CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Aug 21, 2014

2.9

66 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

There are multiple interviews. One phone interview, an in person interview and then the final in person interview is with multiple people from multiple departments within the store location. That final interview will take at least 4 hours of your day, so be prepared to be there for a while if you reach that point in the process

Interview Questions
  • Describe an experience where you had to make an sale to an unsatisfied customer   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Norcross, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in November 2011.

You wait for 2hours to be seen. They ask you the same dumb interview queations that all jobs do. They are hiring all the time becuase the job demands alot for commision only.

Glass door was right and i talked to a rep that works there.

Sales Consultant Interview

Super long process. Mine included an online, phone, computer in store, 1st face-to-face, 2 person interview, roleplay, final interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Modest, OH
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Modest, OH

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in December 2012.

Phone interview by one the managers, then a in-person interview with two managers ask general question about teamwork and customer service experience, difficulties, and most important thing is be very detailed. The last interview is with the Store Manager and if you get there you most likely got the job.

Interview Questions
    • They have a mock interview. If you got pass the phone interview they will let you know about the two different cars you will have to learn about and have to sale the two or one manager interview you in the second interview.   Answer Question
    The Store Manager pretty much said here is how much it pays and here is how the commission is broken down and do you have any question.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Burbank, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

I received a phone call the day after I applied online to schedule a phone interview for later that day. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes was just a basic overview of my qualifications and why I wanted to work at CarMax. The interviewer then invited me to an in-person interview. When I arrived at the in-person interview, there were 5 other candidates there to be interviewed. We all started by filling out a brief questionnaire on the computer and then were brought into a conference room, where we all introduced ourselves. From there, we were called out for one-on-one interviews. After about 25 minutes of situational questioning, it was time to go to the lot and do a 5 minute sales demonstration. If you do well up to that point, you will then be brought into the office of the Location General Manager for a brief 5-10 minute interview before being given a job offer on the spot and immediately administer a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part is the sales demonstration   View Answer

Compensation was lower than I anticipated.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax.

The interview process is completed in one day. If you are called for an interview expect it to last for a couple hours. Also expect to be interviewed by several managers. They are all very nice to try not to be intimidated, they have an outstanding culture.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was they ask you to complete a computer questionnaire prior to the interview, then they ask how many jobs did you have that you did not list. This is to test integrity, again great culture to work for.   Answer Question
    no negotiating the pay is the pay

Sales Consultant Interview

There's pre work to do. They tell you it's an hour interview. If they like you, it's a 3 hour interview and if they don't it's a 30 minute interview.

Interview Questions
    • You need to learn about the car. It's all in your pre work.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

I applied online which they ask you to do even if you're at the store. Answered a long questionnaire and received an email after a phone call confirming an interview. Went in for interview and was again placed at a computer to answer another questionnaire which I was then interviewed on based on the answers I entered.

Interview Questions
    • Overall pretty generic questions; How have you persuaded someone into being interested in one thing over another, what sales experience do you have etc.   Answer Question

100% commission, brand new store, wasn't trying to struggle through the over staffed batting order to afford my rent at the end of the first month. However, this is a great opportunity for someone trying to get started with sales, great training and everyone is happy to be working there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  San Antonio, TX
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in San Antonio, TX

I applied online. The process took a day - interviewed at CarMax in March 2010.

3 part interview, intial solo, group, and final onboarding. Also you have to act out selling a car. . Lots of situational questions like : Name a time you went above and beyond at your previous job , a time when you had to go above management , the hardest part of your job etc.

Interview Questions
    • Probably the one about going over your bosses head.   View Answer
    There isn't any negotiation at Carmax.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in January 2013.

Internet application took 3 hours, received a phone interview a week later, asked to come in for an interview, had three separate interviews and called back for one last interview with the Manager and then offered the job.

Interview Questions
    • Had to role play selling a car without any prior experience or training   Answer Question
    Commission only, hourly rate while training. Training process typically takes 6 weeks.

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!