Cardiff University

Updated Jul 27, 2014

1.8

Interviews for Top Jobs at Cardiff University

Research Associate Interview

I applied online. The process took 3+ monthsinterviewed at Cardiff University in December 2013.

The entire procedure tooks 3 month. I applied online via cardiff university website and get an invitation for the job interview 2 month later. It was a face to face interview (travel expense refund) with no special hard questions. My powerpoint presentation was a plus.

Interview Questions
    • classic questions (future plan in 10 years, skills you can add to the current team)   Answer Question
    No negociation phase

Research Assistant Interview

I applied in-person. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cardiff University.

One to one interview with project license holder.

Open to negotiation.

Research Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cardiff University in April 2013.

Applied online to a Research Associate position for an EPRSC project (a research funding agency from the UK). A few weeks after the closing date, I received an invitation for an Skype interview with a panel of three people.

The interview was nice, mostly a background check and questions about how would I solve some of the technical problems that could arise during the project

Interview Questions
    There was no negotiation (salary was fixed) except regarding the starting date (I was able to delay it by 1 month)

Research Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cardiff, Wales (UK)

I applied online. The process took a dayinterviewed at Cardiff University in April 2011.

Shortly after the closing date I've got an interview invitation that included travel expenses (always a plus). The interview was with a pannel of three people including an admin person and two scientist one of them the programme leader. The interview was very relaxed and easy, no tough questions, they were more interested in an informal chat and get to know you than anything else.
    Some examples:
    1. Talk a bit about your CV and how do you think your experience fits with the position
    2. Example of a difficult situation that involved team work, how did you contributed...
    3. What my co-workers will say about me?
    4. Computing skills specialy about excel. They ask me about what excel macros are.
    5. What keeps me motivated?
    6. What do you know about the human papiloma virus?
    7. Career plans and objectives
    8. Explain what is your understanding of the project you will be involved in
    8. Reasons for applying for the job. They challenge my reasons for applying to the job asking me repeatdely about routinary work.
    9. Hobbies

Very predecible questions

Interview Questions
    • Coming from a different area of research, why are you interested in this topic and how do you think your previous experience prepares you for this job?   Answer Question