casual and for me consisted of a review of my background and my motivation for wanting to join CarMax in sales. The screen lasted less than 20 minutes.

Successfully passing the phone screen led to an on-site interview. I was paired with two Sales Managers (one of which was the Senior Sales Manager). After taking an on-line assessment (basically my validating I was not a criminal), the managers took turns asking a series of corporately provided Behavioral Questions. IF one is prepared for this type of interview style, then the interview will go rather smoothly. This took around 45 minutes. Next, I was asked to "role play" selling a car to the Sales Manager (while the Senior Sales Manager took notes). I had been sent information on this role play prior to the interview. Following the basic script (which was provided) allowed for this activity to also go very smoothly. I was asked to take a seat in a waiting area as they compared notes, and was ultimately told that they were recommending me to speak with the Location General Manager.

The third interview was with the Senior Sales Manager and the Location General Manager (LGM). This, again, was driven my a selection of corporately provided Behavioral Questions. At a point during the interview, it was apparently decided by the LGM that an offer would be extended. It was then that the LGM started to provide some very detailed specifics on lead generation, lead flow, commission tiers, and other information. The provision of this level of data allow for my being confident as to the offer and my opportunities for success.

Interview Questions

• Behavioral Questions make up the vast majority of the interivews.   1 Answer

Sales Consultant Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

Interview

The hiring process in terms of sales consultants is the same for every location. The first step is the online job application located at carmax.com, you will answer basic application questions but you will have to do a lengthy questionnaire. The questionnaire lasts about 45 minutes and it is crucial you take it seriously(they will look at it). It makes sure you have good work ethic and is very repetitive. Next you will get a phone call most likely within 48 hours for a phone interview. The interview lasts about 20 minutes and the manager will ask you things like previous work experience and what makes you qualified for the job. The manager is just trying to get a feel for you and trying to figure out if you would be a good sales person. If you did well you will be asked for an in store interview, most likely the following day. Once you get there you will sign some quick paper work and be directed to a computer. On the computer you will take another shorter questionnaire. Usually takes 5-10 minutes. It asks questions about any criminal background. Once completed you will have a formal interview with TWO managers. The first question they will ask is if you lied about anything on your application or resume. Tell the truth. They run more background checks than a government job. The rest of the interview questions are very basic and is mostly tell me a time when you did.. Such and such. All questions are related to sales in some way, ex) How did you persuade a customer to buy a product? Just relax, talk for as long as you can and be confident with yourself(the same confidence a successful sales person has). If you do well they will make you do a mock sales pitch for one of three cars, a toyota Camry, F-150, or a Tahoe. The most important thing about this is to be personal with the "customer" and get to know everything about them before giving a sales pitch for the car. Eventually, if that goes good you will be asked to see the location general manager. If you don't get asked to see the general manager you did not get the job. If you do get asked to see him then you already got the job. He will ask a few more questions then tell you about the job. Then he'll offer you the job and tell you about the pay. All In all it was a very lengthy interview, 3 hours, but it was not difficult. They will ask a lot of questions but they are there because they want to hire you. Just don't give them any reason not to hire you and you will be fine. My biggest advice is to make a connection with the managers don't just answer questions. Strike conversation with them and they actually want you to ask personal questions about them. It shows you can be a good salesman. Good luck to all who has an interview in the near future!

Interview Questions

Negotiation

No negotiation - 12$/hr during 6 week training. 160$ per car you sell afterwards. Lots of other ways to make money too, such as selling warranty package and monthly bonuses.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Tampa, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax (Tampa, FL) in February 2015.

Interview

took 45 minutes, hired on the spot, did the drug test there- which was awkward peeing in a cup and handing it to the person who interviewed you. It was pretty easy, did the walk around on a vehicle in the showroom

Interview Questions

• basic interview questions, have you do a walk around on a vehicle   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Frederick, MD) in February 2015.

Interview

Whole process took about a week and a half. Applied online and was called for phone interview hours later. Phone interview was basic and lasted 20 minutes. Filled out information on a computer and waited around 20 minutes to start the interview. First person interviewing just asked background information. Met with two new managers for real interview. 20 minutes and about 6-8 questions later the standard interview was over and I moved on to the mock car sale. Watched a short video and one manager role played as a customer and I was evaluated based on my selling technique. Interview was relaxed and managers were good guys. Overall good experience.