Caribou Coffee Interview Questions

Updated Jun 18, 2015

2.2

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

Loved the people that I interviewed with. The first interview was more formal and we spent about 5 mins asking questions the rest was just talking about the position and ourselves. I had to bring my backpack but that didn't deter them. Was called back in about 2 days for second interview with shift supervisor he was really nice and we just ended up talking and laughing for about 30 minutes. He offered me another free drink because he was 15 minutes late.

Interview Questions

• What kinda drink would you be   1 Answer
    • What animal would you be   1 Answer

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online – interviewed at Caribou Coffee.

Interview

It was very laid back, as far as interviews go, and the managers and other employees were friendly and made me feel welcome. I was introduced to everyone immediately and was treated with respect from everyone there. The questions were unique and unexpected, but effective. Be sure to know of a time when you were in a difficult situation, and how you resolved it, i.e. with a previous job or school situation! They ask quirky questions such as 'If you were a drink, what kind would you be and why?' (I said iced vanilla latte!) and 'If you were an animal, what would you be and why?'

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a slightly higher wage based on my previous experience, the manager was willing to listen and open to negotiation.

Barista/Team Member Interview

Anonymous Employee in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (Saint Paul, MN) in March 2015.

Interview

Like most people I applied online to multiple locations around my area. The application was easy enough and I appreciated that I was able to instantly show my interest to other locations with the check of a box.

I got a call four days later from one of the managers saying he "stumbled across my application" and would like to set up an interview a couple days later.

I arrived 10 minutes early, was given a free drink, and was asked to take a seat and wait until the manager got back from the bank. When the manager finally returned his employees tried to tell him I was here for an interview but their words fell of def ears. Once the interview began the questions seemed a little odd. Few of the ones in the beginning were even about me. Instead he asked me about how I thought his current team worked together (I had never seen any of them before entering for the interview) and how the customer care was based on what I had observed waiting for the interview. He also questioned me on what I thought about the stores product display as well as its cleanliness. He interrupted the interview twice to chat to people leaving the building, as well as help an employee. The rest of the time was approximately 35 more minutes of him asking me "Tell me a time when you..." questions which were extremely annoying to answer especially since be seemed to become less interested in my answers as the interview progressed. None of the questions seemed to assess my abilities or interests and I had to make an effort to mention my strengths, values, or who I was as a person. Unless what animal or drink I would be and how I eat an Oreo is all he needs.

At the end of the interview he made me a job offer which he said he did at the end of all interviews because he liked to see people's reactions which In my opinion is not why you should offer someone a job. display

Interview Questions

I accepted the offer after the interview, however I am planning on calling tomorrow to say I don't think I'm the person he's looking for. I was honestly very unimpressed the the amount of unprofessionalism shown during the interview process and I could feel I was not going to get along with the manager. I am away from the interview asking myself what I had just done?

Assistant Store Manager Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Caribou Coffee.

Interview

I was greeted by team members and offered something to drink. I didn't know whether they were offering to "give" me something or if they were just offering to accommodate me,so I just asked for water... Turns out the standard is to give you a coffee drink.

I was interviewed by the store manager. She was friendly and professional. I was asked very strange questions so I wasn't able to rely on any canned answers, but the interview was more laid back than others I've had.

I was called the next day and asked to come back for a second interview with the District Manager He was also very friendly and easy to talk to.

Interview Questions

• Of you were shrunk to the size of a pencil and put into a blender, how would you get out.   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

When I came in, they asked me to sit at one of the tables and wait for a few minutes for the interview. The woman who interviewed me was very friendly and laid back, it seemed like a conversation with a friend rather than an actual interview. It went very well, none of the questions were extremely difficult and some of them were not standard interview questions, such as "What animal would you be and why?". I think they're mostly after a good and friendly personality. After I had finished with the woman, she even offered me a free drink. Then her boss came over and talked with me about my availability and after I told him he told me he would email me a job offer and welcomed me to the team.

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal/drink, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Barista Interview

Interview

They contacted me via phone and scheduled an interview. I came in and they asked me if I wanted a drink. I sat down with the manager and she asked me questions about how I deal with people that are different then me. It went well!

Barista Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Eagan, MN

Application

I applied through an employee referral. The process took a weekinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (Eagan, MN) in December 2014.

Interview

It was a good interview, was easy to talk to the manager. Took about an hour with all the details and questions. I was also informed of the tasks that i will be required to do.

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeksinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (Westminster, CO) in November 2014.

Interview

My overall personal experience with this company turned out to be negative. First, I'm upset at how long the process lasted from when I got an interview, to when I got hired, to when I actually started working. I did two interviews on Friday then Saturday (November 14th/15th). I was told I would be called Monday to know whether or not I got the job. I patiently waited and was finally called the following Thursday(November 20th)and accepted the position I had been offered. I immediately filled out all my background check information and it wasn't until almost two weeks later (December 1st) I heard back and that was because I called them. I understand background checks take time, but it would have been nice to have had some form of communication during that time. So the manager called me that Monday (December 1st) and I went in on Wednesday (December 3rd) to do some preliminary stuff. The manager told me I could start training the following Wednesday (December 10th). When we were figuring out my schedule, she also mentioned that it might take a COUPLE MONTHS to get me fully trained because there weren’t many shifts available. I showed up to work my first training shift and got sent home for reasons which I will explain later. It had now been an entire month since I did the first interview and I was still not working yet. My second problem occurred when I showed up for the preliminary stuff. I thought I would sign some official paperwork and receive some information packets then be on my way. Instead, I sat at a table for two hours by myself, reading the orientation packet, signing papers, and going through books. None of that was paid. You can't have an employee come in and do two hours of training off the clock but not count it for whatever reason. The manager just handed me all of the packets and instructed me to read them, then she went to the back room to work on the computer. I had no idea how long I was supposed to be taking and how much of it I had to go through because I didn’t know if she expected me to read the entire employee handbook. I took my time going through and packets and making sure I was very thorough. My third problem is why I was sent home on my first scheduled day of work. When I went in to do the preliminary stuff the manager told me to wear nonslip shoes on my first day because that's the main reason she has to send people home. I wore my converse, figuring since I wore them every day at a previous job, in a similar position, they would be fine. I also brought a backup pair of tennis shoes just in case. Neither pair was correct. I confronted her and asked what I needed to be wearing because I couldn’t understand why neither pair was appropriate. What she failed to inform me was that there was a very specific brand that I needed to own. They are called Safe Step shoes and have these cross treks on the bottom. What made me frustrated was that all she specified was nonslip shoes. I had an entire week that I could have gotten them before I started work, but she was blatantly vague and there is no way I could have known. If the manager knew that was the reason she has had to send people home in the past, then she should tell new team members EXACTLY what they need to be wearing to avoid that issue altogether. I left the store downtrodden, disappointed, and determined to find a new pair of shoes. She told me once I found proper footwear, to give her a call and we could figure out when I could start again. She called me a couple days after that and left me a very odd voice mail. She said something along the lines of “Hello ___. I just wanted to know how things were going and see when you wanted to set up your first day. If you could just give me a call and let me know… and if you’re not interested in the position anymore that’s okay too. Give me a call here so we can figure it out.” I felt as though the manager was purposely being discriminatory towards me to get me to rescind my acceptance of the job offer. I have strong suspicions that after the job was offered to me, the manager found someone else that better fit her clique so she was carefully trying to edge me out of working for the company. My entire experience with this specific manger has been tremendously unprofessional and has left me feeling very upset and discouraged. From taking their time to get me started, the lack of structure the hiring process has had, to how little the manager had actually told me. She had not discussed pay with me and she said the position was part time, but she didn't specify how many shifts a week that meant. I am a hard-working employee and I feel like I was never given the opportunity to prove it. I called Caribou Coffee and explained I would not be returning. Two months letter I received a check in the mail for $2.63, a kind of slap in the face. I was so excited to start working for this company but because of this experience I will never be going back to even grab a cup of coffee.

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeksinterviewed at Caribou Coffee.

Interview

You are to apply online. I suggest calling the store manager and stating you have applied and would love an interview. Once an interview is set up, it is usually a 1:1 interview with the store manager. If the manager likes you, he or she may request you interview with one of their shift leaders as well. If offered the job, you must submit to a background check that takes 1 whole week. Once that comes up clean, you are hired and begin training.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a co worker who you saw give a free drink out?   2 Answers

Shift Supervisor Interview

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1+ weekinterviewed at Caribou Coffee (Minneapolis, MN) in October 2014.

Interview

Submitted an application online. Got an email a few days later, in person interview a couple days after that. The interview was great, felt like a conversation with a human (not reading predesigned questions from a page). All but received the job during the interview. Had a follow-up with a different manager the next day and accepted the offer proposed.

Interview Questions

• It was mostly conversational (but informative) questions like to describe myself and why I want to work at Caribou. They do like to throw in a question or two that are a bit silly to gauge how you answer them. Such as "describe an apple".   Answer Question