Cargill Interview Questions

Updated Oct 16, 2014
Updated Oct 16, 2014

Engineer Intern Interview

I applied through college or university. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cargill.

General behavioral questions. Nothing extremely difficult.

Tax Analyst Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayzata, MN

I applied online – interviewed at Cargill.

Went really well. All the interviewers are very professional and friendly.

Marketing Intern Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayzata, MN

I applied through an employee referral – interviewed at Cargill.

Formal atmosphere, wear business attire.

Interview Questions
    • They wanted someone with experience in excel, powerpoint, SPSS, and outlook.

1. Tell me a time you oversaw a process from start to finish.
      2. Tell me about a time you contributed to a project.
      3. In your work, when do you know something is going wrong? What puts up red flags in your mind?
      4. What do you want out of an internship here?
        Answer Question

Human Resources Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied online. The process took 2 daysinterviewed at Cargill in June 2013.

Clear and direct interview process, very friendly staff!

Interview Questions

I was happy with my current job!

Production Associate Interview

I applied through college or university – interviewed at Cargill.

Submitted my resume at a career fair, and got an on campus interview. I was later contacted about a second interview. The second interview was in Wayzata, MN, and consisted of three 45 minute interviews with three different managers. All behavioral based questions.

Interview Questions
    • Name a time when you worked in a group with someone who wasn't doing their job. How did you deal with the situation?   Answer Question

Associate Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Wayzata, MN

I applied through an employee referral. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cargill in May 2013.

I was interviewed on the phone separately by a human resources professional and the hiring manager. I then submitted copies of my work. Finally, I had a face-to-face interview with the hiring managers. The process was very professional and enhanced my desire to be hired by the company (I had two other live offers at the time).

Interview Questions
    • I do not recall any difficult or "trick" questions. I was asked how I would respond to deadlines and pressure.   View Answer
    There was no opportunity to negotiate - the offer was standard for the position.

Accounting Interview

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Cargill in May 2013.

I applied online but had a friend who had worked there recommended me to the immediate hiring manager. The interview questions were fairly easy. They focused a lot on behavior questions: what if, tell me a time when. Team work seemed to be a big factor. Be ready to answer your personal achievements as well.
     They did not specify the time they needed me to start working so I told them I could start on September when I got back to school (the interview took place in May). They did call me back but by that time I got another internship and declined the offer.

Another job offer

Accounting Analyst, Structured Finance Group Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkins, MN
    Anonymous Interview Candidate in Hopkins, MN

I applied through a recruiter. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Cargill in April 2013.

The process took a few weeks from when I applied to when I was called for a phone screen. Then it was another week or so before I heard back that I had been selected for an office interview. The entire process took a little over a month to be completed.

The interview was conducted in 3 rounds of 45 minute interviews with two people interviewing you at a time who worked for Structured Finance. It was a mix of managers and staff, each with their own sets of questions, and was rather disorganized as neither would take the lead in guiding the interview process. I also had to repeatedly answer the same question for each new group of interviewers as it was obvious no one had compared notes about what would be asked.

The people were nice and listened intently to my answers to their questions. Everything was behavioral based; some unique questions specific to my resume and experience, others the standard "what are your weaknesses and strengths".

Although I considered this a good interview, I could tell by the time the senior manager came into the room that the group was looking for someone who would say "I want to stay in Structured Finance forever". Most of the staff started at Cargill as their first job out of college and have been obtaining graduate education etc, but only to continue their career in their group. Even the Sr. Mgr. said that Cargill is very insular, each business line/unit only putzing around with their specific product and having little awareness or care of what happens in other parts of the company if it doesn't directly relate to their work product.

Though the group works in a very unique niche of financial services, on hindsight I am glad they did not make me an offer as the work culture is very stagnant in comparison to other public companies of its size.

As a helpful FYI, the salary being offered was less than $65K; HR hinted it floated in the high $50Ks with performance bonus included in the compensation...but work hours were about 50 hrs/wk half the time.

Interview Questions
    • None. Review your basic behavioral questions and you'll do fine.   Answer Question

Process Engineer Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

I applied through college or university. The process took 3 weeksinterviewed at Cargill in March 2013.

Initial interview at a college job fair. Within a week was offered another interview in Minneapolis location. Interviewed with about 20 other people. Had lunch with interviewers afterwards. Everyone was very nice and polite and fun to talk to. Two days later I got a call saying, "thanks for the interview, everyone had nice things to say about you, however we don't think you fit in any of our open positions." So I have no idea what went wrong.

Regulatory Intern Interview

I applied online to another position, but was contacted by a recruiter for this position. (They were contacting all previous applicants who met the basic requirements.) We set up a phone interview. The first half of the interview was mainly going over my resume and lots of behavioral questions. The remaining half was reserved for questions that I had.

Interview Questions
    • Describe a time when you had an idea and everyone was against it.   Answer Question