CareerBuilder Interview Questions in Norcross, GA

Updated Jul 30, 2015

2.9

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in December 2014.

Interview

There were three separate interviews. The first was on the phone with very basic questions about what projects I had done and my previous job experience. After that they emailed two coding problems that I had twenty four hours to solve. The second was in person with the person who was going to be my boss. Similar questions as before, added in several sql database questions, and a coding exercize. The third interview was with my boss again, and the team members I would be working with. Another coding problem and the team asked me how comfortable I was with the technologies they were using and tested my knowledge of them.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that checks for cycles in a doubly linked list.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Software Engineer I Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone screen and onsite technical/behavioral interview...was easy interview, very casual, people are very nice. Not a pressured interview environment, recruiters are very friendly. Doesn’t seem like a very intense technology company. Wasn’t specific about what team I was interviewing for

Interview Questions

• Reverse a string   1 Answer
    • write an algorithm to determine is "happy" ... a number is happy if the sum of the square of the digits ever equals one. An example of a happy number is 19: 1^2 + 9^2 = 82 8^2 + 2^2 = 68 6^2 + 8^2 = 100 1^2 + 0^2 + 0^2 = 1 If it is not happy then it will eventually hit repeat back to a number that it already saw   1 Answer

Agile Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied in-person. The process took 4 weeks. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA).

Interview

I went through an initial screening interview, a very difficult written evaluation with actual CareerBuilder scenarios involved, and then a panel interview with the Product Owners and managers I would be working with and a panel interview with the Agile Project Management team. The questions required excellent knowledge of Scrum and Kanban methodologies as well as questions about Lean and internal CareerBuilder terminology. I did a lot of research for the interviews. The interviews were warm, welcoming, and light-hearted--the experience was excellent.

Interview Questions

• Many of the questions were pulled from current and real dilemmas faced at CareerBuilder, I used the STAR method to respond since it was both a matter of book knowledge and behavioral response.   Answer Question

Negotiation

I was unable to negotiate.

Project Manager Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in July 2014.

Interview

First round was a phone call with the recruiter. Then an on-site interview with the hiring manager, followed by another on-site round of interviews with several people I would be working with.

Interview Questions

• The questions were very specific and scenario-driven. There weren't many generic "what ifs" thrown around. They were situations they are actually dealing with (or have dealt with) in their environment.   1 Answer

Human Resources Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in April 2014.

Interview

Great interview experience. The recruiter was very thorough and attentive. At our first conversation (supported by Glassdoor reviews), I knew the compensation would be low. After speaking with the Recruiter, I spoke with the manager for the role. We spoke extensively about my experience. During the process, I asked about transit discounts and flexible hours. Unfortunately, the Norcross office appears to offer neither. Though it is a technology company, there appears to be a significant expectation that all work must be done in the office. I'm certain my questions were a turn off for them, as the conversations I was going to have next with three other employees didn't happen. From what I gathered, it seems like a great place to work with opportunities to do very meaningful work, however, work-life balance, appears to have minimal importance at this time.

Interview Questions

• No difficult questions. Most questions were behavioral and really dug into my previous experiences.   Answer Question

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in February 2014.

Interview

Management position. Interview 1: Phone Screen Recruiter asked basic questions about experience and salary requirements plus a few that were more specific such as "what is your leadership style?" Interview 2: Future Boss Next interview was in person with my would-be boss. Mostly management/process questions. Very general and open ended. If I mentioned one area of experience, for example user experience testing, a common follow up would be to ask "what would you have to change in your approach to get better at..." followed by a related subject, for example back end coding. An engineering lead was brought in briefly to ask one technical question: Given a number >= 10,000, write function in any language to find the greatest sum of five consecutive digits. I got about half way through before they stopped me, saying I did very well and they didn't need to see any more. When it was my turn for questions, the answers were very thorough. Interview 3: Technical / Situational The next interview was with two of the engineering leads that would be reporting to me, plus the boss. I was told up-front by the recruiter that it would be mostly technical but a large portion of it ended up being situational. My answer to the "warm up" technical question was something they hadn't seen before. The boss tried to stop me, but the engineering leads asked me to continue so I did. We ended up spending the entire technical portion of the interview on it. The question was to write a function to find "happy numbers". One of the engineers disagreed on whether my solution would work, so I ended up posting the solution to GitHub the next day to prove it. The situational questions sounded like real situations they were actively dealing with or had recently dealt with... if we were about to miss a deadline and could lose a sale as a result, how do you handle that? If a business owner tries to dictate technical details of a solution and the engineers disagree, how would you come to a resolution? Interview 4: VP #1 The next interview was with a VP over the phone (it was supposed to be in person, but scheduling was difficult). Despite being on the phone, it was very detailed. He was VERY familiar with my resume, and had obviously gone beyond that and Googled me (he noted details from my personal website, LinkedIn, and what must have been notes from the previous 3 interviews). Virtually all questions were open ended yet very specific to my background. For example, "I see you mention SOA on your LinkedIn, tell me about that." He would keep probing until I was giving very detailed answers. I don't remember what the original question was, but at one point I found myself describing the role of dependency inversion in unit testing when I realized I was talking to a VP, not an engineer, so I stopped and said "I don't meet many VPs that can understand what I'm saying" and he said "it's fine, keep going" which I thought was cool. Interview 5: VP #2 + Team Lunch The final interview was with another VP. He started by asking me what I wanted to know about CareerBuilder. I had plenty of questions, so that part went well and took up most of the interview. I think he was glad to see I had dome my homework. At one point he asked what I thought the key to developing new leaders was, I answered "luck," and we had a good laugh before getting into a more nuanced response. Following that, I had lunch with the team I'd be leading. Everyone was in high spirits and there was plenty of good nerd-humor to go around. I got a few questions and asked a few questions, but most of the conversation was social. Offer Got an offer over the phone the next day.

Interview Questions

• Given a number >= 10,000, write function in any language to find the greatest sum of five consecutive digits.   1 Answer
    • Write a function to determine if a given integer is a happy number.   1 Answer
    • What is the key to developing leadership skills in others?   1 Answer

Negotiation

Based on my initial discussion with the recruiter on salary requirements, they came in low. Have not finished the negotiation phase, but I'm optimistic.

Software Engineer II Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in January 2014.

Interview

1) Over the phone interview on what the job was like. 2) Initial interview with the manager. He explained the type of work I would be doing and just picked my brain to see if I was a good fit. He reviewed my Github account and it was good enough for him. 3) I came back for a second interview with the manager's manager and the team I'd be working on. The team asked me technical questions about Object oriented programming.

Interview Questions

• What kind of applications have you built that you were proud of?   1 Answer

Client Advocate Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 days. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in December 2013.

Interview

My interview with this company was unlike any other I had ever had. The manager and his sidekick made the experience a blessing! Interviews can be very scary and intimidating and the two of them made this interview very comfortable and set the tone for this to be an awesome interview from the beginning. I very much appreciated this aspect of interviewing because it made me feel like I could be myself and relax, all while still maintaining professionalism!

Interview Questions

• In a previous job, have you ever had to tell a client no, and if so how did you?   Answer Question

Negotiation

In this particular position there is no negotiating, it is pretty set in stone.

Intern Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in December 2013.

Interview

There was one interview. The office layout seemed confusing at first but is actually realy simple. Everyone was very nice and offered snacks/drinks. The questions were pretty easy and mostly consist of things like why you want the position and what kind of background you have. This is a much more simple interview than full-time/salary employees have.

Interview Questions

• There weren't really any unexpected questions. The most difficult question was "where do you see your career going?" but this isn't difficult for most people   Answer Question

Client Support Specialist Interview

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA).

Interview

1 Interview with 2 managers. They will fire off question after question. I.E. *How good is your excel *what is your experience dealing with Sales reps (another red flag) *are you willing to go about and beyond (will you work free overtime) *describe a difficult situation with a client *describe a difficult situation with a co-worker *describe a difficult situation with a boss (Because only 2 of out all of them are any good)

Interview Questions

• If you are swamped with work (which you will be quite a lot. A ref flag should have gone up for me, but I am young and naive) how can manage having multiple deadlines.   1 Answer

Negotiation

None, take it or leave it.