CarMax

Getting the Interview

9 candidate interviews Back to all interview questions
Relevance Date Difficulty

Sales Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

Interview Details – It took about 3 to 4 weeks for the process. A former boss recommended me for the position. My name was forwarded and the process was on from there. Carmax really grills the folks they want to on-board. If it's not logic testing it's behavioral based questioning. I appreciate that they take their time through the interview process. Makes me feel like I'm going to work for a competent employer. I went through 4 interviews! So if you don't like interviews and get all types of nervous talking to a potential boss and/or colleagues, this is not the job for you! Overall I enjoyed the process, from the recruiters down to the employees! Job well done!

Interview Question – How do you delegate efficiently?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – I didn't need to, offer was perfect! Felt like I won the lottery!

Henderson, NV

I applied online and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in January 2013.

Interview Details – Hiring can be intense. Multiple steps with different levels of management. Detailed and position specific.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time that you had to deal with a difficult customer or coworker?   Answer Question

Sales Manager

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

Interview Details – Applied online and was contacted by recruiter within 2 days. Completed initial phone interview followed by an interview at the location. Was told to expect 3-4 hours due to assessments as well as interview itself. This followed by an interview with VP and then extended offer.

Interview Question – Tell me about a time you had a difficult customer   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – None

Boynton Beach, FL

I applied online - interviewed at CarMax in February 2013.

Interview Details – went through two phone interviews with the same person. Then was told a third interview would take place by the general manager, well he called a week later. Said the sales mgr was no longer availible and would I come in for a salesmen position? NO WAY

Interview Question – Must be willing to relocate   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in July 2011.

Interview Details – Went back and forth with the internal recruiting department. Emailed various quizes and questionaires to fill out. Thenhad phone interview about one week after initial application. Spent an hour on the phone, offered an in store interview, was told to plan on spending three hours in the store. Met with asst to manager who asked me to fill out the same information I already had online, then spent 20 minutes being grilled on my past driving history and criminal history (of which I have none). Very annoying as the questions I had answered on the computer moments before were thre exact same ones. Led me to wonder who applied to work there. Finally met with the manager for ten minutes. He was nice enough but I didnt feel like I was worth his time to speak to. They sent me a form letter a few days letter saying they were nt interested. Felt like I invested a lot fo time as this whole process took almost two weeks. Very disappointed in the way things were handled. Most employees seemed happy.

Interview Questions

• How did you handle your most difficult customer and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
  • How would you motivate a sales associate who was not meeting his goal?   Answer Question

Phoenix, AZ

The process took 1 week - interviewed at CarMax in June 2011.

Interview Details – I applied online and received an email for a phone interview about 4 days later. The phone interview was with a recruiter from their head office, the interview went well and lasted over an hour. The questions consisted of a few behavioral based questions and about my background. I was then asked to have a 1:1 interview with the General Manager of the store/dealership. The recruiter said to account for about 3-4 hours at the dealership which would include interviews and testing. I arrived and was asked to answer some addition questions about if i have ever stolen anything, if i had taken drugs, etc. I then had an interview with the GM. We were about to start the interview when someone walked and and said "oh you are conducting an interview, how long will it take?", the GM said 45min. I thought that was odd since you never know how long interviews can take. So he asked behavioral based questions and wrapped up the interview in about 30min. I had a feeling that he had already selected someone for the position since he kept looking at the clock and really didn't seem interested in my answers. He looked bored for most of the interview. I would say that I wasn't really excited about working at a car dealership so it was a good thing that I wasn't asked for additional interviews. About a week later I received an email that I was not selected.

Interview Question – Give me an example of when you disagreed with a co-worker and what was the outcome of that conversation.   Answer Question

Sales Manager

I applied online and the process took 3 days - interviewed at CarMax in March 2012.

Interview Details – Interview process was longer than normal because I was waiting for another offer to come in from another company. An offer I did not get, so I took the CarMax offer. The process was detailed and very good. I enjoyed learning more about CarMax.

Interview Question – 300 plus online test.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – N/A - Was unable to do so. I took the offer.

Sales Manager

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in January 2012.

Interview Details – They contacted me by e-mail and arranged for a very pleasant phone interview.
That was followed by a visit to a local branch where they asked me to do on-line stuff,
like IQ test, etc. A little later, I was interviewed by two store managers who were very
polite and intelligent. A week later, I went to see another gentleman who runs the HR
department for the region. That was another great interview by a very kind man. A week
later I was offered a position and I accepted.

Interview Questions

• Tell me about a time you made a risky decision in your last job?   View Answer
  • Tell me about a time you went above and beyond the call of duty for a customer?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Know your worth and speak to it.

Sales Manager Interview

The process took 2 days - interviewed at CarMax in August 2010.

Interview Details – Phone interview, online interview at location, interview with two other managers.

Interview Question – Describe the most difficult employee you have had to manage.   Answer Question

Interviews for Top Jobs at CarMax

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!

CarMax Videos

CarMax – Why Work for Us?

A better way to buy used cars We always knew there had to be a better way to buy used cars. One that would make the process easy and fun. So we created CarMax, and we've been changing the way America buys cars since we… Full Overview

Provided by employer [?]

Glassdoor is your free inside look at CarMax Sales Manager interview questions and advice. All 9 interview reviews posted anonymously by CarMax employees and interview candidates.