CarMax Sales Consultant Interview Questions

Updated Feb 28, 2015
Updated Feb 28, 2015

2.9

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Long Process. They ask interview questions about prior customer service and sales experience and then you role play selling a car in the showroom.

Interview Questions
  • They send an email out helping you to prepare for the face to face. They show you three cars that will be there for you to potentially sell at the role play, but when I arrived none of those same vehicles were there on the site.   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

I applied 9 months prior for a p/t sales position and inquired on their budgeted headcount (open positions) and they stated that they were hiring for anticipation of attrition. After the phone interview I had to reschedule the in person interview. I called in and was transferred around to voice mail. The next day I received an email saying, "Thanks for interviewing with us, we have decided to go in another direction..." That made me believe that this was a revolving door and that their recruitment team was extremely weak. (Like most corporations today.)

When the position was advertised again, I applied, made it through the phone interview. (easy questions like "Tell me a time when.." Scheduled for an in person interview nearly 2 weeks after the phone interview. At the in person interview, I had to interview with what seemed like every manager at the location. The ask the same questions, review policies and make you sign and initial massive amounts of paperwork through the interview process. You may wait in the lobby in between interviews. They have a paper/policy you sign stating that if you ever sue them prior to going through their arbitration process you will be liable for their attorney fees and court costs.

After 4.5 hours a manager offers me the position, I accept, and escorts me to the shop bathroom and hands me a cup to pee in. This was extremely tacky.

Managers were very friendly, no surprising questions, behavioral based interview questions. You will have to do a mock sale of a car with a walk around a real vehicle in a role play environment, but they give you specific instructions prior to the in person interview.

Interview Questions
    • The first interview is an interrogation where you are asked if you lied about anything on your application, now is the time to change it. If you left any employers out, now is the time to change it. Have you ever stole from an employer? Are you eligible for rehire at the last 7 years of employment?   Answer Question
    I already knew, there is no negotiation at this big box auto retailer.

Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM
    Anonymous Employee in Albuquerque, NM

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Applied online, got a phone call a few days later. Had a phone interview and at the end was scheduled for an in person interview. You will then get an email with information about the interview and what should be expected. It's actually very helpful information. The interview consists of talking with a few different managers. If you make it through all the managers, about 3+ hours later, you will get a job offer on the spot. If you did not get an offer, you did not get the job. Unfortunately, I feel as if the last manager who interviewed me was ignoring me right off the bat. During my answers, he was talking to other employees from across the room. I feel as if I was disregarded before I even answered the questions. I didn't get the job, but I truly feel it was unfair. I don't think it is like this everywhere, as most of the managers and employees seemed really nice, but it just so happened that the last person to interview me didn't seem like he was in the mood to listen to anything I had to say.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing was really all that difficult, but the most unexpected was having to explain the last "drug" I used, when, where, and why...   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA
    Anonymous Employee in Burbank, CA

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Very unprofessional. Was originally called by an admin asst who left message. She finally returned my message 2 weeks after I called her back. Next step was phone interview which lasted about 1/2 hour. Nothing unexpected, basic interview questions. Next step was face-to-face interview. Was at CarMax for 4 hours as they basically conducted a "cattle-call" interview. There were 6 applicants and the actual interview lasted about 1/2 hour. . CarMax showed little respect for our time. Not sure why they couldn't stagger the interviews.

Interview Questions
    • Nothing difficult, except you know that you've reached the bottom tier of companies to work for when the predominant questions are to find out if you have a criminal background.   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

I applied online and got a call 3 days later. A sales manager called me for a phone interview, then face to face interview. Nothing too hard.

Interview Questions
    • No surprises. Just asked questions about my experience.   Answer Question

This is a GREAT place to work for PART TIME work. If you work at a grocery store on top of this, then this can be a really profitable opportunity. As a salesmen that has been ranked top in the nation, I declined this because there is no selling involved here. It is a " Take it or leave it" kind of place. A Walmart for cars would be a better way of putting it. I really did not want to work here because I am a salesmen, and this is just a Walmart for cars.. On the OTHER HAND, I WILL buy my next car here, because the selection is beautiful. It felt like I was getting lost in a candy store.

It is 100% commission after training. Training pay is $12 an hour. On 100% commission here with a flat rate of $160 per car you sell, it would be hard to make a decent living here if it is your only job.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax.

Very long interview process. Went through 3 different hour long interviews with 3 different sales managers. I was there for 5.5 hours.

Interview Questions
    • It was fairly intense which is good. They wanted to make sure you were a good fit   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in July 2013.

applied online, took a lengthy personality questionnaire, got a call the next morning about scheduling a phone interview for the following week. Had the phone interview, discussed my personal background and why I was interested in working at CarMax, was told that I would be receiving a call about an in person interview. 4 days later I got a call about interviewing the following day (on saturday). I was sent a file to prepare for the in person interview. Upon arrival at carmax I was greeted by a man who took me to a computer to do another ridiculous questionnaire. Then I went in to have a panel interview and watch a video and prepare for a role playing exercise. The questions on the panel interview were very repetitive and a waste of time.

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in July 2013.

I completed the online application. Then I received a phone call scheduling a phone interview with me. The phone interview was on a Wednesday. Once the interview was over I was told that I would be receiving another call to schedule a face-to-face interview. I was called on Tuesday of the following week. She wanted me to come in the next day but I couldn't make it. So we scheduled for Wednesday of the following week.

Interview Questions
    • What would you say to someone that was very interested in purchasing a vehicle. But then said that he wanted to talk it over with his wife before he made a decision?   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online. The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Easy process. Fill out the online application, followed with a phone interview, then onto a interview with two managers. Then an online assessment, drug test and meeting with the LGM.

Interview Questions
    • It's a situation based interview, easy as pie. Tell me about a time when...   Answer Question

Sales Consultant Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

Expect to be there for several hours as about 5 different people will interview you and lengthy wait times between each questionnaire.

No, CarMax doesn't negotiate anything. Position is 100% commission