CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2015
Updated Feb 28, 2015

2.9

Sales Consultant Interview

You start of with a phone interview and move to a In store interview where you will be asked scenario questions. Afterwards, you will be asked to role play. The role play consists of you going out to a car and being able to guide the customer through the process.

Interview Questions
  • Name a time you had to sell a product to a customer who didn't want it.   Answer Question
No Negotiations.

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Indianapolis, IN

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in February 2015.

CarMax employs three-tier interview process.

After submitting an application on-line (with includes 30+ minutes of questions), selected individuals are scheduled for a phone screen with on of the location's Sales Managers. This screen is very casual and for me consisted of a review of my background and my motivation for wanting to join CarMax in sales. The screen lasted less than 20 minutes.

Successfully passing the phone screen led to an on-site interview. I was paired with two Sales Managers (one of which was the Senior Sales Manager). After taking an on-line assessment (basically my validating I was not a criminal), the managers took turns asking a series of corporately provided Behavioral Questions. IF one is prepared for this type of interview style, then the interview will go rather smoothly. This took around 45 minutes. Next, I was asked to "role play" selling a car to the Sales Manager (while the Senior Sales Manager took notes). I had been sent information on this role play prior to the interview. Following the basic script (which was provided) allowed for this activity to also go very smoothly. I was asked to take a seat in a waiting area as they compared notes, and was ultimately told that they were recommending me to speak with the Location General Manager.

The third interview was with the Senior Sales Manager and the Location General Manager (LGM). This, again, was driven my a selection of corporately provided Behavioral Questions. At a point during the interview, it was apparently decided by the LGM that an offer would be extended. It was then that the LGM started to provide some very detailed specifics on lead generation, lead flow, commission tiers, and other information. The provision of this level of data allow for my being confident as to the offer and my opportunities for success.

Interview Questions
    • Behavioral Questions make up the vast majority of the interivews.   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Employee in Frederick, MD

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2015.

Whole process took about a week and a half. Applied online and was called for phone interview hours later. Phone interview was basic and lasted 20 minutes. Filled out information on a computer and waited around 20 minutes to start the interview. First person interviewing just asked background information. Met with two new managers for real interview. 20 minutes and about 6-8 questions later the standard interview was over and I moved on to the mock car sale. Watched a short video and one manager role played as a customer and I was evaluated based on my selling technique. Interview was relaxed and managers were good guys. Overall good experience.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

It began with me applying via glassdoor. I received a phone call within 2 days from a manager and we did a very basic phone interview. At the end of the conversation I was asked to come in for a interview in 3 days time. I went to the front desk and they alerted the HR and I waited about 10-15 minutes in the waiting room. I expected it to be a very snuffy one on one interview. Not at all. I was interviewed by a panel essentially. Two managers at a time, each manager in a different section. Come to learn that even if you are applying for one job, you'll be considered for another if you seem to be a better fit. It was very low pressure. The questions they asked were mostly personality type questions and scenarios. What would you do if? How would you..? Being new to sales it was a bit fun. After all the interviews they do a roleplay scenario of you presenting a vehicle to an interested customer. This is all for personality placement.

Interview Questions
    • For me, relating my past job to sales and customer service. They are two ends of a spectrum.   View Answer
    There were no negotiations. They showed me the entire pay scale, plan, and how to reach the next level of pay.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

The hiring process in terms of sales consultants is the same for every location. The first step is the online job application located at carmax.com, you will answer basic application questions but you will have to do a lengthy questionnaire. The questionnaire lasts about 45 minutes and it is crucial you take it seriously(they will look at it). It makes sure you have good work ethic and is very repetitive. Next you will get a phone call most likely within 48 hours for a phone interview. The interview lasts about 20 minutes and the manager will ask you things like previous work experience and what makes you qualified for the job. The manager is just trying to get a feel for you and trying to figure out if you would be a good sales person. If you did well you will be asked for an in store interview, most likely the following day. Once you get there you will sign some quick paper work and be directed to a computer. On the computer you will take another shorter questionnaire. Usually takes 5-10 minutes. It asks questions about any criminal background. Once completed you will have a formal interview with TWO managers. The first question they will ask is if you lied about anything on your application or resume. Tell the truth. They run more background checks than a government job. The rest of the interview questions are very basic and is mostly tell me a time when you did.. Such and such. All questions are related to sales in some way, ex) How did you persuade a customer to buy a product? Just relax, talk for as long as you can and be confident with yourself(the same confidence a successful sales person has). If you do well they will make you do a mock sales pitch for one of three cars, a toyota Camry, F-150, or a Tahoe. The most important thing about this is to be personal with the "customer" and get to know everything about them before giving a sales pitch for the car. Eventually, if that goes good you will be asked to see the location general manager. If you don't get asked to see the general manager you did not get the job. If you do get asked to see him then you already got the job. He will ask a few more questions then tell you about the job. Then he'll offer you the job and tell you about the pay. All In all it was a very lengthy interview, 3 hours, but it was not difficult. They will ask a lot of questions but they are there because they want to hire you. Just don't give them any reason not to hire you and you will be fine. My biggest advice is to make a connection with the managers don't just answer questions. Strike conversation with them and they actually want you to ask personal questions about them. It shows you can be a good salesman. Good luck to all who has an interview in the near future!

Interview Questions
    No negotiation - 12$/hr during 6 week training. 160$ per car you sell afterwards. Lots of other ways to make money too, such as selling warranty package and monthly bonuses.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Be positive throughout the interview and look at your mistakes as opportunities to learn. Every aspect of the interview, even if you are just waiting is probably being observed. Just stay positive and patient.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you used teamwork to help in a situation.   Answer Question
    There is none. It is comission.

Anonymous Employee in Oxnard, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Oxnard, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in January 2015.

The interview process is quite long, and I'm only talking about the on location interview, there is also a phone interview before they invite you to the location interview. Before that is a 2+ hour online application with a personality assessment.

The on location interview for me started at 8 and went to 11:30, one of the 4 other people applying for the same position had to stay longer for reasons unknown (they didn't even tell him why).

I spoke with multiple managers, but most of it was prepared questions. I never really felt like they tried to get a feeling for me, just my answers. I've seen mention of panel interviewing, that never happened for me, infact I sat in a waiting room for nearly an hour at one point because they had us go through the individual interviews in the same order (not very efficient).

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you convinced a customer to buy an item. and some semi similar questions with the S*T*A*R technique   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Greensboro, NC

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in December 2014.

The hiring process took about two weeks. I had a phone interview and then was later contact for a second interview. The interview took about two hours. They asked me questions about my previous experience and if I had any sales experience. It was a very calm nice setting. I had to roleplay for them and sell them a Toyota Camry which was fun. I didnt know much about sales, I did ALOT of reseach and studying before i went for the second interview.

Interview Questions
    • Have you ever went above and beyond for a customer?   View Answer
    The hiring manager said he had two questions. The second question would depend on the first. He asked me what i expect in the next 5 years I answered then he said ok well I dont usually ask the second question but I want to ask you...when can you start?! Just have super confidence and be PREPARED!

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

applied online, received a phone call a few days later. Group interview, asks the group to tell us about ourselves and why we want to be a sales representative. Toured around the facility, and said would call those who had prospects back

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hillside, IL

I applied through other source. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Three interviews so do your homework and be able to think quick. You will be interviewed by managers from different departments therefore once again do your homework on the position you are applying for.

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation because it was a commission position.