CareerBuilder Software Engineer I Interview Questions

Updated Apr 28, 2015

2.8

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in December 2014.

Interview

There were three separate interviews. The first was on the phone with very basic questions about what projects I had done and my previous job experience. After that they emailed two coding problems that I had twenty four hours to solve. The second was in person with the person who was going to be my boss. Similar questions as before, added in several sql database questions, and a coding exercize. The third interview was with my boss again, and the team members I would be working with. Another coding problem and the team asked me how comfortable I was with the technologies they were using and tested my knowledge of them.

Interview Questions

• Write a method that checks for cycles in a doubly linked list.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation. It was take it or leave it.

Other Interview Reviews for CareerBuilder

Anonymous Employee in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in November 2014.

Interview

Phone screen and onsite technical/behavioral interview...was easy interview, very casual, people are very nice. Not a pressured interview environment, recruiters are very friendly. Doesn’t seem like a very intense technology company. Wasn’t specific about what team I was interviewing for

Interview Questions

• Reverse a string   1 Answer
    • write an algorithm to determine is "happy" ... a number is happy if the sum of the square of the digits ever equals one. An example of a happy number is 19: 1^2 + 9^2 = 82 8^2 + 2^2 = 68 6^2 + 8^2 = 100 1^2 + 0^2 + 0^2 = 1 If it is not happy then it will eventually hit repeat back to a number that it already saw   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in October 2012.

Interview

I had three interviews. The first was a low stress phone interview where I was mostly asked about my background and why I liked Computer Science. I was called back the same day and asked to come to an on site interview with two team leads. For the second interview I was asked about projects I'd worked on and various OO questions. I was then asked to write some code on a whiteboard. In this case I had to write a function that would take in a string and determine whether or not it was a palindrome. I could use any language I wanted and I was told they weren't concerned about it being syntactically correct as long as I could explain what I was doing. I was then called back for a second round of interviews, this time a with two different teams. This interview went pretty much like the first, with more questions around past projects and OO programming. The first team asked me a very difficult question about quickly accessing data for an autocomplete function. I eventually got to the correct answer but not without lots and lots of hints. They later admitted that they usually don't ask entry level candidates this question. The second team asked me to write a function that would take in an integer and return a word (e.g. pass in "23" and return "twenty three"). I didn't think I had done that well with the second interview so I was very surprised to get a call with a job offer later that day.

Interview Questions

• Write a function that will determine whether or not a string is a palindrome.   1 Answer

Negotiation

I didn't negotiate. The offers are pretty standard for entry level hires.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 6 weeks. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in October 2012.

Interview

The interview process was really long. I was grateful that I was selected for the interviews. I think overall, the company did everything they could to make it as smooth as possible. It took about a month and a half before I received any word. It started with a phone screen. The recruiter told me about the company and what it does. I was asked a bunch of questions regarding my experience with tools and software development (you should always make sure you have a good grasp on OOP and SQL). A few weeks later, I was given a programming task over google docs with two managers. I was able to solve the problem with a regex. I didn't hear from them for another 2 weeks. By this time I thought I wasn't going to get a call back Turns out, they wanted to fly me down for an in-person interview. A week later, I flew in for an interview. I interviewed with two teams. The atmosphere was really chill and I really enjoyed interviewing.

Interview Questions

• What do you like about web development?   Answer Question
    • Reverse string. Reverse sentence. Definitely know your SQL and OOP concepts.   Answer Question

Negotiation

There was no negotiation phase. I was happy with the offer.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Norcross, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ week. I interviewed at CareerBuilder (Norcross, GA) in October 2011.

Interview

Applied on their site around 11pm, received an email about a phone interview at 11:40pm the same night. Went through an initial phone interview with a hiring agent, and was passed along for a second phone interview. The second phone interview involved some problem solving, and general Software Engineering knowledge questions. Received a call later that day, asking for an in-person interview. Was flown down to Norcross, GA to interview with two teams for two potential positions. Spent around 5 or 6 hours at the offices, 2 hours of which was the interview, the rest were tours and lunch. Was contacted 2-3 days later with a job offer.

Interview Questions

• Take an input string and output the reverse of that string. May use any programming language.   3 Answers

Negotiation

Was offered a salary amount I was happy with. Requested some financial assistance for the move to the Atlanta area, and they offered an initial bonus to help cover the costs of moving.