CarMax Strategy Analyst Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2014

3.2

36 Candidate Interview Reviews Back to all interviews

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

First step is an online analytical test. Think SAT questions. It was pretty easy.
Second step is a phone interview that lasted around 45 min. Some easy behavioral questions about your interest in the position and your experiences in work and school. Series of related questions at the end were a mix of a brainteaser and a case.
Third step is a super-day. There is one business case, a few behavioral interviews, and a tricky brainteaser (variation of the secretary question), as well as lunch with members of the team and a tour of the facility.

Interview Questions
  • Secretary question. Its easy to look up online. You have to understand the logic of the question, not just memorize the answer   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CarMax.

Basic management consulting style interview, only at the far lighter end of the spectrum. A basic resume screening was conducted (likely only collected from certain universities), a phone interview took place involving simple behavioral questions and a fairly easy business problem, and then an in-office interview was scheduled. The final round interview I found to be moderately challenging from a case perspective, but quite relaxed in the "fit" portion. This spoke volumes about KMX's interest in getting the right people for their corporate culture, not just those who can do the work.

Interview Questions
    • Combined quantitative/qualitative assessment of growth, development, and acquisition strategies. The case in question combined all the usual data analysis, synthesis, and chart interpretation with an intriguing spatial component. Be on your toes and expect something other than what you'll see stock from Case In Point. Still not nearly as hard as even the first round of BCG/Bain/McKinsey cases.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Phone then in person interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Kennesaw, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Kennesaw, GA

I applied online - interviewed at CarMax in April 2014.

Was very interested in my resume but looked at my GPA and thought otherwise. I thought that was a bit unprofessional. But hey not my lost.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CarMax in March 2014.

I applied through college recruiting. You take a little online assessment first, then they email you about setting up a date for a phone interview. During the phone interview, they basically asked why you want to work at CarMax and gave you more information about the company and the position. Then gave you a word problem about probability and expected payout. Pretty standard

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work at Carmax? Then a case question about expected payout   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at CarMax.

The first step for me was an on-campus interview. The interviewer was a former strategy analyst that has worked his way up to manager. We talked through behavioral questions and scenarios. He also asked a simple linear equation math problem in which he took the sheet of scratch paper so that the question would stay secret. The next portion was completing an online math test and background screening. After this, if you are liked then you get an on-site interview. I have not yet gone on that so I cannot specify yet how that goes.

Interview Questions
    • The math problem was the most unexpected part of the interview.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2+ weeks - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

I applied through my university and was selected for a first round on campus. The interview was the usual, except you go through a small case study problem involving simple math calculations.

Interview Questions
    • Involved a simple algebra system of equations type problem that dealt with maximizing CarMax employee efficiency and profit   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Richmond, VA

I applied through college or university. The process took 5 days - interviewed at CarMax in February 2014.

I applied through on campus recruiting at the University of Illinois. I applied on January 9th. I heard back in Mid February. I was asked to complete a math questionaire. Then I had a phone interview. The phone interview was behavioral at first, but then moved into a case interview. They have invited me to the next round of interviews at their home office. But I think I will be declining

Interview Questions
    • Phone interview case question: Expected payout problem. It involved two possible winners to an American Idol competition. There are two possible bets. You can bet on Jordan for $5 and potentially win $14 (net profit $9). Or you can bet on Chris for $8 and potentially win $13 dollars (net profit $5). The questions revolve around probability of each one winning. Depending on the probability of one winning there is a bet that will be most profitable. The case also adds two other 'bets' in addition to the two listed above. You can either choose not to bet or you can bet on both of them.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university - interviewed at CarMax.

After sending in my resume and cover letter, CarMax Strategy Group got back with me and set up an initial phone interview. As the initial phone conversation, and with no insight as to what this phone call would include, I was extremely surprised when the interviewer began a full case with me. To say that I was not expecting a full case would be an understatement. The interview was behavioral and an overview of your resume and activities to start, as one would expect from an initial phone interview. However, the surprise from the math intensive case interview was too much for me to overcome.

Interview Questions
    • A case interview that covered what the proper betting strategy is for a fan of American Idol.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

QR test beforehand, then phone interview.

Interview Questions

Worked for CarMax? Contribute to the Community!