CarMax

Updated Mar 2, 2015

3.5

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virgin, UT
Anonymous Interview Candidate in Virgin, UT

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in March 2011.

I was called for an interview withing 7 days of completing the application. I sat down with 2 managers that asked several questions based on thier competency modles. They were looking for very specific answers not a broad or in general answer. I was passed to a 2nd interview with the senior manager who asked a few questions about prior work experience. Lastly I was interviewed by the Regional Vice President who was probed deep into my prior work experience asking quesiont after question. After that i was offered the position and a drug screen.

Interview Questions
  • Tell me about a time when you gave someone extra responsibility and they failed.
    They will ask you questions that you have to admitt fault and humility. Most people dont do very well at them. My advise is think of some very specific answers and tell them what you would do diferently next time.

Answer Question
They would not negotiate pay and they seemed like it was not a good thing to talk about pay

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax in June 2010.

Extremely through. Although somewhat intimidating, one understood the culture and that only the best would be hired. Very long and tedious

Interview Questions
    • Question on difficulty with prior supervisor and relationship   Answer Question
    No negociation

Service Manager Interview

The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Applied on LinkedIn. Recruiter calls a few days later. Basic questions on background, then immediately tells me she's convinced I'm her guy. I then interview with an HR rep, who in conclusion tells me she going to set up my on site face to face. 4 hours in the center with a dept. manager then Ops manager, took an assessment. Was then set up to meet with RVP 3 hours away. 1.5 hour interview with RVP and HR. RVP talks about my training and how I can come home on the weekends..... Then.... Immediately states "ok, well, we have others in the pipeline, so we'll be in touch!". I knew I was done, and mind you I've Ben unemployed for 5 months and they put me through all this? (Downsized not fired). Basically there is only 1 sole question hat means hiring you or not. "Can you live out of a van, and wander from state to state, city to city, on a dimes notice, your whole caccareer

Interview Questions
    • STAR method all about employee engagement and customer service. Also about talent management.   View Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Doral, FL
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Doral, FL

The process took a weekinterviewed at CarMax in October 2010.

At first it seem over the top because I had just applied for a part-time sales position. But in the end it was much better because I was offered a management job.

well no issues the price was just right