Caribou Coffee Team Member Interview Questions

Updated Jul 14, 2015

2.3

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Atlanta, GA

Application

I applied online. The process took a week. I interviewed at Caribou Coffee (Atlanta, GA) in May 2015.

Interview

Loved the people that I interviewed with. The first interview was more formal and we spent about 5 mins asking questions the rest was just talking about the position and ourselves. I had to bring my backpack but that didn't deter them. Was called back in about 2 days for second interview with shift supervisor he was really nice and we just ended up talking and laughing for about 30 minutes. He offered me another free drink because he was 15 minutes late.

Interview Questions

• What kinda drink would you be   1 Answer
  • What animal would you be   1 Answer

Other Interview Reviews for Caribou Coffee

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caribou Coffee.

Interview

It was very laid back, as far as interviews go, and the managers and other employees were friendly and made me feel welcome. I was introduced to everyone immediately and was treated with respect from everyone there. The questions were unique and unexpected, but effective. Be sure to know of a time when you were in a difficult situation, and how you resolved it, i.e. with a previous job or school situation! They ask quirky questions such as 'If you were a drink, what kind would you be and why?' (I said iced vanilla latte!) and 'If you were an animal, what would you be and why?'

Interview Questions

Negotiation

I was able to negotiate a slightly higher wage based on my previous experience, the manager was willing to listen and open to negotiation.

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 5 days. I interviewed at Caribou Coffee in March 2015.

Interview

The manager was really down to earth. It was more of a discussion than an interview. They say that they are looking for people who have a positive attitude and who have great personalities, so just be yourself! Show that you are able to think on your feet and maintain a positive attitude/keep calm under pressure. They will ask you how you will respond/have responded in certain situations to gauge how well you will do there. They will also ask you the typical interview questions, with a few unique ones added in. After the interview is complete you will be offered a complementary medium beverage!

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caribou Coffee (Minneapolis, MN) in February 2015.

Interview

When I came in, they asked me to sit at one of the tables and wait for a few minutes for the interview. The woman who interviewed me was very friendly and laid back, it seemed like a conversation with a friend rather than an actual interview. It went very well, none of the questions were extremely difficult and some of them were not standard interview questions, such as "What animal would you be and why?". I think they're mostly after a good and friendly personality. After I had finished with the woman, she even offered me a free drink. Then her boss came over and talked with me about my availability and after I told him he told me he would email me a job offer and welcomed me to the team.

Interview Questions

• If you were an animal/drink, what would you be and why?   Answer Question

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Westminster, CO

Application

I applied online. The process took 4+ weeks. I interviewed at Caribou Coffee (Westminster, CO) in November 2014.

Interview

My overall personal experience with this company turned out to be negative. First, I'm upset at how long the process lasted from when I got an interview, to when I got hired, to when I actually started working. I did two interviews on Friday then Saturday (November 14th/15th). I was told I would be called Monday to know whether or not I got the job. I patiently waited and was finally called the following Thursday(November 20th)and accepted the position I had been offered. I immediately filled out all my background check information and it wasn't until almost two weeks later (December 1st) I heard back and that was because I called them. I understand background checks take time, but it would have been nice to have had some form of communication during that time. So the manager called me that Monday (December 1st) and I went in on Wednesday (December 3rd) to do some preliminary stuff. The manager told me I could start training the following Wednesday (December 10th). When we were figuring out my schedule, she also mentioned that it might take a COUPLE MONTHS to get me fully trained because there weren’t many shifts available. I showed up to work my first training shift and got sent home for reasons which I will explain later. It had now been an entire month since I did the first interview and I was still not working yet. My second problem occurred when I showed up for the preliminary stuff. I thought I would sign some official paperwork and receive some information packets then be on my way. Instead, I sat at a table for two hours by myself, reading the orientation packet, signing papers, and going through books. None of that was paid. You can't have an employee come in and do two hours of training off the clock but not count it for whatever reason. The manager just handed me all of the packets and instructed me to read them, then she went to the back room to work on the computer. I had no idea how long I was supposed to be taking and how much of it I had to go through because I didn’t know if she expected me to read the entire employee handbook. I took my time going through and packets and making sure I was very thorough. My third problem is why I was sent home on my first scheduled day of work. When I went in to do the preliminary stuff the manager told me to wear nonslip shoes on my first day because that's the main reason she has to send people home. I wore my converse, figuring since I wore them every day at a previous job, in a similar position, they would be fine. I also brought a backup pair of tennis shoes just in case. Neither pair was correct. I confronted her and asked what I needed to be wearing because I couldn’t understand why neither pair was appropriate. What she failed to inform me was that there was a very specific brand that I needed to own. They are called Safe Step shoes and have these cross treks on the bottom. What made me frustrated was that all she specified was nonslip shoes. I had an entire week that I could have gotten them before I started work, but she was blatantly vague and there is no way I could have known. If the manager knew that was the reason she has had to send people home in the past, then she should tell new team members EXACTLY what they need to be wearing to avoid that issue altogether. I left the store downtrodden, disappointed, and determined to find a new pair of shoes. She told me once I found proper footwear, to give her a call and we could figure out when I could start again. She called me a couple days after that and left me a very odd voice mail. She said something along the lines of “Hello ___. I just wanted to know how things were going and see when you wanted to set up your first day. If you could just give me a call and let me know… and if you’re not interested in the position anymore that’s okay too. Give me a call here so we can figure it out.” I felt as though the manager was purposely being discriminatory towards me to get me to rescind my acceptance of the job offer. I have strong suspicions that after the job was offered to me, the manager found someone else that better fit her clique so she was carefully trying to edge me out of working for the company. My entire experience with this specific manger has been tremendously unprofessional and has left me feeling very upset and discouraged. From taking their time to get me started, the lack of structure the hiring process has had, to how little the manager had actually told me. She had not discussed pay with me and she said the position was part time, but she didn't specify how many shifts a week that meant. I am a hard-working employee and I feel like I was never given the opportunity to prove it. I called Caribou Coffee and explained I would not be returning. Two months letter I received a check in the mail for $2.63, a kind of slap in the face. I was so excited to start working for this company but because of this experience I will never be going back to even grab a cup of coffee.

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. The process took 2 weeks. I interviewed at Caribou Coffee.

Interview

You are to apply online. I suggest calling the store manager and stating you have applied and would love an interview. Once an interview is set up, it is usually a 1:1 interview with the store manager. If the manager likes you, he or she may request you interview with one of their shift leaders as well. If offered the job, you must submit to a background check that takes 1 whole week. Once that comes up clean, you are hired and begin training.

Interview Questions

• How would you deal with a co worker who you saw give a free drink out?   2 Answers

Team Member Interview

Application

I applied online. I interviewed at Caribou Coffee.

Interview

Applied online, got a call to do a job fair for all the stores in the area. Got offered the job. The interviewers were nice and the questions were funnier than hard. They're looking for personality in their baristas.

Interview Questions

• If you could be any animal what would you be?   1 Answer

Team Member Interview

Interview

I applied for the job online through the Caribou website after I saw a job opening. I was called for an interview and went in the next day. I interviewed at the store and was hired on the spot by the manager.

Interview Questions

• What do you do with an unruly customer?   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Saint Paul, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 3 days. I interviewed at Caribou Coffee (Saint Paul, MN) in August 2014.

Interview

I was interviewed in St. Paul by 3 people. I was slightly confused at first since the questions seemed kind of odd. "How do you eat your Oreos?" "What's your favorite animal?" "If you were a superhero who would you be?" It just seemed slightly odd that I was being asked those questions for a coffee shop. The first guy who interviewed me was nice at first but when I worked with him, he had an attitude and was rude towards me. The second was a female and was super bubbly and nice. The last one was the store manager and asked a few questions and hired me. I liked her for the time I was there training.

Interview Questions

• "What is your favorite drink at Caribou Coffee?" I love Caribou drinks and it made me wonder if someone who never had Caribou before tried to answer the question. I knew the answer but I loev every single drink that is at Caribou Coffee.   1 Answer

Anonymous Interview Candidate in Minneapolis, MN

Application

I applied online. The process took 1 day. I interviewed at Caribou Coffee (Minneapolis, MN) in March 2014.

Interview

I applied for the job and got a call 1 week later from the manager, saying she was really excited to set up an interview with me. We set up an interview, and it was such a smooth process! Our interview lasted about 15 minutes long. Overall it was a very casual interview - both of us were wearing jeans and my interviewer was wearing a sweatshirt - and before we got to the actual interview, we both had a casual conversation about ourselves which was a real icebreaker. Halfway through the interview, the interviewer asked me my availability and if I would be fine with $8.25 an hour, and she hired me on the spot.

Interview Questions

Negotiation

What is your schedule like, and are you okay with a starting pay of $8.25 an hour plus tips? Very easy negotiation.