Cargill Interview Questions

Updated Aug 26, 2014

Quality Assurance Specialist Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Omaha, NE
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Omaha, NE

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cargill in January 2010.

Phone interview by recruiters followed by a live interview panel on site by folks you will be working with or reporting to which consisted of two separate sets of interviewers. Very thorough so be prepared to think on your feet and have good examples of past work experience, leadership, innovation, and communication ready to share.

Interview Questions
    • Tell me about a time you challenged the status quo and lost.   Answer Question
    There was limited ability to negotiate.

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wayzata, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayzata, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cargill in May 2013.

I was interviewed on the phone separately by a human resources professional and the hiring manager. I then submitted copies of my work. Finally, I had a face-to-face interview with the hiring managers. The process was very professional and enhanced my desire to be hired by the company (I had two other live offers at the time).

Interview Questions
    • I do not recall any difficult or "trick" questions. I was asked how I would respond to deadlines and pressure.   View Answer
    There was no opportunity to negotiate - the offer was standard for the position.

Conversion Analyst Interview

I applied online - interviewed at Cargill.

interview process was pretty straight forward. I interviewed for 2 different roles that day with a panel that included the hiring manager, the team lead and the HR rep.

Sales Account Manager Interview

I applied online. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cargill.

Prepare for behavioral based questions at all stages of the interview. If you pass the phone screen be prepared to for "panel interview" Cargill loves to gang up on candidates.

Interview Questions
    • From 1-10, Rate your level of courage. Why?
      Money aside, what would you want to do, if you could do anything?

Accountant Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Hopkins, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkins, MN

I applied through other source. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cargill.

Started with 20 min. phone screen then three rounds of panel interviews with two people each. Ranging from Managers of the Business Unit to people in Finance.

Interview Questions
    • Situation based interview questions. Very friendly and easy going really interested to see how I would fit into the position.   Answer Question

Quality Management Chemist (Full Time) Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Cedar Rapids, IA
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Cedar Rapids, IA

I applied through college or university - interviewed at Cargill in October 2013.

I met with Cargill at my University's job fair in the fall. I applied in mid/late September. In about 1 week I received an invite for an on-campus interview. After the on-campus interview, I waited about 3 weeks before receiving an email saying there had been so many applicants and that they were still reviewing the applications. About 2 weeks later, I received a phone call with my invitation to interview at the Cedar Rapids plant in Iowa.

They arranged all travel plans accordingly and reimbursed for pretty much everything (baggage fees, food up to $25/day, etc). The interview was a 2 day interview.

Day 1: After checking into my hotel, we gathered in the lobby and hopped on a bus for a plant tour. After the plant tour, we got to do a Q&A with the chemists currently on the job. After the plant tour, we had dinner with some of the management representing nearly all the potential locations that were hiring.

Day 2: Woke up, got dressed in business formal attire, and headed down for lunch. After lunch they spent about 45 minutes going over all of the benefits, compensation, hiring and miscellaneous questions. There were two groups of interviews (one in the morning, and one in the early afternoon). The Day 2 interviews consisted of 2 two-person interviews with management from various locations. All the employees were knowledgable and very nice and easy to talk to.

After the interview, it took less than 1 week to hear back. Overall, it was a very pleasant experience. I was impressed with the time they took to go over the benefits package. Also, they stressed that the interview process was not only for them to find out if we were a good fit for the company, but it was also for us to find out if we think we would enjoy the job, seeing how it was mostly 12-hour rotating shifts on plants open 365 days/year.

Interview Questions
    • They asked a few situational and technical questions.

Toughest technical: Describe photosynthesis.

I know this is an easy question, but I am a senior chemistry major 3 years removed from first-year biology so I got that wrong.

Agronomy Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  West Lafayette, IN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in West Lafayette, IN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 3 weeks - interviewed at Cargill in October 2011.

Asked about challenges in our life and how they were solved in a step by step process. The rest seemed conversational.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a challenge and how you overcame that challenge.   Answer Question

Production Management Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate  in  Wayzata, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayzata, MN

I applied in-person. The process took 2 months - interviewed at Cargill.

Entire interview and hiring process took ~1.5 months total. First interview was conducted on campus after career fair and only lasted for 20 minutes. Second interview consisted of three 40 minute 1:1 interviews at MN headquarters on talent day. All questions were behavioral type of questions, so prepare examples of leadership experience, conflicts resolution, how you've worked in a team, etc.

Interview Questions
    • No extremely difficult questions.
      Unexpected questions: Describe what pH is and what is the difference between organic and inorganic?
        Answer Question
    No negotiation but was offered a very competitive salary.

Internship Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Cargill.

Recruiters were looking for interns for the summer internship. Selected only 10 students for the intership, while only 3 were selected for the positions. Interview is very behavioral and less technical.

Interview Questions
    • Is there anything else that you want us to know about you?   Answer Question

Lab Tech Interview

Three interviews, was not organized at all. Some people asked me the same questions. Questions were mostly about my past work experience and how I could apply those skills working for Cargill. Had to pass a physical (to see if I was physically fit enough for the job, like lifting items, shoveling, hand/eye coordination, etc.) and a drug screen. Everyone was nice, but they acted like they would rather be somewhere else than interviewing.

Interview Questions
    • I had to remember how I handled certain types of situations. They also asked some questions to find out what I would do if something happened. Had to arrange tasks in order of importance.   Answer Question
    No negotiation, I had to accept what was offered