Cargill Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

Intern Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cargill.

Applied online through university career website, contacted me within a week and set up an interview on campus. The interview was set up as panel but it resulted in one person talking while the other two employees sat there and looked at me. It was uncomfortable to say the least.

Communications Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 2+ monthsinterviewed at Cargill.

I applied for the position at a jobs and internships fair where I met my hiring manager. I was called in for an in-person interview within a week. A month later, I heard from them again, and was asked to provide a writing and editorial sample.

Administrative Assistant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lititz, PA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Lititz, PA

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cargill in October 2014.

Initial phone interview had situational questions from home office (probably third party). Contacted initially via email to set up phone interview, and personnel were very thorough, polite, knowledgeable and excellent at following up appropriately. A coordinator then set up an onsite interview supplying via email the personnel names I would be interviewing with along with information about the company, company benefits, the job description, directions to the location, contact information and to expect a behavioral interview. In addition, there was information on what to expect "post interview."

The company office is in a lovely location and very quiet. The employees appeared to be pleasant and quiet. They asked some of the questions from their Cargill template. I interviewed with the accounting department first then with HR. The two interviews were very different. Unfortunately, the job did not have a strong, cohesive job description-- 50% ad hoc doing whatever is given to you by whatever department, 20% with accounting, 10% doing work for the president (who you did not meet nor interview or report to), and the remainder being receptionist duties and other items.

I can tell you the work environment, the people, and the company are steadfast and positive. I have nothing but the utmost respect for this company and am only disappointed by the fact that given how large they are that I do not hear more about all the positive things they do in the (local or national) news! I really believe they empower and motivate employees.

At the end of the interview, they did offer their business card if I had any questions. I did have one question and followed up -- they never responded. That was disheartening because my experience had all been positive up to that point. However, they definitely get points for sticking to their timeline and what they say they were going to do. They told me the next steps, and they would contact everyone by a specified date to let them know the outcomes of the interviews. They stuck to their word! That is refreshing in today's world to be notified in a timely manner as to whether you have a job offer or denial.

Interview Questions
    • Most questions were typical. How did you handle a difficult situation? Give an instant when you made a mistake. Tell me about yourself.   View Answer

Archive Processor Interview

I applied online – interviewed at Cargill.

I first talked with someone from the HR department. She was very friendly and didn't have many questions, just conducted an initial screening to make sure I was a mostly normal person. For the in-person interview, I met with two staff members. They spent time showing me around, explaining lots about the company. The interview itself was a more casual conversation than tough questioning. Overall, very nice and accommodating people.

Data Entry Specialist Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cargill in September 2014.

I was contacted about 2 weeks after the online application. A face to face interview was set for a week later. My interview went really well and I received a call about an hour later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • All pretty simple behavioral questions. It was actually quite conversational and enjoyable. No really difficult of unexpected questions.   Answer Question
    I didn't realize the position was entry level, so the offer was much lower than I expected. They agreed to up the offer slightly, but negotiating is very limited and based on your desirability.

Chemical Engineering Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cargill in September 2014.

Sent in Resume through University site and then spoke with them at the career fair. At the career fair, the first person sent me to another person after speaking with me and then I was offered an interview. Interviewed the next day on campus and was contacted over the phone 3 weeks later with an offer.

Interview Questions
    • A lot of "Tell me about a time when" questions. One was to tell them about a time when I saw a process that needed improving and how I improved it. A few technical questions about my past intern experience and what I did.   Answer Question
    No negotiation since it is a Co-op. There offer was very good though.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Madison, WI

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cargill.

Recruiters on campus and interviews also conducted on campus. Less than a week process for the interview portion and heard offer information in less than 2 weeks. Very willing to answer questions and offer plenty of opportunities to learn more about the company before applying.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time when you had to work with a difficult teammate and how you overcame that.   View Answer
    No option to negotiate

Commodity Merchant Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cargill.

Received an initial phone interview that lasted 45 minutes, general questions regarding prior work experience, some scenarios, and questions about personality. Had an on site interview that lasted almost 2 hours with 4 different people. Same general questions as phone interview plus questions that the interviewers were given to ask - like a script. Followed up the on site interview with a 4 hour job shadow.

Interview Questions
    • Explain to me your most difficult work situation, the negative criticism you received, and how you reacted.   Answer Question

Intern Interview

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 6+ weeksinterviewed at Cargill.

You are recruited. It definately pays to know someone in Recruitment and/or a Hiring Manager. This a private company and if you don't know anyone work on getting an internship or get on linkedin see what you may have in common with somene professionaly like creditianals or organization wise.

It was an internship.

Retail Account Representative Interview

I applied online. The process took 5 weeksinterviewed at Cargill in August 2014.

Completed three phone interviews over the course of four weeks. The first two were very positive experiences. However, I could tell that the third interviewer had his mind made up to begin with. I'm not sure what documents were provided to him, but he asked about me living in Huntsville, Alabama. I've never even been to Huntsville, so I immediately had a bad feeling from there. The coordination process through the recruiters was a little tedious, but organized. The recruiters were wonderful about working with my schedule, as I was out of the country when they attempted to schedule my second interview. Also, I did not want to be disrespectful or neglect my current employer, so they allowed me to schedule the interviews at times that were appropriate.

Interview Questions
    • "Tell me one thing you have learned in the past year and how you have applied that."   Answer Question