CarMax

3.3

11 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Houston, TX

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in June 2014.

Basic interview process. Standard questions.

Then a strong online assessment. Must have a strong business acumen and customer focus minded to answer the questions correctly.

They got back to me fairly quickly after the initial application. Phone screening, interview with the LGM then another with the district SM.

Interview Questions
  • Explain a time when you had to improve the performance of an individual or a group. How did you do this. What was the result?   Answer Question
Was able to negotiate a sign on bonus. It wasn't easy though. They held firm on the base salary.

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

It took about 3 to 4 weeks for the process. A former boss recommended me for the position. My name was forwarded and the process was on from there. Carmax really grills the folks they want to on-board. If it's not logic testing it's behavioral based questioning. I appreciate that they take their time through the interview process. Makes me feel like I'm going to work for a competent employer. I went through 4 interviews! So if you don't like interviews and get all types of nervous talking to a potential boss and/or colleagues, this is not the job for you! Overall I enjoyed the process, from the recruiters down to the employees! Job well done!

Interview Questions
    I didn't need to, offer was perfect! Felt like I won the lottery!

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Applied online and was contacted by recruiter within 2 days. Completed initial phone interview followed by an interview at the location. Was told to expect 3-4 hours due to assessments as well as interview itself. This followed by an interview with VP and then extended offer.

None

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boynton Beach, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Boynton Beach, FL

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax in February 2013.

went through two phone interviews with the same person. Then was told a third interview would take place by the general manager, well he called a week later. Said the sales mgr was no longer availible and would I come in for a salesmen position? NO WAY

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Henderson, NV

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at CarMax in January 2013.

Hiring can be intense. Multiple steps with different levels of management. Detailed and position specific.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time that you had to deal with a difficult customer or coworker?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in July 2011.

Went back and forth with the internal recruiting department. Emailed various quizes and questionaires to fill out. Thenhad phone interview about one week after initial application. Spent an hour on the phone, offered an in store interview, was told to plan on spending three hours in the store. Met with asst to manager who asked me to fill out the same information I already had online, then spent 20 minutes being grilled on my past driving history and criminal history (of which I have none). Very annoying as the questions I had answered on the computer moments before were thre exact same ones. Led me to wonder who applied to work there. Finally met with the manager for ten minutes. He was nice enough but I didnt feel like I was worth his time to speak to. They sent me a form letter a few days letter saying they were nt interested. Felt like I invested a lot fo time as this whole process took almost two weeks. Very disappointed in the way things were handled. Most employees seemed happy.

Interview Questions
    • How did you handle your most difficult customer and what was the outcome?   Answer Question
    • How would you motivate a sales associate who was not meeting his goal?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Phoenix, AZ

The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in June 2011.

I applied online and received an email for a phone interview about 4 days later. The phone interview was with a recruiter from their head office, the interview went well and lasted over an hour. The questions consisted of a few behavioral based questions and about my background. I was then asked to have a 1:1 interview with the General Manager of the store/dealership. The recruiter said to account for about 3-4 hours at the dealership which would include interviews and testing. I arrived and was asked to answer some addition questions about if i have ever stolen anything, if i had taken drugs, etc. I then had an interview with the GM. We were about to start the interview when someone walked and and said "oh you are conducting an interview, how long will it take?", the GM said 45min. I thought that was odd since you never know how long interviews can take. So he asked behavioral based questions and wrapped up the interview in about 30min. I had a feeling that he had already selected someone for the position since he kept looking at the clock and really didn't seem interested in my answers. He looked bored for most of the interview. I would say that I wasn't really excited about working at a car dealership so it was a good thing that I wasn't asked for additional interviews. About a week later I received an email that I was not selected.

Interview Questions
    • Give me an example of when you disagreed with a co-worker and what was the outcome of that conversation.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Jacksonville, FL

I applied through a recruiter – interviewed at CarMax in March 2011.

Very detailed, very much about; "What did you do when....." Situation, what you did, outcome. Behavior type questions. Key is Communication, courages leadership, result focus.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to deliver a difficult message to a.......   Answer Question
    N/A

Sales Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 daysinterviewed at CarMax in March 2012.

Interview process was longer than normal because I was waiting for another offer to come in from another company. An offer I did not get, so I took the CarMax offer. The process was detailed and very good. I enjoyed learning more about CarMax.

Interview Questions
    N/A - Was unable to do so. I took the offer.

Sales Manager Interview

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in January 2012.

They contacted me by e-mail and arranged for a very pleasant phone interview.
    That was followed by a visit to a local branch where they asked me to do on-line stuff,
    like IQ test, etc. A little later, I was interviewed by two store managers who were very
    polite and intelligent. A week later, I went to see another gentleman who runs the HR
    department for the region. That was another great interview by a very kind man. A week
    later I was offered a position and I accepted.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you made a risky decision in your last job?   View Answer
    • Tell me about a time you went above and beyond the call of duty for a customer?   View Answer
    Know your worth and speak to it.