CarMax

Updated Feb 23, 2015
Updated Feb 23, 2015

3.2

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at CarMax.

Applied through college job board. Contacted for a phone screen, and then a follow up interview call.

The call lasted 1.5 hours, and included a very difficult case study that I wasn't notified about or prepared for. We were instructed not to use a computer or calculator, but the formulas required weren't exactly day to day common. The first half of the phone interview was a basic skills/situational interview.

Interview Questions
  • Case study regarding potential locations and statistical returns for two proposed stores   Answer Question

Other Interview Reviews for CarMax

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Applied on campus recruiting site and was contacted within a few days to take an online math assessment. After that scheduled an interview on campus for the next week. Overall the initial interview was pretty easy and casual. Half behavioral questions and then one case study. Was invited to come up to corporate for a super interview day and that will happen in the next week or so but as of now all I know of that is that it is a few case studies and behavioral questions

Interview Questions
    • Why do you want to work for CarMax?
      Why the strategy analyst role?

Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied online – interviewed at CarMax.

I had to take an online assessment which wasn't bad. Then had a first round phone interview. It was about 45 minutes. Started with behavioral questions and ended with a business case. I felt rushed throughout the business case and the interviewer didn't help out with it.

Interview Questions
    • How would you balance the amount of customer traffic you receive if you were a manager at a CarMax location?   Answer Question

Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA
    Anonymous Employee in Atlanta, GA

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2015.

Submitted resume and about 2 weeks later got a call to schedule an interview. Interview had a brief get to know you period then a really simple case study (there was a correct answer... you will have to do math) and more information about the position. Should hear back in the next few days and if accepted the next step will be a tour of the site culminating with an offer.

Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC
    Anonymous Employee in Durham, NC

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in February 2015.

I applied for the strategy analyst summer intern position. The kind of first round was an online exam, and it was about mathematics an statistics. The second round was on-campus interview. The whole process was one hour and it was a combination of behavior and case interview. Be prepare to do some maths problem. It was not hard because the interviewer will go through the problem with you, and he will point out your mistake directly.

Interview Questions
    • Can you go through with me about a time when you solve a problem with analytical skills?   View Answer

Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA
    Anonymous Employee in Richmond, VA

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at CarMax.

Applied for a job as a Strategy Analyst and got an email the next day asking to take an assessment. I took the assessment and after about 2 or 3 questions, I just gave up after a while and clicked my way to the end.

Interview Questions
    • The assessment was absolutely insane. Who does that and why would companies put people through that?   View Answer

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4 weeksinterviewed at CarMax in November 2014.

First interview was on campus, took about an hour and included behavioral questions and a case. The interviewer stressed how great benefits are at the company. Second interview was similar to the first but over the phone. The cases were a little tricky but more like math problems than your traditional business cases.

Interview Questions
    • Tricky question about expected values of investing in land where a bridge may be built.   Answer Question
    Did not negotiate for internship salary.

Strategy Analyst Interview

Resume drop through my career center. Step 1 was an online math and calculations exam. Step 2 was a behavioral/case interview. Step 3 was a super day at the headquarters

Interview Questions
    • Business Case, not exactly management consulting style, more geared towards understanding concepts and calculations   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at CarMax.

Basic management consulting style interview, only at the far lighter end of the spectrum. A basic resume screening was conducted (likely only collected from certain universities), a phone interview took place involving simple behavioral questions and a fairly easy business problem, and then an in-office interview was scheduled. The final round interview I found to be moderately challenging from a case perspective, but quite relaxed in the "fit" portion. This spoke volumes about KMX's interest in getting the right people for their corporate culture, not just those who can do the work.

Interview Questions
    • Combined quantitative/qualitative assessment of growth, development, and acquisition strategies. The case in question combined all the usual data analysis, synthesis, and chart interpretation with an intriguing spatial component. Be on your toes and expect something other than what you'll see stock from Case In Point. Still not nearly as hard as even the first round of BCG/Bain/McKinsey cases.   Answer Question

Strategy Analyst Interview

Phone then in person interview