CareerBuilder

Relevance Date Difficulty

Project Manager Interview

Project Manager
Norcross, GA

I applied online and the process took 3 weeks - interviewed at CareerBuilder in July 2014.

Interview Details – First round was a phone call with the recruiter. Then an on-site interview with the hiring manager, followed by another on-site round of interviews with several people I would be working with.

Interview Question – The questions were very specific and scenario-driven. There weren't many generic "what ifs" thrown around. They were situations they are actually dealing with (or have dealt with) in their environment.   View Answer

Client Advocate Interview

Client Advocate
Norcross, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at CareerBuilder in July 2013.

Interview Details – Panel Interview. Prepare and show that you did. Ask relevant questions, and be prepared for a curve ball or two. They like fit, so if you want the job, be pretty social and sociable, unless you're just some sort of top gun shoe-in with a killer resume. Usually 1-3 rounds of panel interviews, you and 2-3 manager types.

Interview Question – Can't remember exactly. Just be confident, and if you don't know the answer, don't bs it. Say what you think, admit you're not sure, that you'll learn it and move on.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – minimal. I needed it.

Human Resources Interview

Human Resources
Norcross, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CareerBuilder in April 2014.

Interview Details – Great interview experience. The recruiter was very thorough and attentive. At our first conversation (supported by Glassdoor reviews), I knew the compensation would be low. After speaking with the Recruiter, I spoke with the manager for the role. We spoke extensively about my experience. During the process, I asked about transit discounts and flexible hours. Unfortunately, the Norcross office appears to offer neither. Though it is a technology company, there appears to be a significant expectation that all work must be done in the office. I'm certain my questions were a turn off for them, as the conversations I was going to have next with three other employees didn't happen. From what I gathered, it seems like a great place to work with opportunities to do very meaningful work, however, work-life balance, appears to have minimal importance at this time.

Interview Question – No difficult questions. Most questions were behavioral and really dug into my previous experiences.   Answer Question

Account Executive Interview

Account Executive
Norcross, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 4 weeks - interviewed at CareerBuilder in April 2013.

Interview Details – You submit (find someone that works there and convince them you are good enough so they get the referral bonus too) resume, they call, you go in and talk, then you come back and present on a company, then they tell you if you are hired.

Negotiation Details – There was no negotiation because what they offered is very fair

Client Advocate Interview

Client Advocate
Norcross, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 2 days - interviewed at CareerBuilder in December 2013.

Interview Details – My interview with this company was unlike any other I had ever had. The manager and his sidekick made the experience a blessing! Interviews can be very scary and intimidating and the two of them made this interview very comfortable and set the tone for this to be an awesome interview from the beginning. I very much appreciated this aspect of interviewing because it made me feel like I could be myself and relax, all while still maintaining professionalism!

Interview Question – In a previous job, have you ever had to tell a client no, and if so how did you?   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – In this particular position there is no negotiating, it is pretty set in stone.

Relaxed & Informal, Yet Thorough Interview Process Interview

Relaxed & Informal, Yet Thorough Interview Process
Norcross, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took 1+ week - interviewed at CareerBuilder in February 2014.

Interview Details – Management position.

Interview 1: Phone Screen
Recruiter asked basic questions about experience and salary requirements plus a few that were more specific such as "what is your leadership style?"

Interview 2: Future Boss
Next interview was in person with my would-be boss. Mostly management/process questions. Very general and open ended. If I mentioned one area of experience, for example user experience testing, a common follow up would be to ask "what would you have to change in your approach to get better at..." followed by a related subject, for example back end coding.

An engineering lead was brought in briefly to ask one technical question: Given a number >= 10,000, write function in any language to find the greatest sum of five consecutive digits. I got about half way through before they stopped me, saying I did very well and they didn't need to see any more. When it was my turn for questions, the answers were very thorough.

Interview 3: Technical / Situational
The next interview was with two of the engineering leads that would be reporting to me, plus the boss. I was told up-front by the recruiter that it would be mostly technical but a large portion of it ended up being situational. My answer to the "warm up" technical question was something they hadn't seen before. The boss tried to stop me, but the engineering leads asked me to continue so I did. We ended up spending the entire technical portion of the interview on it. The question was to write a function to find "happy numbers". One of the engineers disagreed on whether my solution would work, so I ended up posting the solution to GitHub the next day to prove it.

The situational questions sounded like real situations they were actively dealing with or had recently dealt with... if we were about to miss a deadline and could lose a sale as a result, how do you handle that? If a business owner tries to dictate technical details of a solution and the engineers disagree, how would you come to a resolution?

Interview 4: VP #1
The next interview was with a VP over the phone (it was supposed to be in person, but scheduling was difficult). Despite being on the phone, it was very detailed. He was VERY familiar with my resume, and had obviously gone beyond that and Googled me (he noted details from my personal website, LinkedIn, and what must have been notes from the previous 3 interviews). Virtually all questions were open ended yet very specific to my background. For example, "I see you mention SOA on your LinkedIn, tell me about that." He would keep probing until I was giving very detailed answers.

I don't remember what the original question was, but at one point I found myself describing the role of dependency inversion in unit testing when I realized I was talking to a VP, not an engineer, so I stopped and said "I don't meet many VPs that can understand what I'm saying" and he said "it's fine, keep going" which I thought was cool.

Interview 5: VP #2 + Team Lunch
The final interview was with another VP. He started by asking me what I wanted to know about CareerBuilder. I had plenty of questions, so that part went well and took up most of the interview. I think he was glad to see I had dome my homework. At one point he asked what I thought the key to developing new leaders was, I answered "luck," and we had a good laugh before getting into a more nuanced response.

Following that, I had lunch with the team I'd be leading. Everyone was in high spirits and there was plenty of good nerd-humor to go around. I got a few questions and asked a few questions, but most of the conversation was social.

Offer
Got an offer over the phone the next day.

Interview Questions

• Given a number >= 10,000, write function in any language to find the greatest sum of five consecutive digits.   View Answer
  • Write a function to determine if a given integer is a happy number.   View Answer
  • What is the key to developing leadership skills in others?   View Answer

Negotiation Details – Based on my initial discussion with the recruiter on salary requirements, they came in low. Have not finished the negotiation phase, but I'm optimistic.

Software Engineer Intern Interview

Software Engineer Intern
Norcross, GA

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 3 days - interviewed at CareerBuilder in September 2012.

Interview Details – I was nervous to be interviewed by multiple teams at once. The room was large and they sat me at the edge of the table. The question was not challenging, the only part that I believe I was really tested on was the ability to optimize my answer. I loved the office. The people were nice and had great jokes. Everyone was cool and seemed really optimistic to have me.

Interview Question – It was not so difficult, but evaluating on my answer was probably the hardest part of the interview.   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – They asked me what I wanted to be paid initially, and they just agreed to it.

Very Easy Interview

Intern Interview

Intern
Norcross, GA

I applied online and the process took 2 weeks - interviewed at CareerBuilder in December 2013.

Interview Details – There was one interview. The office layout seemed confusing at first but is actually realy simple. Everyone was very nice and offered snacks/drinks. The questions were pretty easy and mostly consist of things like why you want the position and what kind of background you have. This is a much more simple interview than full-time/salary employees have.

Interview Question – There weren't really any unexpected questions. The most difficult question was "where do you see your career going?" but this isn't difficult for most people   Answer Question

Business Intelligence Analyst Interview

Business Intelligence Analyst
Norcross, GA

I applied online and the process took a day - interviewed at CareerBuilder in November 2013.

Interview Details – The interview process was nicely set up. it was more of a conversation session rather than an interview. the interviewer where prepared and asked reasonable questions. and explained bout the company thoroughly

Negotiation Details – it was a fixed salary

Client Support Specialist Interview

Client Support Specialist
Norcross, GA

I applied through an employee referral and the process took a day - interviewed at CareerBuilder.

Interview Details – 1 Interview with 2 managers. They will fire off question after question. I.E.
*How good is your excel
*what is your experience dealing with Sales reps (another red flag)
*are you willing to go about and beyond (will you work free overtime)
*describe a difficult situation with a client
*describe a difficult situation with a co-worker
*describe a difficult situation with a boss (Because only 2 of out all of them are any good)

Interview Question – If you are swamped with work (which you will be quite a lot. A ref flag should have gone up for me, but I am young and naive) how can manage having multiple deadlines.   View Answer

Negotiation Details – None, take it or leave it.

Interviews for Top Jobs at CareerBuilder

Worked for CareerBuilder? Contribute to the Community!