CarMax Sales Manager Interview Questions

Updated May 14, 2015

3.4

Sales Manager Interview

Application

The process took 2+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Interview is pretty thorough. Quick process for being as thorough as it is. Overall there was a phone interview, face to face with two general managers, then face to face with regional Vice President. In between , there were multiple hour long assessments testing math skills and personality.

Interview Questions

• What do you know about Carmax ?   1 Answer

Negotiation

No negotiation

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Houston, TX) in June 2014.

Interview

Basic interview process. Standard questions.

Then a strong online assessment. Must have a strong business acumen and customer focus minded to answer the questions correctly.

They got back to me fairly quickly after the initial application. Phone screening, interview with the LGM then another with the district SM.

Interview Questions

• Explain a time when you had to improve the performance of an individual or a group. How did you do this. What was the result?   Answer Question

Negotiation

Was able to negotiate a sign on bonus. It wasn't easy though. They held firm on the base salary.

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview

It took about 3 to 4 weeks for the process. A former boss recommended me for the position. My name was forwarded and the process was on from there. Carmax really grills the folks they want to on-board. If it's not logic testing it's behavioral based questioning. I appreciate that they take their time through the interview process. Makes me feel like I'm going to work for a competent employer. I went through 4 interviews! So if you don't like interviews and get all types of nervous talking to a potential boss and/or colleagues, this is not the job for you! Overall I enjoyed the process, from the recruiters down to the employees! Job well done!

Interview Questions

• How do you delegate efficiently?   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't need to, offer was perfect! Felt like I won the lottery!

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Interview

Applied online and was contacted by recruiter within 2 days. Completed initial phone interview followed by an interview at the location. Was told to expect 3-4 hours due to assessments as well as interview itself. This followed by an interview with VP and then extended offer.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

None

Anonymous Employee in Boynton Beach, FL

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax (Boynton Beach, FL) in February 2013.

Interview

went through two phone interviews with the same person. Then was told a third interview would take place by the general manager, well he called a week later. Said the sales mgr was no longer availible and would I come in for a salesmen position? NO WAY

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax (Henderson, NV) in January 2013.

Interview

Hiring can be intense. Multiple steps with different levels of management. Detailed and position specific.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time that you had to deal with a difficult customer or coworker?   Answer Question

Sales Manager Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in September 2011.

Interview

easy and with glass door I was totally good to get the job I went online and read about the company and it was what they said it would be

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax (Phoenix, AZ) in July 2011.

Interview

Went back and forth with the internal recruiting department. Emailed various quizes and questionaires to fill out. Thenhad phone interview about one week after initial application. Spent an hour on the phone, offered an in store interview, was told to plan on spending three hours in the store. Met with asst to manager who asked me to fill out the same information I already had online, then spent 20 minutes being grilled on my past driving history and criminal history (of which I have none). Very annoying as the questions I had answered on the computer moments before were thre exact same ones. Led me to wonder who applied to work there. Finally met with the manager for ten minutes. He was nice enough but I didnt feel like I was worth his time to speak to. They sent me a form letter a few days letter saying they were nt interested. Felt like I invested a lot fo time as this whole process took almost two weeks. Very disappointed in the way things were handled. Most employees seemed happy.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle your most difficult customer and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • How would you motivate a sales associate who was not meeting his goal?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Phoenix, AZ

Application

The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax (Phoenix, AZ) in June 2011.

Interview

I applied online and received an email for a phone interview about 4 days later. The phone interview was with a recruiter from their head office, the interview went well and lasted over an hour. The questions consisted of a few behavioral based questions and about my background. I was then asked to have a 1:1 interview with the General Manager of the store/dealership. The recruiter said to account for about 3-4 hours at the dealership which would include interviews and testing. I arrived and was asked to answer some addition questions about if i have ever stolen anything, if i had taken drugs, etc. I then had an interview with the GM. We were about to start the interview when someone walked and and said "oh you are conducting an interview, how long will it take?", the GM said 45min. I thought that was odd since you never know how long interviews can take. So he asked behavioral based questions and wrapped up the interview in about 30min. I had a feeling that he had already selected someone for the position since he kept looking at the clock and really didn't seem interested in my answers. He looked bored for most of the interview. I would say that I wasn't really excited about working at a car dealership so it was a good thing that I wasn't asked for additional interviews. About a week later I received an email that I was not selected.

Interview Questions

• Give me an example of when you disagreed with a co-worker and what was the outcome of that conversation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

Application

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at CarMax (Jacksonville, FL) in March 2011.

Interview

Very detailed, very much about; "What did you do when....." Situation, what you did, outcome. Behavior type questions. Key is Communication, courages leadership, result focus.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time when you had to deliver a difficult message to a.......   Answer Question

Negotiation

N/A