CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Oct 18, 2014

2.9

68 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

There are multiple interviews. One phone interview, an in person interview and then the final in person interview is with multiple people from multiple departments within the store location. That final interview will take at least 4 hours of your day, so be prepared to be there for a while if you reach that point in the process

Interview Questions
  • Describe an experience where you had to make an sale to an unsatisfied customer   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Sales Consultant Interview

The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in September 2014.

10 minute telephone interview. Asked basic background and experience questions. Invited to face-to-face interview. Computer questionnaire on site. Met with three separate interviewers. Sales presentation on car. If they like you then meet with location GM. Job offered. Drug test.

Sales Consultant Interview

Super long process. Mine included an online, phone, computer in store, 1st face-to-face, 2 person interview, roleplay, final interview

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax.

The interview process is completed in one day. If you are called for an interview expect it to last for a couple hours. Also expect to be interviewed by several managers. They are all very nice to try not to be intimidated, they have an outstanding culture.

Interview Questions
    • Most unexpected question was they ask you to complete a computer questionnaire prior to the interview, then they ask how many jobs did you have that you did not list. This is to test integrity, again great culture to work for.   Answer Question
    no negotiating the pay is the pay

Sales Consultant Interview

There's pre work to do. They tell you it's an hour interview. If they like you, it's a 3 hour interview and if they don't it's a 30 minute interview.

Interview Questions
    • You need to learn about the car. It's all in your pre work.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Frederick, MD

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

I applied online which they ask you to do even if you're at the store. Answered a long questionnaire and received an email after a phone call confirming an interview. Went in for interview and was again placed at a computer to answer another questionnaire which I was then interviewed on based on the answers I entered.

Interview Questions
    • Overall pretty generic questions; How have you persuaded someone into being interested in one thing over another, what sales experience do you have etc.   Answer Question

100% commission, brand new store, wasn't trying to struggle through the over staffed batting order to afford my rent at the end of the first month. However, this is a great opportunity for someone trying to get started with sales, great training and everyone is happy to be working there.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Burbank, CA

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

I received a phone call the day after I applied online to schedule a phone interview for later that day. The phone interview lasted about 15 minutes was just a basic overview of my qualifications and why I wanted to work at CarMax. The interviewer then invited me to an in-person interview. When I arrived at the in-person interview, there were 5 other candidates there to be interviewed. We all started by filling out a brief questionnaire on the computer and then were brought into a conference room, where we all introduced ourselves. From there, we were called out for one-on-one interviews. After about 25 minutes of situational questioning, it was time to go to the lot and do a 5 minute sales demonstration. If you do well up to that point, you will then be brought into the office of the Location General Manager for a brief 5-10 minute interview before being given a job offer on the spot and immediately administer a drug test.

Interview Questions
    • The most difficult part is the sales demonstration   View Answer

Compensation was lower than I anticipated.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Long Process. They ask interview questions about prior customer service and sales experience and then you role play selling a car in the showroom.

Interview Questions
    • They send an email out helping you to prepare for the face to face. They show you three cars that will be there for you to potentially sell at the role play, but when I arrived none of those same vehicles were there on the site.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

I applied 9 months prior for a p/t sales position and inquired on their budgeted headcount (open positions) and they stated that they were hiring for anticipation of attrition. After the phone interview I had to reschedule the in person interview. I called in and was transferred around to voice mail. The next day I received an email saying, "Thanks for interviewing with us, we have decided to go in another direction..." That made me believe that this was a revolving door and that their recruitment team was extremely weak. (Like most corporations today.)

When the position was advertised again, I applied, made it through the phone interview. (easy questions like "Tell me a time when.." Scheduled for an in person interview nearly 2 weeks after the phone interview. At the in person interview, I had to interview with what seemed like every manager at the location. The ask the same questions, review policies and make you sign and initial massive amounts of paperwork through the interview process. You may wait in the lobby in between interviews. They have a paper/policy you sign stating that if you ever sue them prior to going through their arbitration process you will be liable for their attorney fees and court costs.

After 4.5 hours a manager offers me the position, I accept, and escorts me to the shop bathroom and hands me a cup to pee in. This was extremely tacky.

Managers were very friendly, no surprising questions, behavioral based interview questions. You will have to do a mock sale of a car with a walk around a real vehicle in a role play environment, but they give you specific instructions prior to the in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • The first interview is an interrogation where you are asked if you lied about anything on your application, now is the time to change it. If you left any employers out, now is the time to change it. Have you ever stole from an employer? Are you eligible for rehire at the last 7 years of employment?   Answer Question
    I already knew, there is no negotiation at this big box auto retailer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Applied online, got a phone call a few days later. Had a phone interview and at the end was scheduled for an in person interview. You will then get an email with information about the interview and what should be expected. It's actually very helpful information. The interview consists of talking with a few different managers. If you make it through all the managers, about 3+ hours later, you will get a job offer on the spot. If you did not get an offer, you did not get the job. Unfortunately, I feel as if the last manager who interviewed me was ignoring me right off the bat. During my answers, he was talking to other employees from across the room. I feel as if I was disregarded before I even answered the questions. I didn't get the job, but I truly feel it was unfair. I don't think it is like this everywhere, as most of the managers and employees seemed really nice, but it just so happened that the last person to interview me didn't seem like he was in the mood to listen to anything I had to say.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really all that difficult, but the most unexpected was having to explain the last "drug" I used, when, where, and why...   Answer Question