Carl Zeiss

Relevance Date Difficulty

Field Service Technician Interview

Field Service Technician
Minneapolis, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Carl Zeiss.

Interview Details – Flown into Minneapolis, met VP, manager and regional manager. Grilled about travel, comfort with extensive travel and more travel. Technical questions were generalized as they knew that most candidates didn't know this technology, but in general a comfortable process. They did a good job of explaining the position. The hiring process was straight forward and well prepared.

Interview Question – Would I be ok with traveling 90% of the year!   View Answer

Field Service Technician Interview

Field Service Technician
Maple Grove, MN

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 6+ weeks - interviewed at Carl Zeiss in June 2013.

Interview Details – after almost a month dealing with recruiter i finally was selected for a phone interview;
- phone interview lasted 2.5 hours (i think, maybe a bit less, but not much), during which i was asked questions about myself and my experience.... be yourself, don't use fancy words.... explain everything in plain English.... they want to see and hear on how you talk and present yourself, and if you sound cocky.... and don't praise yourself like if you are the god.... if you do those things, you wont move to next stage....
- on phone interview they will ask you standard questions you can find on many websites.. (like this for example: http://jobsearch.about.com/od/interviewquestionsanswers/a/interviewquest.htm),
 i did not wait to be asked but rather blended-in standard questions into mine first question you are always asked: tell me about yourself....., this is pretty standard question and i guarantee everyone will ask it as first one... i was being careful to listen if he might have any questions from his side, and at same time not to forget where i left off....
- phone interview went well, and in a day i got phone call from recruiter letting me know i was selected for face-to-face interview....(last step), out of 8 people on phone interview only 3 were chosen....

for next step i had to fly to Minneapolis, for a day, a trip that they pay for regardless whether if you get a job or not..
- they did 2-interviews a day, and they allocate 3 to 4 hours for each....
- try to be the first one, that's what i got and its worth it, trust me....
- i flew to Minneapolis airport and got car to drive to Maple Grove, which is about 20 miles away, and it can take you anywhere from 45 minutes to 2 hours to get there, depending on traffic..... that always exists..... so give yourself time....,
  Maple Grove is very nice small town, lots of greenery...., hotel they put you in if you need to spent a night is Hilton Garden Inn, which is only 10 minutes walk from company headquaters, but they still have a free shuttle from hotel to company..... if you have a car, you can drive yourself.........or walk, just be on time!!!

- on a day of interview i came in 15-20 minutes earier, and was given paperwork to fill up...., job application and some other stuff, like release of information...... that parework i already filled up earlier (few weeks ago) but just did it anyeays..... (dont argue, if you have to do it again..... DO IT), and later on that paperwok was misplaced and never made it to H.R.m or at least thats what i was told.... and when i was hired i had to filled up again..... now be very carefull, this may be a tric, i heard that some companies do it...., to see if you give any different information at any time you re-filing paperwork.... and this company is very picly who they hire.
- after that i was given tour of the faciclities and then sat in a room for interview......
- there were 3 people there....; hiring manager, H.R manager and deployment manager..... i was told some other people may be present if they feel like and have time..

Interview Question – what is the movie i like the most...... i did not expect it, and was totaly caught blind...... and could not say anything for lilke a minute.....which felt like an hour....   Answer Question

Negotiation Details – during interview they told me how much is the pay, about benefits.... so after decision was made on their side, they simply told me: you got it!!

Sales Representative Interview

Sales Representative
Salt Lake City, UT

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 4+ weeks - interviewed at Carl Zeiss in January 2009.

Interview Details – Well, actually this was back in 1998 that I was interviewed and hired, right after I had graduated college. I was about to take a position with a pharmaceutical company, but a recruiter called me and told me to wait.... that I would love this position. I interviewed a few times with the recruiter, then with the hiring manager for the Western region. Just one interview with him. We clicked. I was offered the position a few days later after a few more questions from the recruiter.

Interview Questions

Negotiation Details – I didn't do much negotiating. The hiring manger said I wouldn't make as much my first year as I would subsequent years with the company, but he said, "If you don't make $50,000 your first year, you probably shouldn't be working for us." I made about $60K my first year, which was great because I was waiting tables in college.

Supply Chain Interview

Supply Chain
Thornwood, NY

I applied through a recruiter and the process took 2 months - interviewed at Carl Zeiss in November 2010.

Interview Details – I was contacted by a third party contingency recruiter who found my resume posted on a job board, he was not sure which one. We had a brief discussion about my interest and suitability for the role, after which he presented my information to Carl Zeiss. He was able to confirm an initial telephone interview with the HR person at Carl Zeiss within one or two days, which was a very positive performance. The job description was sent to me at that time. It was not very detailed, containing only five dot points, and left many open questions, which the external recruiter could not answer very well.

The telephone interview with the HR person occurred one week later. I was given a much more useful summary of the role, why they were hiring, objectives, challenges etc. We then had a fairly free-form conversation about my background and fit for this opportunity. I was able to drive the discussion, with mostly just leading questions coming from the interviewer. It was a friendly, frank, helpful exchange. The discussion lasted about 60 minutes, after which I was given very positive feedback. The HR person felt that I would be a very strong candidate for this role, and was excited to pass on my details to the hiring manager. He told me to not hesitate to contact him with any questions, and that they would reach out to me soon to schedule an onsite interview. They wanted to fill the position by year end, only one month away.

I sent a detailed follow-up note same day, summarizing our discussion and my fit for and interest in the role.

I never heard back from Carl Zeiss. I followed up many times with the external recruiter, with no response. Finally, when I told him I was going to contact Carl Zeiss directly, he responded. But he told me he did not have any information, and asked me to check with Carl Zeiss directly and copy him in. He thought they were too busy at year end to get back to me. I then sent several respectfully worded emails to the HR person at Carl Zeiss with no reply.

Six week after initial contact, five weeks after my telephone interview, one week into the New Year and past their self-declared target date, the third party recruiter advised that he had finally heard from Carl Zeiss, and that they had made an offer to another candidate.

While I understand that different people are at different stages in the interview process, and that it is very common to beaten to the punch in this way, I was disappointed by the lack of information from Carl Zeiss. I think that candidates deserve to be treated with more respect than this, particularly after such a positive initial interview with such strong feedback. I am posting this interview so that others applying for jobs at Carl Zeiss may have realistic expectations about how the process could go, at least based upon my one experience.

Interview Question – There were no difficult questions asked. The interviewer wanted to understand my background, experience, aspirations. He asked me to review my career from University to date.   View Answer

Worked for Carl Zeiss? Contribute to the Community!